Hello Guest

Author Topic: 224 Valkyrie  (Read 3681 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
224 Valkyrie
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:00:57 PM »
Anyone up on these- sounds interesting!  6.5 necked down to 556  - stay super sonic out past 1000 yards
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: 224 Valkyrie
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 07:00:55 AM »
Saw a post about it. Past a quick 30 second blurb, I got nothing.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:33:12 AM »
I got an email from Integrity Arms that announced a pre-sale on a match barrel with other stuff and then read the description: interface with 6.5 AR bolt and similar parts.  Less susceptible to wind drift and flatter trajectory using Federal projectile and factory loads appear to be already available.

Charles, you know anything?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
I know nothing.

I’ll run some data through the ballistic calculator next week.

Frankenstein loads won’t get you much in barter or in interoperability when the fecal matter spatters

However keep in mind that all the dudes shooting 243 and 7wsm in competitions were only getting about 4000 rounds down a barrel before it was worn out from all that hot powder in the throat.

Speed kills barrels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »
I know nothing.

Frankenstein loads won’t get you much in barter or in interoperability when the fecal matter spatters

However keep in mind that all the dudes shooting 243 and 7wsm in competitions were only getting about 4000 rounds down a barrel before it was worn out from all that hot powder in the throat.

Speed kills barrels

Great points Charles.....wasn't so much worried about barter as much as long distance communication with prairie dogs, coyotes and the like in my retirement.......and maybe vaporizing full beer cans at Don's Kintukee cottage!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »
I know nothing.

Speed kills barrels

Great points Charles.....wasn't so much worried about barter as much as long distance communication with prairie dogs, coyotes and the like in my retirement.......and maybe vaporizing full beer cans at Don's Kintukee cottage!
All I can offer you is a tad less than 250 meters bro.

Now having said that, when I buy the other three farms surrounding me, if that ever happens, shooting to that next ridge and beyond we could get you out to 700 or more easily, I think.

I am finding that .224 V interesting

I used to be a big fan of the .220 Swift. Sort of like this...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »
What intrigues me is my assumption that it should allow me to just build another upper and pin it to my existing .308 ? Wouldn’t it be the same lower in AR 10 configuration?   Charles, Bobby?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 06:26:47 PM »
Charles, I was told it wasn't the speed as much as all the powder burning that ate up barrels. Cuda, more important to know what the bullet is doing at the needed range than how fast it is getting there. I know the wind is not a friend but heavier keeps a better line than faster. A good old .257 Roberts improved is about as good as it gets for longer range yote hunting.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 07:15:34 PM »
Correct Bob but to get little bitty bullets going fast you gotta have lots of powder. Some 243 AIs I’ve seen are pushing 4000fps and have barrel life much shorter than 4000 rounds. As little as 2000 rounds at times.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »
I completely agree, no free lunch. I would rather have a note sheet showing drop than save up for a barrel replacement and all the work to get the load worked up.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 07:30:15 PM »
Agreed Bob. Little hot loads like that, are a crutch for poor shooting skills IMO or when you are competing and have a sponsor, money is no object.  You mis read the wind or distance and its a lot more forgiving at 4000fps.  That's why now they have 308 matches where only 308s compete.  Levels the playing field.  I still think the 300 WM is hard to beat all around.  One reason the secret service used it for years and perhaps still do.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »

Agreed Bob. Little hot loads like that, are a crutch for poor shooting skills IMO or when you are competing and have a sponsor, money is no object.  You mis read the wind or distance and its a lot more forgiving at 4000fps.  That's why now they have 308 matches where only 308s compete.  Levels the playing field.  I still think the 300 WM is hard to beat all around.  One reason the secret service used it for years and perhaps still do.

Yup.....My go to round for hunting is a 300 win mag. Might mess up a little more meat but they are usually dead right there.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »
What intrigues me is my assumption that it should allow me to just build another upper and pin it to my existing .308 ? Wouldn’t it be the same lower in AR 10 configuration?   Charles, Bobby?

I think it would snap to the 15 lower. But I know absolutely nothing about this round or it's preferred setups.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 09:53:21 AM »

I think it would snap to the 15 lower. But I know absolutely nothing about this round or it's preferred setups.

I was just reading about this round elsewhere.  The .224 V uses the .223 bolt face so would work with AR 15.  That seems to be what it was developed for also.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 10:25:59 AM »
I still think the 300 WM is hard to beat all around. 

If you'll donate your fancy 300 Wm, I'll accept it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »
It’s a sledgehammer for sure.  Not a pleasure to shoot at least without a muzzle brake or suppressor.  Want a 338 class can to put on it and a new long range optic before I start shooting it again

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »
It’s a sledgehammer for sure.  Not a pleasure to shoot at least without a muzzle brake or suppressor.  Want a 338 class can to put on it and a new long range optic before I start shooting it again

How about this. I'll take the 300 off your hands and then you can build your next dream rifle with a 338 can. Everyone wins!  :grin:

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
So is there a .338 already or are you planning for one in the future?  I've got plans for a .300 WSM next.  Something nice and light to take out west.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 10:42:53 PM »
No 338 planned. Suppressors work on volume. My 30 cal thunderbeast is rated for 300wm but a larger volume would make tame the extra powder capacity. 338 cans have a lot of volume and would work well and it would allow me to build a 338 later should the fancy strike me.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 11:38:49 PM »
So, after replacing a 1TB hard drive and rebuilding the raid array in my desktop, i was able to initially play around with some numbers for the .224 Valkyrie

They seem to have a different BC for the 90gn SMK than is in my software.  Trying to duplicate their advertised dope, I had to increase the BC on the SMK to .287 from the sierra advertised .256.  Not sure how they got there.

Sure, it gets there quick but with very little energy at 1000.

Conversly the 200gn SMK from a 300wm at the same velocity will deliver more than double the energy downrange.  Loaded to the same muzzle velocity it gets there about the same time and the valkyrie needs about 1/3 an MOA less windage.

If you are putting rounds downrange with hate and discontent, I'd want the 30 cal weapon.  If I were punching paper, I might consider it, if it werent for what I would believe would be very short barrel life.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 12:35:19 AM »
Yeah, I just don't get the smaller bullet theme.

Putting a hole is paper is not taking something down at 500+ yards, energy.

My 7mm has served me well, but I could see a 300 or 338 in my future
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 07:07:18 AM »
The 7mm round is very hard to beat.  If I had plenty of time and nothing else to do, I'd like to build a 7mm Allen Magnum, which is based on a necked down 338 Lapua case.  Spits out some stupid fast pellets.  200 gn bullet at 3300fps

here's some brain candy for you...

http://www.apsrifles.com/Allen_Magnum_Wildcats.html

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:09:56 AM »
7mm is a nice round as well. My buddy has a 7mm Mag and I'm waiting for him to sell it, but he never will as it's his deer rifle.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »
Around here, 223 is the max caliber you can use to hunt coyotes. Some fellas wanted more speed and made wildcats in 22-243 and 22-284 (!!!). Both would be able to launch even the heaviest 22 projectiles at insane speeds, but as stated would limit barrel (throat) life for sure!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:48:07 AM by rcampbell »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 10:55:05 AM »
In Texas we hunt turkey with a 375H&H

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 06:50:49 PM »
In Texas we hunt turkey with a 375H&H

Those turkey found mostly in zoos, have big ears, four legs, and a long nose?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 06:00:40 AM »
No , knucklehead shot one from about 20yds. Beak and feet were all that were left

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 08:50:21 AM »
No , knucklehead shot one from about 20yds. Beak and feet were all that were left

That’s a good waste of turkey bacon..... :rolleyes:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »

:facepalm:

Turkey isn't made from pig...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 10:15:56 AM »

If he were actually shooting at a package of turkey bacon I would call that a public service!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2018, 10:48:05 AM »

If he were actually shooting at a package of turkey bacon I would call that a public service!

:facepalm:

Turkey isn't made from pig...

Well, it’s too early in the morning for me to tackle either one of you knuckleheads. More coffee I guess is the answer, if Ken responds I might as well just shoot me self...... :facepalm:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »
Only hippies eat turkey bacon.  :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal