Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2000 XJ  (Read 20799 times)

Offline xjteeg

• Registered
    • View Profile
2000 XJ
« on: January 28, 2018, 06:00:26 PM »
Recently I purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) with the help of my dad. So he is pushing for me to start a build thread so... here we go.

Offline xjteeg

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 XJ
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »
Currently the XJ has 31 inch BFG All terrains on 15 inch wheels, 4.5 inch lift the best we can tell, it also has SYE, and detachable sway bar links.

Goals for the XJ is to replace the front and rear bumpers, add light bar, mount the rack properly (hose clamps don't count), proper sized battery, remove the getto sub and amplifier wiring, add an anti-theft kill switch, and new gas struts to replace the broomstick handle currently residing in the trunk.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »
 :likebutton:
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »
Awesome!  Welcome to the Forum and we’re glad to see your father has someone to keep him in line!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 07:44:41 PM »
Looks good baylee, looking forward to the improvements.  Just make sure you keep your dad on track and dont let him go all crazy.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:50:53 PM »
I like that, and interestingly enough, I plan to buy my 15 year old one of those and build it as a father/son thing sometime this year.
I will be watching with much interest!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »
Very cool!  I wish my girls were into vehicles.....I think they think they'll uber everywhere they go.....

Welcome to the forum. 
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline xjteeg

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 10:20:46 PM »
Looks good baylee, looking forward to the improvements.  Just make sure you keep your dad on track and dont let him go all crazy.

I’ll sure try, no promises lol.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 10:23:16 PM »
Don, start looking early. It was an exhausting search & at times I had to take a break for a few days as it was frustrating the crap people try to gloss over & pawn off.

Charles, well at least one of my three are into vehicles. I honestly think Baylee will be the only one we will be modifying a vehicle for to any extent. I tried real hard to talk her into something with more girly features such as sunroof & leather aka a grand Cherokee. She just wasn’t having it & finally I threw in the towel. Of the three she is the most outdoorsy girl, enjoys hunting and shooting I think more than the other two. She field strips and cleans all of the ar’s after a day of shooting. So in that regards she is very hands on.

We’ve done a few things already to the XJ we will detail when she has time. Most of it was just to get it ready to run thru emissions testing.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline xjteeg

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 10:27:12 PM »
I like that, and interestingly enough, I plan to buy my 15 year old one of those and build it as a father/son thing sometime this year.
I will be watching with much interest!

Very cool!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »
Welcome to the forums. Hope you understand we tend to stray time to time (DOT).

I think we have a couple bumper threads and someone who even makes em for others!

My youngest wants a 2 door, happy to help in a couple years.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:44:15 AM by nmeyer414 »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 06:32:24 AM »
Baylee, you ought to hug your dad.  I have 4 vehicles right now and a 14 year old.  Here's the plan:

The mint condition honda odyssey mini van will be the test monkey for the first driving daughter.  I told her that if she drives it for two years and does't wreck it, she gets to hand it down to her younger sister and take over momma's SUV or get something different.  If she wrecks it, she keeps it.  The youngest wants my 2001 duramax crew cab 4wd.  If she drives for two years and doesn't wreck what ever she starts in, I may just let her have it...maybe

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
I’ll follow this one, I like these jeeps, wish we had some out here with out rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 04:21:29 PM »
Don, start looking early. It was an exhausting search & at times I had to take a break for a few days as it was frustrating the crap people try to gloss over & pawn off.

Charles, well at least one of my three are into vehicles. I honestly think Baylee will be the only one we will be modifying a vehicle for to any extent. I tried real hard to talk her into something with more girly features such as sunroof & leather aka a grand Cherokee. She just wasn’t having it & finally I threw in the towel. Of the three she is the most outdoorsy girl, enjoys hunting and shooting I think more than the other two. She field strips and cleans all of the ar’s after a day of shooting. So in that regards she is very hands on.

We’ve done a few things already to the XJ we will detail when she has time. Most of it was just to get it ready to run thru emissions testing.
Shawn, Just did!
Start, that is
With your daughter showing up with something this cool, it got me all inspired to find Nate's first truck, and I was wanting an XJ forever, and get started on it doing the father/son thing.

My thought is pressure wash, repair, then sand and paint with fender cutouts, lift 4.5" 32's or 33's. Home made F/R bumpers, winch out of my truck (So I can buy a 16.5K!) homemade roof rack, side exhaust, homemade, Rock rails, snorkel, limb risers, then off to the races with ya!

I'm looking for that perfect 2K-3,500 ish 110 mile vehicle...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »
I’ll follow this one, I like these jeeps, wish we had some out here with out rust

Dave, I think these things rust everywhere.

But that can be easy-peasy

Fenders rust at the lip...Easy, just cut the fenders out for tire clearance! Rockers rust...Easy: just remove them and weld in some 2" X 3" rectangle tubing

Bumpers rust...Easy: Trash em, build new ones

Floorboards rust...Easy: Cut em out and weld in new ones, Rhino and move out

Nothing I have heard about these XJ's is hard

And if the truth be known, I would like to own a ZJ or a WJ myself...Granddad's 4-wheeler and all that
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:25:34 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:41 PM »
Nice jeep. Wish mine would've been that good of condition. I wouldn't have gotten rid of it.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 11:22:31 PM »

Shawn, Just did!
Start, that is
With your daughter showing up with something this cool, it got me all inspired to find Nate's first truck, and I was wanting an XJ forever, and get started on it doing the father/son thing.

My thought is pressure wash, repair, then sand and paint with fender cutouts, lift 4.5" 32's or 33's. Home made F/R bumpers, winch out of my truck (So I can buy a 16.5K!) homemade roof rack, side exhaust, homemade, Rock rails, snorkel, limb risers, then off to the races with ya!

I'm looking for that perfect 2K-3,500 ish 110 mile vehicle...
Maybe you can build a removable top that opens and closes.  Oh never mind lol

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 11:27:51 PM »
You mean like a JK? Now that’s just silly, everyone knows xj’s are just grocery getters...... :popcorn:

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
Grocery getter had a hidden gremlin. So yesterday I drove it over to emissions because I just love dealing with those knuckleheads. In reality it’s because I live in the people’s republic of boulder county Colorado. So it’s maybe a ten minute drive from the house. Worth noting I drove this vehicle twice before and the oil pressure held strong and steady both times. As I pull into the emissions wait lot I hear the top end developing a tick. As I pull to a stop I look down and the oil pressure gauge is dropping from ten to zero  :shocked: uh that’s no good! So immediately I shut it down, jump out looking at ground for oil and nothing. Pop the hood and check the oil, it’s good. So I jump back in and start it up. If I rev it to 1k we have 10psi, 2k & above we have solid 20 psi plus. So I decide we are going to forgo that enlightening conversation I was going to have with said knuckleheads. I manage to limp it back to my local mechanic by using neutral drops at stop lights and gauge stays ten or above whole ten minutes back to his shop. Motor sounded good whole trip back.

So today after installing a real gauge on the port the old girl got herself a new oil pump. As of 1700 the Jeep is fixed and my bank account is a bit smaller. Baylee now knows what an oil pressure gauge is and proper procedure when it is at zero.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:02:21 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 09:04:54 PM »
So why is the top end clicking? Does the OP sending unit pressurize the top oil galley?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 09:34:03 PM »
So why is the top end clicking? Does the OP sending unit pressurize the top oil galley?

My best guess is when the xj went to idle and the pressure dropped to zero it was starving the top end. I didn’t hear the tick on the way home while keeping up the rpms and subsequently the oil pressure. Prior to pulling in the emissions lot there are a couple stops lights, I hadn’t realized the pressure or lack there of issue at that time.

At the stops lights the dash light warning of the zero pressure never came on. Once in the parking lot it did come on. So I think it was failing little by little, once I got to that lot it dropped low enough for the dash warning light to flash on.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:32:28 PM by stlaser »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 05:33:44 AM »
How hard was replacing the pump?

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 05:58:23 AM »
Thats why I like full gauges. By the time the dummy light comes on its usually too late.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 06:33:32 AM »
How hard was replacing the pump?

As easy as signing a check! Reality on these not bad though from my understanding. Drop pan and swap it out, installing pickup tube in new pump I think is the most complicated part. Then sealing it back up. My personal rule is I try not to work on engine or trans internals. I’ve done shift kit mods & filter changes on transmissions in the past along with an oil pump on small block chevy’s but at this point I leave that stuff to guys that do it for a living. My local guy backs up the work for a year so that is decent insurance as well.

I agree with a real gauge, this has one albeit electronic sending unit so you never really know about that as they go out occasionally.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:34:53 AM by stlaser »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 06:41:49 AM »
ROFL.  Don't sprain a knuckle writing that check...

I'm good with engine internals but transmissions have always intimidated me.  I do also understand the need to sometimes just stroke the check..

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 06:55:26 AM »
ROFL.  Don't sprain a knuckle writing that check...

I'm good with engine internals but transmissions have always intimidated me.  I do also understand the need to sometimes just stroke the check..

None of it intimidates me really, if you have the time & tools why not? The information is available if you have the desire. I agree transmissions seem the most intimidating, a bit of finess needed for them I think. I’m a steel guy, we beat the crap out of stuff to make it work at times. I don’t think transmission rebuilding would lend itself well to that atmosphere?  :rolleyes:

Currently I have projects already backing up & a daughter who wants to drive this more than around the block. So there you go & my signing hand is in good shape still!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 02:30:15 PM »
So I put about 60 miles on the xj today & that was about 59 too many for me. I like my memories of driving an xj but the thing is tiny. Guess I like my jk more than I thought.....

Ok, so cold start this morning the Jeep showed 60 psi. Once it was warmed up the operating psi was anywhere from 18-35. At idle it dropped back to 10-12ish. Manual states at idle it should be 13 psi so I think we’re good. While mechanic had the pan off he gave the internals a once over and said it look clean and tight. No sludge build up etc, I’m thankful for that at least.

It also passed emissions with flying colors so we’re good for 26 months going forward on that. While digging in the glove box I found brake paperwork they paid for back in June 17 so maybe 3k on the brakes. After paying for the oil pump that was nice to see.

A few parts showed up today and Baylee has wrenching to do once again.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:31:26 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 06:39:19 PM »
Good report!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 07:59:44 PM »
Baylee has driven the XJ to practice and home the last two nights. Bump steer is the newest term she has learned and has been experiencing first hand. This has a bit of it, steering feeling a tad loose and rather than drive it you honestly herd it down the road. To me it's nothing I'm concerned about but to a new driver it gives her a little uneasiness.

So since the snow from this morning had melted off the concrete & after returning home with it after dropping her at practice I crawled under it. I don't think the setup looks that bad, although I see an opportunity to take some potential slop out of that steering for her. Another upgrade is in the works.

So stay tuned and in short order we will have her wrenching and learning the terms "single shear versus double shear" and a quick run down on how to combat the dreaded bump steer in a lifted XJ........

Offline xjteeg

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 08:36:47 PM »
First Update...

Out with the old junk.. still trying to figure out who Blain is?

In with 300 more CCA's

Then we crimped on new military grade battery terminals that I stole from dads secret jk stash...

Offline xjteeg

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
removed ghetto wiring and rack mounts

Then so the broomstick could be retired we had to replace one lift struts and add another, also am now aware of what the difference between single and double shear is...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:02:53 PM by xjteeg »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 09:54:16 PM »
Stealing parts off her dad's jeep stash...

And gettin' it done!

I like this girl!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 09:59:03 PM »
I like she is working on it.

Looks like the rear bumper needs attention?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 10:10:51 PM »
It needs front & rear bumpers which I’ll help her build. The next up on the list is steering though....

When we get to wrenching on the steering she’s gunna need to downgrade to something other than that nice white jacket.  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:13:28 PM by stlaser »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 08:00:24 AM »
I like those terminals.  Hadn't seen those before. Good to be building something with your daughter! I'm still building bird feeders with mine.  I hope that I get to build trucks with them....

Youngest wants the Bus, but I'm not sure I want that to be her first.  Lifted CCLB is probably not the right call

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »
I like those terminals.  Hadn't seen those before. Good to be building something with your daughter! I'm still building bird feeders with mine.  I hope that I get to build trucks with them....

I never managed the bird feeders, although the oldest two have assembled ar’s & I think I mentioned Baylee the last couple times after the range has field stripped & cleaned the weapons.

As far as the terminals I have been buying kits from amazon that come with crimp on terminals (although in xj’s case, wrong size) and short chunks of heat shrink tubing. They run about $20 a kit & are quality made even having positive & neg markings cast in them. There are several different suppliers on there of these terminals, note on several variations the terminal is not near as beefy so choose wisely. They make adding future power very easy. I need to do a review but that $26 Amazon crimping tool works great so far.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:03:16 AM by stlaser »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 12:46:45 PM »
I don’t care for those rubber covers that are a pain as they wear & get used / abused.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Style-Battery-Terminal-ShrinkTubing/dp/B01LT8J8IQ
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:50:04 PM by stlaser »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 08:49:52 PM »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:56 PM »
FJ, if you’re buying bulk you can get the style we used for under $5 each

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »
Good looking XJ! Always liked that body style. Welcome to the board, Baylee!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2018, 11:25:02 PM »
Baylee will be doing an update this weekend on a couple things that have been completed. As a bit of a teaser we were able to correct I would guess 70-80% of the bump steer without ever touching the steering components, details on that shortly.....

OldKooT

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 07:07:00 AM »
Baylee.... welcome ma'am.

I'd wager that's more than a 4.5 lift. I have one of these behind the barn that died via oil pump failure, and it has a 4" lift on it. The fenders had to be cut to fit 31's. Just FWIW.

But either/or, nice rig.  Hard to go wrong with the XJ platform honestly.. solid little Jeeps. I look forward to watching you guys have fun with it.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
So my oldest Baylee turned 16 yesterday (yes I feel older). Being Dad screwed up in getting an appointment for her learners permit she has to wait until May 8th to get her actual license, little bit of learning curve I guess. In the meantime she has a couple more things to address on her XJ.

Offline xjteeg

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 10:38:39 AM »
This is the jeep as first purchased with the OEM bumper minus the end caps.

strip down minus the OEM bumper

then we started with a couple pieces of 1/4 x 6 flat stock to create the frame mounting plates.

Then my dad cut and bent 1/4 x 8 flat stock and added holes for the winch mount. It was then tack welded to the frame mounts. One goal was to keep the winch low and tight out of the grill so the winch wouldn't restrict air flow to the radiator.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:25:03 PM by xjteeg »

Offline xjteeg

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »
here we added d-ring mounts and a lower 1/4 x 2 facet.

dads old winch from the early bronco that we drug out of the shed and mocked up, it fits!

me with some elbow grease cleaning up this dirty winch

finished up each side with 1/8 flat steel to create wings and then painted it with a textured grey and black paint.

Offline xjteeg

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
square nuts fit into the winch mount but we couldn't find any locking square nuts so we made our own.

here is the finished product including the battery cable quick disconnects and el jeffe winch cover courtesy of amazon.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »
great job baylee

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
Couple things I will add in here. First the winch and bumper maybe added 150# to the front end which did help the ride.

Warn doesn’t include battery disconnects in the cables when they send you a winch however it’s good insurance to add them. The contacts in winches especially as they age have been known to stick while winching. This actually happened to me years ago and luckily the old timer who was winching me with his eb had his battery relocated to passenger rear with no tailgate. I always wondered why he never tightened up the negative battery terminal on that truck. Occasionally while riding he would have to jump out and twist the terminal to get it to start. This always annoyed me and I would just shake my head. That is until late one evening early one morning he was winching me and doing so from a side access road to this particular trail. He was parked up on a 15’ ledge, the contacts stuck on that old 8274 winch and started dragging him towards the edge. He panicked for what seemed like an hour putting both feet to the floor on his brakes. Then he recalled why he kept that battery terminal permanently loose.

The other thing we were very surprised at is how much bump steer adding this front bumper fixed. If I would have to guess it took a good 80% of the steering issues away. I had figured it would help some with the large lift and flimsy unibody frame design but was overly surprised how much it helped. I have no doubt once we add cross over steering and a better track bar mount with its own brace that the steering will be 100%

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
I am extremely pleased to see the proper use of socks to protect ones feet, open toed shoes can be bad but using socks closes them right up,   I chose to weld and grind with out socks as to burn off the hobbit feet hair

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal