Hello Guest

Author Topic: Long Range Caliber Selection  (Read 19475 times)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Long Range Caliber Selection
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
Alright, it seems like it is unanimous.  I'll plan on getting a trigger.  From the little research I have done it sounds like one of the plusses for the Jewel triggers is that they are packaged in such a away I should be able to install my self safely, correct.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2016, 08:07:24 PM »
Yes.  Pull the action from the stock.  Drive out 2 pins and replace.

good step by step here

https://snapguide.com/guides/change-your-rem-700-trigger/
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2016, 08:51:28 AM »
Earlier this week I bought a new stock for this gun.  Should get here the end of the week.  It is a Greyboe Renegade.  Greyboe is a fairly new company.  Somehow they are affiliated with McMillan and the Renegade uses the McMillan A5 stock shape.  Should make a nice improvement over the SPS factory stock.  I purchased the option that was already inletted for a detachable bottom metal.  I've got a few options I am considering and should be making a purchase by the end of the week.  Don't want to spend the money on a Badger Ordinance system for this gun but I want a good fit into the gun stock and for the magazines.

I figured I should do the trigger swap while I was at it too.  I've done some reading on the Jewell triggers and am a little concerned about keeping it clean.  This gun won't be in the field a lot but it will get out on occasion and I don't want to need to be worried about cleaning it.  I've read several reviews that the Jewell triggers need to be kept clean.  I know there are several options for the Jewell triggers and am trying to sort out which one is the best option for my needs.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
Earlier this week I bought a new stock for this gun.  Should get here the end of the week.  It is a Greyboe Renegade.  Greyboe is a fairly new company.  Somehow they are affiliated with McMillan and the Renegade uses the McMillan A5 stock shape.  Should make a nice improvement over the SPS factory stock.  I purchased the option that was already inletted for a detachable bottom metal.  I've got a few options I am considering and should be making a purchase by the end of the week.  Don't want to spend the money on a Badger Ordinance system for this gun but I want a good fit into the gun stock and for the magazines.

I figured I should do the trigger swap while I was at it too.  I've done some reading on the Jewell triggers and am a little concerned about keeping it clean.  This gun won't be in the field a lot but it will get out on occasion and I don't want to need to be worried about cleaning it.  I've read several reviews that the Jewell triggers need to be kept clean.  I know there are several options for the Jewell triggers and am trying to sort out which one is the best option for my needs.

Read on another forum that Grayboe is co-owned by the co-founder of McMillian Firearms. Granted I don't know for certain but it's feasible I suppose.

Here's another page talking about them.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/27/mcmillian-announces-greyboe-new-mid-teir-stock-company/
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2016, 08:02:06 PM »
Jewell triggers need to be kept clean??  I've run several competitions and training classes with my GAP with Jewell and I've never had to treat it any different.  I wouldnt over think it.  If you are going to put a new stock on it, go ahead and glass bed it.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »
I've read online that Jewell recommends taking the trigger out for every gun cleaning and cleaning with lighter fluid.  Also read some reports of discharges from bolt lift.  It wasn't clear what these triggers were set at.  It generally seemed to be that if it wasn't set really low there are no issues.  For my needs I would probably set it around 2 lbs and be ok.

Probably going to get the new stock and trigger installed and shot it this fall.  Then bed it sometime this winter. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:07:16 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
Yeah I'm at a little over 2 pounds. I drop test mine just to make sure. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever cleaned my trigger....still breaking like glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
The new stock arrived in the main late last week.  Considering upgrading these types of items is all new to me I can immediately tell a huge improvement in the stiffness of this stock compared to factory synthetic stocks I have handled.  The new stock also seems much more comfortable etc.. 

I ordered the stock for a DBM inlet.  I didn't order that yet so I tried installing the factory BDL bottom metal.  I found by adding a few 1/4" washers as shims to the rear hole between the bottom metal and stock everything bolted up nicely and functioned well.  This should work for the time being.

I am still waiting on ordering the DBM and  a few mags and the new trigger.  The gun fund is a little low right now with all of the home improvements and baby stuff going on.  I've got a few bumpers I am finishing up so hopefully they sell quickly and I can purchase the trigger atleast before deer season.  Hoping to do that and get some load development done before deer season the last week of Nov.

A few pics of the gun in the new stock:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:10:59 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
OH!! I like that stock!
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2016, 05:57:51 PM »
Looks sharp!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
Very nice
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2016, 07:33:53 PM »
Very nice indeed. See if you can get the adjustable cheek rest that bolts through the stock. Makes a big difference in getting a consistent cheek weld and eye position on the scope.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2016, 08:10:48 AM »
Very nice indeed. See if you can get the adjustable cheek rest that bolts through the stock. Makes a big difference in getting a consistent cheek weld and eye position on the scope.

