Hello Guest

Author Topic: Latest Road trip: Yellowstone and places  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Latest Road trip: Yellowstone and places
« on: July 06, 2024, 09:51:03 AM »
We had a good first day/night for this year's third trip.

We did Utah in April where we Jeep'd all over creation, then a short visit to Fort Moore (Benning) to place a scroll on our boy's shoulder, and now this one.

Yesterday's travel was nearly 600 miles spanning Kentucky, Indiana, parts of Ohio, and Illinois, and landing in Iowa. We stopped at the famous I-80 Truck stop the first and now largest in the world with over 900 truck parking spaces!

Kat did a great job kitting out our Palamino truck camper with everything we need and a lot more. It feels comfortable to be in and we both slept well last night.

I was shocked at the mileage we got yesterday driving at 70mph and fighting a headwind of about 20-25mph. We only achieved 8.1mpg!!!!!!! I normally get around 14 so we just suffered about a 45% increase! That is going to hurt as after completing just the first leg we have spent well over $200 for fuel.

Aside from that, the dually is handling the weight like a champ. It is really almost a non-event. The acceleration even with 5,000 pounds of payload is amazing. I still have a leak in the airbags with them going flat after just a few hours of bouncing, but the standard triple spring on this truck is handling it like it was built to.

Well, it's off on another leg that will take us most of the way through Nebraska. Wish us luck.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Road trip: Yellowstone and places
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 09:53:16 AM »
I sent a PM to our Nebraska farmer, Jon to see if I can catch him while passing through Nebraska...
Let's see if I can find him out there...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 07:56:34 PM »
You were 5 miles from my house
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024, 09:13:02 AM »
You were 5 miles from my house
DANG!
I didn't remember you lived along the route!
Yep went right through Lincoln.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 09:29:33 AM »
Yesterday we went through at least 100 miles of severe weather. From Grand Island to about 50 miles east of Ogalla NE there were thunderstorms and flooding where we were able to maintain speed sometimes and had to get under a bridge at one point due to near-zero visibility. One Ford owner showed us his car all pummeled by hail and a suburban owner had the windshield destroyed. I was not expecting all of that. I learned that with this huge sail on the back of my dually, I had to watch my speed in the worst windy part. I could usually make 45-55mph though so not too bad. The truck feels very planted and connected to the highway.

Speaking of which the mileage improved all day long. I was topping at 3/4 tank taking advantage of cheaper prices when they arose and took the average of those stops. I saw 8.4, 8.9, and finally 9.7. Factor in the additional distance from the larger tires and I am knocking on the door of 10mpg. We were texting a Ford and a Duramax guy while driving and they were getting the same mileage. The D-max had our same camper on the back and the Ford had a 38-foot fifth wheel. My truck engine is still breaking in going over 4,000 miles total yesterday.

We spoke with Jon but did not get to see him. The northern deviation to his place was right in the middle of that weather. So we drove and stopped for breaks a bit over 500 miles. So close to 1100 miles in the bag and looking at 475ish today which will get us into Pinedale WY.

Pics are the first two nights stay in Newton Iowa and Ogalla Nebraska and Kathy adding the state decals to our travel map.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2024, 11:46:53 PM »
We just got back from Keystone South Dakota with the 45’ toy hauler. Averaged 8.9 on the way up, 7.0 mpg with a 40+ mph head wind all the way across Wyoming on the way Back home.

Safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2024, 07:17:38 AM »
With all the reports coming out of Yellowstone, I feel like I need to post this. Please remember that the animals in the park are wild and you shouldn't try to take a selfie with them! LOL

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Online Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2024, 08:22:04 AM »
With all the reports coming out of Yellowstone, I feel like I need to post this. Please remember that the animals in the park are wild and you shouldn't try to take a selfie with them! LOL

Fact!
Nor should you try to pet them…
Some interesting YouTube and TikTok’s on this topic.

Some Darwin Award candidates I’m sure. 

Safe travels chief, and yes summer storms are interesting.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 10:01:00 AM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 08:06:21 PM »
We have been in very spotty contact as in almost no cell phone and very little Wi-Fi.
We made it to Pinedale where we stayed for several days. We hiked, went to the Rodeo, explored, and camped on Fremont Lake. That was a great experience with two other couples.
From there we went north to a remote hot spring camping area and camped near the famous waterfalls from the movie, "A river runs through it."
The corps of engineers built a custom swimming pool there that fills from a hot spring, so we lounged in those heated waters for a while.
From there it was north into Jackson Hole, WY, where it is best to just pass right through unless you enjoy crowds and obnoxious T-shirts.
We moved over to another remote campsite which was pretty primitive but with a fee. That cost me $7 for the day/night.
We went into Yellowstone the following day. It really consists of two ring roads of 70-80 miles each, ll done at about 30mph average. We ended that day over in Montana in West Yellowstone. We then roamed over the northern loop hitting so many must-see attractions that I lost count. We ended that day outside the northeast gate again in a national forest in Montana. We paid $20 for the night for another mostly primitive camping.
We rejoined the park and drove the whole eastern side. We finished the day near the upper/lower falls and the dragon's breath roaring hot spring. Both of those places were show-stopping good!
From there we made our way ninety-odd miles east to Cody WY where I am sitting and getting ready to go to another Rodeo. Kat and I discovered we really like the Rodeo!
I scarcely have words to describe Yellowstone. First of all, it is immense, like over a million acres. It is so many distinctly different places all co-located. Yellowstone Lake is enormous and has bubbling and roaring springs along the shore in places. Old Faithful does not disappoint. The Great Falls is the second tallest in North America and the tallest in the West. The plains to the north are home to thousands of buffalo. One stopped my truck and casually walked by my door an arm's distance away. The geothermal areas hiss, stink, roar, and bubble, and dare you to understand what is happening. The mountain roads and vistas are really up there, like 10,000 feet. You can see for great distances and the whole thing challenges one to take it all in.
We have had to work through several breakdowns and equipment failures but after doing this I believe one should not expect to push this hard or far without something breaking, it just isn't reasonable. The name of that game is to just push through it.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2024, 09:11:25 PM »
Great update.  Have fun.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2024, 10:10:42 PM »
 :likebutton: Yellowstone is definitely a place you can visit several times and not see it all.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2024, 09:54:41 PM »
:likebutton: Yellowstone is definitely a place you can visit several times and not see it all.
Indeed it is!
So last night and tonight we were/are at Cody WY in town at a crowded but nice campground. For $50 a night for a full hookup, I'm good.
Today we dropped the camper and drove the Chief Joseph scenic byway over to the Beartooth American National Highway. It looks like that 60 miles of twisty switchback road is an attempt to extend Yellowstone to the east. It winds through the Shoshone National Forest and is just flat-out spectacular. Yellowstone Park does not have anything anymore stunning. We were clued in by a gentleman who visited the park annually until discovering this byway. He drove four days from Alabama just to drive and hang out on the Beartooth.

The Beartooth pass is a tad bit higher than the highest point in Yellowstone. We started the day in the morning in Cody at 77F. it was drizzling in the 40s on the Beartooth mountain with snow fields all around us. I think Kat took several hundred photos as we now have several thousand to sort through.
The Ram was a superstar on the drive. Felt like it was on rails and had power all the time. I netted 14.5mpg for the day.
We ate at Bogart's in Red lodge, Montaña,  an old hangout of the actual Humphrey Bogart. Afterward, we descended and drove back to Cody on a nice and fast state road.
Tomorrow it is off to Devil's Tower and another cool campground
On campgrounds: KOAs are around but expensive and frankly, unnecessary. Find a national forest and you will either find free displaced camping or a campground for no more than $20 a night, I have been paying single digits. If you search around you can find all sorts of cheap $50ish, mon and pop campsites, like the one we will sleep in tomorrow night. Lodging becomes one of your lesser costs when camping and fuel and food move to the forefront.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2024, 08:38:09 AM »
Don,  good times and thanks for sharing.

the area to the west of Jackson Hole as you head towards Teton has some great restaurants and places that are less touristy.  Grand Tetons are amazing too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2024, 10:19:24 AM »
Sounds like an amazing trip, Big D! It's definitely one that is on my bucket list. Thanks for the great trip reports!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2024, 10:25:11 AM »
We went there a few years ago and have talked about going back. Spending a week there just wasn't enough. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2024, 11:05:58 AM »
Sounds like a great time. Yellowstone and the Alaska hwy are on my bucket list.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2024, 08:43:53 PM »
We have been in very spotty contact as in almost no cell phone and very little Wi-Fi.
We made it to Pinedale where we stayed for several days. We hiked, went to the Rodeo, explored, and camped on Fremont Lake. That was a great experience with two other couples.
From there we went north to a remote hot spring camping area and camped near the famous waterfalls from the movie, "A river runs through it."
The corps of engineers built a custom swimming pool there that fills from a hot spring, so we lounged in those heated waters for a while.
From there it was north into Jackson Hole, WY, where it is best to just pass right through unless you enjoy crowds and obnoxious T-shirts.
We moved over to another remote campsite which was pretty primitive but with a fee. That cost me $7 for the day/night.
We went into Yellowstone the following day. It really consists of two ring roads of 70-80 miles each, ll done at about 30mph average. We ended that day over in Montana in West Yellowstone. We then roamed over the northern loop hitting so many must-see attractions that I lost count. We ended that day outside the northeast gate again in a national forest in Montana. We paid $20 for the night for another mostly primitive camping.
We rejoined the park and drove the whole eastern side. We finished the day near the upper/lower falls and the dragon's breath roaring hot spring. Both of those places were show-stopping good!
From there we made our way ninety-odd miles east to Cody WY where I am sitting and getting ready to go to another Rodeo. Kat and I discovered we really like the Rodeo!
I scarcely have words to describe Yellowstone. First of all, it is immense, like over a million acres. It is so many distinctly different places all co-located. Yellowstone Lake is enormous and has bubbling and roaring springs along the shore in places. Old Faithful does not disappoint. The Great Falls is the second tallest in North America and the tallest in the West. The plains to the north are home to thousands of buffalo. One stopped my truck and casually walked by my door an arm's distance away. The geothermal areas hiss, stink, roar, and bubble, and dare you to understand what is happening. The mountain roads and vistas are really up there, like 10,000 feet. You can see for great distances and the whole thing challenges one to take it all in.
We have had to work through several breakdowns and equipment failures but after doing this I believe one should not expect to push this hard or far without something breaking, it just isn't reasonable. The name of that game is to just push through it.

Don, let me put this right here https://www.starlink.com/roam

AND I picked up this  and its pretty nice https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/veterans-and-gold-star-families-free-access.htm

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2024, 09:25:53 AM »
It’s the least they could do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2024, 07:20:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for the well wishes!
Phil: I have the military National Parks card, and I didn't have to pay for access anywhere. One night for camping at Granite Mountain, WY, the gentleman there waived my fee because of it. Pretty cool
So we just got home. The trip was 4015 miles.
We passed through Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, then back through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio then Kentucky.
We visited many national forests such as Shoshone, Big Horn, Bridger-Teton, Black Hills, and a couple others.
We visited Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Mount Rushmore, and Devils Tower National Parks.
We drove to every gate in Yellowstone except for the north gate
We drove both loops of Yellowstone.
We went to two Rodeos
We hiked in several places including the Sacred Rim of the Wind River mountain range in Wyoming at 10,000 feet
We saw temps from 39F up to 99F.
We visited the Crazy Horse memorial which makes Rushmore look like a kid's carving by comparison.
We went boating and Kayaking and floated on a lazy river indoor pool in Pinedale, WY
We boondocked and also stayed in fully appointed campgrounds with laundry and showers.
We had all sorts of wild animals in our campgrounds, about everything except for bears!
We stayed at Granite Falls where the waterfalls in "A River Runs Through It" was filmed and soaked in hot springs there after hiking
We were eaten alive by a million mosquitos, ate OK, and watched sunsets over a campfire
We stayed and visited with friends and did some alone.
I had to wait while a Buffalo walked by my truck, blocking traffic.
My phone died on day number three and stayed that way until the last day when we neared home! Yes, that really happened. No phone for weeks!
We drove the Bear-Tooth American Highway which froze me and scared me in places.
We met many wonderful and amazing Americans.
I learned a bunch more about the Lakota Indians and have to say, they were the friendliest people we talked to on the whole trip!
We suffered a bunch of breakdowns and technical failures and we learned.
I was surprised at times, and angry others when something would fall off my truck or camper. I was happy a lot and stared quite a bit. I think I had my mouth open at times, especially while watching the Dragons breath cauldron in Yellowstone.
We learned that these back-pack campers are for the birds, and we don't like them
After having 4000+ pounds hammering the back end of my truck all those miles, the thing now leans right and the camper has around two dozen repairs which will be warranty. Note to self: Listen to friends and either take the Jeep/rooftop tent or drag a fifth wheel.
We are tired and fuzzy headed and trying to just take it all in. We watched America pass by mile by mile while a six-cylinder diesel, sucking down fuel at a rate of 9.6 mpg carried us along. There is just so much to see of America that I can scarcely register but a small part of it. Would I do it again? Absolutely, and not all that differently...

« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 07:25:50 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2024, 01:20:17 AM »
Wow,,,,,

Glad your back safe.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2024, 09:07:46 AM »
Wow,,,,,

Glad your back safe.
Thanks

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2024, 09:13:46 AM »
My new hat supplied and fitted by Bob who owns the Cowboy Store in Pinedale WY. He has sold and fitted hats for nearly 50 years.

Kat and I at Buffalo Springs, Yellowstone

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2024, 01:32:08 PM »
Nice pic of you 2, hat looks good on you too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2024, 10:40:33 PM »
There is nothing like a custom fitted hat.

Good picture of you both.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2024, 01:18:23 PM »
There is nothing like a custom fitted hat.

Good picture of you both.

On that point:

I learned a properly fitted hat fits your head size without being tight. It should settle naturally to where the hat's brim rides just above the top of one's ears.
Mine feels like I have worn it for years. It is a bit hot to wear in the summer, and I wore it everywhere, including the hike we took to "Sacred Rim" which was 10,000 feet and nearly 90 degrees at the end. My head was hot, but that hat never budged, created a hot spot, or felt out of place. During the cold, I am pretty sure I could wear it all day, and I guess I will when it gets colder.

Oh, and that explosion at Yellowstone was at a place that Kathy walked through. On that day I was hurting and struggling to get a few miles. I went back to the truck while she continued down into that basin right beside Old Faithful.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2024, 04:03:40 PM »
I'll bet it kept your head cooler than you thought too.

I was wondering about that explosion. Least you weren't then when it blew.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2024, 11:42:00 AM »
Sounds like a great trip, Don. Color me jealous!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2024, 01:42:24 PM »
Sounds like a great trip, Don. Color me jealous!
You're young
Plenty of time to get it done!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal