Hello Guest

Author Topic: Flip top camper project  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Flip top camper project
« on: December 09, 2022, 10:48:35 AM »
After searching for readily installed truck box fitted flip open rooftop campers, I am surprised (appalled) by the prices.
These people want your first borne for what is not all that much of a product. I mean looking at these things, they are relatively simple and don't involve much in the way of materials, yet a bolt-down shell that has no bottom, no anything save for a door, a bed, some canvas, and a couple of side access panels can set you back 60% of the cost of a whole new Jeep or cheapo truck!!!!!!

I am just having the hardest of time swallowing having to shell out $15K-$33K for something that is just not all that great. It has to be all in the labor and shipping. The Alu-Cab which is my favorite so far will run every bit of $20,000 by the time I get it installed. The super spartan 4-Wheel Campers is so bare bones, it's silly and it's over $20K and I have to drive forever to get it.

I am just not seeing it! When I started looking, I was thinking of finding a nice pop top shell with a bed for $7K that I could kit out and get on the trail pdq. But that is just not there, even in the used market.

Yesterday morning after breakfast with my local aviator friends, Duane mentioned to me, I should get a tig and build my own. That suggestion fell on fertile ground after reading about this excellent build:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/gladiator-pop-up-pass-through-camper-build.227973/page-4

This guy^^^^ has mad building skills, but so do I. He is more precise and obviously an engineer and exercised extreme attention to detail. Looking back on the camper build I did for the Real-Man adventure meet-up that never happened due to Covid, I freely admit, that build is not as good as it could get, by a stretch. But it's good, strong, serviceable, and inexpensive.

So, although I am not committing to building another camper thing for the JT, I am in the midst of doing a feasibility study of the idea.

Currently, I have sketched out a general concept that would serve my needs. I am exploring the weight and costs for various materials. So with all that said, I'll post up as I advance or abandon this idea. It may serve for a good discussion.

Right now, the design criteria are to:
1. Be somewhat unique
2. Give me the maximum amount of room inside
3. Provide for something close to a 52" X 80" sleeping platform
4. Be as light as possible
5. Be easy to build/use easy to work with materials
6. Be a fun project that I would be proud to use on the trail and drive around in.

With that said, I am investigating materials with respect to cost and weight
Under consideration is:
Aluminum
Polyester fiberglass reinforced panels
Wood panels (Baltic Birch)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Re: Flip top camper project
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 11:45:07 AM »
A couple army blankets and a blue tarp would work and not weigh much.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 01:18:10 PM »
Could purchase one of them drawer platforms, an actual topper, and a mattress, for pretty cheap. Then you still have room for tools and such, and a sleeping area. Would also be quick to install, plug and play!

Also helps keep COG a bit lower. Probably meets low weight requirements as well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 02:13:27 PM »
Could purchase one of them drawer platforms, an actual topper, and a mattress, for pretty cheap. Then you still have room for tools and such, and a sleeping area. Would also be quick to install, plug and play!

Also helps keep COG a bit lower. Probably meets low weight requirements as well.
Yes, I could, but I am staying on track to explore this possibility seriously.

I have learned so much while now having built several of these things that I think I can build an excellent topper for a fraction of the cost of the commercial units.

And speaking of weight, those topper/caps are heavy.

Thus far, I have developed measurements based off the actual truck and come up with a preliminary design. From that I now know the approximate exterior square footage of the build.

It adds up to 121.4 sq ft.

Using that fiberglass sheeting at around $150 or more a sheet, it weighs in at 2.45 lb/sq ft. for a skin weight of 297 lbs. No frame, no windows, no bed platform, nada, just skin. But since there is more skin than anything else, it's a good place to start saving weight.

There may be a lighter-weight variant of the glass panels, I do not know.

I do not know about aluminum yet

But I do know about the 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood. This is similar to the stuff some airplanes are made from. it comes in at a paltry .86 lbs.

So that same structure would weigh around 104 lbs vs 297. The cost of the best 1/4" Baltic Birch at Menards at the moment is under $45 a sheet. I'd probably need 5 sheets and have a bunch of waste if I used that.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 02:19:23 PM »
I am looking at possibly doing some neat things if I do this.

The first would be to push it out the back a little and to push the sides out past the bed rails a little like the 4-Wheel Camper product. Then angle it in near the top to keep the pop-up portion narrower. That would maximize interior room while keeping the roof profile leaner and reducing the weight carried higher up.

I have thought about the interior panels as well. I think I could get away with some hard insulation blocks wrapped with a fabric that is glued on. That would finish it while adding both R-value and very little weight.

In any event, I plan to run two longitudinal strips of the extruded aluminum channel the whole length to make it super strong while giving me a place to add an awning and max tracks along with a shovel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 03:13:08 PM »
...And I think I want one of these slick propane Maritime heaters

It's a Dickenson Newport 9000 BTU propane heater that was developed for the boating industry but took off with the tiny-house movement. It has been used in a bunch of flip-top campers as I may build. What's cool about it is that you can watch the "fireplace-like" flames while warming your tootsies in your snug little camper.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 03:16:41 PM »
I estimate this new $30,000 camper is about 5" wider than the stock bedrails, although this one rests on its own flat bed. But you get the idea. Going wider than the cab is widely accepted.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 03:26:35 PM »
Pretty sure I’ve seen this build thread a couple times before…… third times a charm?????  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 03:30:04 PM »
Pretty sure I’ve seen this build thread a couple times before…… third times a charm?????  :popcorn:
Second one worked...???

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 06:19:53 PM »
Second one worked...???

It did? So is it in retirement or? Maybe you should try to sell both the burb and the V2 camper as a package. Wondering if you shouldn’t try bring a trailer for that burb.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 08:50:14 PM »
I think that the aluminum would look great. But just because I deal with this at work I wanted to remind you of Galvanic corrosion. Putting aluminum and steal together could cause some issues unless you take the proper precautions

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 10:17:47 PM »
Second one worked...???
Did it work or did it get dusty and lost in the mess?  We have no proof of work. Just assembled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 09:24:12 AM »
Well, that camper is really a play house and "Fort" for the grandkids. It is currently a dry place to hide Christmas presents. It could end up being my remaining son's apartment if he doesn't straighten up and fly right! :likebutton:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 09:26:51 AM »
I think that the aluminum would look great. But just because I deal with this at work I wanted to remind you of Galvanic corrosion. Putting aluminum and steal together could cause some issues unless you take the proper precautions

I'll be over at Dan's on Monday helping set up the shop for Duane's project. Dan builds/welds aluminum things all the time. Has a good stock of materials, and is pretty knowledgeable. It could come down to cost and the ability to bend the aluminum (which I do not possess)
Well, unless I get that can of "Bend-All" back from Ken ;-)))))))

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2022, 03:32:18 PM »

Was this a reference to H? I’m sure that heavy weight has bent more than her fair share. Just didn’t realize Ken and Dave were passing her around…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2022, 06:47:27 PM »

Was this a reference to H? I’m sure that heavy weight has bent more than her fair share. Just didn’t realize Ken and Dave were passing her around…..

That's an awful thought!
I would fire or suspend you for that!

But instead, I'm pulling your "Get outta gettin' fired card"
You jest used it all up, all at once!

Now you're the same status as the rest of thems cattle rustlers out there.
Oh ma goodness, the picture in my minds-eye...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 05:34:26 PM »
Well, I think this is over before it really got started!

I was out with Kat today. The subject came up about my looking at all these jeep camper vids. I mentioned it would be nice to have one then participate on overnight trail rides. She seemed to be onboard with the idea...Cool

Then I mentioned how the manufactured ones cost an arm and a leg, so why don't I just build one myself?

One second later: "You are not building one of those. We are not going to do that again! Buy one already built and get started the right way without having to build something that might or might not work.

So that's that, Camper flip tent build is DEAD.

But

I think that Alu-Cab door is wide open!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Flip top camper project
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 06:12:44 PM »

I was out with Kat today. The subject came up about my looking at all these jeep camper vids. I mentioned it would be nice to have one then participate on overnight trail rides. She seemed to be onboard with the idea...Cool

Then I mentioned how the manufactured ones cost an arm and a leg, so why don't I just build one myself?

One second later: "You are not building one of those. We are not going to do that again! Buy one already built and get started the right way without having to build something that might or might not work.

But

Nice to see her talk some sense into you

You’ll be able to use it much faster this way, and won’t have to fight an endless pile of little pieces that don’t want to mesh just right.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 06:13:35 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 07:10:53 PM »
And, you can still post up all the inside changes you make. I think she is right on this one.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2022, 08:33:11 PM »
Butttttt did you tell her we had a cool name for it already? Tac Topper 3.0?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2022, 09:04:08 PM »
Butttttt did you tell her we had a cool name for it already? Tac Topper 3.0?
You're still fired
Everyone please disregard this person's comments
;-)

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2022, 09:30:07 PM »
Well Don, he does have a point. Camp trailer maybe, canopy not so much

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2022, 10:28:35 PM »

But

Ah shucks. Was looking forward to the, uh, err, crapstorm this thread was heading for.
Good call.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2022, 10:44:44 PM »

But

Ah shucks. Was looking forward to the, uh, err, crapstorm this thread was heading for.
Good call.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Lol. Chief I have to step in and take the blame here. I was going to change the thread name to Tac Topper 3.0

You married a smart woman. Write the check

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2022, 11:56:15 PM »
Someone change Charles signature to stroke a check!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2022, 10:20:45 AM »
Someone change Charles signature to stroke a check!

I can do that...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal