Hello Guest

Author Topic: Precision Rifle Thread  (Read 18500 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Precision Rifle Thread
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2015, 10:56:54 PM »
That's priceless.
I have spent plenty of time in the CH-53's and CH-47's and hanging from them, (spy rigging) repelling and fast roping.

I have flown a Cessna 172 when I was contemplating getting my PPL. But I have always loved the helo's.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Airplane flyin' is nothing like helo flying. Airplanes, even jets are easy (and boring) and no helicopter I have ever piloted fits either of those descriptors.

I'd take a 2,000 helo pilot any day over a 10,000 hour airplane pilot. Unless the airplane guy was bush flying in the Alaska.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »
I agree... Would rather fly a helo.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2015, 08:21:14 AM »
Not a bad group for stock stick, inexpensive glass and factory ammo.

I do believe that's somewhat better than not bad.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »

He's sand baggin' Bobby...Marine...They do that you know. Try and lead we Army folks down the path then pull out the gotcha!

Not gonna pull anything over on an Airborne NCO...You got him!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2015, 10:10:40 AM »
I'm just a dumb wrenchturner and I had that one figured out!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2015, 10:48:59 AM »
Nothing dumb about a GOOD wrench turner, Kenneth!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »
I was at a gunshop a couple months ago, and there was a custom Remington 700 action for sale at a cool $1,200. Oh how I wanted to snag it.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2015, 11:49:29 AM »
I was at a gunshop a couple months ago, and there was a custom Remington 700 action for sale at a cool $1,200. Oh how I wanted to snag it.

Pics or you know it didn't happen..... :D
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2015, 12:28:45 PM »

Pics or you know it didn't happen..... :D

http://defiancemachine.com/deviant-tactical/

That's the one I saw.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Precision Rifle Thread
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
Only pic I have of my do it all bolt gun with my SCAR

It's a Ruger MK77 tactical in .243. Factory 20" barrel, factory Hogue stock.  Hawke 5X20 scope.   

I keep telling myself I'm going to upgrade glass but I haven't been shooting much the past couple of years so it's fallen on the back burner.

I originally bought it in Montana as a dedicated prairie dog gun.  Loaded some hot 55gr varmint loads for it and absolutely loved it for that.  Got a few hits on them at 400+ yards.  With a target not much bigger than a squirrel I think that's pretty good.  Very flat shooting caliber so mostly just used holdovers if I got out really far.  Took a couple shots at over 600 yards and didn't hit them but I know they felt the wind.

I realized though when shooting a long ways that a 55gr bullet is really affected by wind so I've been trying to figure out a factory load it likes since I've been on the road and can't load for it anymore.   

Don't have any paper targets that I kept to show groups. But it's more accurate then me that's for sure. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:50:40 PM by husker77c »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2015, 01:23:49 AM »
my SCAR

I like them, don't like the price, don't like the Ugg boot hanging off the back.

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2015, 08:12:08 AM »

He's sand baggin' Bobby...Marine...They do that you know. Try and lead we Army folks down the path then pull out the gotcha!

Not gonna pull anything over on an Airborne NCO...You got him!
Thank for the vote of confidence there Don...
It was shot from the bench on bipods and a balled up fist under the stock. Sand bags don't have a heart beat and when your shooting on 40 power at 100 yds that's what you have to time to squeeze off a group like that.

That same day a guy I met at the range had his $2700 custom Surgeon with NF glass and still couldn't top that group.

Still I enjoy the back and forth banter.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »
Bobby I almost forgot your request about the bipod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2016, 02:34:39 AM »
Bobby I almost forgot your request about the bipod.

Danke. I figured you'd get around to it once you had a spare moment.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:35:27 AM by BobbyB »

OldKooT

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »
My idea of Precision is a 45.70 Lever. Then again I use a chainsaw to cut maple flooring, and I have been known to roto-till a garden with a skid steer...and well, 45.70...because if you can't hit it at long distances, well you clearly have not aimed high enough.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »
I was talking to this ballistics genius yesterday for maybe an hour and a half.

His specialty was getting guns to really work, as in ultra accuracy. He was talking about some of his favorite cartridges. Number one was a custom thing that started with a .404 Jefferies necked down to .338!

Up there with light artillery, but it was a long range drill bit. Out to around 450 meters he liked his .257 Roberts, and inside 300M he preferred his .222 Rem. He said either of those guns would send the rounds through the same hole, although with the .257 fried from a Browning lever action, he could get three accurate shots from a cold gun, then the rounds would walk.

He has won some national events as a shooter himself. He liked old Savage barreled actions. Also Mauser, Remington and Sako actions. He said he could seldom get a .300 Win Mag to perform to those standards and he was not a big fan of the .223 or the semi auto guns.

OldKooT

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2016, 11:42:58 AM »
Don...funny you mention that. I was out yesterday shooting a few rounds with the local LEO types. They were sporting some fancy hardware, most personal rifles they have built. We got into a discussion regarding long range shots. They were giving me a hard time for shooting a antique "sks yesterday" And I pointed out that it's ok with me if they can "widen" holes at 200 yards....when the one fella asked me why I was unconcerned with my group I said the following. "ever see someone shot? They don't hold still, so your sec shot will not be in the same hole...and besides who wants to shoot a person in the same place twice? DUH!

Target shooters amuse me LoL

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »
Don...funny you mention that. I was out yesterday shooting a few rounds with the local LEO types. They were sporting some fancy hardware, most personal rifles they have built. We got into a discussion regarding long range shots. They were giving me a hard time for shooting a antique "sks yesterday" And I pointed out that it's ok with me if they can "widen" holes at 200 yards....when the one fella asked me why I was unconcerned with my group I said the following. "ever see someone shot? They don't hold still, so your sec shot will not be in the same hole...and besides who wants to shoot a person in the same place twice? DUH!

Target shooters amuse me LoL

This guy I was talking to yesterday is from Texas. He was up at the knob creek machine gun shoot this year with that .257. That draw is like a box canyon about 1/4 mile deep. He got into a bet. 4 shooters, one shot at a time, last guy out eats prime rib off the other three's dime.
The target was a .30-.30 brass case stood up on end. They set the brass up on a car which was used as a machine gun target which I'd guess is 400 meters out.
Well he hit it first round, and no one else could hit it at all...He's known in these parts as quite the rifleman. I'd put him in mid late 60's...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »
please tell me at 400M that was a standing or kneeling shot and not prone....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »
please tell me at 400M that was a standing or kneeling shot and not prone....
Sorry, can't

Bench...

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »
Even off the bench that was some darn good shooting if he only took one shot total. I don't own scope enough to even see a 30/30 case at that distance let alone hit one first shot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2016, 12:37:33 PM »
Even off the bench that was some darn good shooting if he only took one shot total. I don't own scope enough to even see a 30/30 case at that distance let alone hit one first shot.
Bobby, this guy has some strange optics. He likes those old Leopold scopes with the windage and elevation adjustment in the mount! Ever see that ancient external scope adjustment?

He was telling me he only uses Burris scope mounts. Reason: the burris mounts inner bore is larger than the scope OD. Burris offers bushings offset .010, .020" and so forth. You can use then to get what he was calling optic perfect. That is perfect alignment of the scope axis with the bore centerline. If the scope is offset a bit you could use them to shift the scope left or right that small amount.

He is a bit of a fanatic. He even resizes the inside/outside of the cartridge neck. He says it's very important to introduce the bullet into the chamber exactly aligned. And offset causes a bit of pressure that manifests as a tiny bit of wobble when the bullet leaves the barrel...

I believe this guy could make a shot like that.

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2016, 02:07:17 PM »

I've been using those Burris rings. The Signature Zee. Nice rings. As well as being adjustable, they won't leave ring marks on the scope.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2016, 07:29:42 PM »
Oh, I re-read and now I get it.  I thought you meant a 30 cal ammo can on end.  I should slow down and actually read.

In that case, that was a nice shot.  Kneeling would have been un-believable. :-)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2016, 09:11:19 PM »
Hey guys, looking to find a budget friendly stock for my .308 rifle. It's an older Remington 40X action with tuned 40X trigger and a custom 20" barrel with Obermeyer chamber. I've been looking for a decent stock, but the only downside with the ones I've seen, like the HS Precision stocks on the Rem 700 5R is that they all use the hinged floor plate (ie. BDL) bottom metal. I do like the MDT HS3, which is even made in Canada, but it's still up there in cost once you put a decent butt on it (ie. Magpul PRS or MDT Skeleton etc).

I guess one question would be, is hinged floor plate really much worse than DBM?

I've got an EGW scope rail and a harris bipod. But will be needing a scope as well. Scopes sure have gotten expensive since I last bought one a few years ago. I guess weaker Canadian dollar isn't helping either.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2016, 10:10:36 PM »
DBM is great if you are shooting competitions.  If you are hunting or otherwise using it normally, hinged floor plate is fine.  You won't get three shots off on an animal anyway, to have to worry about having more round than that.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2016, 02:07:55 AM »
Hey guys, looking to find a budget friendly stock for my .308 rifle. It's an older Remington 40X action with tuned 40X trigger and a custom 20" barrel with Obermeyer chamber. I've been looking for a decent stock, but the only downside with the ones I've seen, like the HS Precision stocks on the Rem 700 5R is that they all use the hinged floor plate (ie. BDL) bottom metal. I do like the MDT HS3, which is even made in Canada, but it's still up there in cost once you put a decent butt on it (ie. Magpul PRS or MDT Skeleton etc).

I guess one question would be, is hinged floor plate really much worse than DBM?

I've got an EGW scope rail and a harris bipod. But will be needing a scope as well. Scopes sure have gotten expensive since I last bought one a few years ago. I guess weaker Canadian dollar isn't helping either.

Like a hunting style stock or something more "tactical" ?

Take a gander at Bell and Carlson stocks. They are pretty nice, but not as crazy priced as other stocks.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2016, 07:47:29 AM »
Yeah sorry, should have mentioned, it's not a hunting rifle, though I may get out on a trip in Alberta some year, but otherwise isn't for hunting. I would use it for target shooting and for PRS style shooting, although where I am we certainly don't have any courses like the GAP Grind or anything like that! We'd be doing mostly known distance shooting at static and moving targets etc. My action it kind of cool, as it has a rear clip slot for pushing a clip of ammo in (which won't be much good with a scope on there though).

I'm also looking for a decent scope. I've used Nightforce and Sightron before and both were excellent, but NF is surely too expensive this time around. The Vortex any good? How about the Bushnells?

OldKooT

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »
I am trying a Vortex on this Ar I am tossing together from left over pieces of tacti cool builds others have done. It's also used but that being my point... it's spent 2 years on a .458So Com Ar and it's still clear clean and 100% which given the price...good enough for me.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2016, 09:20:13 AM »
Yeah sorry, should have mentioned, it's not a hunting rifle, though I may get out on a trip in Alberta some year, but otherwise isn't for hunting. I would use it for target shooting and for PRS style shooting, although where I am we certainly don't have any courses like the GAP Grind or anything like that! We'd be doing mostly known distance shooting at static and moving targets etc. My action it kind of cool, as it has a rear clip slot for pushing a clip of ammo in (which won't be much good with a scope on there though).

I'm also looking for a decent scope. I've used Nightforce and Sightron before and both were excellent, but NF is surely too expensive this time around. The Vortex any good? How about the Bushnells?

B&C, McMillian are good stocks. You can sometimes find AI stocks that people swap out for sale.

Vortex scopes are nice. The PSTs are a good starter point. If you want to step up to the GEN 2 HD line, well then even better. I haven't seen or looked through one but heard they are amazing.

The NFs I've looked though have been nice as well, good glass and turrets, stupidly tough.

Leupold same as the above.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal