Hello Guest

Author Topic: Amazing reaction time and restraint  (Read 2010 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Amazing reaction time and restraint
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:47:47 AM »
How he kept from shooting the second guy is beyond me

https://youtu.be/YXbmr_Bmhq8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing reaction time and restraint
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 07:12:14 AM »
Somebody get the guy from the porch a new set of britches. He’s gonna need em.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 08:14:11 AM »
I can’t tell where did they guys gun go before he fell.  Cop had his hand in his own the whole time right?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 08:59:39 AM »
It was the move with his off hand that saved his life

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 09:05:02 AM »
I can’t tell where did they guys gun go before he fell.  Cop had his hand in his own the whole time right?

He dropped it as he was falling. It kinda gets slung into the grass away from the sidewalk.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:44:45 AM »
Always humorous how they pixelate the face. They should advertise the guy. "This is your brain on dumb. Don't shoot at a cop"

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 10:48:25 AM »

That is the trickiest thing and most dangerous to teach folks. Just went through this with the security team I run. The Marine instructor we have (Much better than me) did a great job, but basically you sweep with the left hand (assuming you are right handed) then fire from the draw strong arm only one or a pair. Then get to your "working area" and fire again, then push out and fire when you have the front post.

Very good possibility of shooting your own hand or arm
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »
Back when I was with the highway patrol and going through their handgun/defensive tactics courses their school of thought was that if you have to go hands on (against a gun, knives are different) do so with both hands just long enough to gain control of their weapon. Once you have control, maintain that control with your off hand while drawing your weapon to fire if disarming isn’t an option. Another point they made was that if you are maintaining control while firing from retention, get as close to the subject as you can. It lessens the chance of inadvertently shooting yourself and being close allows you to maintain better control.

*By no means am I questioning the officer in the video, just providing some food for thought.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »

That is the trickiest thing and most dangerous to teach folks. Just went through this with the security team I run. The Marine instructor we have (Much better than me) did a great job, but basically you sweep with the left hand (assuming you are right handed) then fire from the draw strong arm only one or a pair. Then get to your "working area" and fire again, then push out and fire when you have the front post.

Very good possibility of shooting your own hand or arm

Yes. And it’s trickier when the gun comes from the perps left hand.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 03:50:59 PM »
Back when I was with the highway patrol and going through their handgun/defensive tactics courses their school of thought was that if you have to go hands on (against a gun, knives are different) do so with both hands just long enough to gain control of their weapon. Once you have control, maintain that control with your off hand while drawing your weapon to fire if disarming isn’t an option. Another point they made was that if you are maintaining control while firing from retention, get as close to the subject as you can. It lessens the chance of inadvertently shooting yourself and being close allows you to maintain better control.

*By no means am I questioning the officer in the video, just providing some food for thought.

That's kinda how I was taught originally as well.  Blade the body, pivoting so as to present the left side to the perp, while simultaneously grabbing the weapon with the left hand (if they get off a shot you will have moved off the X by pivoting while moving their gun hand to your right) Then stepping forward, bring your right hand up to meet your left under the weapon barrel, pivoting the weapon up while aggressively  moving the weapon and perps hand downward, while aggressively twisting upwards on the weapon, thus breaking his trigger finger in the trigger guard as you rip it away from him.  Take a step back, while acquiring a firing grip on the weapon and engage him with his own weapon.  Bonus points for stitching him up ending with a head shot.

Reverse for a southpaw.  I need more practice against southpaws.  Using simrounds makes it more real since if you don't get off the X, simrounds leave a mark.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 11:24:31 PM »
For a southpaw you can take the muzzle up while getting a purchase on the butt of the grip with your right hand. Try to make the muzzle touch the back of the left hand (the one holding the gun in this case) then take a step back and rip the gun towards you. Same outcome for whatever finger is inside the trigger guard.

*disclaimer: I’ve drilled this stuff in LE and civilian classes but never had to disarmed someone in a real life or death situation.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »
That was great video. What was it 3 seconds from threat to control of a second subject? Good thing his hand was on the gun.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 08:59:37 PM »
And how he only shot him twice is what’s amazing.  I’d have emptied it on him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 09:12:54 PM »
And how he only shot him twice is what’s amazing.  I’d have emptied it on him

Thread was down, dropped the gun. Very aware and turned on the other unknown quick.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 09:14:41 PM »
Oh I get it.  But what little training I’ve had, force on force, I can only imagine I’d still be freaking out and pulling a trigger 10 minutes later....
Amazing restraint LE has.  MIL gets a slightly, and I mean slightly more lenient runway, but LE is judged on everything down to the micro second.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »
When I did simunitions I did empty a mag on a guy with a shotgun. They asked why, said he didn't drop the gun and hadn't hit the ground yet.  :cheesy:

Paintball and Simunitions don't have an impact like a real round.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:21:02 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »
Exhibit A, and one more reason I can’t be LE.  I prefer civi ROEs, especially in Texas.  I can empty, reload and empty again and still be in self defense mode....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 09:35:28 PM »
I have no issue with that,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
I feel the officer was exemplary in his control and training.  I hope this is shown to recruit classes more often than not.

Who draws on a cop, I mean I guess if you have nothing to lose...just terrible.
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 09:49:43 PM »
Can't agree more, great work.

The bad guy also thought he had backup,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal