PERSONAL READINESS > Bug-Out Bag and Camping gear

Footwear

(1/13) > >>

BobbyB:
Here is the footwear thread. Everyone has their own taste and experience is footwear. So let's share here and who knows, your info might help someone find and use some new footwear.

Manufacturer:
Model # or Name:
Price:
Specs:
How you use it:
Pros:
Cons:

Flyin6:
Well, OK
I have some favorites
First of all if you're just knockin around the Armee Bellville's aren't all that skimpy. I retasked mine for bike riding

My favorite for all around wear, but admittedly, I mostly used them flying and over in the Stan were the Oakley boots. Love them, absolutely love them.

The 5.11 boots were almost like running shoes with a 10" top and a lot of padding. For any kind of survival boot, I really like the tall top and not the hiking height boot. I figure a twisted or broken ankle will kill you a bit slower than a bullet, but the end result is the same.

There are some specialty boots also such as the Adidas GS-G9. They had soles of many columns of squeak-free rubber. As can't make them squeak. Obviously made for sneakin' up on things like folks, they featured a soft leather 8" or 10" upper. I wore a set of black ones for a time back in "those" days.

Then the Magnum series of boots were a poor man's version of the GS-G9's which may not be for public consumption, dunno. Our law enforcement community seems to have gone for the magnums in force for a couple decades now.

Cold and wet?? One boot I always had was a good set of Danners. I'd coat them all up with snow seal and heat them in an oven @ 150 degrees for 30-45 min to cook it in, then follow with another coating after my first deployment. Featuring vibram soles which were easily replaceable, I'd have my ole' shoe smith glue and screw on a new set when I was down to 50% anywhere on the boot

Nate:
I am not sure where to start with this, so lets see how this turns out.  bobby, I apologies, hopefully this is not hijacking your thread?

being in the military for almost 20 years (way less than don) and having to spend more time on the ground then on or in vehicles, I have learned a few things about footwear.  Now this is not to say that I am an expert in the matter, but more of voicing my observations.  Bobby and HC were total ground pounders and will most likely have info they can share in this matter.  here is a list of things that you need to think about when selecting footwear for whatever.

- are you going to be in a dry place, wet place or a combo of both
- what season are you using these in
- what is the terrain like (rocky, sandy, forest, etc)
- what is the condition that your feet (dogs) are in
- what are your ankles like
- do your feet sweat a lot

these are just a few major questions that you need to have an answer for when selecting your footwear, so lets take a look at just how important these questions are and why they matter.

moisture level of your environment:

this is very important, because if there is even a chance that you will be in a wet or combo environment you need to have foot gear that has some sort of drain holes.  drain holes are important because they will allow the excess moisture and water drain from the boot while you are still walking/wearing them.  Moisture in foot gear is a VERY BAD THING and can lead to major foot problems and make you combat ineffective. 

For dry areas you want a boot that has superior breathability, this will help dissipate the heat and moisture build up of your feet and foot gear while they are in use.

You also need to think about what kind of water repellant/proofer you are applying to your footgear as well.  Repellants will still allow the footgear to breath, where as proofing will not allow the footgear to breath and can cause moisture issues if your not careful. 

Season of use:

This is a big deal, because if you are using the wrong foot gear in the wrong season then you are doing nothing but creating major problems for yourself.  Example, don’t wear winter boots in the summer because your feet will sweat profusely and can cause trench foot, blisters, etc.  this goes just the same for wearing summer foot gear in winter conditions.  Instead of sweat, you will not have to deal with cold weather injuries to your feet.  so make sure you have the correct foot gear for the right season.

Terrain:

Terrain is important to know, because of the makeup and compounds of what the sole’s are made of.  Example: if you are going to be in rocky and or mountainous terrain then you are going to want a harder type sole as opposed to a softer sole.  The rocks will literally tear away soft type soles.  If you are going to be in softer terrain then you will want a bit of a softer sole.

You also need to think about the cleaning ability of the sole’s that are on your foot gear.  For example if you are going to be in softer type terrain and have a possibility of encountering mud then you are going to want a sole that will clean itself as you are walking instead of having a sole that will hold on to all that mud (same thing as the tires of your vehicle being able to clear and clear themselves as they are turning). 

Conditions of your feet and your ankles:

The condition of your feet must be taken seriously, because if you fail to take care of them then (lets be real) they will stop you in your tracks and you will be done for.  If you have falling arches then you need to look for footgear that have high arch supports or a good insert with arch support.  If you have athletes foot then you need to have some sort of powder, cream, spray, etc to not only cure it but to also prevent its return.  If you have nasty fungus ridden toe nails, you need to get you a good anti fungal pill (creams will not work on this).  Fungus ridden toe nails and boots that are way too small or tight will cause ingrown toe nails, so pay attention to how your footgear fit and how you are cutting your toe nails (believe it or not, there is a wrong way and a correct way to cut your toe nails, and this is a major factor in why ingrown toe nails happen in the first place).

Ankles are something that you need to take into consideration as well.  Regardless of whether or not you have good or bad ankles, you need to look at footgear that will cover your ankles.  Footgear that cover ankles really do 2 things.  they provide ankle support to prevent ankle injuries and if you happen to have an ankle injury then they will provide compression and prevent swelling and give further support for quicker healing.  Quick medical tip: if you roll an ankle or sprain it, keep the boot on and lace it just a little tighter.  This will as I stated above keep swelling down and provide further support. 

Sweating:

If you are like me and your feet sweat alot, then you need to make sure that you have several things to help combat this.  moisture in footgear can lead to many things like athletes foot, swamp foot, trench foot, blisters, overall stink, etc.  combating moisture in footgear can be accomplished in several different ways. 

- Use foot powder in your boots as well as your socks.  A little goes a long way.
- foot sprays are not as effective as powders but they do work to an extent
- socks.  Socks really serve 3 functions, they wick moisture away from your skin, provide cushioning, and they also provide compression for your shins and calf muscles.
- wearing a pair of calf length or even full length compression pantyhose will wick moisture away from your skin as well as add a thin layer of material to help prevent blisters
- last but not least, make sure you have the correct footgear for the correct season and environment.   

Material composition:

The material composition of what your footgear is made of is very important.  Leather is a great footgear material because it is durable, breathable, flame resistant (not proof), dries fast and can be treated for many different applications/environments.  Rubber material is durable to an extent, waterproof, limited to certain situations and will retain moisture inside.  Composite material footgear is known to be light weight, durable to an extent, water resistant, breathable, non flame resistant and cannot be treated for different applications. 
Heals

The last thing we need to cover here is “heals”.  No not high heals like women wear but the heal of your footgear and the heal of your foot.  the heal of you foot absorbs and dissipates hundreds of pounds of pressure with each step as well as the heal of your footgear.  It also provides the proper alignment of your foot and your instep as well as your achilles tendon.  So with that being said, you need to make sure that you have a good heal on your footgear.  Yes there some footgear out there that does not have a heal per say, but they are also designed for specific purposes and not a general use.

Nate:
The footgear that I like the best because of comfortability, variety of uses and ease of maintenance were the ones that were issued to me during basic training.  I have had several pairs over the years and actually am In need of a new pair (read puppy ate them).  These boots take a little working to get them to fit correctly, but once that happens these boots will give you years of blister free comfortable wear and use.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about for those that don’t know.   

Dustoff35:
Red Wing 401s and 435s are about all I wear for everyday use anymore.  They are extremely comfortable and wear well.  When I hunt, Red Wing Irish Setters.  When I was on active duty, I preferred Matterhorn boots with the replaceable vibram sole.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version