Hello Guest

Author Topic: Home modification  (Read 406 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Home modification
« on: May 08, 2023, 11:03:55 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not or if any of you had to deal with this.

We have steps that you have to access to get in and out of our house and in our second bath a tub/shower. When Damien gets discharge from the burn unit he will be staying with us and there is fear that he won't be able to handle the steps or the step into the tub. I think that we need to build some kind of porch and a walk in shower and would need to do that before he comes home. I don't think that there is anyway insurance would fund those projects before he is discharged.

Would I be better off to just fund the project and be done with it?

Contact insurance/worker comp and see if they will fund it?

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Home modification
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 03:57:21 PM »
Something like this might work for the shower.

https://www.avacaremedical.com/splash-defense-transfer-bench-with-curtain-guard-protection?sku=rtl12032kdr&fee=14&fep=140985&gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-KiBhCsARIsAPztUF2aEEIs4A7dLOA27nRTa1Ma0UP6BAc5h1hZOr8UaQ0Xq3RN1Qha4NoaAgQzEALw_wcB

Do you have room to put new handicap ramp on current house?  Could be removed later.  Might be an option.  It could be wood or a prefab metal one.  Don't have any idea what you are starting with.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 04:17:13 PM »
Here's a couple of thoughts

Ultimately, I believe the employer is going to be on the hook for all of this, or his insurance.

Have you/he retained a lawyer yet?

Step 1: Get a good attorney

Step 2: Then just tell him what you need and say, "Go sic em!"

You could fund it yourself if that is what you are asking here.

You could start a go-fund-me page and put it up everywhere with a dollar goal of, say $10,000 to build a ramp, modify a shower and maybe get a dedicated wheelchair. I don't know what the real number looks like, but you might have an idea

I'll chip in here or at a GFM site, which I would advise you to do to defray costs.

In the end, you/he is looking at a legal battle that is likely to recover a pretty sizeable sum. You could take your settlement out of that along with a fee for housing and the caretaking.

To review: Get an attorney, a good one...

If you wanted to do the GFM page, I'll volunteer to do the writeup. All I need is a bunch of the facts and the story. I'll bet I can do you right with a passionate plea for some help... Here for the asking.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 06:21:15 PM »
Here's a couple of thoughts

Ultimately, I believe the employer is going to be on the hook for all of this, or his insurance.

Have you/he retained a lawyer yet?

Step 1: Get a good attorney

Step 2: Then just tell him what you need and say, "Go sic em!"

You could fund it yourself if that is what you are asking here.

You could start a go-fund-me page and put it up everywhere with a dollar goal of, say $10,000 to build a ramp, modify a shower and maybe get a dedicated wheelchair. I don't know what the real number looks like, but you might have an idea

I'll chip in here or at a GFM site, which I would advise you to do to defray costs.

In the end, you/he is looking at a legal battle that is likely to recover a pretty sizeable sum. You could take your settlement out of that along with a fee for housing and the caretaking.

To review: Get an attorney, a good one...

If you wanted to do the GFM page, I'll volunteer to do the writeup. All I need is a bunch of the facts and the story. I'll bet I can do you right with a passionate plea for some help... Here for the asking.
Very good point we have a very good attorney and should user her. I will ask her what she thinks and go from there. I'm not sure if doing a go fund me would do anything to the case so thankbyou for the offer but will hold off until we hear back from the lawyer.

This is what this forum is all about asking for help and getting a ton of useful suggestions and support.

Thanks men
Steve

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 08:26:25 PM »
Steve,

Not free!

We (At least Me) expect free coffee at some point. Good advice is worth its weight in quoffee...  ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 08:35:49 PM »
Steve,

Not free!

We (At least Me) expect free coffee at some point. Good advice is worth its weight in quoffee...  ;-)
Well if you are wverbin this part of the world or I in your part I would definitely buy you some coffee. After all coffee makes the world go around and keeps many of us out of jail

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 08:39:02 PM »
Ive seen GFM raise stupid amount of money for less important things.

Once it goes viral you get 10,000 people donating $5 and it mushrooms.

A quality attorney is a must, but I stress “quality”.  Not an ambulance chaser.

We live in a world where people don’t take responsibility for their actions.  Sometimes, it takes the unpleasant to bring about results.

When scriptures say not to go to law against a brother, its not referencing a non brother.  This business owner is obviously not a brother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline hammer7896

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 08:39:27 PM »
Just a bit of info about a ramp. For every one inch of height into the house you will need one foot of length for the ramp.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 09:03:53 PM »
That's right and plan for 48 inches wide. 60 if you have a landing for a turn.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 08:09:24 AM »
Thanks guys

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal