Hello Guest

Author Topic: Project: "Don't do this at home"  (Read 33063 times)

OldKooT

Project: "Don't do this at home"
« on: December 13, 2015, 10:13:44 AM »
Ready to see how NOT to build a truck?  All build threads need a goal, a plan, and to that end this one has that as well. I know because I spent all day yesterday talking myself out of doing what I am about to do...here is the goal.

I am going to take my much adored, trusty old friend we all call "patch" which is your average close to half million mile type 91.5 CTD W250, and cobble it together yet some more. The goal.... see what kind of truck it can be and not buy any new parts. None...The rules are simple...if it's in my barn/sheds/possession it's a part I own or have laying around...so not new. If I can't find something it needs from the barn/collection, well Craigslist E bay whatever...but not new.

So if your squeamish and believe one must always use new parts when doing such things....this thread will send you into convulsions.

Present state of condition: Well at this point in time it has no brakes. That's the first fix....I am tired of dropping the snow plow to stop the truck. I now have plow marks on my work bench.

The engine runs very well. No idea of the original miles, but I was assured when we purchased it we were North of 400K. Given the worn pedals, the fact that the front brake caliper brackets are so worn someone shimmed one with a tin can so it doesn't fall off, and other factors, suggest to me it's a fair guess Patch is approaching a half million miles as claimed.

The head gasket does leak under heavy boost. When you see antifreeze on the windshield, you know your making good boost. This has always been a handy indicator unless the wipers don't work...which is common. Oddly it has almost no blow by whatsoever...a mystery to me.

It does leak fuel from the injection pump..but it keeps the frame nice and oily and rust free so...I haven't let that concern me. The fan wobbles pretty bad...I will likely just remove it.

None of the power windows worked...or for that matter the locks. Recently my 2 year old grandson tore the drivers door mostly off...so we have replaced the doors with some used ones we had laying about. That's about the time the brakes quit...

Body: The cabs ok for the most part...cowl cracks and the normal Dodge stuff. The rest....blah.

So I could get into much more detail....but I have to drive this every day for the most part...so this should be interesting.  Ya ready? This is going to be a how not to do things thread....I am going to enjoy this.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:07:11 PM by OldKooT »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Project: "Don't do this at home"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »
I like it, farmer first aid 101......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »
this will be interesting!

how good is the story of your 2 yr old grandson almost tearing off the drivers door?

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 11:56:53 AM »
I'm having convulsions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 12:01:18 PM »
I like it, but it aint fair.

From the description of your place you could put together a fleet of vehicles from parts laying around. In the search for parts for this thing you may find a complete running truck you forgot you had. Growing up on a farm I completely understand it. I was taught to cobble stuff together with parts laying around from a young age. This should be fun to watch.

OldKooT

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 12:47:21 PM »

This was the end result...the already been replaced (power windows quit) door was shredded.

The above picture was him explaining it to me after the fact. Notice the position of hi hands....he was explaining how upset he was it didn't go forward.

STORY: Grandma (my wife) and him were cleaning out the truck. She started to vacuum the pass side floor from outside the truck while he sat on the seat in the middle. He stood up, walked over and tied to pull the gear shift lever...she yelled no and lunged for him, he then yanked it harder and somehow broke the interlock with his body weight and away the truck went. It rolled downhill, picked up speed with my wife running along side on the passenger side tying to slow it to make sure he was safe, and didn't fall out. Mean time he's yelling he want's to go forward and starts steering so he had a good grip on the wheel LoL.  They hit a parked Oldsmobile 98 with the bumper, then the already open Drivers door hit a telephone pole as it sped past. Then it all came to rest when it hit a large pile of dirt.

Grandma has a bruised up leg from the door on her side trying to kill her while she tried to make sure he couldn't fall out...while running and dodging Oldsmobile's...also the parked Olds took some fair damage when the truck punted it out of the way.... but nothing to worry about, and my truck....well the door was junk, both hinges, and somehow the actual cab escaped with no damage.

One of those should never have happened, but it did deals.

OldKooT

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 12:56:20 PM »
Ya know, as many parts as I have laying around, I seem to often times still not have what I need. Or I can't find it... as an example. I have MANY Dana 60 brake rotors laying around...but they are all rusty or thin....I am having to be inventive. Weather says 3-6" of snow for tonight...I need it running/driving and I have no "decent" rotor. But I have a plan.... I also need a short side axle shaft U joint it seems...In fact the entire Dana 60 needs to be gone through in truth. The king pins on the thing are wobbly and well anyway.... first we make the brakes work.....then I will address the other issues after I dig for some parts. Pictures will follow.....soon as I have time to snap some.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 01:01:01 PM »
Thank the lord that that young man is ok.  Now that is a funny picture of him tryin to esplain what happened.  I am sure you started laughing at some point.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »
Thank the lord that that young man is ok.  Now that is a funny picture of him tryin to esplain what happened.  I am sure you started laughing at some point.

Remind him when he's older that it did say "Dodge" & "Ram" on the side of it!  Glad everyone is ok and no serious injuries!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 04:15:46 PM »
Norm,

You sure have a unique way of looking at things.

Plows for brakes, well, that's, well, that's just (Ab)Norm(al)

But I'm in it to win it...lets see whatcha come up with. Poor momma is takin' a beatin' on this already!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
I will have some pictures at some point when I get my phone and laptop to cooperate. But moving along.....

The disassembly of the passenger side of the Dana 60 went poorly. For starters, my spindle nut socket went missing. I have about 10 assorted spindle nut sockets, but the one I needed for the Dodge..."gone" So....off to town to go get one and $24.99 or something at the local parts palace, and we are back in business. It's not going to match the Snap-on one that went missing...but in a pinch right?

Then as it turns out some idiot used a punch and hammer or something and fairly ruined the spindle nuts so the wrench didn't fit anymore. Probably should have looked first, but I needed to replace the missing spindle nut socket anyway, which will then facilitate the one that went missing to be found I am sure. So I removed the spindle nuts with a punch and hammer.

So the brake rotor has two nice 1/4 deep grooves on the inside face of it. After thinking about this, I decided it's just like a slotted rotor on a race car, and deemed it serviceable for the time being. "cooling grooves don't you know"

I decided to swap out that sloppy U joint...so the spindle and such had to come off. Let me tell you, I have never had a spindle be so stuck that a dead blow hammer, and then a 6lb hammer and a brass drift...couldn't begin to remove.

It was clear someone had at one point not many miles before we bought the truck, installed a new set of wheel bearings/seals and the stickiest grease known to man. The ruined brake caliper and pads/were also fairly recent. I suspect also so was the rotor...

It was also very clear no one had ever removed that spindle. After dreaming of how much fun it would be to grab the gas axe and hack the spindle off in little pieces while smiling I relaxed and realized those spindles are expensive and I best get a new plan. My wife being her usual self suggested I should use my $350 air chisel. So, I did, and the spindle came off in 30 seconds...score one for the expensive air hammer yet again. (everyone needs one of these)

The Axle U-joint was complete OEM and junk. So.... up to my barn loft to see what we have in stock to fix this mess.

I have and I counted, 7 short side Dana 60 axle shaft assemblies. (might be others I didn't find) None had a good U-joint. I have 11 long side...all had good U-joints. Mumbling about that, my wife once again suggests I tap into my NOS Spicer collection and use one of those joints. Problem is....this is a temp fix, and I didn't want to waste a $50 joint I likely paid $2 for.

So over to the press we went, I removed a semi decent joint from a long side assembly, then pressed that into my short side shafts and bingo... good as gold. I did swap some used needle bearings from a second used joint that was laying in my scrap pile from a 1410 joint. Ok, so I am about to toss the shaft back in and I remember that I had half intended to look at the king pin bushing/spring.

Some hosing down of the king pin caps bolts with good old ATF/Acetone mix commenced, and then killing 5 minutes chasing my wife around the shop with the flat board sander gave the "mix" a chance to work, and it only required a 3/4 Drive IR impact to remove them.

Upon removal of the king pin bushing and broken spring...we had found our wandering steering problem. Now one thing I do not have is any new king pin bushings. (not sure why) So I opened up my box of used king pin bushings/springs and deemed them all not serviceable and threw them in the trash...see I am cleaning the barn here now also. Multi tasking at it's finest. So I have loads of front Dana 60's laying in the other shed...but whats the chances any of those king pin bushings are better? And then it struck me ....I once bought a CUCV with like 4000 miles on it...and I stole the gears and L/S from it but I was sure the knuckles were still on it. 20 min latter....we had us a like new bushing/spring/cap assembly.

We reassembled this entire mess with a used caliper and pads off the shelf, and it's like brand new let me tell you. It stops nice and straight and properly. The 4x4 is once again functional, and it steers nice with a fresh king pin bushing/spring.

Thus ends what not to do project #1

About this time the 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »
Don, I think we need someone to go check on Norm.  He ended mid sentence like he was abducted by some space aliens....or some black SUV federales....

About this time the 

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:18:32 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 09:18:18 AM »
Nope he wasn't abducted. He just left to go gather up some used parts and head to your weekend place. He's gonna finish up that project while you are at work this week. All that money wasted on new parts was bothering him. ;D

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 10:29:37 AM »
Don, I think we need someone to go check on Norm.  He ended mid sentence like he was abducted by some space aliens....or some black SUV federales....

About this time the 

Yep, something happened

My best guess, usin' my militarie deduction is that his wife clocked him for chasing her around!

He'll get better...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »
Nope he wasn't abducted. He just left to go gather up some used parts and head to your weekend place. He's gonna finish up that project while you are at work this week. All that money wasted on new parts was bothering him. ;D

That made me chuckle......

OldKooT

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 03:57:20 PM »
Well Patch survived 140 miles of mud/snow/more mud today, and seems the 4x4 works well enough. I do sense I may have a brake caliper sticking on that Pass side, so I may yet have to swap that again. But if you use 4x4 when braking, it's hardly noticeable  :D

I think another modification that needs doing is a supercharged High Zoot windshield washer system. The constant mud being sprayed on the windshield this morning while loafing down a muddy gravel road at 65mph is annoying. I am considering a much larger tank and pump... stay tuned, I shall see whats laying around. I should also figure out some pictures for you all....

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »
Sounds like fun and I think your time line could be better than a few others here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

To bad there is no video of "the chase" or you chasing the wife with the sander, both golden moments!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

Re: Project: "Don't do this at home" (update)
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
Well the holiday season has come and gone and we have a few updates on this project.

We drove "Patch" from Nebraska to Wisconsin  to visit the kids. The trip was uneventful, we managed about 22mpg on a mixture of old drain oil, #2 and some ATF for color.

Updates: I noticed that my anti freeze usage has increased. I first blamed the head gasket that leaks under heavy boost, but then I noticed it was dripping a bit from the lower radiator hose. After a closer examination it was revealed we had a bad hose. I wandered over to my parts shelving selected a nice used gates hose with clamps pre installed, and slipped that on along with some fresh used anti freeze. Problem solved....

On the return trip from Wisconsin the key would no longer come out of the ignition. I am unsure what happened but I removed the lock cylinder and key, and decided I will use a screw driver for the time being. This is a nice anti theft property anyway....after all, it already looks stolen. And keeping a screw driver on the dash also is a nice defensive weapon if required.

We are returning to Wisconsin to visit the new grand baby that's due to arrive any day now. We may drag a trailer along and do some horse trading. Seems I have a mid 90's conversion van a buddy wants, and he has a 78 Bronco with Dana 60's and some other goodies I'd like to have....so a trade may be forth coming.

So with that possible goal, we will have to ready this project for some long distance winter towing in the next few weeks. Stay tuned....

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Project: "Don't do this at home" (update)
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »
We drove "Patch" from Nebraska to Wisconsin  to visit the kids

What part?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

Re: Project: "Don't do this at home" (Story time)
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 12:27:52 PM »
The kids live just outside Baraboo and Wis Dells.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
You have been quiet but it is that time.

Love the "new old parts",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Congrads on the new grandbaby, whenever and whatever!!!!!!!!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
The kids live just outside Baraboo and Wis Dells.

Small world I guess, I also drove through both on the way to holiday festivities.

OldKooT

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »
Looks like we are going back up to Wis the last weekend in Jan. If I can get the trailer in shape...... My featherlight has some brake issues I suspect may require some ordering parts...that's never a pleasant experience. Worse case deal, I imagine I could just take the goose neck, but I really don't want to do that.

I should be in the shed working....but my wife felt it was a good day to change some light fixtures

OldKooT

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 08:13:02 PM »
Well....not much to add really. But let me say, sometimes I dislike winter.

We have been under a blizzard warning since yesterday around noon or so. The NOAA folks got it correct this time, it's been dumping heavy wet nasty snow since 2am. Combine that with 50mph gusts and yes you can drift snow that's so heavy it sticks to the side of buildings and accumulates on the buildings walls.

We fired up Patch at 4am and by 5am we had pushed enough snow to escape the driveway and head down the gravel road to pavement. I dropped my wife at work so she could support the community in what she does, and headed home.  I got about a mile and my wife called and said the hospital needed help clearing snow they couldn't keep ahead of it. I won't bore you with details but ole Patch plowed snow from 6am tell 6pm without missing a beat. In fact, Patch is still idling in the machine shed awaiting round two. (It was so packed with snow underneath the weight has the 10ply tires bagging.

Wal Mart is closed, the truck stops are packed full of stranded travelers... I 80 has been closed now for 12 hours or so everywhere West of Lincoln.... and they have given up with the plows as the winds are relentlessly hammering the roads closed as fast as one can open them out on the prairie.

Despite zero visibility and nasty drifting snow my wife is determined to take food n assorted supplies out to the I80 interchange to the stranded travelers stuck at Walmart and other parking lots. So I guess we will go test how well her fancy Power Wagon handles in deep snow. This should be amusing......

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:13 PM »
Seriously, I hope YOU TWO are staying safe!

I know you like to kid around a lot, but no joke, you could get so covered up and lost in that snow. I couldn't pull you out with a Chinook.

You two be careful...and thanks for helping out your neighbors!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »
Good job Norm.  Question:  Whom do you call if you get stuck?

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 09:45:10 PM »
now we know why you've been absent the last week or so. glad to hear all is as well as it could be. be safe out there. get in touch when you dig everyone out and the global warming kicks in to melt that mess away.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 11:12:03 PM »
Norm you and your wife are awesome. I truly admire you two for the way you live and seem to help others. I haven't had any opportunities to help snow stranded folks in a few years, and even then it was only a out and back to pickup my friend and her mom off i75 when Atlanta shutdown because of some snow ice stuff they can't handle.

Thanks for being genuinely good folks. And be safe out there.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 01:55:19 AM »
Times like that is when you see who the real people are. Helping because you can, not because you have to.

Keep safe and stay a little warm at least.

We had a touch of snow in the Blue Ridge foothills here but it didn't stay.

Oh, a VE followed me home tonight, couldn't help myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 07:45:39 AM »
I follow a bunch of NE stuff on FB with my family still being there.   It said last night they pulled the plows and told the state police to find shelter.  Stay safe man.

OldKooT

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
All is well here unless you count some very sore eyes from the snow. No clue yet what the snow total was, but it was "enough" to make a large mess. My wife's Power Wagon proved it's not at all shabby in the snow...we chained it up on all 4 corners and it spent most of the night getting the snot beat out of it. At one point we had 11 people in it hauling them to shelter in town. The roads are littered with stuck cars/4x4/and in one case an end loader LoL We needed the winch 20+ times and I have to say that big Warn is worth having. That winch kept us moving all night... So were the frt n rear lockers and that Hemi... they all got a workout. At one point my wife was driving and we were in some hood deep snow on the road and she yells "Seems like 6000rpm in over drive is the hot ticket"

5-am we got back in Patch and started plowing snow...we punched out most of our stuff roughly and then jumped in the end loader and cleaned up the rest.

Listening to the scanner they still have I80 closed and have resorted to checking vehicles for occupants and welfare and then punting them off the road with the plows to clear it. Most East west roads here are closed but they are getting them blown/plowed open and should have people moving by dark I'd think.

If I wasn't so tired I'd go up to the rail line and watch the Burlington snow blow monster drifts off their tracks. That's always fun to watch...they hook 5 or 6 engines in a line put the blower unit on the front and ram it through.

I am going to take a short nap and then get back to plowing, I have another 20 hours left I'd wager before all our stuff is clear. Sounds like my wife and the girls are going to take the power wagon and one of the skid loaders over to my Moms and dig her out...not that she needs to go anywhere anyway LoL

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 04:52:42 PM »
good to hear y'all are ok out there. Hope the weather holds off for you and doesn't dump another foot or two any time soon. from what it sounds like, it's similar to survival/search and rescue after a hurricane down here in the south. clearing trees, crossing flooded areas to get to ppl. (except it's not however far below freezing it is there. hahah)

having an old cummins plow and front end loader never hurt anybody either.. lol

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »
Buddy of mine was shut down east of Lincoln for last day or so. I-80 is now open & he's rolling on west....

OldKooT

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »
A few snapshots....

The N side of the front yard.

The driveway...pretty if you don't have to plow it...

I punches a hole through this with the end loader this afternoon...this is the road to town for us. Notice one of the twins Boyfriends 4x4 on 35" rubber planted there. We had to rescue him and her last night...

Shot out the pass window of the driveway

This afternoon late...headed home, this is a state Hwy

to be continued.....

OldKooT

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »

Headed out of town this evening...roads are open now but a mess.

This shot was taken yesterday taking my wife to work... good ole Nebraska visibility.

I80 is open as was mentioned, I heard a lot of exits are still closed, and most the smaller East/West state roads are still shut down. They have blowers and plows out tonight so by morning most should be passable. Those of us not on a main road...we get to fend for ourselves for a few days yet LoL

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 09:23:49 PM »
Holy cow...

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »
Holy crap!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 09:49:11 PM »
Does.....not.....compute......for Texans......

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 10:10:55 PM »
Looks like fun!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Project: "Don't do this at home" (Story time)
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »
Never seen snow that bad that I remember. That is impressive. My mom has pictures of the house we lived in for a few years in blue hill with drifts up the to the roof. Other than those pictures, never seen snow that could easily swallow a pickup.

Like you said, sure is neat.... If you don't have to plow it.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:09:56 AM by wyorunner »

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 12:58:49 PM »
Oh hell NO !!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »
I'm with you Ken. I've gone through that on purpose wheeling, but then I drove down the mountain and went home where it was bare and wet. To have to deal with THAT on a daily basis, I think would force me to rethink my geography. I did actually laugh out loud to miss Kaye's comment at the hood deep snow; that is kinda what I expected to hear from her.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:38:19 PM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
I'm guessing we'll be seeing "Norm & Miss Kay's Snow Cave Build" starting soon- eer, correction "Snow HOUSE" build- that's a load of snow, cold and WORK!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 06:37:23 PM »
Snow is a great insulator!!!

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »
PATCH IS BACK!!!   Ok it never really went anywhere far LoL. Patch has been putzing along rather well for some time now. But the winters abuse has taken it's toll. My beloved friend, companion, and reliable old truck has become my worst enemy, and conspires to persecute me every time I start it. Kay says I most likely upset Patch by abusing him like a rented mule in a horse race...I dunno but anyway its time to do something.

The "should be fixed list" is as follows.
The transfer case it hatched.
The front Dana 60 "wobbles" everywhere.
The front springs have sagged so profusely one has almost wore a hole through the main leaf from the second leaf. There is no rust near the front shocks, because the shock oil has been keeping things rust proofed as well.
 Last week the headliner fell down while I was trying to go through the banks drive through teller.
And to top it off yesterday, in a act of sheer defiance the tailgate fell off while exiting the farm stores driveway, slid across three lanes of traffic and landed at the foot of a redbox machine at the Walgreen's. *I rented the Hateful eight, not a bad flick.

That's the short list.....

So it's time I either fix all these little issues properly, or sell Patch to someone that wants a Dodge project truck and move along to something different. Given the general almost rust free status, the dumb truck is worth more that one might imagine on the local market.

I am a bit angry with the truck ATM... the sad state of some of it I take responsibility for...but it tossing it's tailgate off and it launching it half a city block to the amusement of all who saw (my wife called asking about the episode before I had the gate loaded into the truck and the movie rented..) Time something changes rapidly.

So.....either I do a Don inspired oil change and fluid renovation, or I park it out back for a few years as a punishment I am not yet sure....but it's time to make a change. I have given myself until lunch to decide.... stay tuned.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2016, 10:57:10 AM »
Well, I can't believe you don't have a spare 205 and dana 60 just sitting somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Did they think you where think to rob the place all covered up like that?

Do all 4 wheels turn, whats the problem, its a farm truck.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »
I have plenty of front axles/cases...but it needs far more than that to remain reliable. It's basically just showing it's age like most trucks that vintage.

I have decided, I think I will park it in a machine shed and assemble the next farm beater from pieces laying around. I have a frame, a usable cab and a bed laying around...so I may just toss it all together and build a truck with cast off pieces that will be basically new, ugly, but new underneath.

I had hoped it would hold together until the crew was done so I could just use the crew for some of this summers planned road trips with a trailer...but looks like that's not going to happen so...I guess time to punt.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »
Hmm, sounds like some of us old farts running around,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:41:04 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
is it too early to start asking for parts..? I'll take the trans. hahaha

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2016, 04:34:26 PM »
is it too early to start asking for parts..? I'll take the trans. hahaha

Lol,  I was thinking the same thing except I kind of wanted the whole truck!  I need another donor anyways. Sure wish I had more useful thugs to post!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal