Hello Guest

Author Topic: D70 Skid plate  (Read 2119 times)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
D70 Skid plate
« on: October 18, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
Dose anyone know if someone makes a D70 skid plate?  I could fab one up but not against buying something premade.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: D70 Skid plate
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:53:14 PM »
Dose anyone know if someone makes a D70 skid plate?  I could fab one up but not against buying something premade.

Skid plate? Pinion guard or? I make a diff cover and we can add 1/2” lower playing to it. Kind of creates a skid of sorts on bottom 3 facets of the cover. Give extra protection to bottom bolts etc.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:13:17 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 10:04:20 PM »
looking more to protect the case, its taken a couple scrapes I just wanted to see if some one had something premade.  One less thing for me to make!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:18:12 PM »
looking more to protect the case, its taken a couple scrapes I just wanted to see if some one had something premade.  One less thing for me to make!

For the bottom of the housing, no not that I’m aware of. With that said they can take a ton of abuse in stock form. Other than aftermarket aluminum race housings I don’t think I’ve ever saw one break from the bottom such as a jump etc. Again as you stated it would be easy to weld on a steel overlay of the bottom but you may lose some ground clearance in the process.

Norm claims that the carrier bearing pockets will wear out on higher mileage Cummins units. I am taking him at his word as I’ve never checked the pockets with a bore guage myself.

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »

Norm claims that the carrier bearing pockets will wear out on higher mileage Cummins units. I am taking him at his word as I’ve never checked the pockets with a bore guage myself.

He's not wrong. we make a housing repair/cutting tool for where the races spin and screw up the pockets. Pop in a couple outside spacers and good to go again.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 10:27:49 AM »

He's not wrong. we make a housing repair/cutting tool for where the races spin and screw up the pockets. Pop in a couple outside spacers and good to go again.
Just one more reason not to run a D70

In my life of tearin' things apart, I got into two separate D70's. Both of them were worn our with bad R&P gears. I'be pulled apart a passel of 14 bolts and have never found one unserviceable. THat says something to me.

A proper D70 repair tool is a large well reinforced trash can.

But having said that, if ya like em, good for you, I hope it all works out.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »
Well This is the first one I have run.  When I tore it apart for rebuild the entire clutch pack was lets just say not all there any more, the bearings were pitted BUT it still worked.  Only real problem I have is the axle seal leak over time but I think that have more to do with the redi sleeve I installed. 

This axle has over 400K on the housing and I reused the original R&P during the rebuild so I must have a one of the rare ones that hold up!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 05:18:47 PM »
Well This is the first one I have run.  When I tore it apart for rebuild the entire clutch pack was lets just say not all there any more, the bearings were pitted BUT it still worked.  Only real problem I have is the axle seal leak over time but I think that have more to do with the redi sleeve I installed. 

This axle has over 400K on the housing and I reused the original R&P during the rebuild so I must have a one of the rare ones that hold up!
We build Dana axles about 20 miles away. One of the assemblers goes to church with me. He thinks the D70 is their one throw-away (Read: Junk)

Get some more opinions, I am only one deep
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »
Let’s step back from the proverbial ledge a moment.

I personally think it is a decent hd axle that if we recall correctly was probably designed for 100k miles. Now add lack of routine maintenance and a big C (Cummins in front of it with guys all wanting to eclipse each other with black smoke) and where do we find ourselves?

Now with that said Phil if it were me I would look for a second gen Cummins single rear wheel axle that has the 80 center section and 70 ends on it. Tubes coming out of 80 housing are full size and neck down near drum backing plates. Tate can confirm but it is my belief these center sections also still run the larger pinion bearing versus newer ones that run smaller unit which is not as resilient. I also make disc brake brackets for it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:47:56 PM by stlaser »

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »
ALL manual trans/cummins/2500 AND 3500 SRW ran the D80 center from 94-2002. What Shawn is talking about is 90% off the failures I see with the d70, and dumb high school age kids doing stunts. (reverse burnouts and the like). Frequent maintenance and they usually last very well, even in pulling trucks. the problem was that the same motor in the 3/4 is the same motor in the 1 ton, and 1-1/2 ton etc. capable of doing the work but more than the 3/4 ton d70 can handle at max capacity, and that people are ignorant and lazy. source the SRW d80 housing or stick with the d70, but use high quality oil and double check everything in it, should be just fine either way.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »

He thinks the D70 is their one throw-away (Read: Junk)

I have come to the conclusion that EVERYTHING any supplier to any OEM makes is a throw away part anymore

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 10:22:35 PM »
^^ that ain't no Schiff.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 07:12:16 AM »

He thinks the D70 is their one throw-away (Read: Junk)

I have come to the conclusion that EVERYTHING any supplier to any OEM makes is a throw away part anymore

Phil, hard to argue that point..... 

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 09:15:52 AM »
Planned obsolescence...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
Planned obsolescence...

Not cool trying to confuse Ken this early with the big words.....  :tongue:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »
Planned obsolescence...
I always planned on being an adult, Just never happened.

Oh, Shawn's right. Thought you meant adolescence.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 03:24:49 PM »
Planned obsolescence...
I always planned on being an adult, Just never happened.

Oh, Shawn's right. Thought you meant adolescence.

ROFL

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 03:41:28 PM »
Planned obsolescence...

Not cool trying to confuse Ken this early with the big words.....  :tongue:

it's where, … wait back up. Planning is where... nevermind

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal