VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

Mud tire thread

(1/21) > >>

Flyin6:
Let's talk about mud tires for a moment.

There are lots of them out there. Let's focus on a tire that is driven on the highway, is subject to weight, as in tongue weight on a truck that is towing a trailer, but also sees off road forest trail to muddy track type occasional driving.

I am currently running the Toyo MT's on my Chebby in a 35 12.50/R18 fitment and with great success. I am 99% on road so far but have used the truck off road in places like my farm which has muddy sport, grassy slopes, and moss covered rocks. It seems to do very well with the Yukon Grizzly rear locker. The truck has never been stuck, needing a winch or other vehicle to pull me out.

Having said that. I have always liked the Yokahama MT's. And I notice they sell it in either a 27" or a 38" size that is begging to get bolted on my Chevy.

BobbyB:
Maybe I'll try them on XJ, well once I finish my wide scale purge on all the rust..

Bob Smith:
My son ran the Toyo tires on his Dodge and had very good luck with them. They did wear quicker than other tires but lots of traction. He worked a forest greens business so he was on steep, either heavy rocked, or deep heavy slick mud, logging roads both current use ones and very old single track almost every day through the fall and winter in rain, sleet, snow, mud, and ice. He pulled heavy trailers and hauled heavy with his pickup both in the woods and at 65 on the pavement getting product to the sheds.  He always said until they make a better tire he will stick with the Toyo's as they never let him down.

Sammconn:
My latest set I'm trying are Toyo M55's.
With the dirt road I run, my truck literally eats rear tires.

Having said that, they are standing up very well.
Had been running Terra Grapplers, and they were ok, but 25k  miles at best.

Like Don most of my time is highway, and same driving conditions,with the exception of the 200 mile dirt road(crushed shale), and I've been told I have a heavy foot. I'll get an accurate mileage on these, but I'm very happy with the durability so far.
They are 'OK' in the snow and ice, they're not a real winter tire, but do better than the Terra's in the snow. Seem to clear mud fairly well, and do well on hlsides etc as well.

I'm not sure how big they go with these however. I'm just running 265 75 16's.

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: BobbyB on February 26, 2015, 02:12:11 PM ---Maybe I'll try them on XJ, well once I finish my wide scale purge on all the rust..

--- End quote ---
I ran them on lighter trucks like my old Tundra with much success. on a jeep sized truck you'd like them if you have need of that much traction.
But for you snow bound guys, i'm not sure how well they run in deep snow...not much siping

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version