VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

SquareD Build Thread, Part 1: The beginning

(1/106) > >>

Flyin6:
Why Square D you ask?

Because this build is an ancient square fender Dodge, so Square D

Many of you are very familiar with this build or transformation or whatever it is, but to some of you this is new

Inceptually, this Dodge truck purchase was made to augument the Chevy truck and to cover for an extended period of time while the Silverado received a solid front axle. I thought I would replace the rubber, change fluids, clean it up and after maybe a month of replacing and fixing things, place it into service.

But just so many things were out of whack that as I dug deeper into it, I realized I could not resurrect a half baked thrown together truck, or just bring it down and redo it.

The redo part grew over time to the point most of the body was removed from the frame and all the suspension was completely modified and reinstalled onto a freshened up frame.

Somewhere along the way, I realized that in extremis, should the US come under nuclear attack, and I actually survived that, the EMP would render the Duramax inoperative for the rest of my life. But this ancient old Dodge would crank up immediately and never realize what just happened...It has no electronics to speak of.

Thinking and swallowing hard because of all the effort spent on the Chevy it had an Achilles heel, it's mind boggling web of electronics! It would always be the weak sister to a much older design.

I plan to correct that some day with the addition of a 12 valve Cummins engine installation and old school transmission to make it concrete proof useable forever.

But for now, SquareD is evolving to be a first rate survival vehicle that you could drive every day, has loads of power, sips (Any) fuel, and has abilities not seen outside the Army or Marine Corps.

With that all said, let's get on to the actual build which started in the summer of 2012

Flyin6:
OK boys and girls, let's get this thing started

For those who follow my LML build thread

Titled

"My build thread"

You already know where this thing is going. It will get very detailed, and get derailed, then back on track and who knows where.
Having said that, this is what I would like to do here:
I plan to build this Dodge truck to be an EMP proof, survival truck.
What exactly does that mean, Survival truck?
Well, it always needs to start.
It needs to be multi-fuel capable
Readily available spare parts
Reliable
Able to carry heavy loads and tow a trailer
Have a range of about 1000 miles, maybe more
Be all terrain capable as well as capable of a long day of highway driving.

It will be the backup vehicle to the LML survival truck I built as any good survival plan has many layers, each providing it's own capabilities

Before we write a book in the first post, here's a picture of it the moment I purchased it:

Flyin6:

Another view

Flyin6:
It has 171,000 miles and starts right up and runs great.
The steering is shot, as is the exhaust. A brake caliper is grabbing and the shocks are nearly rusted in half
The frame is solid, the truck was Ziebart protected when new and shows it. I can find no severe rust other than the surface stuff.
Apparently it has seen some combat, since it sports this nifty area denoting it's various kills

Flyin6:
The front bumper thing was apparently removed from a B&O locomotive or from the set of "Mad Max, Beyond the Thunderdome
It will be going bye bye...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version