VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

Don's 2024 Ram 3500

(1/24) > >>

Flyin6:
I began ownership of a new Ram dually truck today.

I had to trade in my 2022 Ram 3500 because that single rear-wheel 6.5' bed vehicle was unable to carry the truck camper I had just purchased.

I learned a hard lesson here. The single-wheel Ram had a payload of 4027 listed clearly in the driver's door jamb. I. however looked up some statistics online at the Ram truck site and made the camper purchase using the Ram website numbers.

The website numbers turned out to be very enthusiastic and the actual truck number was nearly 1,000 lbs. less

I found this out Friday night and so Saturday morning I had a candid discussion with my wife. I explained my mistake and showed her the numbers. I only had 16 pounds available weight to carry black and gray water, food, drinks, clothes, dishes, knives and forks, a toolbox, chairs, a table, and on and on. I explained that we had two choices. First would be to just do it illegally and hope for the best. The downside of that is should I be involved in an accident and anyone did the math, I would be shown to be negligent, perhaps grossly negligent. That would preclude the insurance from paying and could open me up to litigation if anyone else suffered harm. But it was a choice.

Door number two was to just can the truck and go buy a dually. I did not want to do that.

We decided for several reasons to bite the bullet and purchase the Dually and here it is in all it's newness and splendor.

Flyin6:
This one is a 2024 Ram Heavy Duty 3500 Dually

It is a Big Horn with fewer options than I had in my older Laramie.

This one, however, has the HO engine with 1050 ft/lbs of torque, an AISIN transmission, 4-wheel drive with 4.10 gears and a huge 50-gallon fuel tank.

It also has dual alternators for 440amp potential.

Niceties are the big 12" screen, CarPlay, Alpine stereo, a bed liner, folding step under the bumper and a Mopar fifth wheel hitch.

The available payload on this one is almost 5,000 pounds

Flyin6:
It is the blacked out midnight edition

Flyin6:
I'm not a big fan for the looks of the thing, at least not yet. I needed a HD truck and I bought it for that reason. The color is not my favorite, and the black wheels do nothing for me. But it can carry everything I have and want and the towing is ridiculous...something over 30,000 lbs.

Flyin6:
It also has that cool panoramic camera view for handling big trailers and fifth wheels. Finally there is some sort of trailer backing technology built in too. Cameras are everywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version