Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1327135 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #9800 on: May 04, 2019, 11:36:49 PM »
Yep, that's how I see it. Water makes everything possible.

Yep, 700 xp. 2008.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:38:01 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: May 05, 2019, 10:09:29 AM »
Ive been really busy. Still hauling rock for the flood. 600 miles a day. I think I'm done with that now.

The other day my wife was in a fender bender. Not a big deal. Caught the bumper cover and fender then swapped paint all down the side. Shes fine just shaken up. Pretty cut and dried its the other guys fault. Estimate was $4,000. Replace the fender then remove and paint all the body panels. There was scuff on the tire so its getting an alignment also. Plus rental while its in the shop.

My new planter came in. I got rid of the John Deere Air seeder and went back to an old school type grain drill. Changed colors even. The new one is blue. Landoll.  The Deere had so many moving parts. A fan blows the seed from a central tank down the tube to be planted. Some tubes were over 20 ft long. Chasing clogged tubes was not fun. It was plagued with electrical problems. Maintenance was very challenging to say the least. This drill we got should be so much easier to work on. They haven't changed much in the past 100 years. Same basic design only heavier to handle no till applications and some electronic monitoring. Hoping for some dry weather so maybe I will be able to use it someday.
 http://landoll.com/home/products/farm-equipment/agriculture/5000-grain-drill/#fullText

In my spare time (very little of that) a friend of mine and I have been getting flood damaged campers for free to salvage. We have 6 or 7 now and have a bunch to go get yet. Taking them to his place. I take what I want and he strips the rest. He is your  typical junk man. I want a couple pairs of axles. One pair is going under the cooker/smoker I built a while back. Another pair for future projects. My camper is pretty old so I will keep a spare air conditioning unit, water pump, electrical converter, stuff like that. Some of them only had a inch or so of water in them some were totally submerged.

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: May 05, 2019, 02:17:40 PM »
I found this atrocious mess the other day.....nobody's fault but my own, because i didnt clean it the last time I used it....(last fall)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:18:35 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: May 05, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »
The rust was soo bad that it actually pitted the metal and i had to use a 60 flap disc over the entire top to somewhat fix it.

But after that was done and cleaned up, i seasoned it and of course had to use it to make sure it still works....lol
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:21:33 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: May 05, 2019, 02:20:34 PM »
Looks a whole lot worse than it is. Those clean up really nice. :knucklehead:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: May 05, 2019, 02:53:19 PM »
Think you missed a spot, now I'm hungry!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: May 05, 2019, 03:56:38 PM »
I found this atrocious mess the other day.....nobody's fault but my own, because i didnt clean it the last time I used it....(last fall)

Nate, that’s hard to believe you would abuse precious cooking equipment like that! Now if a guy named Dave had posted that up I would have no issue in believing those pictures or the story..... :tongue:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: May 05, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »

Nate, that’s hard to believe you would abuse precious cooking equipment like that! Now if a guy named Dave had posted that up I would have no issue in believing those pictures or the story..... :tongue:
Bite your tongue will ya. 

I cook with only cast iron inside the house and have never left a mess like that.    More would my Terrible OCD allow it.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: May 05, 2019, 05:38:34 PM »
honestly guys, you are witnessing me admit that I screwed up. (mark your calendars....lol)

but in all reality, I just sold it.  why you ask?!

this one takes up too much room.  I have a 2 burner camp chef stove that I am going to get a flat top for.  that way I can actually keep it stored inside and out of the elements and not take up so much room on my patio with all of my other cooking equipment.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: May 05, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »
I have one of those Camp Chef 2 burner units. We have a bag for it and a separate bag for the griddle. We really like it and it works good for summer canning too.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9810 on: May 05, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »
Is this a cooking or MAN forum,,,,,,,,

:popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: May 05, 2019, 08:39:19 PM »
I have one of those Camp Chef 2 burner units. We have a bag for it and a separate bag for the griddle. We really like it and it works good for summer canning too.
Second that motion.  I have the one from camp .:;::?;;)&: and like it.   Bag also. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: May 05, 2019, 08:50:55 PM »
Is this a cooking or MAN forum,,,,,,,,

:popcorn:

Dont hate jr.....if you ever get anywhere near my casa, you know youll eat like a king

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: May 05, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »
Not hating at all. I need to stay clear of you guys, I just lost 40lbs.

I love the great food, it just never goes away!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: May 05, 2019, 10:31:11 PM »
Nate, is that an older black stone? I haven’t seen one like that with the drain coming off the front side in what appears to be a gutter. We bought the blue rhino version from Lowe’s finally.... a week before having to step away from the house for three weeks... seasoned it well, and used it four or five times before I left. Sure like the thing.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: May 05, 2019, 11:44:11 PM »
Yeah, that was one of the very first editions of the blackstone flattop.  I bought it june 2015.

There were 2 initial problems with them. 

1. The front lip was way too short, so when you scraped the hot grease into the trough it had a tendency to splash out all over your front.  So to fix that, i had a piece welded to it to make that grease trough a bit higher.

2. The second inherent problem was the grease drain hole.  All they did from the factory was litterally drill a small hole and hoped that the grease would drain thru it.  But what actually happened was that the grease would actually drip/drain backwards underneath the grease trough.  So when i had the lip on the grease trough raised, i had a bigger drain hole drilled out and also had a piece of angle iron shaped and welded underneath to divert the grease out and down.

I think on the newer versions, they put the drain hole in the back middle?

One of the other things that really bothered me was the flimsyness of the whole thing.  Because of how they made it to be somewhat portable, the legs were held in place by one small roll pin with clip, and the lower shelf easily fits between the 2 legs and was held in place by a little screw on each side.  Had they put some sort of angle bracing on the legs and made it more stable, i would have been happy with it.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: May 06, 2019, 12:04:54 AM »
This am a buddy and I wired up some extra exterior lights

The country done that comes to mine Tracy Adkins every light in the house is on

I put on light above my garage In the front yard.  Four along the back side of the yard   Photo only showing three as I short purchased a mounting plate

Need to get some better quality motion sensors in the back but all in all.  These lights are awesome

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: May 06, 2019, 08:37:06 AM »
Have to go back to WORK to rest up after this past weekend. Spent Saturday on yard stuff and grading the potholes and whoops out of the driveway. Sunday the wife wanted to power wash so I interrupted the building of my shop hand tool racks and got the power washer out of mothballs. After I got it running the hose had de laminated as leaked so one hose down. Then had to root around the boxes in the garage to find the other hose. Then had to totally disassemble the fittings to get the hose off. After a half hour of that got the newish hose back on a fired up.

Wife went to power wash. After about 30 minutes she calls me and said the thing popped and was smoking. So back to mechanic mode and went to check it out. Looks like it had dropped a valve and then punched a hole in the head. Kaput!

I have never taken one apart so I thought I might be able to salvage it by buying a new head and valves and possibly piston. After taking it all the way down it splits diagonally below the piston and you have to pull everything out if the bottom. Because the valves are in the piston chamber you can't rotate it up enough to get the crankshaft out. Plus the entire top is a complete casting so you basically have to buy a new engine to repair this one. Nope.

In the trash it went. Will now need to buy a new power washer.

Then back to making 5' X 24" boxes with routed 1/4" slots in them every 3" for dividers. One made one to go. :)

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: May 06, 2019, 08:55:47 AM »
What make engine was that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: May 06, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »
Dave, don't much care about how you're blinding the neighbors,  but sure am interested in the D11r sitting in the front yard.
What was wrong with your truck?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: May 06, 2019, 10:23:19 AM »
Dave, don't much care about how you're blinding the neighbors,  but sure am interested in the D11r sitting in the front yard.
What was wrong with your truck?
Oh it’s the Tonka version of the D10 with gps and auto blade control.  You know. All the bells and whistles.
Also doubles as the mastiffs pissin post.   

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: May 06, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »
That is some light there.

Tell me that's not a Yamaha washer? I just picked up the one at Costco on sale for $289. 3100psi/2.4gal with driveway washer.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: May 06, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »
Made a double round trip to Reno, bought a side by side. Uhaul said they had a 1 way trailer until I got there. Then their 5x8 trailer is just 4ft 5in wide???? They measure the wheels too,,,,,,,,,,,

Was going to get out to the land at night to check it out, never made it. Got an address coming, of course via mail? Fuel is $.60 cheaper up there, got 15.8mpg.

Kabota at the dealer, tell me it needs the leaking hub rebuilt, $1100? Want another $500 for changing the Hyd fluid and filter, no thanks I will do that.

Kub dealer in Reno says just the hub seals probably is bad, 2-3 hours.

Getting estimates for the well, 20-30K for just the hole.

Pretty clean little machine, stock. Probably just do a muffler, window and get it wrapped.

JR, It's the main hydraulic filter that costs big wampum. I was shocked at the cost of the one for the green tractor.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: May 06, 2019, 12:48:36 PM »
Think the filter was $65, not terrible. Oil was $120 for 5gal though (need 11) where I can get name brand for $50.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9824 on: May 06, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
What make engine was that?

It was a Honda 6.0HP OHC similar to this one.

Mike

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9825 on: May 06, 2019, 05:33:32 PM »
Hmmm... My dad and I have a very similar one. The pump went though and he replaced that to the tune of about $100. A replacement engine would probably not be worth it and just buy new like you said.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: May 06, 2019, 07:18:13 PM »
Check northern and HF. They sell those Honda engines

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: May 06, 2019, 09:30:28 PM »

Yep. It is already in the trash. I replaced the pump a couple of seasons ago. It was rode pretty hard by my next door neighbor gardener in NJ. He put many hours on it.

I kind like the HF ones with the predator engine. Seem to have good ratings. Similar with Honda is only $100 more on Amazon though so it might be worth sticking with Honda.

Mike

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: May 06, 2019, 09:58:04 PM »
aahh.  I was referring to just buying the engine to replace your blown one

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: May 06, 2019, 10:53:32 PM »

Yep. It is already in the trash. I replaced the pump a couple of seasons ago. It was rode pretty hard by my next door neighbor gardener in NJ. He put many hours on it.

I kind like the HF ones with the predator engine. Seem to have good ratings. Similar with Honda is only $100 more on Amazon though so it might be worth sticking with Honda.

I bought an auger from harbor freight, which I believe is one of those predator machines. It is 100% junk.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: May 07, 2019, 07:41:57 AM »

I bought an auger from harbor freight, which I believe is one of those predator machines. It is 100% junk.

I will probably go back to what I had in a Honda. It honestly lasted a long time. And looking at the pics the valve stem on the intake must have broke that started the carnage. I thought it dropped from the keeper but the pic showed the keeper and stem still there. And yes it had oil.. :grin:  I have never bought anything with an engine from HF. Just grinders and tool boxes. Stuff like that. Thanks for the feedback.
Mike

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: May 07, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
I just looked and am not seeing any briskets in the food corner.

Costco finally had some, now I have one, and need to cook it...

Suggestions from out pit bosses?!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: May 07, 2019, 04:30:16 PM »
What do you have to cook it on/in sam?

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: May 07, 2019, 04:31:10 PM »
Got my big ole smoker at home.
Vertical unit have to open to add wood.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: May 07, 2019, 04:57:26 PM »
If this your first one, heres a very simple (k.i.s.s.) methid for you.

1. Get your smoker going to 275-300
2. Trim some of the thick deckle fat off as well as some of the other fat...(leave maybe 1/4" left on to protect the meat from drying out)
3. Rub a light coat of olive oil all over the brisket (it helps the rub stick) (Pay attention to the direction the meat grain is running!)
4. If you dont already have a rub that you have used before, just mix up some S.P.O.G. (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder) to your taste.  If you want a crispy bark add some brown sugar, and if you want a little color add some paprika.
5. When smoker has settled at temp, put brisket on and stick temp probe in it.
6. Shut the door, and DO NOT OPEN unless you have to add more fuel. And when you do open it, leave the meat alone....lol
7. When internal temp reaches roughly 190 F / 97.7c test the resistance of the meat with a temp probe (it should be able to go in very easy and have just a little pull back when taking it out)..a general rule of thumb is roughly 205-210F / 96.1-98.8C and it should be done.
8. When done, pull brisket, and wrap it in either a towel, butcher paper or parchment paper and let rest for roughly 30 minutes.
9. Slice across the grain roughly pencil thick (or whatever your preference is.

Once cut, there should be just a little resistance when trying to pull the slice apart.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: May 07, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »
Keep in mind that this will take anywhere between 6-12hrs.  If it gets done before your planned service time, wrap it in a towel and stick it into a small cooler that has been pre-heated with boiling water..(dump water out before you put meat in)

1. If you want a crispy bark, do not wrap while cooking

2. If you want a softer bark, wrap at 165F / 73.8C

3. Be aware that once it reaches 165F / 73.8C it will what is called "the stall", it means it will stay at that temp for quite a while while all of the colagen is melting.

4. To help get past the stall you can wrap

5. If you want it to get done quicker, bump your heat to 350F / 176.6C

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:08:42 PM by Nate »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: May 07, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
You can cheat after the 165 temp is reached and put it in the oven lol

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: May 07, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »
My only advice that is worth noting, is that you must rest the brisket after pulling from the heat for a minimum of 4 hours.  Yes, four hours.  Take a cooler and put boiling water in it to heat it up.  Dump the water before you wrap the brisket tightly with a double layer of foil and then close up in the cooler and leave it alone for 4 hours.

Rubs, and wrap/no wrap and even temperature are very debatable.  What I've found to be the truth from the winning-est man in BBQ, Myron Mixon is that you must must must rest for 4 hours.  It makes a huge freaking difference.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: May 08, 2019, 12:53:57 AM »
As good as it sounds, that is a lot of work and waiting,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #9839 on: May 08, 2019, 02:59:50 AM »
16 hours later of work today.   Home to a clean home, kids in bed, a fresh towel and a change of cloths to crawl into bed. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:25:46 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9840 on: May 08, 2019, 07:02:18 AM »
Our area rep for Landoll came to the shop today to go over how to operate the new drill. Should be pretty easy. Old school technology mixed with some new.

We will be running some late nights if it ever dries out. So, I decided to mount up some LED light bars on the tractor. One in front one facing back. Had to make a bracket for the front that attaches to the weight bracket.  I don't know what we are going to do on the back. It will go on the roof. Figure that out today.

No pictures because the camera on my Google phone decided it don't want to work anymore.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: May 08, 2019, 10:53:39 PM »
Since I’m going to have the smoker running with some brisket I figured I’ll go at some sausage too. Don’t worry boys I have two sides to my smoker. The brisket will be alone and safe.

Mixed up 15 lbs of medium pepperoni and 32 lbs of garlic. I make all my own spice mix from the jar not pre made cabelas or whatever spice mixes.

Here is the spice tub for 15 lbs.

I’m running a mixed load. Moose 10#, deer 17#, topped up with a freezer burnt flat my dad was going to toss for about 4#, and pork to make 47# total.

Here it is. Heading to the fridge to cure for a few days.

I use pickle cure for my sodium nitrate and my recipes are built for the salt nitrate mix.

With it I mix 6:1 with pickling salt, then 11 tablespoons of that mix per 20 lbs of meat.

Going to be a long Saturday...or Sunday...or both.
Will stuff the garlic sausage right before the smoker. The pepperettes are a real pain and I might do them tomorrow or Friday if I find time.
And if I can find my 2” casing I may do a pepperoni also.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:54:40 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: May 09, 2019, 07:17:35 AM »
One on the front and one in top of the cab facing back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: May 09, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »
Got a bunch of re-wiring done on the seahawk boat. when we swapped the motor out last year the guy that was "helping" pierced a bung of wires  at the harness to test for hot leads and didn't tell anyone or wrap them, then came the salt water. was finishing up what I thought was a pretty standard de-winterization only to find out 60% of my accessories had now power. Bilge, bilge blower motor, trim level gauge, tach, radio, temp gauge... none of those are really important right? so 5-1/2 hours and 60' of 16ga wire later we're all good to go. got a nice neck sunburn for my efforts and woke up this morning to a kidney stone. At least the sunrise on the way into Randys was nice. :undecided:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: May 09, 2019, 03:29:52 PM »
Retiree honor day at work this morning - my department roasted me in front of the rest of the faculty, doing a "belt buckle" routine from that insurance commercial with the ever increasing buckle size "more" etc.  Pretty funny video cuts with different members sharing memories with buckles that kept growing.  I've got two large trophy buckles from the National Championships I won - Laughed hard enough for tears to run down my cheeks - pretty funny stuff; as if on cue, I wore one of the buckles and a pair of western boots this morning as well!  12 more days at work 'til freedom!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: May 10, 2019, 07:30:39 PM »
Hows this for today and tomorrow.....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: May 10, 2019, 07:31:02 PM »
What ya doin Nate?

I went to the range with a business associate. Took $30 from him. He wanted to shoot hostage targets first to miss or hit the hostage lost. $5 per round. It took him six rounds to figure it out.  He kept trying different weapons with all kinds of lasers and red dots. I just kept shooting my glock 23

He did have a 50 AE with 325 gn rounds that was fun.

That’s the 50 next to my 40S&W

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:25:05 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: May 10, 2019, 07:31:44 PM »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: May 10, 2019, 08:24:24 PM »

Burgers brats and dogs anyone?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: May 10, 2019, 09:36:36 PM »
Nate I hate you. Last time we were at Sears point Kyle Bush stopped signing autographs as we walked up, then he won. (I don't like kyle, reminds me of stewart)

Kids weren't happy but got Stenhouse Jr's.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal