Hello Guest

Author Topic: A/R Pistol build  (Read 9151 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
A/R Pistol build
« on: February 05, 2018, 06:45:28 PM »
So, the need has arisen to build a short AR based pistol with significant smack down power. So the Don will be embarking on creating a .300 AAC pistol with a brace. I decided on the 1-8 twist with a 10.5" barrel.

I used Amazon, AR-15.com and Aim to bring it all together. The only thing mising at this point is the stripped lower, which, in true Kintucky fashion will be the venerable Anderson unit built 10 miles from mi casa.

I set out to build the upper receiver myself, but in the end I was able to find a good fully assembled upper from AR-15 for less money, so here is the upper I will use:

I will be using a typical A2 birdcage flash hider unlike the pic
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A/R Pistol build
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »
I decided to go nickle-boron for the bolt since this is another gas-gun build and I have found these bolts to jam less than the nitrated ones the Velcro guys use.
It will be accompanied with the typical extended charging handle that gloved shooters like me like to use

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 06:50:47 PM »
I am being cost conscious with respect to some items of this build so the BUIS on this gun are aluminum Sig knockouts sold by Troy industries. I have them on my Sig .308 and love them so much, I am yet to scope that rifle.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 06:56:02 PM »
The "stock" will be the pistol Shock wave Blade

This stock screws into the buffer tube to lock it down in one of 12 selectable positions.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »
I am using the Bravo Company enhanced lower parts kit with their better trigger and grip along with the other mil-spec parts and a curved trigger cover

I also picked up an ambi safety just for grins, although I don't use the right side normally on my sig, but I may work that into my training regiment.

So for now the parts are in transit somewhere and I'll be posting up as they come in and I build up the rest of the weapon.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
And for the primary sight, this time I will use the Eotech which uses "AA" batteries.

In the past i have gone stupid expensive on the ACOG, with the optic costing more than the rifle, but I keep going back to the standard (daily) argument between our gunners in Baghdad. One group went strictly for the ACOG and the other for the Eotech. There may have been a red-dot guy in there but they would have fired him for cause! Having seen these rifles banged off of helicopter skids and other gunners heads enough, I know the sight is stout. Well, last Christmas this $550ish sight was on a crazy sale for either 350 or $325 so I jumped on it...But needed a rifle to mount it on. The sig is a reacher-out-there, so that is a no go. The other M4's wear ACOG or something, and the bump-stock gun just uses iron sights.

Anyway for this very close range (100 meters and in) this Eotech will do very nicely me thinks.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 07:47:01 PM »
this time I will use the Eotech which uses "AA" batteries.

Anyway for this very close range (100 meters and in) this Eotech will do very nicely me thinks.

I might have an extra battery compartment in a tote somewhere. I'll have to look, if I find it, I'll send it down your way. I didn't do the battery compartment upgrade but its not hard to call EoTech and get the stuff sent to you then do it.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 08:45:07 PM »
this time I will use the Eotech which uses "AA" batteries.

I might have an extra battery compartment in a tote somewhere. I'll have to look, if I find it, I'll send it down your way. I didn't do the battery compartment upgrade but its not hard to call EoTech and get the stuff sent to you then do it.

So, Bobby, you used the Eotech?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:45:59 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 09:00:28 PM »
I like the eotech but I did have one fail. They sent me a new one for a very reduced price even though it was out of warranty.  It now resides on my saiga.  Both the comp m4 and the m2 are solid so far. I traded off the acog but wish I had it back.  I like the acog with dr optic on top resting on a mid or full length AR. For tired eyes like mine it works to 300 pretty well.

I wish I could find time to build something weapon related now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 09:11:49 PM »
What's this battery box thing Bobby? Mine eats batteries for lunch.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:37:49 AM »
Nice Don, very close to one I have in 300aac, but just a buffer tube for now.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 08:12:59 AM »
So, Bobby, you used the Eotech?

I did. I've used the ACOG, Aimpoint M68s & M4s, and EoTechs while I was overseas. I prefer the battery life on the Aimpoints and the reticle on the EoTech. Combine those and I'd love it.

What's this battery box thing Bobby? Mine eats batteries for lunch.

It's not so much of an upgrade, more of a fix. You replace the dogbone and spring ( If I'm remembering correctly) at the base of the compartment with a newer version that EoTech will send you for free. Takes maybe 5 minutes. What model do you have?

Here's a better pic of it. But I'd still call EoTech or L3 or whatever and ask for the parts.
http://www.primaryarms.com/eotech-battery-compartment-repair-kit-models-517-557-555-516-556-553-su231-9-cr2030
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:19:07 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 09:21:04 AM »
Bobby, thanks for that info on the eotech :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »
Bobby, thanks for that info on the eotech :likebutton:

No problem. I didn't know about it until I called and asked about something battery related and they told me about the upgrade. So I pass it on when I see something pertinent.

But I'd love to have a new EXPS model or whatever its called.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
512.A65:

EOTech® 512.A65 / 1 Reflex Sight is the tactical optic for any individual or agency needing the best in speed and versatility. Holographic image sighting for a true, "2 eyes open" heads-up display and wide field of view. That means unmatched speed and awareness in target acquisition. 2 brightness adjustments for all conditions, and with holography. Even if the window is partially obstructed by mud, snow or rain, it's fully operational.

65 MOA circle with 1 MOA aiming dot reticle
Front window is 1/8" solid glass, rear is shatter-resistant laminate
Waterproof, submersible to 10'. Fogproof with a nitrogen-purged optical cavity. Temperature range from -40° to +150°F
Scroll through 20 brightness settings for visibility in any light
Tool-less mounting bolt fits a standard 1" Weaver® style dovetail or a Picatinny rail
1/2 MOA click adjustment
Unlimited eye relief
Non-reflective black hardcoat finish and rugged aluminum hood assembly
Uses 2 AA lithium, alkaline or rechargeable batteries (not included) and an auto shutoff feature for up to 1,000 continuous hours of use
Measures only 5.6" x 2" x 2.5"h
Key Specifications
Item Number: 139661
Magnification: 1X
Reticle: 68 MOA ring with 1 MOA dot
Eye Relief: Unlimited
Field of View @ 100 yds.: 30’ at 1X (at 3" eye relief)
Adjustment Gradation: 1/2 MOA
Max. Elevation Adjustment: 40 MOA
Max. Windage Adjustment: 40 MOA
Waterproof: Yes, submersible to 10'
Fogproof: Yes
Battery: 2 AA
Battery Life: 600 hrs.
Dimensions: 5.6" x 2" x 2.5"
Weight: 11.1 oz.
Mfg. Number: 512A65

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 12:46:02 PM »
512.A65:

I think that's their base model, but still a viable option for most people. As for the thermal shift, that people have/had been talking about I've never experienced it. Granted I wasn't HALOing into the North or South Pole then immediately going into a hot desert environment. I always used to re-zero or reconfirm my zero between the hot and cold seasons.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
512.A65:

I think that's their base model, but still a viable option for most people. As for the thermal shift, that people have/had been talking about I've never experienced it. Granted I wasn't HALOing into the North or South Pole then immediately going into a hot desert environment. I always used to re-zero or reconfirm my zero between the hot and cold seasons.
Good info, Bobbee

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 06:38:24 PM »
Bobby, couldn't find a # on it anywhere, but pretty sure it's like Don's, a 512.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 08:08:40 PM »
Bobby, couldn't find a # on it anywhere, but pretty sure it's like Don's, a 512.

If it uses the AA's just call and ask them if there is the battery compartment upgrades or parts available. They should be able to hook you up pretty soon with them. I think it helps with battery life. They are pretty good about stuff like that, their customer service is pretty good. Also if you can read the serial number off the sticker they can use that to help you out.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:10:50 PM by BobbyB »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 10:20:32 PM »
Thanks Bobby. I was reading the battery life on Don's post up there, and chuckled out loud.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 12:12:43 AM »
Thanks Bobby. I was reading the battery life on Don's post up there, and chuckled out loud.
My other Eotech uses the CR23 batteries. And they did not last very long at all.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 06:12:18 AM »

600 is realistic. He'll either have the option for a 4 hr shutoff or an 8 hr auto shutoff.

My other Eotech uses the CR23 batteries. And they did not last very long at all.

Which model is that? If you call EoTech ask them if there's something for that.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 10:52:40 AM »
Will those flip ups co-witness with the eo tech?

"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
I couldn’t stand the “bird cage” on my 10.5. Might consider an upgrade to a noveske pig or something. Keeps all the blast out front. First time I shot my issued 10.5 colt in a confined space, (mud hut hallway)I thought I had a flash bang det on my IBA. That was .556. Can’t imagine .300!

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
Will those flip ups co-witness with the eo tech?

They said that these would co-witness, but who knows

The price point was so agreeable, I spent the $40 just to find out. Troy Battle sights (My go to) are a couple hundred spendy. They don't work here, I'll weld em to some shotgun or AK somewhere like we did downrange to some of that crappy captured rusky stuff.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
I couldn’t stand the “bird cage” on my 10.5. Might consider an upgrade to a noveske pig or something. Keeps all the blast out front. First time I shot my issued 10.5 colt in a confined space, (mud hut hallway)I thought I had a flash bang det on my IBA. That was .556. Can’t imagine .300!

It came that way, will look around. Have to shoot it first and form my opinions.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »

It came that way, will look around. Have to shoot it first and form my opinions.
Plugs and muffs brother! Not for you, but whoever is beside you! Lol

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
BCM gunfighter muzzle device.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »
I agree on the BC, but the 300 is a diff round designed to be used with a short barrel and heavy round.

It's more like a pistol round and can be reloaded with pistol and shotgun powder, so I understand.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 10:35:38 PM »
I agree on the BC, but the 300 is a diff round designed to be used with a short barrel and heavy round.

It's more like a pistol round and can be reloaded with pistol and shotgun powder, so I understand.

What I thought

I think the 220 gr load is subsonic, yet penetrates 32 in of gelatin! Tht is something unheard of in the .22 world. Makes this .300 a bunker buster.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 09:37:14 PM »
So, here we go, pieces are arriving, that's the good news

Bad news is that I just found out I get to go into surgery tomorrow afternoon, so it may be a little bit before I get to actually assemble this stuff

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 09:39:11 PM »
I tend to like the Bravo Company stuff, so I just picked up their enhanced lower parts kit, and I'll use their grip this time

I liked the mag-pul trigger guard, and this BC one looks like it fills in the front a bit better:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 09:43:46 PM »
The Anderson Arms stripped lower receiver quality has improved a ton. They are literally almost right next door, and Chuck who just sold me this lower said he had a conversation recently with them. He had returned all his lowers to them which were replaced with these new much higher precision units. So, I'm going to give them a shot...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 09:45:15 PM »
The buffer tube, spring, nut, washer thing and buffer look pretty normal, except for the 12 holes that appear in the tube making it a little different than a rifle buffer tube
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:46:02 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
Then the other part, the blade seems like it would support rifle or pistol operations, although not much for shoulder contact if you used it rifle style.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 09:50:23 PM »
Gotta admit, the cheapo BUIS are looking pretty nice!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 09:51:15 PM »
Scout approved!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 10:26:03 PM »
You could take it with you. Give you something to do during pre/post-op. :)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2018, 12:25:03 AM »
Oh yeah, build your AR while in pre op.

I bet someone makes a pad for that pistol grip.

Good luck tomorrow!~!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 05:27:03 AM »
so it may be a little bit before I get to actually assemble this stuff

You will have time to assemble when you're laid up recovering. Plus it'll give you something simple to do to pass the time.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
You could take it with you. Give you something to do during pre/post-op. :)
You're always thinkin!

Good idea!

New short story...AR's in the OR

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 09:25:33 AM »
If you only take the upper and play with that, it’s not a firearm, right?  They shouldn’t have any problem with that.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »
If you only take the upper and play with that, it’s not a firearm, right?  They shouldn’t have any problem with that.
Good point!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2018, 11:43:26 AM »
My bet is they would not look at it that way.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2018, 05:49:30 PM »
Knowing many in the medical field you want to save any criticism or offensive statements until AFTER the surgery or treatment.

Once they hit you with propofol, they own you.  You may wind up in some bad selfies somewhere doing really embarrassing things
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2018, 11:18:06 PM »
....  You may wind up in some bad selfies somewhere doing really embarrassing things

Charles, no worries, have you seen his build threads?

Hopefully he's too drugged up to read this.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2018, 11:51:50 PM »
maybe we should send hime a gift basket?

Geritol,Metamucil, viagra, and some prune juice .....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2018, 12:41:20 AM »
In that order?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2018, 01:58:23 PM »
OK, Operation is in the rear view mirror.

I am sore about the knee, but the terrible pain is gone and I am told I am now Meniscus free!

So in recovery today at home, I decided to take advantage of the time.

So with the morning's mail delivery a complete .300 AAC upper showed up and after that it was off to the races.
Everyone was in attendance for the build or lurking nearby:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »
Parts and tools assembled and ready to proceed