Hello Guest

Author Topic: The HC spread!  (Read 64738 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
The HC spread!
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:21:53 PM »
Finally breaking ground on our home!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:47:20 AM by Higher Caliber »
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Groundbreaking Day
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »
Congratulations!  An exciting time for you all, I'm sure- enjoy
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 11:34:03 PM »
congratulations.  looks like Weston is in the back ground makin up for lost time.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 06:47:41 AM »
The work has just begun…

Congrats, its an exciting time!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:48:17 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 11:37:34 AM »
That's awesome man! We're right behind you, should be about a month or so... in permitting now.

Congrats!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »
Permitting is such a wonderful thing. Having to deal with people that don't have a clue what to do except this spreadsheet says you can't do that unless you give us another pile of money.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 01:46:10 PM »
No permits required where I'm building...
Here is what it should look like-

Molon Labe!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »
Nice, very nice. I really like the wrap around porches. The wife gets the three bay garage and you build a detached shop/garage close by?

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 02:34:18 PM »
Yeah, 60x40 up closer to the road. Part of it will be classroom area. Then we will have a large 8 stall horse barn with tack room and man office centrally located on the property.

Molon Labe!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
Looks awesome. It's always nice getting around the permitting crap, make things run so much better. Like said before, now the work begins! Congrats!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »
That looks great!

Can anyone say mansion!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 09:25:45 PM »
Ol boy was still out working this eve

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 10:04:42 PM »
That's a Cat 953C, yes?

That's my dream machine!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »
That's a Cat 953C, yes?

That's my dream machine!

We had a 977 at work, that thing would do anything we ask of it. Yellow however, not red.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »
Congratulations, we can all go there. How far off the road and acreage?

Maybe a little to easy to see from the air though,,,,,,,,,,

Thermal heating/cooling?

Looks great!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 09:58:10 AM »
I have been slowly buying out my neighbors. The parent property where the house sits is 60 acres. I own a twenty acre tract across the street and 160 acres next door is promised to me when the old man that lives there now doesn't want to mess with it anymore. The property I'm on now has 4 springs that run year round. Pond is always full sand stocked with bass and catfish. Abundant population of deer and turkey. About twenty acres of natural hardwoods. A wet weather/spring fed stream that runs year round. House is 975 feet off the road. It's by no means low profile. It is my wife's Camelot. (I'd live in a Morton building with a bunk bed) lol. We have 9 kids between us, so this should be enough room for them. There are provisions for a bug-out site within a reasonable distance on site that make the location even more perfect.

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
I like it

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 08:43:33 PM »
Nice. A little bigger than my 1 acre for sure.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 11:06:22 PM »
Very very nice. Love the farm house style!

I know i said it once already, but huge "congrats!".
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Nice. A little bigger than my 1 acre for sure.
That house and garage alone is more than 1 acre!

May have to have a poll on who has the most square footage, and we already know who wins that one!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 09:11:53 AM »
Congrats.  Great place you have going there.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »
May have to have a poll on who has the most square footage, and we already know who wins that one!

I've been reading Game of Thrones in my spare time, so the first thought I had was " Great Hall of Weston", and their banner would have a black Glock!

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 01:15:56 PM »
I am interested to know why you prefer the garage to be separated from the house?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
That, my friend, is a good lookin' spread there. Congratulations. Aesthetics aside, I wish my garage was separated, just for fire safety.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »
Congrats on the new Digs!! Should be a blast..
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »

I've been reading Game of Thrones in my spare time, so the first thought I had was " Great Hall of Weston", and their banner would have a black Glock!
Ken, that banner idea is awesome.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 02:16:13 AM »
There are a couple reasons for the detached garage... main one being because, "that's what momma wanted". Really not much to explain after that but also, grants a little more time in the event someone leave a pile of gas rags next to a pile of saw dust and tries to burn the place down. Then we have the fact that I can test and tune the lawn mower without filling the house with exhaust fumes. But most importantly, for whatever reason, the money of the operation, "Momma" that is.... It's what *she* wanted! lol!

I appreciate the congrats and kind comments! This is going to be an undertaking of mega proportions. I will keep this thread updated as we go! The greatest, for me anyways is on cold winter mornings, I can look out my big bedroom window in my shorts and flip flops ad wait for that walking venison doe loin to mosy by down the tree line at 150 meters, then step outside, and fill my tag... Is that really hunting?? No, It's population management! It's feeding less fortunate families.. (loins fer me tho). I will obviously still hunt my stands on top of the bluff, but I wont have to get up so dang early to make the trek. just get dressed and step off!

I am so tired of living in the subs I cant stand it! I mean, the other day I was out on my own damn porch cleaning the duty guns when one of my jerk off neighbors decides to call the cops on me... Yeah, that didn't go over very well! Did I mention, I was voted in high school most likely to be booted out of a homeowners association?? I mean if you cant use your four wheeler to pull up rose bushes without offending some hippy ass hole, what can you do anymore? One day I had a sick calf, so I took him to the vet and he shot him full of high powered abx's. One of those kinds, It's either going to kill him, or fix him. I left him in the stock trailer and pulled it to the house so I could keep an eye on the little fella and three days later, I got a letter advising me of all the covenants I had broken... (they didn't even ask how the calf was... he made it by the way)

If any of ya'll have any suggestions on anything during the building process, don't hesitate to speak up. If you have any experience with certain products, mainly windows! let me know!

Stay Staunch gents

Molon Labe!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 06:50:49 AM »
Pella Windows - out of Pella Iowa - owner is (was) a good guy, hunter etc. was dying of some form of cancer when I met him.  Great, American made products, but not on the cheap end by any means.  Have some cool features, in addition to high efficiency, like blinds (louvres) between the glass so they never get dusty or blow in the wind  8)

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:02 AM »
Cudakidd is right-on.  Pella makes a nice product.  I had Kolbe & Kolbe installed on my last house build, also a nice window. Anderson makes a good window also, I have 21 year old Andersons on my house now and have not had any problems.  I used Anderson windows on my recent garage-build too.

Caution: No permitting usually means no inspections;  so make sure your general contractor is technically proficient, has control of his sub contractors and visits the build site daily.  Remote build sites are often the target of thieves, so frequent if not continuous presence is advisable.  Install a concealed trail camera or two at the job sight.

You should visit as often as you can too and do so with a critical eye.  Its easy to get caught up in the excitement of the build and overlook or gloss over problems.  There WILL be problems.  Make sure they stop and fix them while they are easy to fix.  Its easier to get stuff corrected before the contractor gets paid than after.

We have built two houses using general contractors.  One was a semi-custom just outside of Clarksville, TN and the other one a full-on custom in the NW suburbs of Chicago.  Completely different but enjoyable experiences both times.  I GC'd a large house-like-garage here in KY and really enjoyed doing that.  The ability to spec-out every component and control the process was nice. 

If you have any questions during the build, ask here or pm.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:07:06 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
Windows: Pella are good
IMHO Anderson are tops. I have the series 200 in my casa, but if you have the cashola, then series 400 definitely. Lifetime warranty lada, lada, lada

And they hold up at like 8" which allows me to see out of that big scope sttiin' atop my M1A when I'm linin' up on a coyote.

HOA's...Yea, I'm wit ya!
And
Know what's funny about that?
I'm the HOA president here where we live!

We are mostly good old KY boyz and girlz so most things work out, but I learned the true definition of the word petty!

He has a trailer...they haven't weeded their garden...the light out front is out...They aren't building a garage and blocking my view...and on and on.

But the worst part

was, once as the presiding president, I have to entertain covenant changes and hold a vote.
So one day the recommendation is for no guns. No shooting of any kind here. Me...presiding over a meeting suggesting no guns! Sort of unreal? Yep, that's how I felt.
And the resolution passed! It passed...no discharging of weapons here. So on the forth of July and new years eve and times like that, I do obligatory mag dumps of whatever I have handy (Just cause I can)

So I feel ya...HOA,s or more to the point, real people living amongst wimps and pu___es is a hard thing to do.

So there was this 20 something who had this hot rod truck. He would come into my neighborhood and do burnouts. Said he didn't like the "Rich bastards (his words) moving into his area. So he would harass the women and folks here. I was away in Kandahar. I come home and learn of this, and wouldn't ya know it, he pulls one of his stunts, and right in front of my house. I think he was marking his territory or some adolescent thing like that.

So I marched right over to that house where a small gathering of hillbillies were celebrating their "Victory". Well I walked right up to this boy, say 25 and knocked him out. Well, actually choked him down then started on the rest of them. The police came and I had to go down and have coffee with the colonel.

It was a nice visit. He asked me not to kill any of them. I thanked him and his officers who I admire immensely for their good work and we parted company. I then went to that "Boy's" father and told him and his people to never come back on my street again. That was over 5 years ago and they have not been back. In fact some of them even wave at me now!

Amazing what sort of correction you can achieve with the proper application of discipline!

Sorry for the rant...the quoffee is flowin'

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 08:56:01 AM »
Says Don the DOT...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »
Why you beatin' me down?   :o

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
No BDBD (Big-Don-Beat-Down) intended…

Lose your phone again?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:03:27 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 09:13:49 AM »
I used Pella in my house.  I am a Super and Quality Control Manager for a CG doing Military Construction.  I will try to help if you have and questions.  Maintain presence on site and ensure that problems are caught and fixed early.  It will be cheaper to fix now and faster as well.  Can't cut it twice and make it longer.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 11:37:35 AM »
i would have to give a nod to anderson windows as well.  but that may be just because they are made 14 miles from where i grew up and a lot of the families were employed by them as well.  as a matter of fact you can see the anderson windows plant in the movie grumpier old men when they are at the ploka fest in down town stillwater, MN. (thats where i was born)

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&site=&source=hp&q=anderson+windows&btnK=Google+Search

sorry for the derail, not offten i get to talk about MN or WI.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 01:14:45 PM »
There are a couple reasons for the detached garage... main one being because, "that's what momma wanted". Really not much to explain after that but also, grants a little more time in the event someone leave a pile of gas rags next to a pile of saw dust and tries to burn the place down. Then we have the fact that I can test and tune the lawn mower without filling the house with exhaust fumes. But most importantly, for whatever reason, the money of the operation, "Momma" that is.... It's what *she* wanted! lol!

That's as good of a reason as any!  It's funny because although my reason is the same, my end result is the opposite.  My wife refuses to walk outside through the snow and ice to retrieve me or any tools.  So all garages, shops, sheds, etc are required to be directly attached to the house.  I might be able to get away with a short enclosed walkway, but that would be pushing it.  :)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »
Thanks for the heads up guys! My general comes highly regarded and a good friend of mine is business partners with him. We have an area home builders association that takes care of the riff raff builders like the mafia. I'm not sure if yall remember but we (in Joplin) had a little wind storm come through almost four years ago that destroyed a third of our town. Dozens of gypsy contractors rolled through and stole a lot of people's money and left them with half finished houses. Basically all the local GOB builders got together and formed a union... I mean an "association". They QC each other and keep everyone honest. If you screw up and fail to take remedial action you are banished from the HBA and subsequently your licensure. But regardless, my years as a young lad building the Dallas suburbs and supervising immigrants will lend me a hand here!

Secondary to that, it is only a mile from where I work so I can be an ever present thorn in their side... Thirdly, I have remote viewable surveillance at the gate and in the property shortly... My phone dings every time someone crosses the threshold. Pipe fencing and natural geography lend itself to only two routes by which the mounted individual could enter. I have been looking in to some options for placing a perimeter wire of some sort that will alarm when it's broken. But the cost is tremendous and with the livestock I don't think it will work.

Molon Labe!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »
i would have to give a nod to anderson windows as well.  but that may be just because they are made 14 miles from where i grew up and a lot of the families were employed by them as well.  as a matter of fact you can see the anderson windows plant in the movie grumpier old men when they are at the ploka fest in down town stillwater, MN. (thats where i was born)

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&site=&source=hp&q=anderson+windows&btnK=Google+Search

sorry for the derail, not offten i get to talk about MN or WI.

DOT ACTIVITY
Hey Nate, had an Aunt that lived up against the NE corner of the Prison Farm in Stillwater!  Used to sled on a hillside out the back yard and creep around the property some, but not very far!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:20:03 PM by cudakidd53 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 07:31:52 PM »
my mom used to do tours there at the old prison and I had a soldier from bayport during the beginning of the Iraq war.  small world definitely.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
Moving the ball
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2015, 01:54:18 PM »
Basement flooded a bit! Good thing we hadn't moved in the furniture!

Molon Labe!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
did you at least get the youngins and all go fer a swim?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2015, 11:15:19 PM »
Man,  the rich folk and their indoor swimming pools......

Congrats and keep us posted.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2015, 10:04:27 PM »
Got the footings formed up today. Prolly be pouring mud in them tomorrow... One issue found- with the rain it appears a bit of a spring has found its way through the natural voids in the rocks. Could be such a thing when we fill the water will A. find a new route and push out down hill where it's supposed to, B. Make its way around in the drain pipe we are installing or, C. Find its way into the basement. In the event C occurs I've opted to build a sump pit. Luckily the new spring is in an area of the basement which will be un-finished!
Progress pic

Molon Labe!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »
That is one serious footprint! Congrats and stay on top of your crews like others have mentioned. Nice that the water showed up at this stage. At least you are aware of it and can plan in some contingencies.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »
Got the footings formed up today. Prolly be pouring mud in them tomorrow... One issue found- with the rain it appears a bit of a spring has found its way through the natural voids in the rocks. Could be such a thing when we fill the water will A. find a new route and push out down hill where it's supposed to, B. Make its way around in the drain pipe we are installing or, C. Find its way into the basement. In the event C occurs I've opted to build a sump pit. Luckily the new spring is in an area of the basement which will be un-finished!
Progress pic

That looks like a nice training berm.....jus sayin.  Makes me want to run some drills
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2015, 11:42:40 PM »
That nice dual axle trailer looks looks lost in there. You can have an indoor range!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
That nice dual axle trailer looks looks lost in there. You can have an indoor range!!

Can't think of any reason not to train outside really!

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2015, 06:23:04 PM »
My little personal spot of heaven

Molon Labe!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2015, 06:45:40 PM »
My little personal spot of heaven

Super jealous... I'd love to have a private range like that.
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2015, 08:33:57 PM »
That's awesome.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal