Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2002 Suburban Bumpers  (Read 10473 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: 2002 Suburban Bumpers
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2019, 01:06:46 PM »
I’m thinking hitting a deer might be the only useful purpose for the tubing....

Liberal
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »
In my mind there are a few unique reasons for wanting a bumper. 

Protection from collisions.  It could be with animals, other vehicles, or the surrounding terrain and vegetation.  There are three main areas to protect.  The first and most important in my mind is the radiator and on diesel trucks the intercooler.  Keep those intact and you can drive home.  Secondary to the coolers in my mind are the lights. Again, you probably hot that deer at night, and you need to be able to see to get home.  Third is the protection of the body panels and the grille.  Those items are just cosmetic, although possibly expensive to repair.

Most often times people that I talk to are most concerned with animal impacts, specificly deer. Sometimes these people contact me after they have hit a deer and need a replacement and are looking for something heavier.  Most vehicles I work with have a tall enough stance that a deer will bounce off the bumper and go under the vehicle.  It seems reasonable to me that while the body goes under the bumper, the animal's head may whip up and strike a headlight or grille.  In this case it seems reasonable to me that the head may do damage to the grille, but would unlikely cause damage to the coolers.  The brush guard tubing or grille bar may help prevent this.  It also seems reasonable to me that the head could do damage to the lights.  In this case I do not think just a grille guard would help much.  A full brush guard where there is a bar separating the high and low beams might help here.  These are really the only scenarios where I see the tubing to be helpful.  Due to my location I occasionally have some people ask me about collisions with a moose.  I guess in this case maybe a full brush guard would be more helpful.  Then again, if you hit a moose you've probably have more extensive damage and it might not matter much.
In the case of another vehicle I really don't see how the extra tube guards will help much.  Similar thoughts with driving through brush.  A guard might push sticks around your lights, but after clearing the front end it is still likely to drag down the side of the vehicle.  In some cases it might prevent a stick from puncturing the radiator. 

The next use case is somebody just looking for a bumper to mount a winch in.  This is rare for me.  I would estimate less then 10% of the bumpers I build are equipped with winch mounting features.  I would guess only half of those will ever see a winch.  In today's market there are also options for hidden winches in the stock bumpers for many vehicles.

The next group of people are those that just want to change the look of the front end.  For them the tubing makes sense if it's the look they are going for.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:05:41 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2019, 04:17:36 PM »
Good thoughts.  Thanks for sharing.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
Don probably just wants tubing for anchor points for his roof tent. Haha
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2019, 05:16:32 PM »
For those going through brush on a regular basis, running a quick disconnect cable up to a rack or other hard point might help. Get that long stuff going another way.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2019, 11:10:19 AM »
Wow, good thoughts, great discussion, thanks to all of you for participating!

Here's why I asked Brian to build a radiator/front end guard

The design is one of my favorites, roughly modeled from the effective ARB Bull Bars.

Being a creature of habit, and having grown up with HMMV's , Pengasuers, Ranger Jeeps, DMV's FAV's, and that family of special purpose vehicles, well, they pretty much all had guards of some sort. We ran them at high speeds through brush, and sides of buildings. When lifting them, I drug quite a few through the branches of trees in Kentucky, Arkansas, Flordia, Massachuettes, New York, Alaska, Germany, Korea, Panama, Columbia, and a bunch of other places. Most times the vehicle was operapable afterward.

The Burb will see zero flight time below a Chinook but, things hitting branches is likely for this family cruiser.

I do run into deer on occasion. One I saw actually entered the engine compartment through the stack of coolers. I doubt a grill guard would have prevented this 70mph impact, but it might stop a 50 miler???

I have experienced quite a bit of "Nose damage" on C-Max while driving on primitive trails here in the tuck. I kind of want to minimize that and keep the Burb "Prettier."

I plan to add limb risers from the outward corners up to the coming roof rack.

I have always like looking at the back side of two KC daylighters mounted close together on the top tube...not sure why... :rolleyes:
I like the look of a grill guard
I really like the look of this thing Brian cobbled together!

I will have to literally push a tree out of the way 1X-2X a year that has fallen in the road into my farm that prevents me from getting in, or going home in the evening after a couple days.

So for those reasons I opted for this beautiful addition and will proudly hang it on Ravin8 shortly
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2019, 08:23:41 PM »
I’d do it just for looks alone.   I like the one that curls up over the hood to but they are mighty pricy

Plus they give ya something to sit on while working on the motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »
A little work on the rear tire carrier tonight.  Started out with these couple of plates and a 2" tube that will slide into the 2-1/2" receiver tube welded to the swing arm.  These plates will be stacked to give them a little more stiffness.

The first plate was cut to slide over the tube at about a 10 degree angle.

The second plate will be slapped on top of the first.  This plate had groves cut into it so that it could be welded directly to the end of the 2" tube.  Here he second plate is tacked to the tube and the 2 plates are tacked together.  After this I welded the plates together and to the tube.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2019, 10:40:30 PM »
Don requested that there be some adjust ability in the tire carrier in case back spacing or something should change in the future.  He suggested something like he had done on C-max with a few set screws basically clamping down on the interior tube.  I wanted to do something that would be a little cleaner in my mind. 

I started out by welding a nut to a plate and then welding that plate to the inside of the 2" tube.

I then drilled a hole into a plate and welded that to the back side of the 2-1/2" tube.  To clamp the tubes together the bolt will be inserted into the hole in the rear of the 2-1/2" tube and threaded into the nut welded to the 2" tube.  The tubes will then be drawn together.  Should he need to adjust it for a larger tire in the future spacers could be added between the tubes to push the tire further away from the bumper.  It will not be a super quick and easy adjustment to make on the fly, but as this should only need to be done should there be a major change to the tires or wheels I was ok with that.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2019, 10:44:52 PM »
The next step in the plan was to weld the center hub onto the carrier to help center the wheel.  After tacking in place I thought the hub looked rather large and wanted to make sure that it was not to large for the hub spacing on the wheels.  The OD of this pipe is 4-1/2"  Here it is just tacked in place until I can confirm this will work.

Then I inserted the bolts that will fasten the tire to the carrier.  These are 14 mm bolts with the same thread as the wheel studs.  These will be welded in place after confirming the wheel hub size.

And a sort of finished pic.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2019, 11:54:51 PM »
You using an engine hoist now,,,,,!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2019, 06:47:02 AM »
Looks good. Hub should be 116mm or 4.56 inches.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 08:15:21 AM »
You using an engine hoist now,,,,,!

??   This directed at me?  If so I'm confused.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2019, 08:16:40 AM »

I grabbed a hub diameter of 130.81mm or about 5.15" off the box that Don's new wheels came in.  Guessing those might have been a little larger then the factory wheel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2019, 09:51:32 AM »

I grabbed a hub diameter of 130.81mm or about 5.15" off the box that Don's new wheels came in.  Guessing those might have been a little larger then the factory wheel.
Brian,

I just tried to stick my dial caliper inside the wheel to measure that hub. The calipers will not fit into the wheel recess from either side, (Wrong type caliper) but I can see that it is measuring something north of 5". So I suspect the 5.15" is correct without actually being able to verify. It is definitely not 4.56"

That spacing design is clever. Good idea. I will likely stay with these totally inexpensive but serviceable wheels forever, but nice to have options. Who knows what the future holds. I can say with certainty that I will not be using re-centered HMMWV wheels and Army surplus tires. Those things were enormously heavy. Taking them off SquareD was a real workout.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
Let me ask you a question publically about final coating your bumpers.

Throughout this build we have seen attention to detail and fretting over the most minor things. All that, of course adds up to one outstanding product, which is readily evident in the pics laid out in these pages.

So since you so, Well, I can't say the word, since I am striving not to be so coarse (See that Nate, the Warrant officer is trying to clean up his act). Well since you have put so much thought into these steel bumpers of yours, how would you recommend I finish them?

I am not going to use the globular matter sometimes called truck bed liner. It is all cobbled up lookin' and these works of art deserve a finer finishing. Something near but a tad short of something Tex, the Redness of neck, would do for his beautiful trucks.

Lets hear what you are thinking...

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2019, 10:21:27 AM »
Brian, he's implying that they're starting to look heavy and might require a hoist to move them around now!
Looks great

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:24:14 AM by KensAuto »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »

Throughout this build we have seen attention to detail and fretting over the most minor things. All that, of course adds up to one outstanding product, which is readily evident in the pics laid out in these pages.

So since you so, Well, I can't say the word, since I am striving not to be so coarse (See that Nate, the Warrant officer is trying to clean up his act). Well since you have put so much thought into these steel bumpers of yours, how would you recommend I finish them?

I am not going to use the globular matter sometimes called truck bed liner. It is all cobbled up lookin' and these works of art deserve a finer finishing. Something near but a tad short of something Tex, the Redness of neck, would do for his beautiful trucks.

:facepalm:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2019, 10:44:08 AM »

To move it around, lots of steel there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 10:47:28 AM »
How about getting them chromed?  :)  They would definitely stand out and say look at me. Plus they could be a locating device for getting your mulch extraction team in.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2019, 11:21:21 AM »
How about getting them chromed?  :)  They would definitely stand out and say look at me. Plus they could be a locating device for getting your mulch extraction team in.

m

Correct a signal beacon when you’re in distress in those mulch beds! Great idea & before you say it’s too bling or something crazy let us remind you that you did own an H3..... :facepalm:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »
Factory wheels should be 4.56. Maybe like you did for the mount, you could tack a second ring around the smaller one in the event he changes back to a hub centric factory type wheels?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2019, 12:36:00 PM »

Honestly, I like bed liner, not the really big chunky stuff with a lot of texture.  Something a little finer but still with some texture to it.  I like the texture for a couple of reasons:

It hides any imperfections in the steel really well.  I am not working with automotive body panel sheet metal class steel.  It is not uncommon for the cut parts to have some scratches and small gouges in them from transportation etc.. before I even see them.  Once I start welding and putting heat into the steel, it will start to move some.  Flat surfaces are no longer flat.  If I weld a bracket on the backside of the bumper, HAZ will leave a raised area on the front surface.  I do grind this area down.  If I am going to just paint or powder coat these area that area does not just need to be grinded, but sanded also, as well as every other inch of the bumper really.  There are some exterior areas where I weld that can not easily be grinded/ really cleaned up.  Painting over these areas with regular paint, just makes those imperfect welds pop right out at you to my eye.  Basically, regular paint is going to really show any imperfections in the steel/ welds, unless you go through the process of using body filler and sanding the entire bumper.  I'm not really big on finish work, it gets real tedious real quick, and if I need to start charging people to do all this clean up work it is going to start getting real expensive real quick.  A bed liner product is kind of like putting texture on drywall in your house, it just breaks up the surface to hide all the little imperfections.

If you do run into something or push something out of the way resulting in a scratch or get some rock chips etc.. it is easier to repair those damages a little more seamlessly.  Depending on the damage you may need to do a little clean-up work but you should be able to blend the repair into the rest of the bumper without to much effort.

What I generally recommend is a good quality bed liner on top of a couple coats of good primer.  Of course with any paint job, it is going to be all in the prep work,  Get it cleaned up good and get a good etching primer down first.  If you want to do it right follow up with a coat or 2 of an epoxy primer.  Then a couple light coats of a good bed liner product.  I follow that up with a coat of clear.  I find the bed liner products can sometimes dry a little flat or almost gray.  The clear gets the black darker.  I also find that the bed liner products will sometimes seem to hold dirt and be harder to clean etc.. I coat or two of clear seems to act as a release and help keep it clean with just a spray down.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
The next step in the plan was to weld the center hub onto the carrier to help center the wheel.  After tacking in place I thought the hub looked rather large and wanted to make sure that it was not to large for the hub spacing on the wheels.  The OD of this pipe is 4-1/2"  Here it is just tacked in place until I can confirm this will work.

Then I inserted the bolts that will fasten the tire to the carrier.  These are 14 mm bolts with the same thread as the wheel studs.  These will be welded in place after confirming the wheel hub size.

One thing you and Don could discuss is not welding in the studs, use what he currently has and that way if oyu out on the trail you have spare studs. Just drill the holes sliguhtly undersize or very small tacks so the stud can be knocked out when needed.  Just a thought. 

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:45:33 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2019, 03:51:28 PM »
I agree with Brian. You scuff bedliner no biggy. You have to use filler to paint it up nice, and every little scratch will show.
Bedliner also has grip when you use it as a step.(I step on mine almost daily)
Best way would be to paint over the bedliner (urethane) to keep it from fading. (something I wish I had done)

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2019, 05:41:20 PM »
Don you could use the KBS stuff on the bumpers, but then use the topcoat, too, which has the UV protection.

I painted my rear bumper black with that stuff.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2019, 11:10:55 PM »
Don you could use the KBS stuff on the bumpers, but then use the topcoat, too, which has the UV protection.

I painted my rear bumper black with that stuff.

I was actually considering the KBS stuff, but I've had terrible luck with it in a UV environment. Paint over it and you've got soft paint over kryptonite.

After hearing all the comments, perhaps the standard finish I give them is best. Acid etching primer, a two stage urethane product, then overcoat with some sort of urethane based bed liner. Painting over that is something I have never done, but I just may. I've found the stuff fades and really absorbs the sun's heat. Perhaps a clearcoat of a blast of urethane black or semi-flat black would provide a good looking finish.

And, I did not plan to make a career out of painting those things, as I am on a timeline to get ready to go...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2019, 06:25:10 AM »
Don, consider taking it to LineX. They have a newer UV stabilized bed liner guaranteed for life against UV fade and they have the ability to reduce the texture down to a minimum so it doesn’t hold dirt like a normal bed liner would.

The did the steps on my Dually when I went from chrome to black. There’s one near you in Erlanger

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »
For the most part I like linex, and think it comes out looking good.  Just make sure you talk to them and make sure they are going to do a good job.  I tried bringing a few bumpers to a guy local to me.  It took him a while to get to them because in his words the local dealership kept bringing in new trucks to line and he had to give them priority and get them done.  Eventually when he got to them he did a shotty work.  When it all started peeling off, my customer took it to a different linex dealer who looked it over and said the first guy didn't prep them right, and only sprayed the linex on about 1/4 as thick as he should have in most spots.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
I started out yesterday with the intent to weld that hub on for the tire carrier.  After tacking it in place, looking at it, grinding it off, measuring, making some adjustments, tacking back on and starting to weld it on I grinded it back off and decided I didn't like it and needed to find a smaller OD tube.  Hopefully I should have a replacement for this evening.

Then I started working on some other things.  When the swing arm closes I didn't want it to slide on the bumper and rub paint off.  I also wanted to make sure everything clamped up nice and tight though.  I purchased some sheets of black plastic UHMW to cut to size and bolt onto the bumper for slides.  These pieces are 3/8" thick, thick enough to drill a recess for a screw head and still bolt down.

I drilled and tapped the bumper for these pieces, and the drilled and recessed the plastic pieces before bolting in place.  There is a piece on the top surface of the bumper and the bottom surface of the swing arm to prevent rubbing of paint, and one piece on the back upright of the bumper where the swing arm will be clamped to.  I still need to do a little more sanding on the corners of these plastic pieces but the general shape was roughed in.

This was some pretty tedious work and was all I managed to get accomplished last night after helping one of my wife's coworkers out.  I think the guy had a 20 year old Honda Accord that was starting to rust out.  The exhaust had completely fallen off and the muffler shop wanted to charge him $350 to fix it.  This guy definitely doesn't have $350 to spare on something like this and the wife asked if I could take a look at it for him.  It turned out that the flange had completely rusted off of the down pipe and was gone.  I was able to pretty quickly fab up a new flange, and luckily there was enough material there to weld a new flange onto and bolt everything back together.  There was no gasket left, and I'm sure there is still a decent exhaust leak, but atleast I was able to get the two pipes connected again and the majority of the exhaust gas leaving through the tail pipe.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »
^^^ Looks good!

Line-X, OK I'll take a look

I had my Tundra Line-X coated back in 2001. The stuff faded and pilled up. Not a great coating in my view.

But if they changed their formulation, well...

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2019, 10:39:40 AM »
I think LineX can also do colors other than black now, too... now where is that pic of Dave’s cabinets for reference... ;)

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2019, 01:46:12 PM »
Did someone say ugly blue?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2019, 07:15:23 PM »
I believe Line x is still the best looking option, even after they had to redo mine after not doing it right the first time (but that wasn't the product's fault). If they do it in color, they mix auto paint into a clear base (instead of black), then spray the outside layer with the same paint so it "soaks" into the outer layer. Mine is matched to the truck, and is still perfect after about 5 years of Az sun, and hauling quite a bit in the bed.
...100 times better than Raptor I might add.
... and the Black option now comes standard with UV protection, without painting it. ..like Tex said.
They can texture it anyway you want, by holding the spray gun at different distances.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »
I have had Linex in 3 trucks now and no complaints.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2019, 08:16:46 PM »
I believe Line x is still the best looking option, even after they had to redo mine after not doing it right the first time (but that wasn't the product's fault). If they do it in color, they mix auto paint into a clear base (instead of black), then spray the outside layer with the same paint so it "soaks" into the outer layer. Mine is matched to the truck, and is still perfect after about 5 years of Az sun, and hauling quite a bit in the bed.
... and the Black option now comes standard with UV protection, without painting it. ..like Tex said.
They can texture it anyway you want, by holding the spray gun at different distances.
Picture ?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »

Did you match the duramax or the old squarebody?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2019, 11:31:56 PM »
Dmax.. I posted pics in the dot thread so as to not dirty up this one.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2019, 09:39:21 AM »
Dmax.. I posted pics in the dot thread so as to not dirty up this one.
Ah, Ken...This is why you're my favorite!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2019, 09:21:22 PM »
Back at it on the rear last night.  Started out by welding the recovery mounts onto the bumper.  These are the same as what I used on the front bumper.  3/4" thick and shaped to fit up with the bumper angles a little.  I set them up and weld them to the front and rear.   I try to place them along the main frame mounts to get a weld on those also.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2019, 09:24:23 PM »
Next up was stiffening the spindle hub up a little more.  There was a little movement in this area when I put weight it and I wanted to stiffen it up and add a little more structure to it.  The section to the backside was added and then boxed in.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2019, 09:27:02 PM »
Then I finished up the secondary pin latch on the driver side.   I had tacked this in previously but needed to set it in place and build an area for it to pin in to. 

This is what that will pin into.  I left it open to the back side so that there wasn't an area that couldn't be painted and so water couldn't get trapped in there.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2019, 09:35:42 PM »
Then I positioned and welded the bin in place.  Square tubing was added for extra support to hold the outer edge up.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
Before calling it a night I finished up the tire carrier.  I decided that larger 4-1/2" piece of pipe wasn't going to work, the OD was larger then I would have liked and it was a little short.  There wouldn't have been much hub to catch on before hitting the end of the lug bolts.  This is a piece with a 3-1/2" OD.  After the hub was welded in place the lug bolts were tacked in place. I'm going to have Don weld these permanently after he can test fit and make sure the lug pattern bolts up right.  It shouldn't be an issue but I would like to make sure the lugs are straight and the wheel will slide into place without any issue.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:52:12 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2019, 10:03:19 PM »
This afternoon the last piece of the puzzle was getting the passenger side pin put in place.  The original plan was to put this on the back of the arm so that it could be pinned open and closed.  When the extra gusset was added to the back side of the arm that solution was no longer going to work as planned.  There was not going to be enough room for me to pin it opened and closed.  The location of the pin was moved to the front of the arm, and the arm would only be pinned in the open position.

I placed another piece of the plastic on this side of the bumper to prevent the pin from sliding against the bumper and scratching paint off.  The front edge was bevelled so that the arm could just be swung open and the pin would drop in place.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2019, 10:05:39 PM »
With that done I did a little clean up work and rolled the bumper outside to take some decent pictures.

Without arm installed.

With arm installed and some pics of the latches and pins.

And one of the arm swung open and pinned in place.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2019, 10:16:23 PM »
Any estimate on the finial weight of that behemoth ?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2019, 10:30:21 PM »
175 maybe.  I will put it on the scale before it ships.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2019, 10:41:11 PM »
175 maybe.  I will put it on the scale before it ships.
I just pulled the stocker off this afternoon. Make it 30-40 lbs

This bumper you built, Brian, mimics the sea wall defenses the Germans erected at Normandy France!
;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2019, 10:42:26 PM »
At the rate the Burb is gaining weight, I may have to short track a LB7 or a LBZ swap!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal