Hello Guest

Author Topic: Garage Lofts  (Read 16525 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Garage Lofts
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2015, 11:35:14 PM »
No, but what I'm storing up there I knew wouldn't overload these given the short span and the narrow depth. I did speak with them (lumber yard) and basically these two units screwed together is a residential replacement for a steel beam. If I was in fact storing the JK up there I would have delved more into the subject. In a past life I dealt with structural loads on fabricated items quite often, granted this is wood but there are a lot of similarities. So I gained a 4' x 13' loft for around $250 worth of material, pretty cheap square footage really. I only missed calculating the correct amount of lumber needed by about 12" was short one 2x4, pretty happy about that as well.

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2015, 11:41:09 PM »
Another thought or comment worth mentioning. I built this so that all of my equipment will fit under the lower horizontal beam. It is 26" out from the wall and bottom of it is around 66" from the floor. Now the 2x6's or upper horizontals extend 48" out from wall and the bottoms are roughly 78" off the floor so I can walk under those upper ones and then reach the wall with an extended arm. This will allow me to mount a bench to that wall or drive any of our vehicles up all the way to that wall in the third bay.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »
Thanks.  I'm trying to figure out the beam for a small building and haven't had time to figure out the load and the beam needed and just wondered if the lumber yard was equipped to do it or they just provide the beam and the modulus of elasticity from the mfg and its up to me to figure the rest.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2015, 08:13:50 AM »
Lumber yard should be able to provide the chart from their manufacturer at bare minimum. Engineering firm I used to fabricate for had software for steel beams to calculate load etc. If you google lvl a lot of manufacturers pull up & their charts are listed on their site. These beams also have info stamped on them, I'll see if I can get a pic of that for you.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2015, 10:58:26 AM »
For any engineered beam the specs should be on the web site.

How big is the building? My garage 2nd floor is all 16" engineered I beams on a 16 center with a 22' spread.

The main roof is a Versa lam 6x16 for the same span. Versa lams dont have a "up" side like a Glue Lam.

If its going to be inspected, you will need specs from an engineer. That might satisfy the insurance company too if that ever comes up.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal