Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1998 Jeep XJ  (Read 56906 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: 1998 Jeep XJ
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »
I just saw this Bobby. It is definitely possible that the freeze plugs gave....they are on the left side, behind the exhaust. Just did some last year and I think you can do all of them (3 I think) without taking the manifolds off IIRC.

Oh how I hope it's just freeze plugs. Maybe Murphy will be visiting someone else when it finally gets figured out.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »
who's this "Murphy" guy I keep hearing about? He seems like a jerk! ;) I hope the freeze plugs are your issue. I did some internet hunting last night and found some timing cover issues, coolant return lines entering into the water pump housings rotting out, all sorts of fun.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2015, 01:33:07 PM »
who's this "Murphy" guy I keep hearing about? He seems like a jerk! ;) I hope the freeze plugs are your issue. I did some internet hunting last night and found some timing cover issues, coolant return lines entering into the water pump housings rotting out, all sorts of fun.

Murphy is a real pain. I still haven't heard anything, so I'm taking it as it wasn't the head gasket. I did some searching as well, and I'm thinking that I possibly just had a freeze plug fail. It was definitely cold enough so there is/was an increased chance of it..
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
Well called the mechanic this morning and was told XJ has been ready for 4 days. And the problem.... There wasn't one, at least one that could be found. The freeze plugs were still present, the head gasket wasn't fouled. Best guess he had was the thermostat he put in earlier this winter failed.

So I get to go pick up XJ after I get off work.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2015, 09:40:51 AM »
:bugeyes !!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
So what about this murphy guy??
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
:bugeyes !!

That was my reaction when he told me that. But I'll take it over the alternative.

So what about this murphy guy??

He can come visit you for awhile. I'd like to continue to acquire parts to fix XJ that won't require me to give a mechanic vast sums of money to fix.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »
So the XJ is operating now?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2015, 01:49:31 AM »
So the XJ is operating now?

Yup, XJ is FMC at this time. I've been waiting to see if anything else decided to fail but so far so good.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2015, 11:44:52 PM »
So XJ is still gracing us with her presence. This afternoon, I had the sway bar end links and the sway bar bushings replaced. I had a shop do it; yea I know heresy, but I didn't have a torch, couldn't find the tap in case I snapped a bolt off, and it was all nicely seized up with the assorted winter grime. Plus laying in a puddle of ice cold water wasn't conducive to getting any work done.

The sway-bar bushing were beyond worn out. You could push up with a finger and move the sway-bar inside the mounting brackets and cause a clunking, now imagine driving over roads that are cracked and suffering from frost upheaval.. it gets kind of annoying. I assembled the end links, liberally greased them up with white lithium grease, then dropped it all off at the shop. A couple hours later and XJ has new bushings,end links and skid plate all mounted up. Unfortunately the old bushings were so far gone, I didn't get a chance to take a pic of them, as they basically fell to pieces.

So here's a few random pics just because we all love pics..

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:45:59 PM by BobbyB »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2015, 04:13:13 PM »
XJ is still motoring around. I haven't done much since the last update. But eventually stuff will happen; what will happen I'm not completely sure, but something is bound to happen.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »
UPDATE:

Nothing new to really report on. XJ is still rusty, still driving and that's about it. Although, I have been looking into adding a 99 Grand Cherokee to the mix as a backup vehicle.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »
Bobby, I checked out that XJ near my farm. Turns out the rockers in it are way rusty. I couldn't see the holes on a black jeep from the road at my viewing angle, but passing it Saturday, I slowed down the train and took a look-see.

Seems most of them have rusty rockers

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/xj-frame-build-741237/

I'll just leave this here...I think Don may have some time on his hands to help you with this project.....

Let me know if you need any body parts that are rust free.  Happy to keep and eye out and arrange shipping
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2015, 02:26:34 AM »
Bobby, I checked out that XJ near my farm. Turns out the rockers in it are way rusty. I couldn't see the holes on a black jeep from the road at my viewing angle, but passing it Saturday, I slowed down the train and took a look-see.

Seems most of them have rusty rockers

Yea, the rockers seem to succumb pretty quickly to it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/xj-frame-build-741237/

I'll just leave this here...I think Don may have some time on his hands to help you with this project.....

Let me know if you need any body parts that are rust free.  Happy to keep and eye out and arrange shipping

Dang! XJ's going to get some new stuff put on soon. Stiffeners, some suspension stuff, possibly some lights. I'm waiting for a friend of mine to move back up here from GA, as her husband welds professionally, so I can get it done right, as opposed to me messing with it.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2015, 02:42:06 AM »
Also, a couple months ago when I had the mysterious leak on XJ, Tate mentioned that I should check the windshield reservoir as the seals like to leak on occasion . I, for some unknown reason, mentally placed it on the passenger side... it is NOT on the passenger side.

No I wasn't putting fluids in the wrong place, I had a brain fart and just realized it. My bad.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:20:27 PM by BobbyB »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »
So apparently XJ decided to allow a few seals to start leaking simultaneously. But failed to allow it to do it more than weeping, so to spite her, I will make her wait to get them fixed.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2015, 11:54:58 PM »
Inconsiderate wench!!

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2015, 01:53:18 AM »
You should see all the XJs out here, rust free. I was looking for a steering shaft (non ragjoint upgrade for the sub) and found at least 8 without trying at picknpull.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
Inconsiderate wench!!

Possibly one of the tamer ways I could use to describe her. The leaks aren't bad, the rear pinion seal, the transfer case and oil pan seal need to be replaced, might do the trans pan as well. 2 of the 3 will be RTV'd, the other 2,I'll just end up ordering the seals off RockAuto.

You should see all the XJs out here, rust free. I was looking for a steering shaft (non ragjoint upgrade for the sub) and found at least 8 without trying at picknpull.

You're a bit out of travel distance.

However, I am going to go look at a 97 F250 w/ 7.3 either tonight or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:21:07 PM by BobbyB »

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »
Inconsiderate wench!!

Possibly one of the tamer ways I could use to describe her. The leaks aren't bad, the rear pinion seal, the transfer case and oil pan seal need to be replaced, might do the trans pan as well. 2 of the 3 will be RTV'd, the other 2 I will order the seals off RockAuto.

You're a bit out of travel distance.

However, I am going to go look at a 97 F250 w/ 7.3 either tonight or tomorrow.

Well, at least being a FORD is it the 7.3. Just be sure its a solid front axle Dana 60, not a 51 or flexy type ???

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2015, 03:23:09 PM »
Well, at least being a FORD is it the 7.3. Just be sure its a solid front axle Dana 60, not a 51 or flexy type ???

Well only really going to look at it as the guy wants $3,500 OBO. I did a quick check when I drove by and it looked solid front end, but I haven't gotten a good look yet. Went and looked at sable GSD puppy yesterday, but didn't get it, then spent most of the remaining time running errands.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2015, 07:11:29 PM »

Well only really going to look at it as the guy wants $3,500 OBO. I did a quick check when I drove by and it looked solid front end, but I haven't gotten a good look yet. Went and looked at sable GSD puppy yesterday, but didn't get it, then spent most of the remaining time running errands.
JR is right, pass it up if it has an axle other than a solid one.

BTW F250's had the Dana 50 flexy axle thing, so it would have had to been owner changed in the past...
But some folks did that.

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2015, 07:14:02 PM »
I just got some new beadlocks for the H1s and the guy had 2 litters of lab pups, I was so tempted, but the boss is anti dog right now.

I got a home inspection tomorrow and have been doing "cleanup" for that. Then back to the spartan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:16:13 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
I decided to pass on the truck without even going to look at it again in depth. Just something about it wasn't sitting right in my head. Oh well, no biggie.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
Got the new distributor cap,rotor and plug wires from RockAuto this afternoon, already had the plugs waiting. So this weekend I get to replace those, and maybe, order some other things.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:37:24 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »
that is good news bobby
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »
Giddy up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
that is good news bobby

Giddy up!

But wait there's more coming! More what exactly remains to be seen.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »
That was my Kramer reference from Seinfeld, in case the irony was lost in translation. I'm sure you'll get done before Don starts the paperweight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
That was my Kramer reference from Seinfeld, in case the irony was lost in translation. I'm sure you'll get done before Don starts the paperweight

Oh that is possible, but I really don't have a time frame for XJ. It's more of a slowly moving parts search then continue on.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2015, 09:06:08 AM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I heard that!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »
Well Saturday was the day that I had allotted time for myself to do the distributor cap, rotor, plug and wires. Murphy decided that it was time to rear his head and let slip the dogs of misfortune. The previous owner must have NEVER swapped the plugs and they felt like they were welded to the block; hindsight I should have swapped them myself soon after buying XJ. They weren't having anything to do with being removed. I did get the cap and rotor swapped out, 1 plug wire and the coil wire. In order to do that I had to play twister with the new cap, rotor and my wrist but in the end I prevailed.

Flash forward to today, after Confined Space Rescue Tech refresher, I was in the parking lot of my apartment when I felt a disturbance in the force,  quickly realizing that Murphy wasn't paying attention, I seized the moment and got 4 of the plug wires swapped out before my luck turned and Murphy once again declared "no go" and the front plug wire eluded me yet again, and so the plugs stayed secured in the block.

I do have some pics, but it'll have to wait until I can get the old plugs out to see how crappy they look. At this rate I'm almost afraid to replace the injectors... Almost, Murphy, ALMOST!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
hit them with some pb blaster or the like.  Try it a little warm also.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »
hit them with some pb blaster or the like.  Try it a little warm also.

I'm sad to say I'm out of PB blaster and WD40. And even sadder is I left my socket set up at my parent's so I wasn't even able to attempt the plugs while she was still warm.. Murphy is diabolical.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2015, 03:53:10 PM »
mix you a 50/50 concocution of this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CESDxCloCoQ (ATF and acetone)
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2015, 08:25:24 PM »
it works brother, I have tried it myself and was surprised

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2015, 08:33:04 PM »
I'm with the smart guyz here
Hit them with PB blaster, then squirt trans fluid over them, let that marinade overnight. Next morning after your 10 mile ruck march hit them once again with the PB Blaster and take em right out. Report MC...Read back.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2015, 08:26:15 AM »
Strange as it sounds, after seasoning and marinating overnight, before grilling give them a good right hand turn to tighten them. most of the time they are more likely to turn a bit in this direction which breaks the seal so to speak allowing you to remove them easier. I learned this little trick from a Mexican fella in the pick and pull yard. I was fighting with a seized alternator bracket bolt when he wandered over, and had it broken free in seconds.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2015, 09:16:59 AM »
I'm with the smart guyz here
Hit them with PB blaster, then squirt trans fluid over them, let that marinade overnight. Next morning after your 10 mile ruck march hit them once again with the PB Blaster and take em right out. Report MC...Read back.

I gotta get more of the spray. I have an empty can sitting in my hallway closet as a reminder. Gonna grab some after work.

Strange as it sounds, after seasoning and marinating overnight, before grilling give them a good right hand turn to tighten them. most of the time they are more likely to turn a bit in this direction which breaks the seal so to speak allowing you to remove them easier. I learned this little trick from a Mexican fella in the pick and pull yard. I was fighting with a seized alternator bracket bolt when he wandered over, and had it broken free in seconds.

I've done the right hand turn a tad, then loosen. These just didn't want to be free, but they will be free, whether they wish it to be or not.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »
is that aluminum head?  I ask because if it is an aluminum then the previous owner most likely didn't put anti-seize on the threads to eliminate the current different metal corrosion you are currently experiencing. 

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
is that aluminum head?  I ask because if it is an aluminum then the previous owner most likely didn't put anti-seize on the threads to eliminate the current different metal corrosion you are currently experiencing. 

Nah, but those plugs get tight on their own with miles, on a 6 cyl....it may have nothing to do with rust.
Long needle nose pliers (called storks by some), work great on the front wire. I would guess that you don't have storks, as most "normal" people...so
Just rip it out, dielectric grease the new one, and work it in, after replacing the plug. You'll need a swivel for the front one.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:39:18 AM by KensAuto »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2015, 12:22:48 PM »
Long needle nose pliers (called storks by some), work great on the front wire. I would guess that you don't have storks, as most "normal" people...so
Just rip it out, dielectric grease the new one, and work it in, after replacing the plug. You'll need a swivel for the front one.

If I was able to actually get my hand in there to get a grip on the plug wire I'd have a good chance of pulling it off. The AC compressor is right there and a real PITA.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
Yeah, sucky design...

I have faith in you buddy.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2015, 02:19:50 PM »
Yeah, sucky design...

I have faith in you buddy.

Oh that wire is coming off, I actually need to replace the compressor anyway, but its not in this months budget, and since winter is coming up, I probably won't bother with it since I roll with my windows down 90% of the time.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »
Update, got the front plug wire removed. Maintenance guy at work had some of the long needle nosed pliers. Took a couple attempts to get a good grasp on it, a couple choice words and it came off. Now I'm soaking the plugs themselves in WD40 and another CLP like spray.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
Update...

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:51:13 PM by BobbyB »

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »
Bobby,

Instead of using the 'insert pic' link, attach them instead. If you scroll up a few posts, Ken posted a pic of a swivel socket but it has a little paper clip icon. When you click on the pic, it opens up in a new window, and if the window isn't large enough for the full size image, a magnifying glass icon appears and you can click the pic to make it FULL size. Yours look to be inserted into the body of the post and that's why when you click on them they open up full size.

If you're posting from your phone you may be limited in the method that you can use to attach pics.

Hope that helps...
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal