Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Rig for Wife - Exploring Excursion Options  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
New Rig for Wife - Exploring Excursion Options
« on: January 14, 2020, 08:00:30 AM »
Hi Gents,

Wanted to throw this out there and see what you all thought.

We recently purchased a used 30' ATC Aluminum Toy Hauler that is around 7500 - 8,000 lbs to use to pull around to shooting matches we attend for our company. One of the main reasons is so we can take our whole family (wife and three kiddos at the moment, we homeschool and try to have the kiddos involved in everything.) My 1992 W250 pulls it adequately with what I have done to her (I will probably do a build thread on her at some point) but my wife's 2007 Yukon XL Denali is going to struggle with it. Cannot fit the whole family in the W250 so for the matches we all go to we have to figure something else out.

What I would like to purchase is a 2000-2002 7.3 Excursion 4x4. She had a single wheel 2002 7.3 F350 before the Denali and I liked the truck, just tough with the kiddos. Finding a 7.3 Excursion nice enough to put my wife has been an endeavor. There are a couple several states away but all in the low to mid $20's.

Here is where I would like some opinions: For that money I am tempted to find a cherry example of a gas Excursion and swap over to a P-Pump 12V. I am pretty familiar with the 12V and am making good power even with my rotary pump one in my W250 with better turbo, injectors, exhaust, timing advance, propane injection ect…. The motor and mating is not necessarily my concern, I know it has been done and looks like quite a few of you guys have done Cummins swap into a variety of rigs. The concern is making all the creature comforts work to avoid marital conflict that may come from swapping her out of the Denali in the Excursion - windows, cruise, accessories, ect.

What are your thoughts on difficulty of getting all those first world amenities to work after a swap?

Picture of camper we are looking to pull with it. Was really happy to find this one, 7,000 lb axles, all aluminum with .050" aluminum siding and a 6" lift on the camper for clearance. Buddy had just bought a brand new one from them  :shocked:$$ and we used it for a few matches before I saw this one for sale a few hours away. 2004 model, never really used. Literally had one trip to Sturgis on it and then parked.

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 1 Cor. 3:11

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: New Rig for Wife - Exploring Excursion Options
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:17:53 AM »
I’d find a newer 6.0 version that the motor is junk or questionable. Better transmission and google destroked out of wheat ridge Colorado (they are the premier parts swap company in the US) and drop a Cummins in it. They have all the parts and expertise to do the swap right. A ton of info on their site FYI. I’m going to be doing an 08-10 F350 w/ a 24v this summer.

Also note all excursions have a Dana 50 front, easy enough to source a Dana 60 from an F350

And as a guy who drives an excursion (v10 130+ on clock) that will be up for sale in a couple months it’s not a Denali it’s a truck. I’ve owned a Denali as well or my better half did......  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:22:01 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 08:30:12 AM »
That’s is a dream finished trailer. Let’s see some inside photos of thAt.

I agree with the 6.0. With such a bad reputation people let them go for a lot less cash then a 7.3 and they had a newer looking body shape.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »
Whatever you do upgrade the tow mirrors on that excursion.....

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 01:50:12 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. The search continues. Have one I am going to go look at this afternoon a couple hours away. Taking the car trailer so that always signals some level of commitment…

That’s is a dream finished trailer. Let’s see some inside photos of thAt.

I agree with the 6.0. With such a bad reputation people let them go for a lot less cash then a 7.3 and they had a newer looking body shape.   

I will some photos next time the sun is out. I was fortunate to find a really clean one.
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 1 Cor. 3:11

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »
I’d find a newer 6.0 version that the motor is junk or questionable. Better transmission and google destroked out of wheat ridge Colorado (they are the premier parts swap company in the US) and drop a Cummins in it. They have all the parts and expertise to do the swap right. A ton of info on their site FYI. I’m going to be doing an 08-10 F350 w/ a 24v this summer.

Also note all excursions have a Dana 50 front, easy enough to source a Dana 60 from an F350

And as a guy who drives an excursion (v10 130+ on clock) that will be up for sale in a couple months it’s not a Denali it’s a truck. I’ve owned a Denali as well or my better half did......  :wink:

And agreed, definitely will not be the same ride quality. Thankfully I have a really understanding wife, she drove a 2002 7.3 Crew Cab Long Bed single wheel F350 for several years before the third kiddo came. It was the length of a football field. Nice thing on an Excursion is it will actually fit in the garage!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 07:28:16 PM »
You know, I've been looking at the 90's Suburbans with the 454's. Seem like the southern and western vehicles are holding up, and that 454, although a gas hog, is a good puller. The insides of those aren't all that changed on the succeeding two generations.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:23:14 PM »
The 6.0 version would make more sense, especially if you find one that's already blown up... probably a bunch cheaper.
I don't think you'll have issues with accessories. Most of them run independent of the engine computer in those years. A/C might need a work around, but other guys have done it before.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 08:41:52 PM »
So maybe a dumb question, what’s wrong with a crew cab diesel? I have a family of 5, 3 girls the wife and I. My wife drove a crew cab diesel srw for years and we took it on family trips as well. Don’t get me wrong the excursion seating 8 is great but I’ve come to the conclusion it’s not ideal for a number of reasons.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 08:13:28 AM »
So maybe a dumb question, what’s wrong with a crew cab diesel? I have a family of 5, 3 girls the wife and I. My wife drove a crew cab diesel srw for years and we took it on family trips as well. Don’t get me wrong the excursion seating 8 is great but I’ve come to the conclusion it’s not ideal for a number of reasons.

Since I put the cover on my truck bed we take it on more family vacations/ road trips then we do my wife's vehicle.  It is just a lot easier to toss everything in the bed of the truck vs pack it in the back of her SUV.  Her fuel economy isn't that much better, plus it is more comfortable for me to drive all day.  We only have 2 kids so that does make it a little easier on seating for us.

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 08:58:42 AM »

Not a dumb question, perfectly valid! For us we have three kids right now but we believe that God is the best family planner so if He chooses to bless us with another/s we would outside the crew cab quickly. I do not want to put a bunch of time/money in something that I have to sell when she tells me another one is on the way! Plus my wife really likes having a suburban sized vehicle - happy wife happier life!

Since I put the cover on my truck bed we take it on more family vacations/ road trips then we do my wife's vehicle.  It is just a lot easier to toss everything in the bed of the truck vs pack it in the back of her SUV.  Her fuel economy isn't that much better, plus it is more comfortable for me to drive all day.  We only have 2 kids so that does make it a little easier on seating for us.

Agreed, I have a camper on my truck and will soon have a custom fabbed ambulance doored rifle storage, shooting platform, get in and hide from the Oklahoma tornado steel camper on it (joking on the tornado part but it will be heavy!) and it is super convenient to throw everything back there. Kiddo number is what dictates the three rows.

Anyhow the trailer did not come back empty last night. After posting one our the guys that works with me showed me a P-Pump 12V swapped Excursion a couple hours away. Went and checked her out and picked her up. A little difference approach than I was planning but hope it works out as well. I am looking at it kinda like an Eleanor. Mechanically she is pretty solid and whoever did the swap did a pretty good job initially, also has the front end swapped to later model 4 link. It has 70K on the swap so we know it works. Bad part is she has been driven and used hard the last year by a guy that bought her, was supposed to make payments to the owner and then made a couple and stopped. So I guess he literally drove her like he stole her, cause technically he did for a year. Not offroad, mud bog hard but used the inside like a pickup and never did any maintenance hard. So the plan is to make her nice! Wheels are going, lift is getting minimized, new front clip potentially, interior redone, some bugs worked out.

Oh, and that bumper has to go. It is all 1/4" steel and I am sure he had a lot of time in it, just not my flavor. Any takers?  :grin:

Took her straight to buddy's shop last night with a 6 week hack time before a planned trip to Moab in March. We shall see. Bad pics below, need to go over her in detail and start a list.....

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 09:30:38 AM »
Interesting, stock bumper would be much better than that hideous thing. Start a build thread on it if you don’t mind. The upgrade to I’m assuming 05+ Dana 60 front is a good thing if done right too.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »
That bumper looks like we could get it on Charles next lawnmower.  Help make sure it sinks to the bottom of the lake

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »
reminds me of mad max...
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 03:00:32 PM »
Sheesh. Bumpers gotta go...yikes.
Nice find tho if everything checks out.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 07:20:41 PM »
Well that escalated quickly.

...that bumper tho. Lol

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 08:08:51 AM »
Well that escalated quickly.

That is probably what my wife is saying.... picked up a super clean gasser last night for much less than the parts I needed to make the other one clean. Will start a build thread of the Excursion sammich..... straight and fast gents, straight and fast.

Red one bumper is available for those mad max fans.....

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 08:11:07 AM »
You know, I've been looking at the 90's Suburbans with the 454's. Seem like the southern and western vehicles are holding up, and that 454, although a gas hog, is a good puller. The insides of those aren't all that changed on the succeeding two generations.

Love the 90's Burbs, had a 91' in the family for years. Would be a tough sell to the Mrs!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 08:21:05 AM »
That one looks less abused than the red one for sure.
Didn't happen to come from Colorado by chance?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 08:44:54 AM »
Negative, mines white but it might be easier to swap all the good parts from red one into that nice looking black one....

Check door codes, one may have limited slip rear carrier and one may not....

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 08:46:30 AM »
That one looks less abused than the red one for sure.
Didn't happen to come from Colorado by chance?

No, it came out of Arkansas. It belonged to the owner of a salvage yard that recently passed. Story is it was just his hunting trip rig. Very straight, drove it 2 hours to the shop last night at 70 on the highway and did great. Really nice interior and actually the only vehicle I have now with hands free calling and Bluetooth!

Negative, mines white but it might be easier to swap all the good parts from red one into that nice looking black one....

Do you know the code offhand that denotes this?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 08:49:52 AM »
https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/axles/identify-your-ford-truck-axle-from-the-door-sticker/

El Tate (works for Randy’s ring and pinion) has rebuild kits for the clutches in those carriers. They are wearable parts.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 09:01:42 AM »
Yeah that’s a cleaner looking vehicle for sure,  lots closer to the Denali then the mad max looking rig

What year?
Did they put a v10 into the excursions?
Is the gas motor that terrible in them if it’s or in need of a swap is it required?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »

I’m a big fan of this statement.  Take the good stuff off mad max. Abuse shows up later in many ways.  That second one is a nice pick up for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 09:21:17 AM »
Yeah that’s a cleaner looking vehicle for sure,  lots closer to the Denali then the mad max looking rig

What year?
Did they put a v10 into the excursions?
Is the gas motor that terrible in them if it’s or in need of a swap is it required?

Dave, mine is a v10 but they put the 5.4 in them also. V10 is a decent motor, many with 200-300k just gas hogs as mine gets average 12 mpg

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 09:33:47 AM »
That’s really not that much different In the final pocketbook when you look at a years travel,  maybe a grand or two to jump from a Cummins for what maybe 16 mpg better.   

Ha ha arguing to leave it stock. Sorry

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »
https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/axles/identify-your-ford-truck-axle-from-the-door-sticker/

El Tate (works for Randy’s ring and pinion) has rebuild kits for the clutches in those carriers. They are wearable parts.

Thank you sir!

That’s really not that much different In the final pocketbook when you look at a years travel,  maybe a grand or two to jump from a Cummins for what maybe 16 mpg better.   

Ha ha arguing to leave it stock. Sorry

Totally understand, the thought did cross my mind.... very briefly but it did. This one was averaging 8.9MPG unloaded for me on the onboard calculator (which typically are off a decent amount and when your dealing with single digits that percentage could be high!)

We have a gentlemen that will buy the V10 motor and trans for at least half what I have in the black one. Also probably buy the axles and other parts I do not use, he runs a bunch of V10 F250s on his farm and always needs parts. Hopefully I get most of what I have in the black one out with keeping what I actually want and swapping over the good stuff from big red.

I am just a big fan of the 12v motors. Makes me all warm and fuzzy feeling inside thinking about a clean Excursion with a p-pump 12v in it.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 10:13:18 AM »

check the rear diff tag. 3L73105 means you have the limited slip he's talking about. 3 73 105 means you don't
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 04:43:44 PM »

check the rear diff tag. 3L73105 means you have the limited slip he's talking about. 3 73 105 means you don't

Thank you sir!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 08:49:05 PM »
So you're going to strip the nice one and transfer to the hammered one? Hope you don't regret that decision bud. Either way, looking forward to the outcome.
Edit: nevermind. I'm having a problem with reading comprehension lately.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:52:34 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2020, 09:12:49 AM »
So you're going to strip the nice one and transfer to the hammered one? Hope you don't regret that decision bud. Either way, looking forward to the outcome.

Happens to the best of us! Nope, swapping the good stuff over to the black one! Getting the build sheet together on it and should be pulling them both in to the shop next week and starting tear down. Have to run to SHOT Show in Vegas for a few days but should be getting after it pretty heavy after next week.

Do you guys want me to start a new build thread or should I just continue this one? Not sure if I can change the title or not?

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2020, 10:03:20 AM »

Happens to the best of us! Nope, swapping the good stuff over to the black one! Getting the build sheet together on it and should be pulling them both in to the shop next week and starting tear down. Have to run to SHOT Show in Vegas for a few days but should be getting after it pretty heavy after next week.

Do you guys want me to start a new build thread or should I just continue this one? Not sure if I can change the title or not?
Not sure what everyone else may want, but I'd like to see a new thread with this change in direction...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2020, 12:09:19 PM »
I agree start from scratch, get us break down on each vehicle specs and plan or direction forward.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2020, 01:23:42 PM »
Your truck your thread lol do what ya want

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2020, 08:58:50 PM »

.Have to run to SHOT Show in Vegas for a few days but should be getting after it pretty heavy after next week.

SHOT show. Jealous! Lol

Yes on the build thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2020, 09:57:21 AM »
don’t know how i missed this but i hate i did. a friend of mine is selling a ppump ex that he ‘11-‘16 front end swapped as well. driven it for 5 years. it’s a cool truck. but glad to see you have the parts already! and as sean said.. upgrade those tow mirrors!

Offline Foundation

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 04:32:56 PM »
Been out of town for the last bit but getting back after it. Will start new thread soon (I hope)

don’t know how i missed this but i hate i did. a friend of mine is selling a ppump ex that he ‘11-‘16 front end swapped as well. driven it for 5 years. it’s a cool truck. but glad to see you have the parts already! and as sean said.. upgrade those tow mirrors!

If it is still for sale I would be interested in talking with him!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal