VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

SquareD Part 2 Here's where we depart the rebuild and start the big change

<< < (2/94) > >>

Flyin6:
The concept was to get all these boxes into the trash so I could enjoy a couple weeks of jap maple leaves before the ice age commeth

Wasn't to happen, but I pulled the boxes thinking...

Flyin6:
The new wheel cylinders were rust-o-matic gray iron, so I gave em' a coat of J Deere's finest!

Flyin6:
They look new don't they?

Well, that's because they are!

Here's where it got interesting.

You see those wheel cylinders are not all that is necessary to connect those hydraulic cylinders to the brake shoe.
Nope, it tales a piston "strut" sticking out fo either end to get that done.

Funny thing is mine went into the bowels of the great white and green garbage truck! Sill me, I was thinking the parts kit to replace EVERYTHING hardware related contained these pieces of hardware. I guess something in their nature precludes them from hardware status LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE in the kit...So bottom line is I was suddenly short (Litterally) 4 strut pieces/parts.

I soon found out that these little cylinder lookin things with a slot in the end are not carried in any parts store. Neither can they even reference them. It's as if all that were ever needed were already built and there is no possibility that they could ever possibly rust of corrode in the ultra
clean environment of a brake drum!

Not to be defeated so easily, I ordered 4 which an on the ball parts guy was able to conjure up some spirits of great mechanics and parts guys past and locate 4 of the things. Get this, all four are coming in from 4 different states!

Anyway I bolted in the parking brake lever.
It's probably in backwards, I'll figure that out when somehow nothing else fits right!
But I have this to help me along again!

Flyin6:
It's real, it's old, and it still works, kinda like me, not so much Duane, but me for sure!

First I replaced the front pinion seal...Should have done this when I had it apart, but that would have been too easy...Made too much sense!

Flyin6:
10 min job. all that mess got cleaned sanded smooth and put back together with precision hammer blows!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version