Hello Guest

Author Topic: the GM guys here  (Read 1848 times)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
the GM guys here
« on: June 15, 2018, 06:23:46 PM »
Of the Yukon/Suburban's what Engines, tranmissions, years should be avoided if you were looking at one to buy?  I been looking at something to get me thru the summer and they seems to be priced pretty well for what your getting.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: the GM guys here
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:32:56 PM »
The years I am not sure on years But there was a active fuel management system that shut down some of the cylinders and caused a oil consumption issue.  2007- and up, the 5.3 motor I believe.   We stayed away from those, the 6.0 or Escalade or deniali motors used in the all wheel drive model did not have that system or issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
Any 3/4 ton burb is pretty much problem free (relatively speaking) and lasts a very long time. On the negative side, the fuel economy in those is not great
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
I have an 04 Suburban with the 5.3. It is my wife’s daily driver and now has 195,000 miles. It has never had anything other than maintenance done and an alternator rebuild. Only fluids and filters otherwise. All service done per the owners maintenance recommendations. It is on its second set of tires which are nearing the end of their life. I have no idea how they last so long. This year did not have the active fuel management. If i were to buy a new one that system would be disabled for sure.
The parts to keep these things going are cheap cheap cheap. The alternator rebuild cost less than $100. I was told by a service department in Colorado that they could swap in a new engine and transmission for $2800 each.
When it dies i will repower it. I will add a turbo or possibly do a crate motor that is much larger. I would like a 500-600 horse power sleeper. But, this thing keeps going and doesn’t burn a drop of any fluid. I have also though about shipping it to duraburb for a Duramax transplant.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 02:15:37 PM »
2007- and up, the 5.3 motor I believe.   

This is correct.  2007 to current 5.3L engines with AFM are not as bulletproof as the older version without AFM.  2007 particularly is a year to avoid.  After that they implemented a few band aid solutions, but have not completely fixed the problem to date as far as I have seen.  It typically fails outside of warranty, so they don't care.

If you want to avoid AFM here are the options:
2006 or older 5.3L
Any year 6.0L (found in the 2500 suburban only)  At least I don't think they have added AFM yet to this engine, anyone else know about the newest ones?
2010 and older 6.2L (found in Yukon denali and escalade only)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 06:55:37 PM »
You can get the 6.0 in the the higher end Yukon or Tahoe.  But it was rare

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »

The suburban LTZ and Escalade have the 6.0 but they suck for towing because of the air ride suspension. I would assume the high end Yukon and Tahoe are the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 05:07:51 PM »

The suburban LTZ and Escalade have the 6.0 but they suck for towing because of the air ride suspension. I would assume the high end Yukon and Tahoe are the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

confirmed. I burned up two compressors towing my 30' trailer.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:14:14 AM »
In Detroit visiting daughter after dropping dog off in Ohio.  Driving rental Silverado with a v6 and fuel management system. Not bad, but I wouldn’t own one- average HWY mileage close to 23mpg for trip so far.  It will get out of it’s own way but I wouldn’t tow with it. Might make a good LIGHT work truck tossing light bulky stuff in the bed, but definitely not anything heavy of any substance.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal