Hello Guest

Author Topic: NWMT Cabin  (Read 30041 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: NWMT Cabin
« Reply #350 on: March 14, 2023, 07:26:41 PM »

Several clear days are upon us with mid 40’s temps in the afternoon. I was able to sheet 95% of the roof before I ran a sheet short. Will finish that in the am and get ice shield and underlayment down.

I ordered the lumber package for big shop today. Came in just over $9k and I’m sure there is another 5% that will be needed but I wanted the package price locked in for now. I need to get garage doors ordered next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 14, 2023, 07:30:32 PM »
Glad your working!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 14, 2023, 07:38:15 PM »
Glad your working!

I am, fatigue is gone for the most part. I still have a lingering cough that is exacerbated by the cold air. But beyond that I’m doing good. Gunna try and get this shop completely closed in yet this week. Then I can start electrical and insulation.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 14, 2023, 07:44:21 PM »
Closed in is a great point to be at. Hoping the same for me this year.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 14, 2023, 09:15:05 PM »
How are those work boots?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 14, 2023, 09:59:38 PM »

They’re ok, with all the snow and wet I’ve been wearing my muck boots a lot. Broke out sneakers for on the roof today. After discussing the boots with a couple of guys the consensus is heat and sweat to get them broken in properly. Not the ideal time of year for that atm. I currently have 15 hours in them and need around 100 before I oil them further. I can get them on at least now w/o creating sores on my feet so that’s a plus.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 14, 2023, 11:20:14 PM »

They’re ok, with all the snow and wet I’ve been wearing my muck boots a lot. Broke out sneakers for on the roof today. After discussing the boots with a couple of guys the consensus is heat and sweat to get them broken in properly. Not the ideal time of year for that atm. I currently have 15 hours in them and need around 100 before I oil them further. I can get them on at least now w/o creating sores on my feet so that’s a plus.

You are a big boy, can make your own decisions, and can leave others opinions as you see fit.

From a large man being forced to walk many, many miles in all leather boots with heavy amounts of weight on my back, i have recommendations i can offer if you would like them.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:20:48 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 15, 2023, 11:03:49 AM »

You are a big boy, can make your own decisions, and can leave others opinions as you see fit.

From a large man being forced to walk many, many miles in all leather boots with heavy amounts of weight on my back, i have recommendations i can offer if you would like them.

Thanks Nate, honestly those boots are last of my worries atm. So after speaking with several of you guys I’ll wait until I either “need” the replacements or it warms up considerably then deal with them.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 15, 2023, 11:40:39 AM »
That thing is coming right along!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 17, 2023, 06:23:54 PM »

Underlayment is’t perfect but it’s down and fairly straight. I hate working on a roof.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 17, 2023, 06:40:45 PM »
Coming along great
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 18, 2023, 07:41:02 PM »

Roof is dried in with the underlayment complete. We installed the sewer line today and set grade on it. They will be pulling grade for pouring of the slab later this week. I need to get osb up on walls of machine shop next then wrap it and install windows and doors. Once that is complete I’ll start on the electrical and insulation.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:44:12 PM by stlaser »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
NWMT Cabin
« Reply #362 on: March 18, 2023, 07:48:03 PM »
At least it’s not 12/12!

Curious about the underlayment and how it creates a waterproof intersection with the wall given all the snow pack. # not my problem in the south.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 18, 2023, 08:48:54 PM »
At least it’s not 12/12!

Curious about the underlayment and how it creates a waterproof intersection with the wall given all the snow pack. # not my problem in the south.

Agreed, it’s 6/12 and highest roof on big shop is 9/12 so that should get interesting.

Well, that’s a 3’ overhang above it so I doubt it ever gets wet. Beyond that there is a special trim piece I’m buying for against that wall that goes up under the siding on existing wall. The steel roof panel sits under it at the new roof level. If it leaks I have a bucket…..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 08:50:16 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 19, 2023, 11:51:45 AM »
Nice work.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 19, 2023, 03:49:43 PM »
Thanks guys

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2023, 08:09:47 AM »

Second day of burning. I started this project of front yard cleanup last week. Yesterday went better than the first day as the brush was considerably drier. As of this morning that fire is still going strong. Only took 3 gallons of an oil / diesel concoction to get it going good. I cleaned up the drop scraps from the machine shop job site as a base. Consequently, imo this is the best natural whole body workout available. That is pulling ponderosa pine limbs thru slushy / icy snow after getting them to release from the same ground and throwing them on a burn pile for hours on end. Between limbs that are just plain heavy and awkward. Then ending up face down slipping & falling on the ground several times throughout the afternoon I’m feeling it again this morning. #progress

Trip to spokane today to pickup freight skid of kingpin axles so easy day after I run to Libby this morning for banking and a couple supply store stops.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2023, 09:04:36 AM »
Hard work is good for men... period!

Pulling brush is a necessary part of property ownership.
As much as I don't like doing it, I love the workout it gets you.
Stop doing it and in 10 years your place will have returned to its natural state.

I am feeling it too. All that work on the cabinet, sawing, hauling, up and down stairs a million times, and working at odd angles hanging off a step ladder...Well, it hurts
and
it's good!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2023, 12:03:40 PM »
Watch the fire with an adult beverage is icing on the cake.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 20, 2023, 12:46:16 PM »

Second day of burning. I started this project of front yard cleanup last week. Yesterday went better than the first day as the brush was considerably drier. As of this morning that fire is still going strong. Only took 3 gallons of an oil / diesel concoction to get it going good. I cleaned up the drop scraps from the machine shop job site as a base. Consequently, imo this is the best natural whole body workout available. That is pulling ponderosa pine limbs thru slushy / icy snow after getting them to release from the same ground and throwing them on a burn pile for hours on end. Between limbs that are just plain heavy and awkward. Then ending up face down slipping & falling on the ground several times throughout the afternoon I’m feeling it again this morning. #progress

Trip to spokane today to pickup freight skid of kingpin axles so easy day after I run to Libby this morning for banking and a couple supply store stops.

A good fire really helps clean up the place. Living in Western Washington where it rains more often than not during burning season I use a propane torch to get the pile started.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 20, 2023, 03:01:55 PM »
I’ll second lumberjacking is about the best whole body workout around.
I need to do a few weekends of it to get me in better shape.

Nice progress on the addition and build site.
These fires burn a long time for sure.
I usually do a Christmas burn as it gives me a few days for it to burn out.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 21, 2023, 09:50:21 PM »

They pulled grade on the floor today then compacted it again. Finally they dug out the slab for monolithic footings under mezzanine posts, the 2 post lift and a load bearing wall extension. They should have rebar placed in and screed rods set tomorrow. Tomorrow is last nice day before rain comes in. I dug a 5’ sq and drop hole today to locate power going from transformer to the house.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 10:38:09 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2023, 11:05:40 PM »
Looks nice, warming up a touch?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 22, 2023, 08:35:34 AM »
Looks nice, warming up a touch?

High around 50 last few days, afternoon turns into big mud hole that will swallow your boots. Glacial silt clay crap. Oddest stuff I have ever dealt with. Acts like heavy blue clay when saturated and like moon dust when dry…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 22, 2023, 01:22:40 PM »
I've heard of places that have a "mud" season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 22, 2023, 01:34:53 PM »
We do……

The hole this morning

Setting steel

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 22, 2023, 08:31:24 PM »

Hard to see but they dug out for the monolithic structure that will go under the front porch.

House wrap then windows and doors

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:42:20 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2023, 08:40:52 PM »
Your killing it!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 22, 2023, 08:43:32 PM »
Your killing it!!

Thanks, got weather coming in soon and we’re leaving for a few days so trying to get quite a bit done this week.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 23, 2023, 06:03:01 PM »

Windows and doors on deck!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2023, 06:22:54 PM »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 29, 2023, 12:05:38 AM »
Nothing spectacular to report atm. Gotta head out of town and get some real work done. I’ve been finishing up little bits n pieces. Installing hurricane clips on the rafters to walls and several finishing blocking on a few spots. Started adding cedar soffit on the one side to keep birds from nesting in the rafters and getting the door locks installed.

On the big shop it’s supposed to get a front porch and footer poured tomorrow. Then they’re pouring the floor Friday with a pumper. That should be it for awhile, be good to get them off the payroll.

Wife came home this evening and found me in machine shop working on blocking. Asked what’s next, I told her rough wiring and then insulation. Her response was you’re getting spray foam quoted right? After a whole ten seconds I said that might not be a bad idea. To which she said yes, please get a quote. So I’ve reached out to my insulation guy. We’ll see what he needs for that 12x20 room.

I’ll have a big shop to start framing very soon. So letting someone else do the insulation which I’m
Allergic to is a good idea maybe.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 29, 2023, 10:23:06 AM »
Nothing spectacular to report atm. Gotta head out of town and get some real work done. I’ve been finishing up little bits n pieces. Installing hurricane clips on the rafters to walls and several finishing blocking on a few spots. Started adding cedar soffit on the one side to keep birds from nesting in the rafters and getting the door locks installed.

On the big shop it’s supposed to get a front porch and footer poured tomorrow. Then they’re pouring the floor Friday with a pumper. That should be it for awhile, be good to get them off the payroll.

Wife came home this evening and found me in machine shop working on blocking. Asked what’s next, I told her rough wiring and then insulation. Her response was you’re getting spray foam quoted right? After a whole ten seconds I said that might not be a bad idea. To which she said yes, please get a quote. So I’ve reached out to my insulation guy. We’ll see what he needs for that 12x20 room.

I’ll have a big shop to start framing very soon. So letting someone else do the insulation which I’m
Allergic to is a good idea maybe.
Funny you mentioned the birds nesting

Kat and I went down to the barn to pick up the mower and there is a small village of birds living up there now.

Next: Barn katz

evil face emoji

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 29, 2023, 05:01:14 PM »

Poured front porch this morning

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 29, 2023, 05:40:28 PM »
Things are moving right along. Won’t be long and you can start making money instead of spending money.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 29, 2023, 06:13:15 PM »
Whats your frost depth and cement cost up there?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 29, 2023, 10:29:23 PM »
Things are moving right along. Won’t be long and you can start making money instead of spending money.

Thanks Bob, I hope so. I hate turning down work weekly.

Jr, maybe 3ft is what I’ve been told. As far as concrete idk honestly as I haven’t bought any. I hired a contractor to do a specific job x 2 now. I can tell you I have $75k ish in the land clearing (hauling off stumps and limbs), excavation, fill, 3 culverts, septic tank, 2 foundations and back fill. The one foundation is 36 x 48 and other is 12 x 20 and they’re regular footer and wall type foundations.

Also worth noting we have one concrete plant locally and I’m sure where I’m at they’re charging extra for the extended drive out here. I did get lucky on the pit run fill. $60 per 10 ton and $100 delivery fee per load. Dump fee was $80 a load.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:33:50 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 29, 2023, 11:37:23 PM »
My land was 95k. Permits for well and roads ran around 4k, plus the well was 25k. I did 90% of the road and about 80% of the pad. Those 10 and 20% were another 6k for heavier machines.

I think mud is around 200 yard up here, plus a delivery fee and they can't haul a full load with the hill (it pours out)

Frost is 24in around here, but my buildings footings are 3'. Thats were I am at now, starting to dig.

You have really done a lot in a short time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 30, 2023, 08:00:46 AM »
Thanks Jr, some days it doesn’t feel like I’ve done much with as much as I have planned yet. Eating an elephant….

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 30, 2023, 08:03:47 PM »
Have you got the shop layout designed in your head yet?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 30, 2023, 08:04:39 PM »
Iv also got to see in my bosses new barn/shop at his place. He did 6” tongue and groove with a white wash over the whole interior. Man does it look awesome

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 30, 2023, 11:28:56 PM »
Have you got the shop layout designed in your head yet?

It’s on paper, major things at least. Small stuff will find its home as it goes. I’m thinking white corrugated steel. These shops will be worked in so at least with steel you can wipe them down.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2023, 06:45:45 PM »

Conestoga Wagon northward bound

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2023, 07:58:05 PM »
Where you are, hope you don't test that bumper!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2023, 08:08:07 PM »
Colorado shop, first load of shop tools and equipment

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2023, 08:23:27 PM »
Colorado shop, first load of shop tools and equipment
:likebutton:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 02, 2023, 10:06:16 PM »
I hate moving...Bet you hate it more than I do right about now...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 02, 2023, 10:18:50 PM »
I hate moving...Bet you hate it more than I do right about now...

Yup……

Although it might get easier if this guy I spoke to buys the shop. He wants the lifts and will just buy me replacements and have them delivered……..

So this load was heavy weld table, mig welder, both tool boxes, engine hoist, all bottles with gas in them. Torches, and all of my inventory of install kits and lockers and gears etc. plus all my tools for axle building. Then a bunch of misc tools and things in truck bed. I’d guess the trailer is 12-13k by itself and truck has another 1k# in it
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 10:22:20 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 02, 2023, 11:51:41 PM »
By any chance, do you make the brackets for larger brakes on a gm dana 60? Ive seen a set by Torq that use slip over 13in rotors and dual calipers. Much rather give you the $$.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2023, 05:25:35 AM »
By any chance, do you make the brackets for larger brakes on a gm dana 60? Ive seen a set by Torq that use slip over 13in rotors and dual calipers. Much rather give you the $$.

Funny you ask, Duane amd I were just talking about this same thing a week ago. I told him I’d look into it as I make a 15” wheel capable 3/4 ton setup and have for about 25 years. So I’m going to look into it soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal