Hello Guest

Author Topic: back up equipment preperations  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
back up equipment preperations
« on: August 05, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »
so I am sure that a lot of you have a deep freeze and have it stocked pretty good.  do any of you have contingency plans incase it happens to die on yah?  if so what are they?

I have a small fridge in the kitchen that gets condiments and a day or 2 of food or the leftovers, I have an upright fridge/freezer in the laundry room that big stuff gets put into (like a rubbed pork butt that needs to rest a day or 2) a couple things of coffee creamer and the ice maker and water spout get used on it as well, not much use for the freezer because its a bit too small.  and I have a big upright deep freeze that has all the frozen meats, breads, fruits, etc.  if one of those were to poop on me then I have a small chest freezer out in the storage shed as an oh crap emergency.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
Re: back up preperations
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 08:02:47 PM »
I have a big SxS in the house and a small SxS in the garage.  I'm more concerned with power loss, especially at the weekend place. Am undecided on back up power. Either propane or diesel. No natural gas where I am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
If you have any extra space in the freezers you can freeze bottles of water to fill up the rest of the space. That will hold the temp longer if the power goes out and stores you more fresh water.  Only buys you time though if the power goes out.   Quick and dirty is a generator. Run it just long enough to keep your stuff frozen and or cold. 

I researched solar panels and a battery bank for a freezer back when I actually lived in a house and had a freezer.  It is doable but to have 100% redundancy was pricey.  But if you have 6 months worth of meat in a big freezer how much is it worth to us to be able to keep it if the power goes out?

If the freezer actually breaks well then start cooking or drying.  When I get back into a house and can grow my garden again I'm planning on building a solar dehydrator so I don't rely on the freezer show much.  If you have canning supplies you could can most of what you keep in the freezer.

None of those suggestions would be very fun to do under the pressure of knowing you only have a few hour time window before you start spoiling. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:38:01 PM »
True. My issue at hand is that I'm only at my place every weekend or every other weekend so I need automated power back up. Working on it. Diesel has more power per unit than propane but propane never goes bad.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:45:04 PM »
This reminds me that I need another freezer. Mine get full of beef and pork in the winter when we butcher. I always run out of space.

RN
In your case I would go propane over diesel for sure. The diesel standbys we have at work are always giving us problems. They don't like to just sit. We do run them once a week, but usually have to work on them every week too. The natural gas standbys we have just crank and run for half an hour every week with very few issues. Keep a couple extra sets of plugs, a few oil filters, and a rebuild kit for the metering valve/carb/whatever you want to call it just in case and you're good to go.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:49:46 PM »
This reminds me that I need another freezer. Mine get full of beef and pork in the winter when we butcher. I always run out of space.

RN
In your case I would go propane over diesel for sure. The diesel standbys we have at work are always giving us problems. They don't like to just sit. We do run them once a week, but usually have to work on them every week too. The natural gas standbys we have just crank and run for half an hour every week with very few issues. Keep a couple extra sets of plugs, a few oil filters, and a rebuild kit for the metering valve/carb/whatever you want to call it just in case and you're good to go.
Yes
Propane or natural gas and a gas engine
At Ft Campbell, in the basement were two 454 Chevy big blocks running the water pumps for each barracks. They ran on natural gas and their oil pans connected to a 55 gallon drum of motor oil. These motors ran all the time for years, decades and were only shut down when the buildings were torn down.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 06:01:41 AM »
If you're looking at a gas back up generator you can also price out a solar array and battery bank for close to the same money.   While the gas unit will provide more power in the short term. If you look at a more long term power issue then solar starts to make more sense.   Natural gas compressors can be shut off in a long term scenario.  And propane will eventually run out.  Solar batteries have a life span as well but you're talking 5 years or more.  You'd be hard pressed to store enough propane to last that long running a genny.   solar would free you from the grid in a worst case scenario for far longer.  Just something to think about. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 06:40:56 AM »
Thanks. I have longer term plans for a grid tied solar system with off grid components standing by to be put in play if the grid goes down. I've not completed the research but I believe I can get rolls batteries un filled and then add acid when I want to bring them on line.

For short term outages Id like more conventional back up.  Since I was planning on bulk storing diesel for the tractor and truck and that diesel gen sets are more efficient per gallon I was leaning mil surp diesel but sounds like a propane system is the right way to go.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »
Yeah you can't beat a gen set for simplicity and good peace of mind knowing it will work.   that's also a good idea about having the solar batteries on standby ready to add acid.  That would significantly prolong their life.  Especially at a remote location that might not need the solar until you move permanently.   Gonna put that idea in the old brain pan for later.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 12:18:24 PM »
Thanks Nate!

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 03:16:31 PM »
We have a Onan Propane powered auto start model for the house. It has real deal performance in so far as it's been situation tested during a multitude of long term power outages. It's required very little maintenance and has over 2500 hours on it. Not sure if that helps but we are satisfied Onan owners.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »
We have a Onan Propane powered auto start model for the house. It has real deal performance in so far as it's been situation tested during a multitude of long term power outages. It's required very little maintenance and has over 2500 hours on it. Not sure if that helps but we are satisfied Onan owners.

Hey Norm, how much propane does it use. What size is it, around 10K? Bigger?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »
Norm is it an 1800 or 3600 RPM unit?

OldKooT

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 10:12:01 PM »
It's a older Onan JC 15kw model. 1800 rpm. I bought it used off the hospital, it was used to power their ambulance building radios and heat/doors. It was basically brand new hours wise, but they were required to upgrade.

As for fuel consumption I am unsure exactly. It's hooked to a 1000gal underground tank. I seem to remember reading it was just about or just over 2gal an hour at full load in the service manual.

It's been reliable for us as has the farms large diesel Onan system and our RV's 6.5kw Propane Onan. I just change the oil and filters and forget about them for the most part. Well and I run them once every few months to make sure they work, battery's are charged and so forth.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 05:17:26 PM »
2 GPH at 15KW is not bad

But who uses 15KW?

Unless you're weldin' and Miss Kay is grindin'

All at the same time the kids are cookin and playin their electric guitars!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
Don't we have a EE on the forum somewhere?  Maybe a primer on sizing of a gen set based on load, type of load, start up load, etc.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »
Don't we have a EE on the forum somewhere?  Maybe a primer on sizing of a gen set based on load, type of load, start up load, etc.
RedNeck, need I say anything???

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »
Some info here on generator sizing.

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/understandingloads.html

It's a very general looking guide, but lays out the basics for sure.

My experiences:
Honda EU2000 inverter generator, very fuel efficient, rated 13.3 amps continuous.
Will power "Most" 15 amp corded power tools...may not run them however.
Is the cabin "House Unit", 1-200 hours per month, will not die.

Honda EM3500, PMG, loud, 3600RPM continuous, 23 amps continuous
Will "Run" all 15 amp corded tools.

Coleman 8650, PMG, 5500 Watt continuous, 13Hp Honda motor, thirsty at full load.
4 each 15A receptacles, 1 ea 120/240 30A twist lock. A ton of power in your hands here
Runs my 240 mig like nothing is there. Doesn't flinch with skillsaw starts, chop saw starts etc.
I ran 3 campers on it one summer, mine full service 30A, and two others @ 15A each.

Size matters, but too much is just wasting gas IMO.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 05:18:30 PM »
I have an EU2000.... love it! Eco-throttle is awesome, and soooo quiet.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »
would there be any objections to me moving this thread under the "hide site" area or ?? and re-naming it "back up equipment"/"back up preparations"/"??"

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
Don't think so Nate.
Had a heck of a time finding it to throw my .02 about my genny's up. Knew it was somewhere but that likely make more sense.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal