Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug Out Location Construction, Part 6  (Read 41050 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug Out Location Construction, Part 6
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2019, 10:33:46 AM »
And after two days of hard work, Spud the mights Kubota that could, is put to bed all dirty just as it likes to be!

That little machine continues to be the most robust thing I have ever purchased. It just roars to life, works all day and goes to bed with not a hint of a complaint. Well done Kubota! Well done!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2019, 12:36:45 PM »
Is the pond deep enough to dive into from the wall you built?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2019, 12:52:24 PM »
Is the pond deep enough to dive into from the wall you built?
NOOOOOOO

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2019, 02:51:56 PM »
Back to work then!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
So here's something interesting.

Kat just mentioned that she feels she would like to quit working and spend the rest of her's and my years together.

OK, tracking so far... She says we could do that if we built a nice comfortable home on the farm and moved there and sold this monstrosity!!!!!

I mean, I never thought about it, but man, it is actually possible.

I pay $6200 in taxes a year here, and $500 a year down there

My Home owners insurance here is $2600 annually. Down there, on a, say, $250K home it would be maybe one forth that amount. My mortgage payment up here is X.XXX.XX.XXX, well, it's a handful. Down there, I may have to borrow some money to build, or, after selling this place, I may not.

My retirement income is pretty healthy with my doing zero-point-nothing, so I could simply give her an allowance of what she makes now minus work expenses like foor, dry cleaning and so forth

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »
Don, put the foundation in this year. Next year frame it and get it enclosed. Third year complete it.....

Do the majority yourself and sub out what you don’t want to do. Maybe take a couple years to finish inside, what does it matter?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
Don, put the foundation in this year. Next year frame it and get it enclosed. Third year complete it.....

Do the majority yourself and sub out what you don’t want to do. Maybe take a couple years to finish inside, what does it matter?
This.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
I am just happy she has finally decided she wants to spend the rest of this time with “You”.  I am not sure Ken or Charles would handle all the unfinished projects that would come with you after she booted ya out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »

I never really thought about it, but the numbers flat out work. It is possible to sell this place and move down there and have a mortgage free brand new house on our 91 acres.
We are talking about it at the moment. I'm getting an idea of what kind of house she wants. We both agree that smaller and cozy and pass on the big house thing. Our current home is over 7,500 sq ft counting all spaces under a roof and is just way too friggin big. It is costly, and after paying for it, I'll have a country/neighborhood home in a plastic setting. Can't p_ss off the back deck, can't shoot, can't let the dogs run, have to mulch and keep up appearances, and I am just not so good with any of that

Down there life is real. If you don't make or build it you don't have it. Farm life is just the best. And with the income we enjoy and no mortgage or payments to speak of, it could really be nice.

I'll post up as we work down this decision trail, see where it leads.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2019, 09:43:37 PM »
I am just happy she has finally decided she wants to spend the rest of this time with “You”.  I am not sure Ken or Charles would handle all the unfinished projects that would come with you after she booted ya out

What, me live with them?
Man, I'm married to the prettiest girl in the world, wouldn't want to change that up. Happy to hang with her for the foreseeable future and see how all that turns out.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »
Sounds like an exciting prospect for sure Don. You’ve got plenty of people here that would be more than happy to have a work party on occasion to watch you hurt yourself and then finish a project or two.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2019, 10:56:25 PM »
Smart woman there. Maybe mine will do the same. That is my goal.

Plus it is getting scary here, people are leaving in droves. All the time I hear people talk about or said they just bought out of state.

Starting to look at kit homes now. Little until I get there, but I have the toy hauler.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »

Plus it is getting scary here, people are leaving in droves. All the time I hear people talk about or said they just bought out of state.

Funny you should say that. My grandpa's brother moved out to Sacramento when he was young. Raised a big family. Now every one of 3 generations raised in CA are now in Texas, Nevada, Utah and Idaho.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:35:33 AM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »

I never really thought about it, but the numbers flat out work. It is possible to sell this place and move down there and have a mortgage free brand new house on our 91 acres.
We are talking about it at the moment. I'm getting an idea of what kind of house she wants. We both agree that smaller and cozy and pass on the big house thing. Our current home is over 7,500 sq ft counting all spaces under a roof and is just way too friggin big. It is costly, and after paying for it, I'll have a country/neighborhood home in a plastic setting. Can't p_ss off the back deck, can't shoot, can't let the dogs run, have to mulch and keep up appearances, and I am just not so good with any of that

Down there life is real. If you don't make or build it you don't have it. Farm life is just the best. And with the income we enjoy and no mortgage or payments to speak of, it could really be nice.

Sounds like a fantastic plan. I can relate to the large house that is too friggen big. Especially when all the kids fly the coup.

I have always lived and purchased property based on the school system and school environment. (Drugs, Libtards, etc.)

What would you do with the pre rangers and school options? Football, wrestling..?
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2019, 08:46:28 AM »

Sounds like a fantastic plan. I can relate to the large house that is too friggen big. Especially when all the kids fly the coup.

I have always lived and purchased property based on the school system and school environment. (Drugs, Libtards, etc.)

What would you do with the pre rangers and school options? Football, wrestling..?
One of them will enlist next year and depart home the year after. The "smallest" has 4+ years left in the chicken coup. He loves the farm but is also proud of his home closer in. But in their spirit is the early morning mist of a Kentucky country morning. Leaving them a paid off low cost home in the country replete with barn and tractors would be the stuff of dreams. They just have to figure out how to divvy it up.

I see this as a multi year plan

Logically, the first step has taken place and should be followed by discussion.
Then make the decision to do it
After that we can work to develop the property to be more than just the occasional farm thing
We have to make a bunch of decisions not the least of which is the "When"
That would be a "Range" date such as summer of 2021 or something like that.

Building backward from that we have the time we place our current home up for sale, prepping it, moving out and all of that
I think the best way to transition would be to completely move out of this house, then begin to fix it up for the market, then let the process go as it would. Meanwhile move forward on the creation of our permanent home. That will take a bit of a winfall of cash to nurture the process, but I think it falls in the "doable" category.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2019, 09:54:23 AM »
Sounds like a great plan.  :likebutton:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hide Site/Bug Out Location Construction, Part 6
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2019, 12:05:19 AM »
Start cutting and drying lumber now!!!

We can relate to country living, only on four acres but ain’t no one in my neighborhood throwing a fit about the weeds that take over the lot from time to time.... of course our yard and garden are mostly weed free :)

Good choice boss of Don!!! Look forward to seeing this come to life in the years to come.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:39:26 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »
Start cutting and drying lumber now!!!

We can relate to country living, only on four acres but ain’t no one in my neighborhood throwing a fit about the weeds that take over the lot from time to time.... of course our yard and garden are mostly yard free :)

Good choice boss of Don!!! Look forward to seeing this come to life in the years to come.
No doubt, you'll see it in person

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2019, 09:37:25 AM »
So we did our (late) spring clean up of the place this past weekend.

Wife was out mowing everything with her 2720 John Deere, and two things happened:
1. It did not break down
2. She mowed a baby skunk

No, the momma skunk was not impressed. The other youngins went and scattered all over making it problematic walking anywhere around my buildings.

The Pre Rangers do what Pre Rangers do, they pulled weeds and sprayed stuff along with "Sticking" (Sticking is the endless gathering of sticks and branch sheds from a winter season or post thunderstorm)

My camper had seventy six million little mouse foot prints on my fuzzy blanket on the bed, Yuk!

Nice productive day. I also hooked up the front destroyer of all things living to the Kubota and exercised that for 45 minutes. Then I fired up Chief and dug a little while in the pond. Batteries: Good, Winter haze: gonned, Oil: Recirculated

G-T-G

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »
Sticking. New one to me.
I call it piloting.
I cut the bush/trees whatever.
The kids pile it.

Bush pilots they is.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »
Sticking. New one to me.
I call it piloting.
I cut the bush/trees whatever.
The kids pile it.

Bush pilots they is.

That is a danged good one sam!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »
Lol.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2019, 11:40:43 AM »
Update: Spent a few days cleaning up the place.

So this year, i have not bush hogged the fields as this was the first year of actual hay production. The deal was that my neighbor would come in and hay off my fields, for free. He gets the hay for his cows, I get the fields cleaned off. Well, it's the middle of July and nothing has happened yet. The red clover has all gone to seed already. I believe the best time to cut it is before that happens.

As a result my place looks like a wilderness, so in spite of the unharvested fields, I started in cleaning out the fencetows of undergrowth. I made a lot of progress, logging hours on Spud pulverizing trees and chopping up limestone. Of course as soon as I started bush-hogging around the barn which is being dismantled, the bush hog broke, throwing a blade which it broke in half. And of course because i own a small John Deere tractor, that, too is broken down and unable to mow grass. 116 hours total on that thing and it is always broken down. I am so tempted to just stop paying for it and toss it in a fire.

In the plus side, I got all the machines refuelled (A cool $300!!!) and a lot of crap cut away from the edges of the fields. Now, in an imaginary world where I own a moser that works, I would be able to mow without driving through a bunch of overhang. But I live in a world where John Deere tractors actually exist, and therefore world crop production is stifled and should the green POC's continue to be sold, we may be looking at world-wide famine!

But that Kubota is a beast. Not one failure, save the detracking when it was new. It just gets beat on and shoves the beating right back into the trees mercilessly.

Of course with no pics, none of this happened, so the post is all theoretical for now...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2019, 01:00:50 PM »
Well, another pic-less update.

The farmer was not able to cut my fields for hay, pity really because they would have produced a bunch of round bales.

So I got stuck bush-hogging it off and mowing some areas. Two days and I am about 75% complete

Probably head down there soon and finish. Then it's going to be full on to finish the pond out. Heck I'm already mowing around it with all the weeds...

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2019, 01:15:27 PM »
Why couldn't he do it?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »
Why couldn't he do it?
He also has a heavy equipment company. I guess they were covered up with work...never came around to harvest anything. Too bad to waste the hay, but this is an abundant year, crops are all doing well.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
No one else could have done it? Save you time and frustration.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »
No one else could have done it? Save you time and frustration.
Yea, darndest thing. I asked a couple of the local farmers, but no one wanted any extra hay.

Now up where I live we have horse farms all around and they buy hay bales. But none of them could afford to send the equipment 60 miles south to harvest mine.

In the end it matters little, I just have to ride around on a tractor for a couple days and then, voila' my place looks great again.

Based on my experiences and what I am willing to do going forward I think I will leave the front just looking like a big lawn and mow and use it. On the other fields, I am thinking about putting a couple rows of shrubbery. Put in sprouts and sell trees and shrubs in five years. I want a row of lilac for the pharmacy/beauty industry, and I want to raise koi in my ponds. Having gone through the koi experience in the past, those things are big money. A couple more ponds and I'll have all I need. I think I'll fence one field for a cow or two, a mule and have some chickens walking about.

Finally, I think I may set out a space for landscaping boulders/rocks which I am constantly unearthing and also sell rough sawn hardwood planks, unique stuff.

My real dream for the place is to build in a big pond in the valley between two spurs on my place and atop one of those ridges build a small white church. Just for folks to use if they need to meet with their creator, for weddings and special gatherings like men's and women's ministries.

It's the quoffee coming out, put me in a mellow mood...

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2019, 09:41:10 AM »
Sounds like the boss needs a bailer. Put it on the list of things we try to spend your money on!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2019, 12:48:02 PM »
He does seem to own 1 of everything.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
well if that's the case, he will need a bigger tractor, he will need a hay cutter, he will need to get a hay rake, he will need either a round or square baler, if he wants the hay to last any sort of time (so he can make money off of it)he will need to get a baler that can wrap the bale's, lets not forget about the hay wagon for the square bales or the trailer for the round bales, he will also need to get a bale tine attachment to fit the lift arms of the bigger tractor he will have to get....     :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:37:40 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2019, 01:38:57 PM »
if he goes traditional square bales, he will have atleast 1 child labor candidate to catch and stack the bales as they come flying out of the bale kicker on the back of the baler.... :beercheers:

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2019, 02:23:45 PM »
well if that's the case, he will need a bigger tractor, he will need a hay cutter, he will need to get a hay rake, he will need either a round or square baler, if he wants the hay to last any sort of time (so he can make money off of it)he will need to get a baler that can wrap the bale's, lets not forget about the hay wagon for the square bales or the trailer for the round bales, he will also need to get a bale tine attachment to fit the lift arms of the bigger tractor he will have to get....     :popcorn:

Classic case of "work begets work"
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
Just trying to help spend the bosses money for him...lol

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »
You all forgot the rework and fixes.  With that much more equipment he will run over that many more things.   A minimum of five cameras a season at least.   

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
You all forgot the rework and fixes.  With that much more equipment he will run over that many more things.   A minimum of five cameras a season at least.   

That's almost true

No telling how many different cameras have been used by me to post pics here...a dozen?

And so, I staged the purchase of the Kubota in such a way as to inhibit my desire to buy anything else. But in a couple years when I pay it off, I may be looking for a 75-90 HP tractor and a 10 ft bush hog. Lets make it something with an air conditioned cab with direct tv, a microwave and a maintenance plan that texts some mechanic the moment it gets a scratch to mobilize the fleet and get it repaired!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »
They make all in cutter/bailers right? Just have to stack em then,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2019, 05:54:27 PM »
They make all in cutter/bailers right? Just have to stack em then,,,,,,,,,,

They do not make combination machines such as that.  Once you cut the hay, you have to let it dry to an extent, flip it with the rake and let the other side dry.  Once its dry you can bale it, once it comes out the back end of the baler it gets kicked off onto either the field or a trailer.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2019, 07:10:47 PM »
He could go the AG BAG route, but things get heavy. 

If I never have to pick up another square bale for the rest of my life I will be happy!  I spent way too much time in a field, on a trailer and in a loft stacking hay!   You guys bring back some rough summer months memories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=79&v=uQsYOER1lok
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:13:17 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2019, 09:33:48 PM »
Phil, those are used more for silage than anything else.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:17:48 PM by Nate »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2019, 09:44:11 PM »
Count me out. I also spent a couple years moving 100lb bales, back when I weighed close to a hundred, soaking wet.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2019, 09:46:17 PM »
As opposed to now?  Like what 120?? Lol.

And yes I’ve slung a few bales but usually only when visiting relatives.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2019, 12:17:16 AM »
Don't you have a plane to catch?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2019, 12:30:11 AM »
Brings back many memories about summer work. Spent many summers hauling hay from the fields to the barns. Worked for 4 or 5 farmers and they usually got two cuttings each year. Usually three or four of us working together. Good thing was the bales only weighed around 75 lbs or so. When you screwed up and lost a trailer load it was still a lot of quick work getting it all loaded back up and headed for the barn again. No child labor laws and 2 buck an hour was good money.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2019, 01:07:18 AM »
Don't you have a plane to catch?
Gotta love inflight WiFi.  It’s worth the $8 just to harass Ken.....just flew over your house and am between Albuquerque and El Paso....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »
Phil, those are used more for silage than anything else.

Correct that specific system, but they also have it to where you can "roll" wet hay and put it in a bag.  I will find that system.

they use a "trench" system also for silage also.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2019, 03:17:25 PM »
You've been working here so where's the pics?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
He was supposed to get me photos of the hoe also for possible options of purchase this or that

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2019, 04:36:22 PM »
He was supposed to get me photos of the hoe also for possible options of purchase this or that

Dave, I'll field this one first.
Bro, much as I'l like you to have that machine, I think I had just better keep it.
I used it the past couple days and it's just too good for what I need. It looks rough but sure runs well. That isuzu engine is just a tank. Second point that I have learned through the years and has settled in as wisdom, is take care in selling something you own to a friend. We all know where that can go. So, sorry ma friend but l think it should stay in the Tuck

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
You've been working here so where's the pics?
Ken, just got back a couple hours ago from three days down there. What a time we all had. A few days before this visit, the guys on the security team and I went down for a weekend of fellowship. During the first night, Jimmy, the gentleman who owns hundreds of acres surrounding me came down with $1,000 worth of fireworks. He owns a local fireworks store. Suffice it to say it was quite a night!

THis past few days was field work, pond work, bush hogging, weapons play, coyote hunting, road work and a lot of good eating. The Pre-Ranger sighted in his new Remy 30-06, shot my M4, his .45 and everything else he could get his hands on.

The place is looking good:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal