Hello Guest

Author Topic: Big Dave's honey do's; what Big Dave does when handling/not handling twins  (Read 76931 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Big Dave's honey do's; what Big Dave does when handling/not handling twins
« Reply #350 on: January 06, 2018, 12:31:56 AM »
 :likebutton:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 06, 2018, 08:33:03 AM »
Always a good feeling when you do it yourself AND it cures the issue!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 06, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
All buttoned back up, start truck to get a batteries not charging error

V meter says they are charging, edge gauge says it’s charging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 06, 2018, 09:37:50 PM »
All buttoned back up, start truck to get a batteries not charging error

V meter says they are charging, edge gauge says it’s charging

Earlier you screwed with a gremlin

Not just screwed with it, you bested it

It isn't done with you.

At this point it has probably plastered your vin all over the GFB (Gremlin facebook) where others have noticed and one just hit the "Like" button

Brace for impact young man!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 06, 2018, 11:02:24 PM »
Come on Don. Don’t put me into the gremlin chase.   It’s to cold for that.

I can’t even open a tool box drawer four inches when my truck is in grandmas garage.  It’s way to tight to work on. 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 13, 2018, 06:04:42 PM »
Well much thought and conversation on the job topic.   I spoke with my current manager/good friend. Told him we will work at our goals for two months and see what we can turn out ( two months so that my financing for the new home isn’t muddied with the job change) and reevaluate from there.

The construction job is open ended to start and close when I say.  Joining his team only elevates his business and he is pleased to let me finish school, meet my family needs, I see a five year window of growth at a minimum here in Utah for the housing market, multiple sources feel the same.  Depending on future growth of Utah (new California) has a great potential to surpass five years.
My plan is a three year with school to finish my Manufacturing Engineering degree and decide to move MBA or stay construction or just presume the engineering from that point.
I enjoy team/people management, I excel and processes and design, I thrive in a rotating environment and all three of these options provide that with the exception of HR and people not liking to be told pure blunt truth.

I am still curious what all of you guys do for work, more detailed than I work for a this and state at a computer.

I currently work for L-3 technology, I build mostly the antenna systems for UAV’s that go into the predator, U2, new U2 as we call it.
I have worked on other systems that mount to Humvees and systems that mount to the top of these Hoover type planes Don likes so much. Person to person, person to FOB to ship com systems. We do a lot of military application stuff.

What do you do?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 13, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
Me, nothin important just keeping up on the home front. My work days ended many years ago...

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 13, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »
I'm a design engineer for John Deere Horicon works.  In Horicon we design and build the X300, X500, X700 and X900 lawnmowers and the Gators.  We also design the residential Zero turn units but production of those were moved to Greenville, TN a few years back.  Specifically I own the design of the mower decks for the X300 and X500 product.  If you have seen any of John Deere's recent "it's not how fast you mow, but how well you mow fast" commercials those decks are my design control.

I have my bachelor's in mechanical engineering with a minor in product design.  I did do one summer internship with an automotive supplier in Michigan.  It was a manufacturing engineering role in the plant where they turned and assembled front half shafts. 

What does my day look like?  It varies depending on the time of year and timing of whatever project I am working on.  I have new design responsibilities as well as making sure the factory keeps running.  Top priority is always taking care of any "fires" in the factory.  My day can be completely turned on it's head if I get a call from the factory floor with an issue that they need design engineering help with.

When I'm at my desk I spend a lot of time on the computer working in CAD.  There is also a lot of time spent communicating with the rest of the extended team.  I probably work most closely with the warranty team.

I do a little bit of travel.  There might be a couple trips to Florida during the winter to do some product testing.  We have a test site down there that maintains an area of grass for us when we have no grass here in WI.  Because I am the only mower deck engineer in my product lines group my new usually floats to the top of the list if there is a trip planned for Europe.  That happens every 3-5 years probably.

My side gig is building bumpers for trucks.  It started when I built one for my 03 Dmax about 7 or 8 years ago.  On average I build about 1 a week.  That averages out to around 5 hours of work give or take depending on the model.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
I'm failing at being a housewife...

Sad story

Guess I'm not trained or qualified for the position...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 13, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »
I make one heck of a PB & Jelly sandwich & my nickname is lunchlady! :tongue:

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 13, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »
I'm failing at being a housewife...

Sad story

Guess I'm not trained or qualified for the position...

I concur with that Don. Just made frozen pasta for dinner.

Guess most of you know I am retired. LEO for 26 years.

Bear, I want to close in my aftermarket bumpers and have 2 to build for the Burb. Another thread for sure,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Like your plan Dave. Sounds like you have it worked out, sure HE will help along the way.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2018, 10:37:58 PM »
Dave, I work for a very large company in the employer benefits business.  I lead a team of 45 people who sell and service our customers and I also work to develop new products and strategies.  I manage a P&L of about 2B in revenue and 100M in profit.  I've been with this company about 15 years.  My days are all over the map.  150 emails a day, several conference calls, a few in person meetings, lots of coaching with my team. Some travel for meetings and such.  Lots of in person external meetings with customers and brokers who distribute our products.  My college degree plan was electrical engineering but I stopped just short of finishing.  After 28 years in my field I like to say I have a masters degree from the university of get your a$$ a job
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:36:59 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 14, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
I teach HS Art & Photography; less about teaching as of late and more about managing ill behavior and figuring out how to teach those who actually want to learn in the process. I spend my day shaking my head wondering why teachers are the only ones really held accountable. State of ILLinois saw fit to pass a law that SEVERELY limits suspensions and expulsions.  Needless to say, I have learned to ignore much of what I used to turn over to Deans for disciplining them as they have their hands tied. So the essence of what I due is trying to perfect the concept of picking up a turd with bare hands without getting dirty!  Manager of multiple people with multiple needs with many who don’t really want your product while trying to meet the needs and desires of those who really do; required to treat them all equally - some with special behavior issues MORE equally.

(Animal Farm quote for those of you of my generation)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 14, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »
I have never been envious of the direction education is going across the country, that type of position is really hard with parents who are just a useless as the students in many cases

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 03, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »
I think we have a tile sample and pattern picked for the house

The sample is of a laminate pice but the tile shop is going to find us tile that matches

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 03, 2018, 01:43:09 PM »
Grey and herringbone, nice.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 13, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »
So the documents have been signed for the house. Build design is finished.

To do list

Carpet
Tile
Light fixtures
Faucet styles
Door knobs and hardware
Window coverings
Appliance for kitchen
Laundry appliances
Wall colors
Trim (will be white)
Bedroom ceiling fans
Garage floor epoxy color
Basement stained concrete color
Cabinet shape, stain color,

Exterior hardy color
Exterior brick color
Roof shingles or metal color. Most likely shingles.
Color drive way concrete(?)
Trees to plant
Sprinkler/irrigation system design

If anyone has a suggestion of thoughts.  Feel free to spew them out

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 13, 2018, 08:57:08 PM »

How well will shingles hold up in your area? Would metal or tile roofing hold up better? You can even get metal in a tile look or even metal 3 tab look...

Sprinklers, if using drip type for individual shrubs and trees, don't use the black plastic tubing as good old pvc has a much longer life. Have them install lots of conduit under the concrete flatwork for wiring and irrigation runs and mark/map the locations. I wish they would have used one size larger here at the winter place as I could only get 1/2" pipe through the conduit.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:04:22 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 13, 2018, 09:11:33 PM »
I was debating on putting some 4 inch black pvc under the garage from wall to wall and going to put a few of the same under the driveway. For just that reason

My current residence we had to run water all the way around the house to water the lawn. The driveway is to wide to push water and pipe under it.

We have a large population of asphalt shingles very few metal type roofs but both will do well in the area.  I don’t think the Arizona type tile will work at all with snow

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 13, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »
I wonder about doing that type of idea of empty plumbing under the slab in my basement?

What manner or ideas have you thought about for a drawing for locating these types of things ?

I assume I could pay an architect to draw it up, I also need a drawing of the property and house on the property so I can lay out my yard and sprinkler system

No drip system here we usually use the standard rainbird or toro pop up heads. 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 13, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »
Brainstorm.  I am gonna draw it up on solid works. I’ll post it

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 13, 2018, 10:19:39 PM »

Well, for location of stuff, I am just a road worker so I just measured from a couple known points for each end and made a quick dirty not to scale drawing to have and hold forever. Same with the sewer cleanouts, and D box.

I would think some kind of metal roofing would well outlast the asphalt shingles. Biggest draw back is metal can be a bit slippery when wet if you have much of a slope to the roof.

Sprinkler....have the plumber provide a stub out from the 1 inch minimum  water service line for connection of irrigation. If on metered water service, request a 1 inch or larger meter for good flow to the home and fewer sprinkler stations.

Depending on how far down the basement floor is, not sure conduit would be needed. Could be a lot of digging to get down to it.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 13, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »
Pretty sure you can get a metal roof in about any style. Some are panels that look like regular shingles but last for 50 years. In a hard area 10-15 years is all for regular shingles.

Bob, I like that idea for general layout. Fixed point and no real scale.

Dave, was this one of the lots you were looking at?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 13, 2018, 11:35:15 PM »
Bob,
The basement will be completely finished before move in @ 40 inches below grade.  The soil in the area is pretty easy going.  Thought is to hand trench a pipe under the basement slab and put in a piece of two of pipe from day the mechanical room to either side of the home (3 inch black pvc) for a gee wiz and one to the garage side. 

Irrigation will be a secondary water here.  I think they limit the size of inlet we are allowed to have. 1inch is probably the max.  But I will ask and see if some bribery is possible.
All of the water and sewer lines are actually marked on the curb with a stamp or a pressed in metal marker so those are fixed in place.

Jr,
I would love to have a metal roof for 50 years but I am thinking more than I want to spend at the moment on the roof. 

Yes this is one of the lots I looked at earlier,  .50 achr with another .50 as a easement that no one will build on at one side of the line due to a watershed line that is abandoned but still usable by city if needs be the other side is a corner lot

The lot right in the middle

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:19 PM »
Here is the build print as of today

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 15, 2018, 02:18:51 PM »
Sweet house and garage. Bedrooms up stairs? 9.5 ceilings, great!

Have them add a big door out the back. Neighbor has one, works great! You have to walk through the house to pee? With your mud room and washer dryer there a toilet would be easy!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 15, 2018, 02:34:06 PM »
It would be really convenient to have a bathroom right off the garage.  I see a washer and dryer in the utility room, but it would be nice to have a utility sink there also.  Unless you plan for a sink in the garage.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 15, 2018, 02:38:08 PM »
Just run plumbing and do later, much cheaper!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 15, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
Have them add a big door out the back.

my house in el paso had extra wide front and patio doors along with an extra wide hall and extra wide door in to all the rooms....(may have been a handicapped person living there at one point)........if I ever have another house built, this is a non-negotiable topic!!!!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 15, 2018, 05:13:49 PM »
I should have said garage door.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 15, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »
Agree with JR -- Garage door to the back, or a man-door at least. I see the one on the side, but that is a lot of extra walking. Maybe omit that door as it would be visible from the street and might attract the undesirables...

Appliances - stay away from Electrolux/Frigidaire (sister companies) - bad experience with them.

Definitely run a 4" ABS under the driveway slab for irrigation - heck, run two. Its cheap. As for under the garage slab... not sure what you'd use that for except maybe wiring/air hose?

Garage epoxy - use the pro stuff, not the rustoleum kit from Home Depot. Though, you probably have that factored into the price of the slab and will have the flatwork guys taking care of that, so hopefully they're using the pro stuff.

Irrigation -- Wifi controller. SOOOO nice to be able to turn on zones from your phone while you're out troubleshooting something.

Thats another thing -- structured wiring. Run everything to a central location/panel. Sounds like you have a mech room in the basement -- perfect place for that.  When in doubt, run extra wires.  The big thing coming out now is Mesh wifi -- maybe plan some strategic/hidden power outlets and cat5 runs so you can place multiple Wifi APs around the house for best coverage.

Christmas light plugs under the eaves connected back to dedicated circuits and timers (if you're into that sort of thing).
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 15, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
I like the light outlets under the eaves. Deal with that every year and it would so much work.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 15, 2018, 08:28:52 PM »
Agree with JR -- Garage door to the back, or a man-door at least. I see the one on the side, but that is a lot of extra walking. Maybe omit that door as it would be visible from the street and might attract the undesirables...

Appliances - stay away from Electrolux/Frigidaire (sister companies) - bad experience with them.

Definitely run a 4" ABS under the driveway slab for irrigation - heck, run two. Its cheap. As for under the garage slab... not sure what you'd use that for except maybe wiring/air hose?

Garage epoxy - use the pro stuff, not the rustoleum kit from Home Depot. Though, you probably have that factored into the price of the slab and will have the flatwork guys taking care of that, so hopefully they're using the pro stuff.

Irrigation -- Wifi controller. SOOOO nice to be able to turn on zones from your phone while you're out troubleshooting something.

Thats another thing -- structured wiring. Run everything to a central location/panel. Sounds like you have a mech room in the basement -- perfect place for that.  When in doubt, run extra wires.  The big thing coming out now is Mesh wifi -- maybe plan some strategic/hidden power outlets and cat5 runs so you can place multiple Wifi APs around the house for best coverage.

Christmas light plugs under the eaves connected back to dedicated circuits and timers (if you're into that sort of thing).
I’ll start here

No garage door out the back. Don’t care for the added access point to the house, the man door on the side will be omitted and not installed. One more door to be left unlocked

I used to be a “pro” epoxy guy polished concrete for years and years.

I think I will add abs pipe all over and under the slab like suggested. By the House by the mailbox by the sidewalk under the RV pad and one in the garage probably.

Plan for cat six to be ran at least two spots in every room, with a home run of the mech room.  Good friend has a business doing it and should run to exterior for a camera system, 6-8 on the house with two inside the main kitchen area and living room basement area.

And the boss insisted on her Christmas lights.  They have built in lights now that you can change the color with your phone they are pretty awesome

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 15, 2018, 10:36:58 PM »
I believe you have to have an exterior standard door to the garage, not the house, for safety. With that big lot a rear roller would be nice.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »
the house I moved out of last year was a split level with a 3 car garage. there was no exterior door other than the main roller doors. I hear you on the omitting the extra door. a regular man door, out of side from the street view is a lot easier to break in through than the main rollers.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 16, 2018, 05:49:54 PM »
I have no walk out exterior door on my current three car garage. My last house had two separate walk out doors but the way the footprint to the house and garage was laid out I liked having both there in the country. Here in hippy land I’m grateful I have nothing but a overhead roller.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 16, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »
I think if I do move the door it will be to the back wall somewhere

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 16, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
I believe you have to have an exterior standard door to the garage, not the house, for safety.

I don't have one, but wish I did. My house was built 11 years ago though, and in a different locale.
Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 16, 2018, 08:27:19 PM »
Dave, like others mentioned, I'd throw a small 4'x4'-ish toilet room in the back left corner of the garage (easy plumbing to laundry room), with a utility sink on the outside wall of that room, then throw the exterior door next to that. Then you can put a work bench in the rear-right corner or whatever. toolbox, air compressor, etc...

I can draw a pic if you're a visual guy.
Ryan

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 16, 2018, 11:05:48 PM »
I can pose it to the builder and see what the additional cost is, I have joked about putting a urinal on the wall to use when needed. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 17, 2018, 02:58:32 AM »
Heck, I am using a cup upstairs when I work right now.

There is a sink next to that rear wall as the plans show. You could tap another drain into that easy as well as the water. A toilet might be a challenge as the others or are the far side of the house and it will need to be a 3 inch pipe for that. Heck a sink out there and a urinal would be a blessing when you are working on things.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 17, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
The mud room and laundry image is misleading.   I cheated it and didn’t pay the architect to draw the plan 100%. The elivation is out of wack.  My garage will have 8 steps into the mud room and the front door.  The space next to the mud room and garage will actually be about 5-6 feet taller than my garage floor and it will be cement (crawl space) storage if you will.  So the urinal is doable the toilet in the garage I just don’t think is going to happen. 

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 19, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »
8 steps... that's like 4+ feet. What I'm hearing now is that the ceiling will be high enough for a lift someday...  :grin:
Ryan

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 19, 2018, 12:25:25 PM »
Lift=GOOD

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 19, 2018, 01:11:26 PM »
8 steps... that's like 4+ feet. What I'm hearing now is that the ceiling will be high enough for a lift someday...  :grin:
Oh yes it will be really tall garage doors will be 15 feet tall aprox.  Loft will get built if that extra storage is trusty needed

Looking for brick color this week

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »
It needs a LIFT

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 19, 2018, 09:16:45 PM »
I could go for a lift for sure but I am not sure where in that garage I would put it.  The long side I would like to keep open for the enclosed trailer

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2018, 07:39:03 AM »
After we built our house, one thing I would have done different is run CAT6 along with the flood light wire to each corner of the house for future cameras.  It’s all spray foamed and no way to get wires there now. 
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 20, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »
I’ve seen installers hide cat 6 behind gutters. Use the direct burial garage. Cameras now are mostly PoE meaning you only need the cat cable to power and get the image data.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
Dave, I think this deserves its own build thread!

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal