Hello Guest

Author Topic: Costco for Eyeglasses  (Read 1356 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Costco for Eyeglasses
« on: April 21, 2018, 08:33:00 AM »
Ok, I'm putting this here for feedback:

Went for the yearly (ok it's been 3 years) eye exam at Lenscrafters to find out that they no longer make glasses in house but rather send them to a central facility and ship them back to the store!  I like the eye Dr. and frame selection etc., but choked on the price!  With a 40% discount on lenses and not frames, price for a second pair (sun glasses) was going to be $475 out the door!  Bad enough that may everyday pair was $560 including exam- I looked into ordering from on-line companies and wasn't comfortable as the options with price calculations was difficult to figure out, and when trying to enter the prescription wasn't complete!

What those above prices included:
Frames, Anti-glare coating, progressive lenses (Tri-focals for you younguns), Polarized and anti-static coating for dust.

Option 3 was go to Costco and investigate as the HH6 has friends who have done similar and been satisfied with the results!  So I went and inquired and it's pretty simple.  They have a limited selection of frames, and a simplified options selection as well, but they include most of what others charge per ad-on into one low cost.  Ended up finding a frame that I can live with since they didn't have wrap around.

Frame - $60
Progressive lens, polarized with Transitions "Drive Wear" - $170
Flash Mirror Coating - $22
Total w/ tax = $250

ALMOST 1/2 PRICE!  Now it's given that they're not exactly the same as what I was going to get from Lenscrafters (not wraps) but they have the new Transitions lens that changes the degree and type of filtering  based upon outside lighting.  Flat lighting = yellow cast for improve definition, medium sun = darker but not a cave type light and finally bright sun = opaque with full mirror surface from outside with my view being polarized and great definition.  The Lenscrafters would have been even more expensive for that option!

Bright sun on the way home so got to try them right away and can report that they seem great so far!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Costco for Eyeglasses
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
Have used me for glasses, they were fine. We had a prescription from another DR. Have done that with several DR looking for the best price on glasses.

Few makes em in house now, so go for price.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »
https://www.warbyparker.com/

try these guys out.  I hear good things about them
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
I have purchased probably 6 pairs of glasses through https://www.zennioptical.com over the past couple of years.

You can get a good pair for under $100.00 and they ship fast. From China but basically the same as you get here.

The only quirk is that you have to measure your PD (pupillary distance https://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic ) between your eyes which isn't included in a typical prescription.

I have one semi corrected eye via a botched cataract surgery and one un corrected eye so I have to order two pairs of glasses and combine the lenses to make one pair because they are too off of a prescription and Zenni won't make that pair.

All in all good.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:14:09 PM »
Someone at work mentioned Zenni today also-
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal