PERSONAL READINESS > Hide Site

Major changes for El Tate

(1/6) > >>

EL TATE:
I've been waiting to post this after I got myself and the family all settled, so here goes. last year during the height of the "pandemic" my mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer. her mother died of metastatic breast cancer and my wife was pretty panicked about it so she and my daughter moved down to Medford, OR for 2 months to be with her during her treatment. Good news is that they caught it early and she's in recovery with a very good outlook. Bad news is work was so busy and chaotic, they would not approve 4 days for me to go down and spend time with them.

We started talking about investing in a VRBO property we could stay at anytime to be near them and that generated a conversation about how much the beach house was worth. After speaking with our agent, she let us know she had inquiries almost every month since we moved in 4 years ago. We decided that if we got enough for the beach house, we would look at a permanent residence down in OR and roll the dice with employment.

Flash forward to April of this year and we sold the beach in 3 days for more than double of what we owed and purchased a new home down in Eagle Point, about 25 min outside of Medford. I spoke with Randy's and they have decided to let me work from home, as the only employee in the company to do so to date. I didn't give them an ultimatum, just a request, and after about 6 weeks they came back with a yes, so here we are.

the listing photos are better than current as we are not totally furnished yet, but here's some teasers.

EL TATE:
We had over 14k in unfulfilled permits from Island County trying to convert our garage into 2 more bedrooms and were getting nowhere. they wanted us to raise the whole house up off the foundation 18" which would have run around $100k in and of itself. the property then would have to be totally brought up to code mechanically and electrically, read another $50k. At that point we'd be better off bulldozing and rebuilding.

Not to mention water levels are not getting any lower, and we flooded all the way to the back door 1 time in 2019 2 times this last winter with king tides and heavy storms. Like Chief mentioned before, he didn't think it would be our forever home.

EL TATE:
Hard to tell from the pic but that turned out to be about 3 yards of sand and gravel that was displaced, and that was the lighter flood. The last two floods actually went all the way around the front of the house to the porch and through the garage/boathouse, ruining many things we had stored in there.

Flyin6:
Looks like a smart move to me!

I never saw promise in that house lasting too long. One western hurry-cane and you'd be toast.

New house looks really nice and really expensive! Hope you didn't get hurt with the transfer.

Did you folks decorate or are those "for-sale" pics.

Now will you be able to maintain the salt water boat? And can you continue to develop your culinary pursuit?

Oh and stop moving. Every move has been southward. Next one will be into Jefferson I'd think ;-))

stlaser:
Tate, way to put family first. Not easy but you’re a doing the right thing I’m sure, & I’m in a similar situation with my in-laws currently and of course my Mom is already under our roof in a mother in law suite.

Gunna miss those beach house pics though…..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version