Hello Guest

Author Topic: Cooler that doesn't break the bank  (Read 11557 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cooler that doesn't break the bank
« on: June 25, 2016, 02:55:59 AM »
So you have the $20 48 quart coolers that are OK for a day, maybe more with lots of ice or a block.

Then you have the extreme cooler like Yeti, but cost several hundred bones!!

In the middle I guess are the marine coolers with some magic vapor instead of foam for insulation.

So beside dropping a huge amount of cash what works for you guys?

I would like something a little smaller than 48qt that I can throw a block of ice in and its good a week. Is that possible?? 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:26:27 PM by KensAuto »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cooler that doesn't breat the bank
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 08:00:43 AM »
Great question. A week? Probably not.

I just get the marine coolers from igloo. I can buy one a year and throw
It away and still not spent as much as a yeti in 10'years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:02:39 AM »
If you want the cooler to keep ice longer, put it in the shade wrapped with wet burlap- evaporation will help keep it cooler.  Freezing water in smaller milk jugs (big too) makes for a dryer cooler too and ice lasts longer.  I admit though, direct contact with my beverage cans is my preferred ice arrangement- if your hand aches reaching for it, ITS COLD!  :o
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:06:25 AM »
That blue igloo cooler is usually good for a whole weekend if I top it off with ice. Say, I depart on Friday afternoon topped off, by Sunday in the afternoon, I have enough cool water remaining to transport left overs back to my casa without them spoiling.

That cooler was a sub-$50 unit
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
A new brand is RTIC
Online only and their gimmick is half the price of yeti.    Seems like they can't make them quick enough because they are always out.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
so let me ask this JR,

exactly what are you wanting to use the cooler for and what is it that you are truly expecting to get out of it?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »
RTIC, and Sportsman...those 2 are less than half of a Yeti . I never spent more than 50 on a cooler until I got the sportsman (Sams club) and don't have any regrets.
Drinks will slush up in 100* weather....my other coolers wouldn't do that
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 01:35:39 PM »
For uses, I go with the scouts for 3-7 days and like to keep a cooler with stuff for us so we don't have to buy or can get in we hours without going anywhere.

I have only used regular coolers with blocks and high end purple ice. But 3 days is pushing it. It also stays in the back of the truck, so in the hot shade per say.

I did see the Rtic's and wondered. I also just got a little 12v cooler size fridge I am going to try out. Only holds about 8 ltrs, but if it works I can rotate.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »
I have read a few threads on this exact discussion over on the bbq brethren site, and this is what I have come to figure out.

RTIC, ORCA, YETTI, PELICAN and any of the others that are just like them are all made the same way with the same materials.  you are basically paying for a name per sey.  they all will hold ice for about the same amount of time (give or take a few hours......does that really matter?) given you keep them in shaded areas, are not going in and out of them every few minutes, etc, etc. 

now just a matter of liking from nate, if I was ever to be in the market for something like those, I would be leaning really heavily towards the pelican line.  why?  a couple of reasons.  1. with seeing and using regular pelican cases for many years in the ARMY and seeing just how well they handle the abuse, that would make it a no brainer for me..........?  2. the latch and the seal system on the pelicans just seem to be a way better design.

I have used and had pretty good success (2 days worth) from both coleman and igloo coolers while traveling the many miles of road in Iraq as well as the triple digit temps.  the one that truly stood out to me more than anything was the metal coleman ones.  they took the abuse better and there for didn't get all warped, cracked, etc like the other ones did.

another thing you may want to try for extending the length and temp (making it colder) of the ice is ICE CREAM SALT.  I have done this many of times and have been able to extend the time to another day maybe 2........?!  but you have to be careful! if you add too much, you will literally freeze what ever it is that you have in the cooler.  the one and only down side to this method is that you have to wash the salt off of things once the ice starts to thaw a bit.

just my $.02 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »
I've been running the Coleman extreme's with fairly good luck. I have three different ones, and all will make 4-7 days, but not as hot as you, more high 80's to mid 90's. It always depends on what is in them and how often opened. One summer, had 6 dozen lobster in one, shelled packed and frozen. Drove from east coast home, 7 or 8 days and it was all still solid once home. But it was not opened the whole time other than a frost check on day five.
The 7 day one is better than the 6 and 5, like one would thing should be he case, even though they appear to be the same there must be a difference somewhere in the foam.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 05:36:56 PM »
I have a yeti I bought from a vendor at wholesale cost. Wish I would have bought a couple more. It works & takes a beating too......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 10:15:58 AM »
I had a nice long response that vanished. The 12v works OK but I think it has a bad relay. Clicks when turned on then it works normal. Even has a little ice tray (works!!).

I may just get another Igloo 30 qt. I like the size but maybe go for marine this time.

Looking at reviews I like the Canyons and there are several others for way less than Yeti that review well. A 40-48 marine would be nice to use in the raft and its a seat.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »
Wife and I have a yeti (got it on sale) and a Coleman metal style. Dad and a good friend both have a pelican. I got back from four weeks on the road on Monday.

What I found was, the yeti will keep things cold easy for 5 days with semi frequent openings. Or longer if dry ice was added. The two pelican owners attest to that happening with theirs as well.

The big thing is of course cost, dad some how got his pelican for 90$ and friend got his for something like 120. And as Nate said latching system on the Pelicans definitely takes the cake.

The one down fall of these coolers is once loaded, it takes two people to move, but I guess that is probably the case with all large coolers.

We want a smaller cooler for inside the truck. Will probably do pelican or rtic, simply because of price. We love the yeti, but as everyone is aware, it hurts to buy.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
Anybody mention the Engle coolers?

Roto-molded and 2" of insulation just like the others. Good over center latches and rope as well as regular handles...

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 01:07:54 PM »
We have had scout camps with the good ol Colman and igloo coolers for 7 days. Using dry ice.  You just have to pack smart. And remember to pull the beef out a day early to cook it.

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 02:18:09 PM »
I did see the engles, good reviews.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »
I think yeti rode the wave as long as they could, now there's too many others doing the same thing.
...haven't heard of Engle, might have to check it out.

I'll have to agree with Nate on the toughness of the steal colemans (I inherited mine from my grandfolks...from the 70's), but if the sun hits it, the ice is gone in no time.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Re: Cooler that doesn't break the bank
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
JR,

I used cheap Coleman's so not much help here. I was looking also for a higher end cooler and ran across this ice test a couple months ago.

Might be of interest.

https://youtu.be/zu-V0ZqfYHg

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
I have a Yeti 45 camping and a Canyon 22 for drinks. The biggest thing you have to do to any of the high end coolers is precool them for a day or so before use, I just throw a couple frozen milk jugs in.

I recently used my yeti on a 4 wheeler trip to keep food. Precooled Wednesday- Thursday. I had 15 frozen water bottles I used to keep cool instead of using ice. In 95 degree Texas heat the cooler never got above 40 degrees and on sunday night I still couldn't drink any of the water because they were all still frozen.

Any of the good coolers work, The only reason I have a Yeti is because I won it. If I was to buy one right now It would be a Cabelas brand one.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2016/03/ice-chest-throwdown-12-top-end-coolers-ranked-and-reviewed
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:41:30 AM by sideways »

Offline Tedram

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 05:53:55 PM »
I guess I can say that i really put a cooler to the test.... About 3 times over the Summer (on full moons)a group of us meet to camp in the Imperial Sand Dune recreation area just west of Yuma. I picked up a Yeti 125 quart cooler and have been very pleased with the results, that thing just works. It was pricey but I have no regrets. I would assume most of the high end brands would also work but I can only tell you that this cooler keeps my Barley POP and water right where I like them.. ICE COLD.  As mentioned above you will get a much better result if you pre-cool the cooler and beverages. Also just dont buy any ice from the gas station, you want a Big solid piece of ice that is crystal clear and frozen hard.
I do run the AC/Genny in the Camper but only in the bedroom and only to sleep, so during the day the cooler is setting in a hot camper well over a hundred degrees and really never gets cooler that 90 at night.
Camping in the Dez in the summer sounds crazy but nothing like shredding the dunes when no one else is out there.....
Oh, and it is a dry heat.......
We ride from just before sun up till about 1000, then again at night till about midnight.. the rest of the time we nap and swim in the canal all day......
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:04:41 PM by Tedram »
2008 GMC 3500 HD CCLB Dually with EFI Live Tunes by Idaho Rob/DSP5 Switch/DPF delete 4" MBRB exhaust/S&B Dry Filter Intake/Edge CTS monitor w/EGT probe/AD 165 Liftpump/Titan 62 Gallon fuel tank/XD Monster wheels/ReTraxPro Bed Cover/Firestone Air Bags and a EGR Blocker plate in the glove box waiting for the the stars to align to install.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 12:19:18 AM »
Reminds me of the old days. Used to hang out at the salton sea for much of the summer, sometimes over to Glamis. To far north for that now.

There was the American Canal there too and was great for cooling down.

Funny, I will drop couple bills on a tool I use now and then. Should just bite the bullet as it will be a lifetime "tool".

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »
I guess I can say that i really put a cooler to the test.... About 3 times over the Summer (on full moons)a group of us meet to camp in the Imperial Sand Dune recreation area just west of Yuma. I picked up a Yeti 125 quart cooler and have been very pleased with the results, that thing just works. It was pricey but I have no regrets. I would assume most of the high end brands would also work but I can only tell you that this cooler keeps my Barley POP and water right where I like them.. ICE COLD.  As mentioned above you will get a much better result if you pre-cool the cooler and beverages. Also just dont buy any ice from the gas station, you want a Big solid piece of ice that is crystal clear and frozen hard.
I do run the AC/Genny in the Camper but only in the bedroom and only to sleep, so during the day the cooler is setting in a hot camper well over a hundred degrees and really never gets cooler that 90 at night.
Camping in the Dez in the summer sounds crazy but nothing like shredding the dunes when no one else is out there.....
We ride from just before sun up till about 1000, then again at night till about midnight.. the rest of the time we nap and swim in the canal all day......
In years past you guys would have a black Chinook, at night, all blacked out, buzzing right over your heads. I know the pilot...
When I'd be working over in the Yuma area, hunting night time dune runners was one of my favorite tricks. I'd literally, err, I mean, he would come right over them low enough to scrape that flag thing.
Another favorite trick of, err, his
There is a long stretch of highway coming east out of Cheyenne going over into Nebraska. A lot of the road is built up on a raised earthen thing. A skilled pilot, in a Chinook, for example, could fly in close formation to a semi in the middle of the night. You know those all nighters when you are having thoughts of ailen abductions...those nights?

The road was perfect so that he could tuck right in beside the truck, so close that the rotor blades were over the cab by maybe 10 feet. I, well, he could ease the cockpit up next to the truck cab to watch the guy doing the "What the heck is going on" routine. Then one could snap a pic and pull up and turn away, just like you were never there.

Ah, NVG training can be so much fun.

Next week, I'll tell you about flying on rail roads toward a train, with the landing light on...

Offline Tedram

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »
In years past you guys would have a black Chinook, at night, all blacked out, buzzing right over your heads. I know the pilot...
When I'd be working over in the Yuma area, hunting night time dune runners was one of my favorite tricks. I'd literally, err, I mean, he would come right over them low enough to scrape that flag thing.
There is a long stretch of highway coming east out of Cheyenne going over into Nebraska. A lot of the road is built up on a raised earthen thing. A skilled pilot, in a Chinook, for example, could fly in close formation to a semi in the middle of the night. You know those all nighters when you are having thoughts of ailen abductions...those nights?

The road was perfect so that he could tuck right in beside the truck, so close that the rotor blades were over the cab by maybe 10 feet. I, well, he could ease the cockpit up next to the truck cab to watch the guy doing the "What the heck is going on" routine. Then one could snap a pic and pull up and turn away, just like you were never there.

Next week, I'll tell you about flying on rail roads toward a train, with the landing light on...

Oh, I have been buzzed many times, cool stuff....... really cool was sitting up on a high ridge and  watch when you, i mean your friend would buzz the floor down below us....... Another cool thing was some of brothers from a sister service (USMC) would come in and drop about 30 Chemlights and fly off to return later. We run over and take the chemlights and put them in all kinds of formations.....or just take them and play cat and mouse with the bird....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:59:39 AM by Tedram »
2008 GMC 3500 HD CCLB Dually with EFI Live Tunes by Idaho Rob/DSP5 Switch/DPF delete 4" MBRB exhaust/S&B Dry Filter Intake/Edge CTS monitor w/EGT probe/AD 165 Liftpump/Titan 62 Gallon fuel tank/XD Monster wheels/ReTraxPro Bed Cover/Firestone Air Bags and a EGR Blocker plate in the glove box waiting for the the stars to align to install.

Offline Tedram

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
Reminds me of the old days. Used to hang out at the salton sea for much of the summer, sometimes over to Glamis. To far north for that now.

There was the American Canal there too and was great for cooling down.

Funny, I will drop couple bills on a tool I use now and then. Should just bite the bullet as it will be a lifetime "tool".

I have camped just north of Bombbay beach a couple times, you can ride the Bradshaw trail all the way to the Colorado river, or take Red Canyon trail all the way to Pattons tank museum at Chiriaco Summit.... Many slot canyons back in there....

As far as the cooler, that was my thought also. Gonna have it a long time so I bit the bullet....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »
Small world, Bombay beach was our hangout. Friends had property there. Little runway was there back then.

Our fun was outrunning the CHP on 111 and Border patrol in the dirt.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 12:36:43 PM »
Sounds like fun in the desert. And relaxing in the canal!

Love these stories about what other guys were doing. Heard it from a friend of a friend didja? Ha! 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »
Sounds like fun in the desert. And relaxing in the canal!

Love these stories about what other guys were doing. Heard it from a friend of a friend didja? Ha! 

Yup, friend of a friend ;-)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 03:59:59 PM »
https://colemans.com/shop/containers/swedish-military-aluminum-cooler/

I was thinking about getting this but got a free orica cooler from co-op.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Cooler that doesn't break the bank
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 05:45:25 PM »
I wouldn't normally spend that much money but I got a used yeti 75 for about half price so I couldn't turn it down. If I were buying another cooler today it would either be a Cabela's brand or a K2 from their scratch and dent page. The people I know who have bought scratch and dent K2s say the flaws are minimal and they still carry their lifetime warranty.

http://www.k2-coolers.com/index.php/clearance/scratch-and-dent.html

By the way: I really enjoy reading this forum. There are some talented people who post here.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:47:06 PM by longball »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 06:51:24 PM »
I wouldn't normally spend that much money but I got a used yeti 75 for about half price so I couldn't turn it down. If I were buying another cooler today it would either be a Cabela's brand or a K2 from their scratch and dent page. The people I know who have bought scratch and dent K2s say the flaws are minimal and they still carry their lifetime warranty.

http://www.k2-coolers.com/index.php/clearance/scratch-and-dent.html

By the way: I really enjoy reading this forum. There are some talented people who post here.
L-Ball,

Just checked out that link

K2, forgot all about them.

Used them in the Armee along with the Igloo water coolers

Good stuff! If I looked hard enough I'm sure I could come up with some ballistic information on these units from shrapnel or AK-47 bullets or from knife punctures from some bored NCO grunt who was hitchin' a ride!

Glad you posted, keep it up, share away, make us smarter (Doesn't apply to some people here, and I'm not mentioning DOT's or anyone specific! ;-))

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 09:41:12 PM »
Just returned from 6 days at camp and an Igloo marine with dry ice under a block froze items 3 days in, still had ice on the way home.

Thanks for the link. Those look like quality coolers and I am still in the market.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
Wife showed up with a $29.99 Coleman cooler, WalMart special. Kept ice, ice all day! Was ice water on day two, and cool water on morning of day three. That cool water became a bath for Scout afternoon of day three!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
The marine cooler did real well, actually 7 solid days. But it was not hot, used blocks and dry. A better cooler would be cheaper on ice as the bill was more than the cooler.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 02:41:06 PM »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:28 PM »
Bought a Pelican from a friend, who buys EVERYTHING from Costco... And I mean everything. He swore up and down it was defective because his ice would be gone by end of the weekend. but I had done enough research to know that he wasn't using the way it designed, if you want to keep ice as long as possible.  We also do week long trips in the dunes and our cooler is only for the items we canT fit in our toy haulers fridge. But seriously the nicest well made cooler on the market IMO. Best $100 I've spent in a while

Now cooler science doesn't need to be over-engineered...

SIMPLE RULES TO FOLLOW:
-PRE CHILL THE COOLER- I USE 1 BLOCK 24HRS AHEAD (don't open it)
-PRE CHILL OR FREEZE ANYTHING GOING INTO THE COOLER
 -LOAD THE COOLER AS YOU PLAN TO USE ITEMS IN IT (ITEMS ON TOP COME OUT FIRST)
-AIR OR EMPTY SPACE IS YOUR ENEMY- SO PLUMB FULL IS THE KEY (as long as you are able to keep it that way)
-I USE FROZEN GALLON MILK JUG FOR THE CENTER (if space provides) AND PACK AROUND THAT
-AFTER YOUVE STUFFED AS MUCH ICE IN THERE AS POSSIBLE LET IT SIT FOR 12 HOURS AND ADD ANOTHER BAG.
- GET A WORLD CHAMPION POWER LIFTER TO HELP YOU LOAD THE THING UP

THIS IS A RECIPE FOR 3-5 DAYS WORTH OF ICE....

THEN GO BUY A $30 COOLER FOR THE KIDS DRINKS/BEERS/WATERS/GATORADES--- THEY ARE THE REASON YOUR COOLER DOESNT STAY COLD FOR 5 DAYS DUMMY. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
KEEP THE DAMN LID SHUT.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:14:02 PM by mjmbrown »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 10:36:30 PM »
ROFLMFAO!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 11:36:43 PM »
Thats what I do now and get 3-4 days.

Works for most of the time if the kids shut the lid as I don't like extra coolers

Thomas Jefferson

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 02:33:53 PM »
Yeah my friend is true bonehead with too much$$.. we all have one of those.  I tried to explain the simple science behind all off it and even proved to him that it works great if you use it right. But he says for that much money he shouldn't have to babysit it. to which I compared to vehicle manufacturers and their MPG claims under perfect conditions...but still hes too thick headed for all that jazz. ::)

We had a 5 day ATV trip in Heppner in 90 degrees and I had lots of ice left at the end of the week. but I always have the "drink" cooler for the kids, its inevitable that I will shut the lid on the drink cooler 10-15 times a day. so Ive come to grips that I will always have 2 coolers. :P

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 03:30:56 PM »
If they just put real seals on cheap coolers they would work almost as well. A little foam tape is going on my igloo. With a block of ice at the bottom and all the stuff around it chilled filling the rest with ice, it works OK.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
So we have a Yeti 65 tundra for food & have a Yellowstone / Glacier camping trip planned for June. I needed to pickup a less expensive "drink cooler". After checking this thread and part of me wanting an old school looking metal cooler (probably my steel background speaking to me) I stumbled across this deal for just over $50 out the door. Normally $80 and had decent reviews for what I wanted. Also made in the USA.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-54-qt-Steel-Belted-Cooler/4528997
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:30:40 AM by stlaser »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »
So we have a Yeti 65 tundra for food & have a Yellowstone / Glacier camping trip planned for June. I needed to pickup a less expensive "drink cooler". After checking this thread and part of me wanting an old school looking metal cooler (probably my steel background speaking to me) I stumbled across this deal for just over $50 out the door. Normally $80 and had decent reviews for what I wanted. Also made in the USA.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-54-qt-Steel-Belted-Cooler/4528997

I'd bet I'm not the only one here who has one of these. Ours is stainless and a dang good cooler. Had for about 9 years I think, seen lots of miles, and kept lots frozen and or cold! However we bout ours at REI, and paid WAY more than $53. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »
Been having OK luck with the marine coolers, at least they still have foam in them! I think a little foam seal around the edge is the trick.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »
Foam seal upgrade couldn't hurt....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2017, 09:05:49 PM »
I kept looking and with a search I came up with about 32 companies that make the higher end chests that could do the job.

All say they are the best of course. Some have metal latches, some have rubber clasps like a jeep hood and some have a mix of both. Walmart has even got into it but the latches on their Ozark Trail brand are screwed to the front and stick out.

I settled on the Igloo Sportsman 40qt. It has the rubber latches and are recessed. It will take a standard lock and has a little less insulation, but it much less pricey than any BIG brand. In fact, I got it for less than $100 on ebay. The 40qt (about the size of a cheap 48) is about the right size for moving around an can still hold enough for a week if needed.

I have a couple trips in the next 2 weeks so it will get tested well. Last time with a basic cooler I used blocks with dry ice and some cubed ice. This worked OK but got pricey. I plane on just a block this time for the main cooling.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/sportsman-40

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2017, 09:22:26 AM »
I kept looking and with a search I came up with about 32 companies that make the higher end chests that could do the job.

All say they are the best of course. Some have metal latches, some have rubber clasps like a jeep hood and some have a mix of both. Walmart has even got into it but the latches on their Ozark Trail brand are screwed to the front and stick out.

I settled on the Igloo Sportsman 40qt. It has the rubber latches and are recessed. It will take a standard lock and has a little less insulation, but it much less pricey than any BIG brand. In fact, I got it for less than $100 on ebay. The 40qt (about the size of a cheap 48) is about the right size for moving around an can still hold enough for a week if needed.

I have a couple trips in the next 2 weeks so it will get tested well. Last time with a basic cooler I used blocks with dry ice and some cubed ice. This worked OK but got pricey. I plane on just a block this time for the main cooling.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/sportsman-40
Those Igloo's are in Cosco at the moment

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
I have never seen the high end igloo there or other brands.

Sure they have the marine coolers but that's it here.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »
I have never seen the high end igloo there or other brands.

Sure they have the marine coolers but that's it here.
I think komifirnia probably has some rule...like if a tadpole can be accidentally locked inside and suffocate, then it's illegal to sell there...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »
I did get a killer price though.

On the site they are $220. I paid $90 with free shipping. I have seen them for almost $300.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »
That's what I have JR, but the larger one. Works as well as a yeti if "done right". Paid 200 at Sams club. I really like the latches, handles, and especially the drain plug. The only thing I don't like is the weight, and the finish is rougher than a yeti (harder to clean).

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
Yes sir, once you get that full of product and ice it better already be where you want it. Unless you have good help to move it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal