VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

SquareD Build Thread, Part 1: The beginning

<< < (2/106) > >>

Flyin6:
The theme I am going to use is simple. I mean to keep it simple.
You see I really believe "Less is more."
Therefore, expect no bling, little over-the-top, and certainly no techy anything.
Tires you ask?? Well just a set of 33" all terrain or mud terrains on some simple serviceable wheel.
Brakes: Stock, but rebuilt with good pads
Paint? Probably back to stock
Engine: Sane. Will build around little to no smoke, 400HP 20+MPG and dead reliability.
Speaking of engines:

Flyin6:
This is the first year Dodge intercooled the Cummins. It has a way too small turbo which I will replace, an inferior VE injection pump, which I will keep and perfect.
The interior will get a super cleaning, seat replaced, and probably color changed to black.
I will likely just put a new rubber floor matt back in after I spray the inside with sound deadening lizard skin

Flyin6:
It doesn't have a tach, so I'll have to do something about that...
So, here's point zero before the first wrench is turned on what I hope to be an amazing transformation
I hereby name this project "Square D" (for square Dodge)

Flyin6:
So, although it's early in this build here's how this thing is shaping up:

First, it is unsafe to drive, so all of that is getting fixed at Roy's shop before I take it home.
That includes
Borgensen steering shaft
Replace all tie rods
Replace the rubber brake lines
Replace the calipers/rotors/brakes
Fix the transfer case output wobble
Top off fluids
pull the hubs, and repack all front wheel bearings, clean everything and reassemble
Install 4 new tires and wheels, 17 X 9 and 33"-12.50/R17 tires

Then drive it to my house
Then
Replace all fluids
Replace all rubber hoses, belts and lines under the hood
Remove that hideous bumper
Remove all lights, switches, wires, relays and everything that dodge didn't put on there
Do a massive cleaning/pressure washing, steaming/chem soak to get it clean
Remove the interior and clean and replace
Do something with the suspension
It needs 4 springs and 4 shocks
Then...???

The thing is, I need all of that done before I cut the D-Max apart because this truck is actually going to be my transportation while I build the 2011 truck...

Flyin6:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
That's cool a first generation cummins.

I think I found it at the last possible time in it's life to save it

It had been more or less abandoned by its owner and was sitting outside under a bunch of trees. It was getting rustier and started to leak water into the cab. The steering was all but gone. My money says it was about to be parted out for the Dana 60, Dana 70 and the Cummins 6bt instead of just fixing it.
I feel that by taking a sane approach and just rebuilding most things and upgrading the quirky stuff, I'll have an enormously capable truck that is actually a survivor truck. If I chose, it would fetch every penny I invested in it with no problem at all
But it needs immediate action, so it's getting it right now!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version