Hello Guest

Author Topic: CIEMR How much stuff do you have?  (Read 1208 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
CIEMR How much stuff do you have?
« on: July 07, 2020, 05:10:10 PM »
How much stuff do you have?

A Short CIEMR

by Don Harward

When you have stuff, you spend a lot of time keeping it protected, serviced, repaired, up to date, painted, properly groomed, lubed and tuned. We sacrifice for these things, we accumulate things, we use and wear out and replace and upgrade. And we think and worry, and plan for even more acquisitions.

And all the while sunsets and sunrises that are magnificent go unnoticed. Roads go untraveled. Friends move into forgotten corners of our busy lives, and life becomes more about paying for, paying off, working, competing at the workplace,  and accumulating wealth, while we keep missing birthdays, and anniversaries. Instead we score on a deal for some piece of junk that will rest in some corner of your cluttered garage and never fulfil your vision for it.

We stop hiking, canoeing, skiing, riding, sightseeing, trail riding, and miss a thousand cool places to stop and eat and meet other people. We are not available to have chats and moments with our children, wives and husbands, aunts and uncles, and some of them pas on to eternity leaving us with regrets.

There is a price to be paid for having wealth and things, and many will not learn of it until the long years of life have produced wisdom for some that will only echo millions of missed opportunities.

We become slaves to our possessions, and I for one am going to become a bit less enslaved!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:22:53 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: How much stuff do you have?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 06:16:38 PM »
Not to be captain obvious but didn’t you just buy a couple large material purchases?  :popcorn:

Edit: just ran across your other post, still keeping the house up north? You spoke of selling that a year or so ago.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:23:34 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »
Not to be captain obvious but didn’t you just buy a couple large material purchases?  :popcorn:

Edit: just ran across your other post, still keeping the house up north? You spoke of selling that a year or so ago.
Downsizing into the side by sides is part of the simplification thing. Spend more time doing family activities and less time working on things

Big mansion is staying, I'm told.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »
I came to this realization last summer. I spent many weekends dragging flooded campers out to a friend's place. Yea they were free. Yea I probably came out ahead in the long run with the free parts and stuff we sold. But it took time. Quite a few weekends that I should have been at the river with the family I was out messing around with that junk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »
Good example Jon

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 01:00:31 PM »
Do you have been saying it just not in the correct form for years.   Work begets more work,     “ more stuff means more things to fix, pay for, replace, store, clean, transport, 

One of the reasons I keep putting off a rider mower, a SXS   I don’t want to store or maintain the big monsters. Dirtbikes at least lean against a wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 09:49:54 PM »
Guilty for sure, almost a sickness.

Don, you are thinking about selling the Farm?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 08:59:24 AM »
Guilty for sure, almost a sickness.

Don, you are thinking about selling the Farm?
No, I think that can stay forever and not be a big burden if I maintain and stop building a disney entertainment park out of it

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
Saw that in the other threads. You can always upgrade it with the Kubota. You have the big stuff done and with the right attachment it will do almost anything.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »
Saw that in the other threads. You can always upgrade it with the Kubota. You have the big stuff done and with the right attachment it will do almost anything.
You're right about that.
The pond is mostly dug, just need to scoop some big rocks out from the depths and I can send that big boy on its way. I will miss it, I love running that

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 06:44:23 PM »
Maybe something a little smaller later. Just like a good tractor, I can see the use for a decent BH all the time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 09:23:18 PM »
A rubber tire backhoe loader is a good all around piece.  I like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
Wish you were closer to Idaho. That big hoe would come in handy, albeit a little overkill for what I have planned.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 10:36:27 PM »
Just what I need right now. Ken, we are practically neighbors!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 11:53:16 PM »
I'm going to need a bigger trailer, and truck.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 08:25:03 AM »
I'm going to need a bigger trailer, and truck.

Nah, just rent the equipment for a couple days. Much less expensive in long run.  :wink:

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 11:15:24 PM »

A Short CIEMR

by Don Harward

When you have stuff, you spend a lot of time keeping it protected, serviced, repaired, up to date, painted, properly groomed, lubed and tuned. We sacrifice for these things, we accumulate things, we use and wear out and replace and upgrade. And we think and worry, and plan for even more acquisitions.

And all the while sunsets and sunrises that are magnificent go unnoticed. Roads go untraveled. Friends move into forgotten corners of our busy lives, and life becomes more about paying for, paying off, working, competing at the workplace,  and accumulating wealth, while we keep missing birthdays, and anniversaries. Instead we score on a deal for some piece of junk that will rest in some corner of your cluttered garage and never fulfil your vision for it.

We stop hiking, canoeing, skiing, riding, sightseeing, trail riding, and miss a thousand cool places to stop and eat and meet other people. We are not available to have chats and moments with our children, wives and husbands, aunts and uncles, and some of them pas on to eternity leaving us with regrets.

There is a price to be paid for having wealth and things, and many will not learn of it until the long years of life have produced wisdom for some that will only echo millions of missed opportunities.

We become slaves to our possessions, and I for one am going to become a bit less enslaved!

I ask myself this same question EVERYDAY, I think we have all said to ourselves why don't I just buy or pay someone to do it and be done with it.

Its how YOU/WE are wired, its what made you an exceptional aviator to never quit to always never stop flying the aircraft no matter how bad things got because you are the PIC.

I think its also some level of enjoyment/satisfaction of doing the job making it how you want it, just think all the time you are in a situation saying to yourself "this would be really cool if" its a never ending cycle.  its also the people you meet the experiences you gain and the knowledge you can give to someone else.

I learned very young you either have LOTS of TIME or MONEY and  NO TIME to spend it.  Then if you do spend the money you have no time to enjoy what you bought or there are changes you want to make .  Even if you buy it there will ALWAYS be something you want to change or add. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 11:35:22 PM »

A Short CIEMR

by Don Harward

I ask myself this same question EVERYDAY, I think we have all said to ourselves why don't I just buy or pay someone to do it and be done with it.

Its how YOU/WE are wired, its what made you an exceptional aviator to never quit to always never stop flying the aircraft no matter how bad things got because you are the PIC.

I think its also some level of enjoyment/satisfaction of doing the job making it how you want it, just think all the time you are in a situation saying to yourself "this would be really cool if" its a never ending cycle.  its also the people you meet the experiences you gain and the knowledge you can give to someone else.

I learned very young you either have LOTS of TIME or MONEY and  NO TIME to spend it.  Then if you do spend the money you have no time to enjoy what you bought or there are changes you want to make .  Even if you buy it there will ALWAYS be something you want to change or add.

Well said Phil  :likebutton:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »
Want me to fed-ex it out to ya's?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 01:56:37 AM »
Doesn't the post office have one of those If-it-fits-it-ships boxes?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2020, 10:02:26 AM »
Doesn't the post office have one of those If-it-fits-it-ships boxes?
Bit big, but I can check for ya

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »
That would work!!! I think for "machine parts" they ship without a box. I need a dozer. Neighbor kid has a track loader and a big AC backhoe, both are in the shop per say.

Little dozers look tempting, but $$$.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal