FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

Something killed my chickens

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bob Smith:
Sounds like it is time for something better than a live trap. Just saying

Wilbur:
Racoon maybe? I've heard of then killing entire flocks and only eating 1 or 2. That really sucks. Sorry that happened .

Bear9350:
We had a fox carry a couple of my wife's chickens off a few years ago.  I saw it happen one time. Went out to the garage to get some tools.  On the way back heard the chicken's making a racket.  Looked over and saw a fox with a chicken in its mouth.  I assume that is how we lost 2 of them.  The other 2 we had at the time I think the neighbors dog ate.  Saw him running off with one in his mouth also.  Nothing but  few feathers as evidence for all of them.  She just restocked with another 12 chickens for this year.

CSM:

--- Quote from: Bob/OlallaWa on April 24, 2017, 10:45:49 PM ---Sounds like it is time for something better than a live trap. Just saying

--- End quote ---

The live trap is just so I don't have to be there when it comes back... it will still meet the same fate as the last one.

--- Quote from: Farmer Jon on April 24, 2017, 10:11:58 PM ---Something got a couple of mine too. They are just gone. No evidence. Found one duck torn up. Don't know what it was. My son set a live trap and what ever he caught got loose. He was closing up the birds and heard something growling.  By the sound of it he said badger. (He has been taking wild life management classes) Googled what a badger sounds like and he said that is what it was. No way I'm going after a badger at night.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

I'm in central Kentucky... about a half mile from the nearest good sized creek. Not sure if we have mink around here.

CSM:
I guess I need to improve my trapping skills!  Score: Critter 3 | Me 0

First night, critter ate the chickens. Second night I set the trap, came down the next morning to find the trap was sprung and the bait was gone... but the trap was empty! Third night I set the trap, come down the next morning to find the bait was gone... and the trap hadn't been sprung!
Now I'm beginning to worry I'm actually training the critters to come to the chicken coop to get free food  :knucklehead: 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version