Hello Guest

Author Topic: [~ 5 months] in with my 2500 series suburban  (Read 12483 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3 weeks in with my 2500 series suburban
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2017, 01:17:41 PM »
Unless really heavy I don't bother with tow mod much. I do use it in the hills and such and actually leave it in 5th now most of the time. Does the burb have the 6 speed?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2017, 03:09:22 PM »
Bigger truck means you need a bigger trailer, 2 axle preferably for hauling future equipment etc.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2017, 03:20:43 PM »
Bigger truck means you need a bigger trailer, 2 axle preferably for hauling future equipment etc.....

I'll be getting a 14 or 16' 2 axle soon.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2017, 07:32:49 PM »

Suggestion on the trailer: Go up to an 18 footer with six lug wheels (7,000 lb axles??) so you can put on a decent load.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »

Suggestion on the trailer: Go up to an 18 footer with six lug wheels (7,000 lb axles??) so you can put on a decent load.

i shall acquire what my budget allows. they sell locally 16' unites with 7000 lb axles. probably looking at like $4k for a decent one.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2017, 08:25:58 PM »
For four grand you might as well get a dump trailer. My end gate is set up for spreading gravel, open from the side, bottom,  or drop down for longer loads or dumping larger objects. Lots of sizes out there to choose from.

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
For four grand you might as well get a dump trailer. My end gate is set up for spreading gravel, open from the side, bottom,  or drop down for longer loads or dumping larger objects. Lots of sizes out there to choose from.

yeah its quite overwhelming really. i want something that have elevated sides for moving dirt/rock (which is something i foresee myself doing a lot of) and eventually a tractor/utv.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 10:38:58 AM »
On mine, I built 3 different height side boards out of 2x6's with quick change mounts for the roll up tarp. When you are hauling dirt and rocks, it doesn't take much room to use up the GVW of the trailer. The 14,000 lb GVW trailer weighs north of 4,000 lbs empty and 10,000 lbs of gravel at 3,000+- lbs per yd doesn't need much room. Depending on the size of equipment you will be hauling you might need a 6.5ft wide box. Mine is only 6ft but a small tractor or skid steer fits fine with the front bucket hanging out the front if needed. It has nice rings welded to the floor for tying stuff down.

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2017, 10:43:16 AM »
On mine, I built 3 different height side boards out of 2x6's with quick change mounts for the roll up tarp. When you are hauling dirt and rocks, it doesn't take much room to use up the GVW of the trailer. The 14,000 lb GVW trailer weighs north of 4,000 lbs empty and 10,000 lbs of gravel at 3,000+- lbs per yd doesn't need much room. Depending on the size of equipment you will be hauling you might need a 6.5ft wide box. Mine is only 6ft but a small tractor or skid steer fits fine with the front bucket hanging out the front if needed. It has nice rings welded to the floor for tying stuff down.

that gives me a lot to think about. it will be an investment for us, so i wanna make sure i get the right rig for our needs.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
I had a couple different dump trailers, nicest one I ever owned was a bri-mar quality was top notch.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2017, 12:21:42 PM »
My trailer is an ABU, like Shawn says good build is really important. Mine has an adjustable ball coupler, heavy duty self storing loading ramps, and a heavy duty scissor hoist. Nice to be able to adjust the coupler height for other tow rigs, and if you raise the box and try to spread, on uneven ground, having good tight hinge pins, and a good solid hoist system is a must or it will be laying on its side. When you get ready to buy, take your time and really look around, lots of trailers out there and they do vary in build quality.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »
Tow haul is interesting.  I use my tow button at almost every stop light.  The Alison trans works great as a brake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: [~ 5 months] in with my 2500 series suburban
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
haven't been posting here much. life is keeping me busy. Since ya'll are into masculine and offensive things like trucks, i'll provide an update.

We've had this beast for just over 5 months now. Logged close to 8000 miles already. Average MPG is about 16 (with me driving it), 14.5 with my wife. MPG goes out the window the minute a trailer is attached. My largest haul was about 6000 lb's of sand about 6 weeks ago. Truck handled it like a champ.

The right rear TPM often throws errors like telling me the tire is flat, i need to get that looked into.
left passenger door lock doesnt lock/unlock a lot of the time

Scheduling her for an oil change and tire rotation soon.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »
I wish GM still made the 2500 Suburban...and if I was really dreaming make it with the Duramax. Or the 2500 Avalanche with a Duramax. I bet they would sell the heck out of them. And it wouldn't require much retooling.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
16 is pretty good. Whan my wife drove the dmax a few times she got 12. I get 15-16 around town.

I think you can get the Sub is 2500, but special order only.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
haven't been posting here much. life is keeping me busy. Since ya'll are into masculine and offensive things like trucks, i'll provide an update.

We've had this beast for just over 5 months now. Logged close to 8000 miles already. Average MPG is about 16 (with me driving it), 14.5 with my wife. MPG goes out the window the minute a trailer is attached. My largest haul was about 6000 lb's of sand about 6 weeks ago. Truck handled it like a champ.

The right rear TPM often throws errors like telling me the tire is flat, i need to get that looked into.
left passenger door lock doesnt lock/unlock a lot of the time

Scheduling her for an oil change and tire rotation soon.

I went through this with the wife's Yukon. The TPMS uses the passenger door body control module to communicate and we had several random TPMS codes with the door lock function issue. After several frustrating re-learns and light coming back on, I replaced the batteries in the key fobs and did a master reset on the TPMS and haven't had the issue since. I think that low voltage from the key fobs was tripping up the system, but I'm no electronics wizard. Maybe Ken has some more insight to this issue.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2017, 07:49:14 PM »
Unless really heavy I don't bother with tow mod much. I do use it in the hills and such and actually leave it in 5th now most of the time. Does the burb have the 6 speed?

I THINK the recommendation is (at least for the Duramax)  to use T/H when towing more than 75% of the vehicles GCWR or hauling a really heavy load. Basically there is no set weight of when to use it. Use your own judgment. If the trans is shifting too slow or the engine is bogging down, throw T/H on.  I call it "Haul ass" mode when you use it at stop lights like Dave said... :wink:

Someone asked and I'm not sure if it was answered... i know the 09+ 1/2 ton 'burb and 'hoe come with the 6 speed trans -- not sure about the 3/4 tons.

I saw one of those fold-up utility trailers the other day (the ones you can tilt up on little wheels on the back end to store against a wall in your garage...) loaded down with what looked like a pallet of concrete bags. They had just left Home Depot and got on the freeway.  Didn't make it a mile on the highway and a tire blew.  They were carrying bags from the trailer to a truck parked behind them on the shoulder.   :knucklehead:
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2017, 12:07:19 AM »
Surprised they made it a mile.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2017, 08:47:18 AM »
my suburban has the 6 speed. as noted way early in this thread, i drove a 4 speed (07 model) and it was too revvy and rpm's were all over the place. the 6 is smooth with the occasional exception when going between 2 and 3.

i do use the tow mode when towing. i find it gives me better mpg.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »
Any updates or issues with your 2500 suburban?

I wasn't really looking for one, but it became available nearby.  Debating whether I should buy it.  We have been pulling a 25 foot enclosed trailer weighing about 5000 lbs most weekends racing motocross.  The wife would rather drive this instead of my truck.  A little more space inside, room for dogs, etc.  I took it for a quick drive yesterday.  Body is near perfect, interior is 8 out of 10 for condition.  All options.  Drives like I would expect for 146k miles, front end is a little loose, but otherwise seems ok.  The plow was only used on personal driveway, its a one owner local vehicle.  So its really pretty ideal, just the mileage makes me worry.

http://www.greencc.com/VehicleDetails/used-2012-GMC-Yukon_XL-4WD_4dr_2500_SLT-East_Moline-IL/3069836103

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
Looks like a good clean car,  take the plow off and recover $3000   

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the mileage that much. Do as Dave said - sell the plow, then with the $, find a LML Duramax and DuraBurb it!  :grin:
Ryan

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the mileage that much. Do as Dave said - sell the plow, then with the $, find a LML Duramax and DuraBurb it!  :grin:

ryan, you sure you didnt mean to put LBZ..........? all known issues fixed and pre emissions
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
Well... I could have gone that route, but I was thinking along the lines of using the proper engine for that year body to remain emission compliant in certain states. Newer engine than body - no problem. Older engine -- typically a no-no. If your state doesn't care, then sure, go for it! :)
Ryan

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »
sorry, haven't been on here in a long time.

put almost 20K on her in just under a year.

had to replace shocks, evap can and windshield (totally my fault). Cooper ATP's are amazing tires.

got 21mpg one evening going home.

other then that, she runs strong and is an amazing traveling vehicle.

that's a good price for the GMC considering the age. they stopped making them that year IIRC.
since it has a plow, id assume its seen a lot of snow and possibly salt, so check for rust.

Any updates or issues with your 2500 suburban?

I wasn't really looking for one, but it became available nearby.  Debating whether I should buy it.  We have been pulling a 25 foot enclosed trailer weighing about 5000 lbs most weekends racing motocross.  The wife would rather drive this instead of my truck.  A little more space inside, room for dogs, etc.  I took it for a quick drive yesterday.  Body is near perfect, interior is 8 out of 10 for condition.  All options.  Drives like I would expect for 146k miles, front end is a little loose, but otherwise seems ok.  The plow was only used on personal driveway, its a one owner local vehicle.  So its really pretty ideal, just the mileage makes me worry.

http://www.greencc.com/VehicleDetails/used-2012-GMC-Yukon_XL-4WD_4dr_2500_SLT-East_Moline-IL/3069836103
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
Well after a lot of consideration we decided to keep my truck.  The two main deciding factors were tow capacity, yukon is a lot less than the truck.  And also the integrated hitch on the yukon.  I cant upgrade to a 2.5" receiver so my weight distributing setup would need to be replaced with a 2" version.

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2018, 01:37:40 PM »
so we've had the 2500 for a year this week.

we've been 20000+ on it since, had to replace the fuel pump (which died unexpectedly at a gas station a few days before christmas), shocks, tires, evap can and now since the pump was replaced the gas cap indicator comes in (along with check engine light again).

we've had to put some $ into her, but my wife loves that truck and they'res something satisfying about hearing the roar of that engine while merging onto a road.

i need to get it in to get the check engine light looked at again.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2018, 10:55:36 AM »
late response here, but what did you find out Stewie? I had the same code pop for evap, changed the gas cap, cleared the code and have been smooth sailing ever since. 04 Yukon denali though, but I would imagine similar if not equal systems.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »
Anyone note the cost of a 2018 Suburban 2500 HD???...$80K for an LS!!!!!!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »

You could buy a low mile 13-15 and hire a Duramax swap for that price I’d bet. There’s a shop or two that does that. And that’s insane 80k for a people mover, yikes!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »

You could buy a low mile 13-15 and hire a Duramax swap for that price I’d bet. There’s a shop or two that does that. And that’s insane 80k for a people mover, yikes!
I would love this. 13-15 w/ dmax sounds a lot better than the excursions I'm eyeing. I just need an suv, but I want a diesel and I'm about ready to go back to a crew cab short bed here when the denali takes a poop, but with all the new parts it has in it now it'll probably be a long time.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »

DuraBurb charges $28K for the conversion. You give them your burb, and they give you a LML powered 2500 HD.
One gen older burb, which I actually like more would cost you say, $15K for a decent southwest burb. So you're turnkey for $43K
Still sub $50K for lift wheels tires and bumper

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2018, 09:17:27 PM »
Place in Santa Cruz and Florida does those. Seen em go for around $35-40, not bad!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2018, 12:13:55 AM »

DuraBurb charges $28K for the conversion. You give them your burb, and they give you a LML powered 2500 HD.
One gen older burb, which I actually like more would cost you say, $15K for a decent southwest burb. So you're turnkey for $43K
Still sub $50K for lift wheels tires and bumper

I didn’t even know the numbers, just knew you could have a much better rig for less than 80k!!! I mean I live north of a little town that is basically full of homes that are sub 100k, much of them near the 60k mark! And to think there are vehicles that are the price of lots of houses. What’s crazy is that I see these durned things on the road frequently.... yep, still in it for the old school! Maybe get a totaled 06 duramax with low miles, and take it and an 89 burb to someone, throw some money at them, come back in a few months and get a freshly rebuilt old body duraburb!!!! Ain’t nothing better than old steel!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2018, 12:24:09 AM »

What's worse is I don't think it's a 2500....i think all they make now are 1500.....which sucks for sure. No idea why they don't do a 2500 with a Duramax as some have said. It would sell like heck.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
they still make a 2500 version....you have to go in and special order it I believe, and it only comes with the 8.1L..............I may be wrong?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2018, 11:51:20 AM »

What's worse is I don't think it's a 2500....i think all they make now are 1500.....which sucks for sure. No idea why they don't do a 2500 with a Duramax as some have said. It would sell like heck.
No-

Its a true 2500
But low production means higher cost
Has 8 lug axles, 6.0 L full floater 14 bolt. Same drivetrain as in the gas 2500 HD Silverado
Built with post sale up-armor installation in mind

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »
they still make a 2500 version....you have to go in and special order it I believe, and it only comes with the 8.1L..............I may be wrong?
Yea, wrong
8.1 is long gone
These all have the 6.0

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2018, 03:06:47 PM »
Yea, wrong
8.1 is long gone
These all have the 6.0
dang....they must have that 6.0 maxed out!  i am not sure it will move the fully loaded one like you are looking at like the 8.1's did.....smh

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2018, 07:57:51 PM »
Yea, wrong
8.1 is long gone
These all have the 6.0
dang....they must have that 6.0 maxed out!  i am not sure it will move the fully loaded one like you are looking at like the 8.1's did.....smh

6.0...Up-armored...no-buneo

We had 8.1 burbs and tuned up 6.0 power stroke Excursions

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »
Heck, they get over 300 out of the 5.3, mid 4's should be easy for the 6.2. 8.1 is still better, but not a diesel.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »
late response here, but what did you find out Stewie? I had the same code pop for evap, changed the gas cap, cleared the code and have been smooth sailing ever since. 04 Yukon denali though, but I would imagine similar if not equal systems.

the engine light it still on. i need to take it in this week.

so, i reset the computer by pulling the battery. the light stayed off, but as soon as i filled the tank, it came back on. i repeated the process and it's been consistent. I put an OEM cap on, too so i think it be related to the evap (which was replaced last summer).

Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2018, 01:54:39 PM »
Could be the hose or the solenoid also. Hard to chase sometimes.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »

it seems everything emissions related started to fail on this truck when it hit 120K. This will be the 3rd check engine light visit since we got it.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »

it seems everything emissions related started to fail on this truck when it hit 120K. This will be the 3rd check engine light visit since we got it.

When the funds present themselves find a Harbor Freight discount coupon and buy a scan tool ($100) then pull the codes and the guys here can help you diagnose the issue. Most things aren’t that hard to fix & with plenty of you tube videos between those & that we can save you some money if you want to do the work. Just a thought.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
And many parts stores will pull the codes for you for free

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2018, 03:30:21 PM »
Think I paid less than $100 for mine and it has paid for itself so many times!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2018, 05:23:32 PM »
If you’re tech savvy, they have Bluetooth modules that plug in and connect to your phone. I want to say I’ve seen them sub-$20.

Ryan

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »
If anyone needs a 20% off HF coupon I have one in my possession currently I can take a pic of & send. Two sundays in a row the paperboy has given us a free paper.....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2018, 11:21:40 PM »
If I had a dime for every 20% I have gotten I would be rich. But then I spend the $$ at HF and use the coupon. Think I have bags not opened.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal