Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door  (Read 115399 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door
« Reply #750 on: August 12, 2018, 10:44:57 PM »
^^^ That was a verifiable Ash sighting right there!

Yippee!

It was and he almost became bear food twice, Charles you hearing this? Texans don’t belong up north in bear country, they quickly become bear snacks!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

OldKooT

« Reply #751 on: August 12, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »
Glad to see you got the shaft man. I kinda forgot you made those 14bolt girdles. Might have to try some at some point.

LoL @ weight conscious....Your just worried my M37 will be lighter :grin:

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 12, 2018, 11:41:24 PM »
Not that worried, those m37’s are pigs too

OldKooT

« Reply #753 on: August 12, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »
I will be interested what yrs weighs when done. I am going to be under 5000lbs I am quite confident. BTW 5 hours 20 min from Mc Donald's to my place.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:28 AM »
Sounds like a challenge Shawn. I have a few things for bear.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

OldKooT

« Reply #755 on: August 13, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »
Nah no challenge, He is sorta stuck to a degree with Jeeps design. Add a cage/bumpers/big tires, heavy axles Jeeps just get portly.

The M37 is 5,687lbs  according to the US Military. This is a "air drop" weight figure. That's with full fluids,combat ready. So, hardly lightweight.

Toss out the troop seats, the brackets for them. The canvas rear "top", the hoops/supports you have already dropped close to 325lbs.

The combat wheels/tires/tubes weigh 225lbs a piece. Likely can drop some weight here also.

The radiator is 180lbs of brass. the wiring weighs exactly (72 lbs total)  I have a new OEM harness in the box. That doesn't include the 35lbs of regulator,turn signal, and assorted other hefty 1950's mil excess. The light switch weighs 4.8lbs.

The real deal weight dropping will be in the frame/bed. The M37 frame is heavy enough bare I can't easily lift one end. The Bronco/F150 frame I can lift and move around.

The bed is almost dead on 1000lbs. It's a hefty built piece. I can build the same shape/size in aluminum for a huge weight savings. I don't need a 1/8 thick steel floor/side skins to haul a cooler, tent, tools, and what ever else accumulates back there.

I doubt a Aluminum head Big Block Ford/C6 weighs any more than the OEW Chrysler flat head/T19 combo.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Front Dana 60 I use with one of the GLO covers is any heavier than that OEM M37 closed knuckle axle with brake drums that are 125lbs a piece. It's likely lighter.

I could be totally wrong, but I have put some thought into this....I think 4500 ready to drive/wheel is possible.

I am probably lighter than Shawn, being a midget old man and all.  LoL

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 13, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
OK, so I forgot how squirrely a jeep with a manual trans and a rear mechanical locker can be! LOL, I also had to take back something I told Tate and order a set of lockouts. That front 60 with detroit is going to need lockouts versus drive slugs. I'm itching for the larger tires but it's nice to have the jeep in the correct rpm range after each shift too.

Other than the drivers side e-brake being adjusted a little too tight the break in went well this morning. No issues and after several runs and around 25 miles the noisey e-brake loosened up enough to be quit once more. All is well on the jk front....

As far as Norm and weights I won't get into an arguement with him but I bet he can tell me how much his high school sweet heart weighed..... :popcorn: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 22, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »
Back on to the welding on the 60 front, as of late this afternoon 90% is welded. I ground out one crappy housing weld then rewelded it after the preheat process. Welded it and hit it with the air needler and then did a post heat finally covering it and a couple other new welds into the cast. All brackets with the exception of a the passengers side lower control arm are welded on in some fashion. I made a new passengers side lower inner C fixture as I need to remove the original passengers side fixture under the tube in order to get that control arm mount in place. I wanted the rest of the welding complete before I removed that though. Tomorrow I should get the last of it welded and that mount in place. I'll let it cool overnight tomorrow too and then pull it from the fixture and flip it half around and upside down to do the last few welds I cannot get at without standing on my head currently. At this point I really doubt it will move at all anyhow.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:51:20 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 22, 2018, 05:49:51 PM »
And yes it’s about time. I have the new tires and the inserts for the border patrol wheel due into me by weeks end. So things are progressing quicker now. The last of the parts for this front axle were ordered this week other than brakes and adjustable upper control arms which I will need to get the alignment close once I install this beast.

GLO also landed a job building two axles for a custom defender 90. It’s going to essentially be an EB setup under a European frame and body. The front axle is a built narrowed HP Dana 60 kingpin axle and the rear is a built 9” both are stock width early bronco with the 5 on 5.5 wheel mounts. So I need my table back for those builds as well.

OldKooT

« Reply #759 on: August 23, 2018, 07:23:11 AM »
You might get that thing under the Jeep yet by Sept. Looking good so far....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 23, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »
Shawn is the hexagonal piece a spring perch?

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 23, 2018, 08:45:08 AM »
You might get that thing under the Jeep yet by Sept. Looking good so far....

We'll see, not holding my breath at the moment. GLO is getting busy and I have an xj driving daughter who has a list. Bottom line this finally took some precedence as I need my bench.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:49:16 AM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 23, 2018, 08:45:57 AM »
Shawn is the hexagonal piece a spring perch?

correct, lower coil spring mount.

in bottom pic you have that lower coil spring mount then you have the lower sway bar mount just in front of that and then to the right is the track bar axle mount. On the other side out of view (I'll get other pics today) is the shock mount which sits directly above the lower control arm axle mount.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:48:05 AM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 23, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »
S-That is just outstanding work, really nice!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 23, 2018, 10:41:32 AM »
S-That is just outstanding work, really nice!

Thank you!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #765 on: August 23, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »
It does look great, nice clean welds.

It also looks so busy. Could some of that be combined to clean it up or is that just how it is?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 23, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »
JR, I think it needs a diet myself. Much of it is overkill, could easily drop 30# & be just as strong imo.

Which brings up weight again & I'm conscious of it as is Norm..... :tongue: so we have two types of weight really. Unsprung & gvw.

In layman’s terms gvw is important for running obstacles, highway mpg and the beating this little pig of a motor takes.

Unsprung comes into play when you’re looking again at the abuse this pig takes spinning the wheels, going over obstacles & fuel mileage. The one thing most don’t think about is tire balance, using these beadlock wheels & balancing beads with 38.5 10 ply tires can be an issue at highway speed. Those tires sidewalls are not going to want to give much. If they don’t give then it’s possible on light jeeps at highway speed to have issues due to uplift (think that’s a pilut term) & without give in the tires the beads can’t find their perfect pocket for balance.

So then having a certain amount of spring and unsprung weight will be helpful especially on the front end.

Yeah, it’s a balancing act.....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 01:29:06 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 23, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
I understand it is a balance. I am no expert but when people talk lifts, tire size and such they leave out how much your suspension is really in the tire itself.

Big tires and small wheels are great for off road, but not so for drivability on the highway. 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 23, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 23, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »
JR, sidewalls matter in more ways than one definitely!  :tongue: lol

OldKooT

« Reply #770 on: August 23, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »
When you mount the tires inflate them to max psi. Let them sit a few hours in the sun. Then when you put the wheels on deflate to say 15lbs and drive them around local. After a few miles of turns in your neighbor hood, rotate and repeat. Then air up and go for a drive.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 23, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
Well, here it is out of the fixture.

So when I released the passenger side inner c lower mount it moved up 80 thousandths or so. Not a big deal as I could have had it fixtured in that amount of flex across the whole length or it pulled that much welding. Not sure but I would guess some is to be expected, if it was 1/4” or more I might be concerned.

So the other thing...

On the drivers side lower control arm mount there is no keyed slot like much of this truss. Do not weld it solid until you take adequate measurements to see that it is located in relation to the bottom of the coil buckets the same as the passenger side. Mine was 3/4” off & passengers side was keyed fit so I know it would have been correct. I had one solid weld which I cut and then several tack welds that had to be cut. Doing this with the axle flipped over is much easier btw.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:20:56 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 23, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
When you mount the tires inflate them to max psi. Let them sit a few hours in the sun. Then when you put the wheels on deflate to say 15lbs and drive them around local. After a few miles of turns in your neighbor hood, rotate and repeat. Then air up and go for a drive.

So in other words work those stuff sidewalls in real good first?

So next up is to grind / sand down all keyed welded areas and clean up any spatter and or left over grease with wire wheel. Then primer this pig.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 23, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »
Looks good bud.

you doing the Defender axles at home? Pretty soon you'll need a shop! (I know were one might be for sale, but it's a bit warmer climate :) )
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 23, 2018, 05:58:15 PM »
Thanks Ken, yeah my third bay is my shop...

I have 4 axle housings in it right now & two others in my storage shed.  :rolleyes:

The wife and I are looking for an investment property just not that far south! Oh & I hear your radio ad every morning here on the 92.5 country station out of Denver, Ken’s Auto for reliable auto repair!! Lol, drumming up business before your next move?

Nice, respectable looking place..... :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:19:55 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 23, 2018, 10:07:29 PM »
Nice, respectable looking place..... :popcorn:
Could've been me, up til the last sentence. lol

I didn't realize how many were around until after I got my business license, and googled it.... most people probably research first, but not me. Definitely unoriginal on my part.

OldKooT

« Reply #776 on: August 24, 2018, 07:39:01 AM »
A few heat cycles, some assorted scrubbing and twisting turning corners with that rear locker and you'll work those beads evenly onto the wheels. Few more heat cycles and inflation should have you ready to then have them balanced.

Balancing a tire when you first mount them is just not effective. I use the above basic procedure even on the Mustangs expensive Bridgestone RE71's  They have run 170+mph with zero balance weights smooth as silk. Those tires you saw on Boozer have never been balanced either.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 24, 2018, 07:42:25 AM »
So you’re saying I don’t need to balance the tires?  :huh:  I’ve never heard that before, like ever.

I purchased 8oz beads to throw in each carcass when bolting up the wheels (prior to pvc inserts).

OldKooT

« Reply #778 on: August 24, 2018, 08:02:12 AM »
I am saying with your tire of choice, the delightful fun mounting tires on those wheels can be, I'd wait to balance until you've cycled them a little bit. I am sure they will need some weight/beads/priest attention.

The above said... if you had any idea how horribly "off" many balancer's are on their calibration, you would find the entire process in a different light. Some shops are more attentive to this than others....bottom line just put some miles on them first at assorted pressures, heat cycle them a few times, and balance.

Those Generals on Boozer spend most their life with stones stuck in the tread. Some fairly large...between them running smooth on my test runs and the stones issue, I just never bothered to balance them. They spend a fair amount of time at 80+mph and are smooth as silk.

On the Mustang.... RE71's are 200 tread-ware cheater tires. They are stiff sidewalled, soft tread, wear like butter and are her "drive it to the track and play tires. Since they basically shed rubber I never balance them...haven't the last half dozen sets.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 24, 2018, 08:37:52 AM »
Copy, treat the tires like a red headed step child and all should be well in the world!

And what’s the big deal about these wheels and mounting tires? I know a lot of guys have issues with h1 wheels too but in my experience nothing a bunch of axle grease didn’t cure....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:02:45 AM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: August 24, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
Ok, so this morning after a final weld inspection I decided on welding it in a couple more spots including two welds into the casting. That’s it for welding I promise.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 24, 2018, 12:35:06 PM »
Then these showed up Interco TRXUS MT 38.5x14.5R16 Radials X 5

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:44:04 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 24, 2018, 12:50:08 PM »
In case you’re wondering. I have a set of steel low profile fenders in a box behind the lathe. The front bumper is getting ditched and I’m going to take that 1/4” formed winch tray and modify it to sit low between the frame rails. It will be a very minimalist approach to a front stub bumper. The stock running boards have to go in favor of home brew rock sliders (with step for HH6, all 5 foot of her). Buying the 1” spacer for front end coils to actually level the Jeep up correctly. I may need to trim rear bumper as well on corners to make these fit.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 24, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »
You have your work cut out for you. I like the tires.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 24, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »
You have your work cut out for you. I like the tires.

I won’t comment on the xj stuff we have going on but Baylee needs to do an update.....

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 24, 2018, 02:06:33 PM »
Then these showed up for the border patrol wheels.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 24, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »
We all like posts from Baylee!

I was looking at those locks. Aren't they made special for each tire, not generic for say a 16.5? A little pricey for pvc is recall?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 24, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 24, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »
We all like posts from Baylee!

I was looking at those locks. Aren't they made special for each tire, not generic for say a 16.5? A little pricey for pvc is recall?

Baylee will appreciate hearing that as she’s home with strep & mono right now running a fever.

The PVC came from trail worthy fab, $50 each

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 24, 2018, 02:35:10 PM »
First, all the best to Baylee. Prayers sent.

50 is not as bad as I thought. I paid the same for the "soft" locks that I have.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 24, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »
When all is said and done I should end up with around $170ish per wheel. I had bought four from one guy and three from Norms buddy. Two of the four I bought from the one guy someone had opened them up with a die grinder to fit 70 hubs on a rear axle. So I will sell those as single for guys looking for spares to recoup some funds and leave me with five good wheels. That’s the plan anyhow.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 24, 2018, 05:57:27 PM »
Lotza changes are ah-comin'

Likin' it
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 24, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »
Lots of progress. Like it very much

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 24, 2018, 09:41:23 PM »
Thanks guys, if tomorrow goes as planned front bumper is taking a hike....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:43:51 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 24, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
Blue pvc?

They run out of pink,  Mr. Hippy?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: August 24, 2018, 11:02:43 PM »
I wanna see you lift one of those up to a spare tire rack!!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 24, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
Blue pvc?

They run out of pink,  Mr. Hippy?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Andy at trail worthy quoted me $75 each then charged me $50 each so I wasn’t about to complain!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 24, 2018, 11:11:19 PM »
I wanna see you lift one of those up to a spare tire rack!!

I’ll snap a picture in the morrow. My rear tire carrier is already all welded up except for the part where the wheel mounts (wanted to have the tire and wheel here for mock up) & it folds down. Ergonomically designed for guys who are getting too old for that sh*t! I will be able to easily roll it up into the tire carrier as it will be around 12-16 inches off the ground. Then bolt it on and swing carrier up into traveling position. It’s also held in place with two 5/8 inch pins so no chance of a highway accident like Phil had.......  :likebutton:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 24, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »
Phill needs to fill us in on the back story of this?  Who is phill?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 25, 2018, 12:23:02 AM »
the ramcharger
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal