Hello Guest

Author Topic: Trek Fuel EX-7  (Read 6512 times)

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
Trek Fuel EX-7
« on: August 02, 2015, 08:49:32 AM »
So, what are you going to do for transportation when you run out of diesel or gasoline? 

How far can you walk in a day?

How much can you carry on your back?

What kind of physical shape (conditioning) are you in?

My wife and I bought a mountain bike for my son (age 10) for his birthday in early July.  His enthusiasm upon receiving the bike and his relentless pleadings for me to go for a ride with him prompted me to take a walk out to the big garage and head up the stairs.

Back in the corner, behind several rolls of insulation and a stack of rough-cut Ash and Walnut boards, I found a dusty, flat-tired, old Giant ATX-760 leaning up against the wall in a corner.  The right-hand gearshift and brake levers were snapped clean off, casualty of a rough ride down a steep, heavily wooded hillside that ended in what was reported to be a spectacular wipe-out.  I didn't find out about the incident until several months after the driver of the bike, my oldest daughter's previous BF, left for the Marine Corps.  Typical USMC Knuckle-head… I would have enjoyed being there for the crash…

I pulled the bike out from the corner and brought it down into the basement of the house and placed it in a bicycle maintenance stand.  I took a bucket of warm, soapy water and a can of WD-40 and began cleaning years of dust, cobwebs and dirt from what was a pretty solid Mountain bike back in the mid-nineties.  I pulled out some bicycle tools I had not used in years, a crank puller, freewheel sockets and tire wedges.  After several hours of cleaning, disassembling, lubricating and re-assembly, I had a near functional bicycle and a list of parts that would be required to make Mr. Giant operational once again.  3 days later, a box of parts (Amazon) arrived...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:51:25 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trek Fuel EX-7
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:28:23 AM »
Yep, got a Bianchi hanging from the rafters under a couple years of dust- last used to "road" the dogs getting them and I in shape for hour competitions.  Some good over the bar moments there when a dog would stop NOW to take a crap, or try to chase a deer!

Your opinion on "Slime" in the tubes of said bike tires?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
I have a Giant MB but most of my rides are on a Specialized Allez Elite. I've done a century on it but probably not in that shape right now. Could go 60 pretty easily.

In a box waiting to be built is a full carbon Neil Pryde Diablo which I hope to get started on one day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:16:12 PM »
I have a Giant MB but most of my rides are on a Specialized Allez Elite. I've done a century on it but probably not in that shape right now. Could go 60 pretty easily.

In a box waiting to be built is a full carbon Neil Pryde Diablo which I hope to get started on one day.

Is there anything you don't own?...dang! 8)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:26:52 PM »
Yes. A tractor and TNT. I plan on having a tractor soon.  Since I failed to heed the call, I can only dream about HE. :-)

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 02:17:11 AM »
I have a nice Haro I got a couple years back. I need a better seat is all. The carry pouch fits the MP or Keltec nicely.

About the only thing I can do that is no impact,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:18:07 AM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »
JR, they have a term for us guys over 200lbs in the cycling world. "Clydesdales" search for cycling seats using that term and you'll find lots of threads discussing which seats are best.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:25:22 AM »
I have a Specialized Cross Trail that is the perfect balance of on and off road for me. It's a hybrid, so it's built more like a mountain bike (front shocks, disk brakes, upright stance) but has more street efficient tires and wheels. So it's very efficient on the road, but does pretty good on trails too (packed dirt, gravel, etc). Also pretty light with all aluminum frame. I can take some photos if there's any demand...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
I have a Specialized Cross Trail that is the perfect balance of on and off road for me. It's a hybrid, so it's built more like a mountain bike (front shocks, disk brakes, upright stance) but has more street efficient tires and wheels. So it's very efficient on the road, but does pretty good on trails too (packed dirt, gravel, etc). Also pretty light with all aluminum frame. I can take some photos if there's any demand...

Yes, since I'm looking for a bike for trail and road. Need to incorporate some biking, and more running into my repertoire.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »
Here you go Bobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
...After several hours of cleaning, disassembling, lubricating and re-assembly, I had a near functional bicycle and a list of parts that would be required to make Mr. Giant operational once again.  3 days later, a box of parts (Amazon) arrived...

I installed new brake and shifter levers, ergonomic grips and a new seat.  New tubes, tires looked good, time for a ride.

It went well.  As well as it can go with an ultra-competitive 10-year-old who considers everything a race.  The ride was a little more harsh than I recall, probably the result of a few injuries and more than a few years.  Maybe I should look into getting one of those newer models with a suspension fork or perhaps a full suspension, front and rear.  Time to do some research…

Here is the Giant, after refurbishment:   

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
Here you go Bobby

Specialized makes a nice bike…

Now, how do I justify a newer bicycle for myself?  Easy!  Give the Giant ATX to one of the kids!  The 15 year old!  Probably not the set of wheels she hoped to get but she seems genuinely happy for the upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:04:58 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »
Nice resto on the Giant. My last bike was just like that. It was a Pacific, but very similar. Rigid frame, mountain tires. Giant makes a nice bike.

NRA Life Member

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 01:24:05 PM »
Thanks, Dawg.

As I conducted my research, I found that bike technology has changed quite a lot since the mid-nineties.  All of what I would consider the "Quality" Mountain Bike manufacturers now equip their bikes with front shocks and disk brakes, even at the entry level.  29 inch wheels are common as you travel up the price range and rear suspension comes in somewhere after that.  I went to the local bike store, Montgomery Cyclery, to see what they had on hand.

They had a wide selection from road racing bikes to down-hill bikes and everything in between; Mountain bikes, hybrids/cross-overs, fat-tire bikes for riding in the sand and kids bikes.  The brands they carry for the most part are Specialized, Giant, Cannondale and Trek.  These are good, solid, quality bikes with a starting price of around $400-$450.  The top-of-the-line models went north of $3500.

Time to hit Craigslist!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:25:11 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »
I got my Crosstrail disk on Craig's for $400 FYI. Virtually brand new

NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »
I went to a bike shop last summerish with dad as he wanted to get a bike for road and the biking trails, well $4,000 prices tags made us both about face and promptly didi the store.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 03:20:50 PM »
There are a lot of nice quality bicycles on CL for a fraction of what they sold for new.  After a few days of research and calling around, I drove up to Blanchester, Ohio and bought a Trek Fuel EX-7 that is a few years old.  It has seen little use, its tires still retain the mold parting line down the center of the tread.  It was dusty from several years of storage and the brakes squealed like a stuck pig.  The seller wanted $800 OBO, we settled on $575.  I used a print out from bicyclebluebook.com to justify my offer.  According to that site, the bike was priced at $1800 new.  Its an aluminum framed, full-suspension bike, Hydraulic disk brakes, Rockshox Recon front fork and Fox rear shock. 

I brought it home and once again began the cleaning process:   

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:25:15 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
Here it is post-cleaning:

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
That is a very nice bike. Great find!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 05:11:06 PM »
Great deal there Duane- starting to think you did acquisitions for the military and pilot was a cover!  Nice upgrade-

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »
Nice score Duane.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 06:17:11 AM »
I managed to get one good ride in before my latest back injury.  My son and I went to a local state park and rode some trails there.  I can tell you that the full suspension makes a big difference when compared to a rigid-frame bike.  I did manage to get the rear disk brakes quieted down but the front still howled un-acceptably, particularly on long downhills. I think pad replacement might be necessary.  I'll try one last cleaning of the pads and disk and try to resurface the disk with an orbital sander.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:42:42 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 06:24:16 AM »
Your opinion on "Slime" in the tubes of said bike tires?

I don't have any experience to base an opinion on regarding "Slime" in the tubes.  Are you talking about introducing it into a standard tube or the "Slime" branded tubes I saw in the store?

I know that they have puncture resistant tubes and some type of foam-donut-tube replacement also.  I'm just getting back into MTB so I'm not quite up to speed on the latest and greatest yet...

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:24:57 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 07:56:37 AM »
I didn't even know they had "slime" brand tubes!  On recent trip in Locust tree country, it was practice to put it in any yard/ATV tire being repaired- the branded tube kind of answers the question though.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 08:06:26 AM »
I managed to get one good ride in before my latest back injury.  My son and I went to a local state park and rode some trails there.  I can tell you that the full suspension makes a big difference when compared to a rigid-frame bike.  I did manage to get the rear disk brakes quieted down but the front still howled un-acceptably, particularly on long downhills. I think pad replacement might be necessary.  I'll try one last cleaning of the pads and disk and try to resurface the disk with an orbital sander.

Normally brake squealing (And you probably already know this) is due either to metal on metal contact or from high temp gasses "Whistling" as they struggle to escape. Drilled rotors are the fix for the latter...
Having said that, I have experienced some specially formulated pads which squealed more because of their specific compound. Was that high carbon content materials I wonder. Iron heavy compounds do not squeal as much, I've found.
There are likely not many different brake pad compounds to choose from so all of this is little more than an academic discussion, but for the sake of enriching the readership's knowledge, I thought I'd offer it up.

Soldier on!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
My Haro has the hydraulic brakes (veg oil?), adj front suspension and 29 inch tires. I think disc are still an option until you get to the high end bike, but I like em.

The tire dia need getting used to as my feet hit them on corners sometimes. Unless hardcore I think rear suspension isn't really needed, we have legs for that! But it is a nice option but I wouldn't have a bike without forks now.

So I'm a clydesdale huh, need a gel seat for this one.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal