VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

2021 Ram 3500 Crewcab

(1/15) > >>

Dustoff35:
Back in June of 2021, I drove my 2018 Tundra from Northern Kentucky to Green Bay Wisconsin to pick up a new Ram 3500.  Prior to that, I conducted some deep-dive research on towing capacities, GVWR, tongue weight, payload and other towing considerations.  Although the Tundra was an excellent truck it just wasn't an ideal vehicle for towing a loaded 25 foot toy hauler across the country and into the mountains.

Dustoff35:
It was a pleasant drive home, learning how to use all of the features and enjoying the best audio system I have had the pleasure of owning. I was surprised at the fuel economy indicated, so I made a mental note to verify accuracy of the on-board system.

Dustoff35:
One of the primary duties of this truck will be towing. With that in mind, I bought a good receiver hitch. This hitch can tow by pintle, 2 inch ball and 2-5/16 inch ball and is adjustable to seven different heights for any trailer configuration.

Dustoff35:
We put it to use right away, picking up several pallets of retaining wall block.

Dustoff35:
When my family and I go west for summer vacations, we always bring a lot of gear. Mountain bikes, kayaks, paddle boards, backpacks, tents and as much food as we can haul. Now that we had a 3500 with substantial payload capability, we could safely load up the truck as well as the toy hauler. In the past, due to payload limitations, the toy hauler would be packed full and the truck bed would be almost empty so as to not exceed payload capacity. So often you will see a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck with a full bed, cab loaded with pax and a trailer with 800-1000lbs of tongue weight. Many pickup owners are unaware of payload capacity and exceed it, placing their family and others at risk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version