FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

Something killed my chickens

(1/4) > >>

CSM:
Some kind of critter got into my daughters chicken coop last night. One chicken was totally devoured... nothin but a pile of feathers. Two others had their heads eaten off, but there carcasses were still in tact (mostly). And three lived through the attack. I'm assuming it was a opossum, so I set a trap to catch it. The last opossum that attacked our chickens had the misfortune of doing it while my wife was outside. She heard them screemin and ran down with the kids and our dog and scared it up a tree. I came down with a riffle and a flashlight which illuminated two eyes looking down at me from the top of the tree. I got lucky and managed to put a bullet through its nose with my first shot. 

Hopefully the trap will work and we won't lose any more tonight.

Nate:
dang!

South_GA_redneck:
I'm not sure what region you're in but is it possible it was a mink? I have run into problems opossums in the past, but thought they liked to start eating at the 6 not the 12...?

Farmer Jon:
Something got a couple of mine too. They are just gone. No evidence. Found one duck torn up. Don't know what it was. My son set a live trap and what ever he caught got loose. He was closing up the birds and heard something growling.  By the sound of it he said badger. (He has been taking wild life management classes) Googled what a badger sounds like and he said that is what it was. No way I'm going after a badger at night.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Farmer Jon:
They say a possum won't kill a chicken. They just suck eggs. Any possum I see around gets lead poisoning. Yea they eat ticks bla bla. Nope not having them around.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version