I've been looking at that.  With how low my scope is mounted and the rise of the check rest much higher on this stock it is already much improved.  It could be just a little bit higher though I think.  I was thinking I might just get one of those pads that strap to the stock instead.  I think that would be enough.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
I was thinking I might just get one of those pads that strap to the stock instead.  I think that would be enough.

http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Long-Gun-Accessories/Long-Gun-Accessories/Cheekpads/Rifle-Cheek-Pad.aspx

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2016, 10:28:38 AM »
I was specifically looking at this one.  I few guys recommended this on another forum.  I think the rise would be enough.  Plus it has that handy zipper pouch to stash stuff in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXXPPBT/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »
Sure could work. I like a hard check weld. As in pressing my face into it hard enough to feel like bone on hard stock surface. That way I know for sure I'm in the exact same spot. YMMV

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2016, 10:15:37 AM »
Ordered up a Timney 517 trigger and Magpul DBM last night.

After more reading and research it seemed like a lot of experienced guys recommended the Timney over the Jewel for anything that was not bench only shooting.  Regardless the Timney will be a big improvement over the stock trigger.  If in the future I want to upgrade to the Jewel I know enough guys with stock Rem 700s that I am sure I could sell the Timney to get some cash back on it.

The Magpul DBM was significantly cheaper than all the other options.  The reviews out there all seemed positive on it so I thought I would give it a try.

If it doesn't fit the stock well of the mags don't fit/ function well I plan to send it back and get a PTG piece.

Everything should be in Wed.  That gives me a few days to install before I head up north for the weekend.  I worked up some loads last week that I would like to test out.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »
You won't be disappointed with Timney. (They are also a Christian company)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2016, 12:39:57 PM »
  If in the future I want to upgrade to the Jewel I know enough guys with stock Rem 700s that I am sure I could sell the Timney to get some cash back on it.

Found a stock Remington 700 action for sale on Armslist. I was tempted to buy it and eventually do a nice build, alas I had moment of clarity and said "NO..." So had I decided to give in to a crazy idea I probably would buy it from you.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2016, 07:44:25 AM »
Got the trigger and DBM yesterday.

First thing up was checking out the DBM.  It is a Magpul piece and it made out of there polymer with steel pillars for the action bolts.  I was rather impressed with it and it seemed like a good quality piece for the price.  I ended up paying about $35 for this piece where the next cheapest alternative is about $130.  Unfortunately it does not appear that Magpul made there DBM a Badger clone so it did not fit properly.  I already started the return process as I do not want to do any inletting work on this stock to make it work.

Next up was the trigger install.  Ken was spot on with them being a Christian company.  They even drop a little prayer card right in the packaging.  Punch a couple pins to remove the factory trigger.  Install the Timney and punch the pins back.  Put the action back on the stock with the factory hinged bottom metal and torqued the action bolts back down.  It really couldn't have been much simpler.

While I was at it I also made some adjustments to the scope to improve eye relief and torqued everything down properly there.

Should be ready to do some shooting over the weekend and check out the loads I worked up.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2016, 08:48:10 AM »
I put another 80 rounds through the gun last Saturday.  All of them were loads I worked up.  The whole while I was shooting I wasn't getting the groups I was hoping for.  I was shooting 5 round groups at 100 yards.  I could get 3 or 4 out of the 5 that would group great.  Usually touching.  But one or two of them would be flyers, opening my sub 1/2" group up to 2" or so generally. 
I shot about 30 rounds then decided to switch the scopes out to make sure it wasn't the scope.  That didn't help.  Later that night studying the targets a little I determined it had to be me and not the gun.  If I were to lay all the groups on top of each the good portions of my group were very consistent.  For the 7 different groups (35 rounds total) I could watch the good portion of my group slowly drift up as the loads got hotter.
After some research and thinking I believe my issue was a poor/ forced check weld.  After a little more reading I found some examples of a quick and cheap option to build up a check rest.  I grabbed an old mouse pad and cut strips off it and layered it on top of the stock.  It's held in place by wraps of a self adhering bandage.  The bandage doesn't adhere to the stock, only to its self so there is no adhesive stuck to the stock.  To an extent you can also re-use the bandage.  Instead of the typical stuff you could get at the pharmacy I got some from a farm and fleet store.   Generally in the horse area.  this stuff is wider/ longer and much cheaper than the athletic stuff. I can still remove the bolt with it on but will have to take it off to clean the barrel.

Hopefully they get the corn off around the house soon and I have a chance to try it out.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:11:23 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
That's a cool idea!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2017, 06:31:25 PM »
So hows the rifle and stock treating you?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »
I actually just replaced that Vortex scope with a much nicer Burris XTR II 5-25 x 50.  Mounted it Sunday but it was windy so I waited till last night to shoot it.  The scope is very nice. 

I am still not getting the groups I think I should be able to get with this gun though.  Not sure if it is just a crappy factory Remington action/ barrel, the ammo, just me or a combo of the above.

I feel that I am doing my part.  I may not be able to 1/2 moa but I feel I should be better than the 2+ moa I am seeing.  Most of what I have been shooting has been the factory American Eagle ammo I got cheap but I have also put several reloads combinations down range with no real improvement.  I worked up a load with 175gr SMKs and 43.5 grains of Varget.  From what I have read that is the proverbial perfect load for a factory Remington barrel in 308.  No real improvement was seen.  I wish I new somebody close that knows how to shoot and could send a couple down range with a few different bullet options.  At least then I would know how much of it is me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:14:30 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2017, 10:09:56 AM »
If it is your last round going out the barrel might be heating up.

My 7mm is great for 2-3 rounds, then they fly.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »
Crown of the barrel messed up?  Really clean the barrel, only pushing patches/brushes forward.  Get out all fouling, copper etc. and shoot a 3 shot group at say 50yrds. waiting several mins. between shots and using sandbags/rest etc.  If they're not close to each other or touching, you've got either crappy trigger, crappy barrel or you're flinching.  I guess checking the fit of the barrel in your stock would be important too; looking for a bind somewhere along the barrel- should be able to slide a dollar bill freely under the barrel and between the stock the entire way down to the action, save for the mounting block of the stock to the barrel. 
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »
Are you shooting in a solid rest, or on bags?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
Shooting off front and rear bag.

The trigger is good.  I'm not flinching.  When I was shooting last night I tried to squeeze one off without realizing I didn't chamber a round.  Cross hairs stayed right on target.  I'm sure some of my fundamentals are flawed but I think I am doing my part better then the results I am seeing.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »
Did the Vortex go back?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »
Did the Vortex go back?

Sitting in the safe right now.  It's a nice scope but I don't really have any other needs for it right now so thinking about trying to sell it. 

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2017, 08:36:19 PM »
I wish I new somebody close that knows how to shoot and could send a couple down range with a few different bullet options.

If my work schedule would cooperate I'd help you out.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
Dave, on your groups.
I hope you are keeping a journal of your load data and results.

If not, start one. It's handy as heck when you can't find 'THE' parts you need to get a load that at least works good. You can look back and go well I got this stuff that wasn't too bad and roll a few up.

Go back and load up some more of the ones you had good groups for the most part with.
Try them again.

Also it takes thousands of repetitions to not make some mistake.
Don't beat yourself or your equipment up. Just keep at it.

If I were to guess one of your previous loads is the one, and something went amiss with shot 4 or 5. Happens everyday to one of us, lord knows I screw up from time to time...maybe even more than that. 
Practice practice practice...
I'm running into disappointments with my handguns.
Not terrible, just not what I want. They say pistol takes even more practice.

I have some grip issues, the appearance of the two groups on the left are all on me...
Just a visual showing a problem, I know the solution, and it's all on me with this one.
This was 150 rounds at about 20 meters, not real great, but definitely minute of scumbag.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:48:18 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »
What is the pattern?  Stringing up and down is generally breathing. Left right is slapping the trigger. If you don't have a depth gauge try getting one and handloading with .020 off the lands. Factory barrels are inherently long throated to eat any bullet shape and length safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2017, 11:34:50 PM »
Those look like my groupings there, at 25 yards. Hated when they had us qual off hand. I could do it, but a few missed.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2017, 07:47:33 AM »

If my work schedule would cooperate I'd help you out.

My work schedule is normally flexible.  If a nice day comes up and you want to do some shooting let me know.

What is the pattern?  Stringing up and down is generally breathing. Left right is slapping the trigger. If you don't have a depth gauge try getting one and handloading with .020 off the lands. Factory barrels are inherently long throated to eat any bullet shape and length safely.

My pattern seems to be all over the place.  On the rare occasion I can get something that appears to look like a pattern it is primarily horizontal stringing.  I've read enough to know that faulty trigger work is normally the cause.

I haven't tried loading off the lands yet.  The last few load work ups I did were to max mag length.  The SMK's have a tangential secant supposedly that is why they are supposed to perform much better in long throated factory barrels.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2017, 08:33:19 AM »
My work schedule is normally flexible.  If a nice day comes up and you want to do some shooting let me know.

Will do.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Long Range Caliber Selection
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
Bear my 300WM before it was sent to GAP had such a long throat I had rounds that were .120 over COAL by the book. When GAP sent the rifle back and I measured again I had to run all the rounds I had back through the press and bring them in about .130 to get a short jump into the lands. Before GAP got ahold of it I was shooting 2 inch groups until I moved the rounds out. Then it closed to 3/4.  After GAP worked it over it shoots much better than I do.  It's 3/8 capable but I still flinch with no muzzle break or suppressor on it.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:13:03 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »
Did you have them put a new barrel on it or do something to your factory barrel?  I have thought about just getting rid of the factory Remington barrel and replacing it.  Krieger, Bartlien and a few other of the well known barrel manufacturers are within a hours drive from me.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »
Yeah they blueprinted the action and put a bartlein barrel on it.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »
Bear, find out your max OAL from bolt face to lands.
What you find out will maybe give you answer to some of the accuracy issues.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Determining+COAL.html

I would suggest method two in this article.
But I would alter it slightly.
In addition to a slight neck size I manually 'loosen' the neck slightly to avoid sticking the bullet in the lands too hard. It needs to be tight enough to hold it still and firmly enough to extract and measure, but loose enough so as not to get stuck.
Depending on what you find, excessive jump, no jump you will be able to tailor your OAL.
If it's excessive and mag is too short then you need to decide what to do.

I've done this a few times with different bullets for my Anchutz .222.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2017, 09:54:35 PM »
Bear, I think I read a few posts back that you will be hunting with this setup. If so, I wouldn't try to over work things to bring 5 shot groups down to 3/4 inch or less. Setting the bullet right at the lands, and too light a trigger could be a problem for a hunting gun. Minute of deer or elk is a whole bunch larger than that, and if you need more than one or two shots chances are the last 3 won't matter anyway. For a hunting rifle, make sure the rifle is sitting in the stock properly and torqued in place. Work up a load using different  bullets and powders, that fit the hunting needs that is. When out practicing, clean the barrel after around 15 shots at most. For my hunting rifles, after the action and stock fit well, the barrel not hitting the stock, and  the trigger is smooth, I can work on reloads and get it shooting around an inch or so for 5 shots. Now if you plan on shooting against Tex, Bobby, Sam, or a couple others here, break out a few more bills cause it will get very spendy.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2017, 07:43:26 AM »
Yeah they blueprinted the action and put a bartlein barrel on it.

I didn't figure you would waste your time trying to set back a factory barrel and I doubt it is something a place like GAP would even waste their time doing.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2017, 08:04:47 AM »
Bear, find out your max OAL from bolt face to lands.
What you find out will maybe give you answer to some of the accuracy issues.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Determining+COAL.html

I would suggest method two in this article.
But I would alter it slightly.
In addition to a slight neck size I manually 'loosen' the neck slightly to avoid sticking the bullet in the lands too hard. It needs to be tight enough to hold it still and firmly enough to extract and measure, but loose enough so as not to get stuck.
Depending on what you find, excessive jump, no jump you will be able to tailor your OAL.
If it's excessive and mag is too short then you need to decide what to do.

I've done this a few times with different bullets for my Anchutz .222.

I've read up on a couple different methods to do this.  I should probably just buy the proper tools to do it though.  They really aren't that expensive.  I should probably load a few rounds up like this just to see what happens.  I would prefer to feed through the magazine though which is why up to this point I have only loaded to the max mag length.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
Bear, I think I read a few posts back that you will be hunting with this setup. If so, I wouldn't try to over work things to bring 5 shot groups down to 3/4 inch or less. Setting the bullet right at the lands, and too light a trigger could be a problem for a hunting gun. Minute of deer or elk is a whole bunch larger than that, and if you need more than one or two shots chances are the last 3 won't matter anyway. For a hunting rifle, make sure the rifle is sitting in the stock properly and torqued in place. Work up a load using different  bullets and powders, that fit the hunting needs that is. When out practicing, clean the barrel after around 15 shots at most. For my hunting rifles, after the action and stock fit well, the barrel not hitting the stock, and  the trigger is smooth, I can work on reloads and get it shooting around an inch or so for 5 shots. Now if you plan on shooting against Tex, Bobby, Sam, or a couple others here, break out a few more bills cause it will get very spendy.

I wouldn't say I intend to hunt with it I guess.  More like shoot a deer with it if one presents itself from the hunting shack when the crew gathers to make plans for the day.  It has a long heavy barrel, with a heavy stock and a heavy scope that I would in no way want to carry around with me.  I have other rifles for that.  This one will primarily be a target gun.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »
Just doing a quick re-read I don't think I ever posted I replaced the factory bottom metal/ hinge plate with a PTG bottom metal.  I went with their Stealth Tactical M5 style bottom metal and picked up 5 and 10 round Magpul PMags.  The bottom metal installed nicely.  The mags work well and everything cycles smoothly.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
Decided to sell this gun.  I wasn't really getting the results I was hoping for out of it and decided I would be better off in the long run selling this gun and going the custom action/ barrel route.  I will get more into that on a new thread I think.

Anyway, here is the gun before I stripped it back down to the factory configuration to sell it.  Should have somebody coming to pick it up tonight along with a some rounds I had loaded up for it.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:18:35 PM by Bear9350 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal