Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door  (Read 114867 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2017, 11:02:09 PM »
Looks good! That should make a heck of a difference.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
I agree, it should help. Kinda wish they had a vent for the rear near the windshield in the center. Couple companies make a large center mounted vent, poison spyder comes to mind but I didn't care for the look myself. I have read some people pull the rear hood seal out to allow air to escap but junk can fall down in there then.

So my next job is to address some electrical. I have a dual battery kit to install and then some additional lighting. I've held off on the rear tire mount as I am finishing up the hydro install on my hossfeld bender. Had an old pieced together setup and I am improving on it and then adding a better hydraulic system (read I'm spending good money to do it sort of right, not hossfelds design but pretty close).
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 07, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »
Hood looks good!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 07, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »
Thanks guys, it seems to move some heat. Was 50 - 60 here yesterday & you could definitely feel the heat coming up through the side vents after driving it.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 10, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
Ok, so on to my not so favorite subject. Electrical, with the plan to add more components that work off of invisible fire we needed to install a dual battery setup. The first component of that is a dual battery tray. I selected one from M.O.R.E. or mountain off road enterprises.

Since I am sure there are pictures of the stock engine bay on this thread we will bypass that. The first step is to remove the battery & air box then to disconnect the ECM and remove it. Also unbolt the power steering reservoir mount and lay it to the side.

then remove the stock battery box which starts at the fire wall and extends to the core support.

remove the ECM mount from the battery box and save for later.

I recall smelling something hot for awhile after installing the motor with headers....... :huh:

headers melted clean through on the passengers side.......

on to breaking out the jab saw and a metal blade, here we remove the old battery tray but keep the ECM mount and air box mounts to bolt back in place

here is what we will be keeping and the trash is on the floor, bolt the save piece back in loosely along with the new battery tray

The tray is two pieces and in the center running vertical you can see three bolts, they are a pain. Not to mention after I finally get them in the interstate battery is just shy of fitting. So we went to the hardware and I swapped them out for a setup that was just shy of an 1/8" in height. This gave just enough room for that battery to fit like a bug in a rug.

So here we swap them out after a trip to the hardware

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 10, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
Several things I am not happy about with this kit, first the inner battery sits partially over the passengers side header. Even though MORE does not show a heat shield someone either made one or thought there would be a need for one as the inner tray has a 4 pattern set of bolt holes in this tray. I will be fabbing up a heat shield to mount from them out of Aluminum.

Next up on my list is this upper firewall mounting bolt. There are three of them but only the upper one sticks out far enough to contact the battery. So using a set of bolt cutters I trimmed it back a half inch and then with a soft pad rounded the end. It no longer touched the battery.

So last of my complaints, they spend all this time making a battery tray that fits nice and they give me this for an upper hold down for two batteries? Oh and the hold down J bolts aren't long enough which doesn't matter because this flimsy piece of 1/8" isn't going across the top of my batteries.

old junk ratchet strap and here it is at the end of the day.....

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 10, 2017, 06:58:34 PM »
Great progress. I like the hood vents. Question- if the headers melted the original battery tray wont that ratchet strap be toast....er...melted synthetic fabric pdq? 

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 10, 2017, 07:36:12 PM »
Looks tight in there. Is that the Airbox up front and the batteries sit side/side now and you just have a single in there?

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 10, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »
Looks tight in there. Is that the Airbox up front and the batteries sit side/side now and you just have a single in there?

Correct, I put it back together enough to drive around block and park in the back bay of my garage. Second battery sits motor side of battery that is there currently. I am going to build the "heat shield and get it mounted and then finish up with a new mo better hold down plate. Honestly the batteries are really snug with the new hardware but want to get it so that they won't tip side to side in a roll over.

Wilbur,

Ratchet strap is made of unobtanium, we're GTG!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 10, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »
That looks good...Getting ideas for the GJ
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 10, 2017, 11:25:22 PM »
Don, there are several companies who make a kit. One uses optima batteries and they mount them in their side. I'm not that cool, nor do I want to be. I wanted to run Costco interstate batteries. Not saying their is anything wrong with optimas as I have run them in the past. However, I think they are a little overrated for this build. My guess is by the time you get to working on GJ you'll have better options as several companies are currently working on new mo better versions.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 10, 2017, 11:43:12 PM »
Shawn, forgive my ignorance, but what about a gas engine rates having two batteries?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 10, 2017, 11:55:43 PM »
Shawn, forgive my ignorance, but what about a gas engine rates having two batteries?

Being able to start it is always a good idea. So what we're thinking here is that we will add two batteries & isolate one from the other. The first battery runs the jeep starter etc. The second will run the winch, auxiliary lights, fridge etc.

If we're making long pulls with the winch let's say & wear that battery down we still have a topped off fresh battery to start the Jeep & get us home at the end of a long day or weekend of camping.

Another thought is if I have two batteries I have a poor mans welder if needed when out in BFE. Been there & done it so I can tell you it works.......

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 11, 2017, 10:45:20 PM »
So today I fixed the JK......

Yesterday I ran into a time crunch putting the ecm and battery back in place. In my hurry I left off the ground from the battery to the inner fender well. In my defense I forgot that two grounds went to that stud (one from the ecm wiring and one from the battery) and the one from the battery was buried under the other ecm wiring. :rolleyes:

So it was running a little rough at first last night and the starter didin't seem to be engaging full on as it was intermittent. At that point I was in a rush and it was a bit of a blur. So I parked it in it's place and headed out, kinda thinking last night that I probably knocked a plug wire loose pulling the stock battery tray. Well, as it was I woke up thinking about that ground not a plug wire this morning. Somebody helped me out I think during the night.

Sure enough I go out and look to see a ground hidden under the ecm. I pulled the ecm loose from the mounts and wiggled the lost ground out from under that mess of wiring. I reinstalled it and jumped in the Jeep, it fired right up and ran great. However, there was an engine light on and figuring it was bogus from my snafu I decided to reset it by unhooking the battery. So I did that and a half hour later hooked the positive cable back up and jumped in the jeep to start it up.

A whole lotta nothing is what happened next. Plenty of lights etc all over the dash working properly, door chime kicing off but no starter not even a click. WTH I thought and started looking over all the connections. After checking the battery etc I thought well maybe somehow I toasted the solenoid on the starter? I mean everything works except that dumb starter and this is the second one in 4-5 months. After a bit I decided well pulling the starter isn't hard and the Napa down the street has that fancy machine that can test these out six ways to Sunday. So off it came and in the middle of that my phone rang five times while I'm stuck on a creeper under the Jeep. I then noticed after pulling off the heat shield that the solenoid wire is not attached. Well, maybe I pulled it off in the confusion of that pesky phone ringing? At this point I almost put it all back together but thought I'm this far and might as well get it checked out. Why not it's only one more wire and it will be out already. So I did and it tested like a new one, which it should because it's pretty new. So go home and reinstall it and it was fixed, but the darn engine light is still on and it's gunna stay that way for now.

Apparently, I tugged too hard on the power cable from the battery to the starter or when I was looking at making a heat shield for the started the other day and tried removing the stock heat shield I must have knocked the solenoid wire almost off. Then when I pulled the battery cable this morning it finally made it's way completely off. Easy fix that took several hours........

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2017, 10:52:19 PM »
This afternoon while waiting for my daughter to do her physical therapy I stopped by HD and Lowe's to find a piece of aluminum sheet to make the heat shield for the battery box. Well, as I turns out their selection is great for roofing but not much else. So when I arrived home this afternoon I ordered up a 12" x 24" x 14ga (.080) 6061 aluminum sheet that I will carve and form into a heat shield. While I was on Mcmaster.com's site I ordered up 4 little aluminum spacers a 1/4" long to allow an air gap between the heat shield and the bottom of the battery tray. $40 later and it is being shipped as I write........

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 11, 2017, 11:31:27 PM »
But you still have a CEL you didn't have before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 11, 2017, 11:46:19 PM »
That thing probably has about 20 codes in it from the ground issue. Wouldn't worry too much.

...everyone should have one of those cheap code readers to shove in the glove box imo. I put one in each of the daughter's cars so they can call me with a code, instead of me freaking out over a light that may or may not be anything critical.(especially since they live in another city)

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 11, 2017, 11:49:01 PM »
HF has em all the time, they work great!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 12, 2017, 12:04:50 AM »
I agree with Ken, not worried about the codes. It runs like it did before so it's just annoying at this point.

Also agree I should probably buy a scan tool now that I'm wrenching on motors that no longer have distributor holes in the intake manifold...... :tongue:

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 12, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »
Mine was the best $100 (or thereabouts) I ever spent. Has paid itself many times over. And they're cheaper now. Definitely get one. You'll be happy you did.

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 12, 2017, 02:31:29 AM »
Mine is about 10 years old from HF. Just used on my wifes 2013 Captiva. Showed a bad cam soleniod, was a $50 ten minute fix.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 23, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »
Well, you done playing around and get back on the jeep projects??

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
Negative, trips to Indiana every 3 weeks are killing me. Plus I've been doing concrete, landscaping and fencing today trying to get ready for planting our growing garden areas.

I keep moving the box of aluminum sheet around to do the heat guard under the new dual battery tray. Hoping maybe in the next couple days get it cut and formed up.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
So the trips to Indiana are over with at the present time. I say that knowing that in the not to distant future I will have to go back having a Dad who is 80 and diagnosed with CHF. His time here is short and he is ready to go.

On to the heat shield and that darned piece of aluminum I keep moving out of my way. When I was installing the dual battery tray I took some careful measurements knowing a heat shield would be needed with the battery tray located over the passenger header. I can't be cooking $100 batteries all the time.

I started by laying out the template for the tray I had sketched up earlier. Air nibbler, drill and grinder with soft pad knocked that out quick.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 09, 2017, 10:43:01 AM »
The next thing was to address the bottom die in the shop press. At 3.5" wide it makes a huge bend in material and that will eat up real estate I do not have in the jeep bay.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 09, 2017, 10:45:54 AM »
After a little bit of scrounging in the drop rack I found a quick solution. Couple quick cuts on the band saw and drilled a couple of holes and we were in business.

viola! a new mo better bottom die  :likebutton:

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
Then to start bending

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 09, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
I did run into one snafu, the legs on these bends are 4" and after bending the first tab it wouldn't clear to let me bend the second longer length leg. So I pulled out my largest hand shears and trimmed it down to about an 1 1/4". You can see the modification by comparing these two pictures.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 09, 2017, 10:53:08 AM »
Took this picture to detail a couple of points. First I think I will acquire some silver solder and try my hand at filling that gap, may already have some just need to do some digging. The other point I would like to make is that relief hole I drilled in the corner of the pan, you can se it here and how removing that material on the pattern gave way to allow the pan to form up in the corners unobstructed. Makes for a cleaner job I think.

Now on to the install at a later date as I have a fence job for the older neighbor lady to complete.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 09, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
Shawn give me some information on the press brake. Me like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 09, 2017, 01:53:31 PM »
Here is a shot of the two different bend radius. The lower is the stock 3.5" and then the upper is the 13/16" opening die I made. Both of these essentially air bend the material meaning the dies are not meant to bottom out.

TRN, the place is swagoffroad.com I bought their press plates too as my press didn't come with any and these are a great upgrade over stock cast HF units that can explode.

Hard to se in this picture but after inserting the angle iron bottom die I had approximately a 1/4" of space to slide the 1/8" material in to form it.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:57:07 PM by stlaser »

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 13, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »
Didn't know you were a MMB...  Master Metal Bender...  Picked up all kinds of tricks in IN didn't ya!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 13, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »
Didn't know you were a MMB...  Master Metal Bender...  Picked up all kinds of tricks in IN didn't ya!

Here I thought you used to own one of my diff covers.......

Back in Indiana we had presses and tooling worth a couple mil, here in my garage we have the tooling made from scrap! :tongue:

Glad to see you're still alive and kicking.....

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 13, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
Just for reference I misspoke earlier. You can't use silver solder on aluminum, the melting point of silver solder is high enough that when you finally get silver solder to melt there wouldn't be anything to solder it to except a puddle of aluminum. So I picked up an aluminum brazing kit from my local tractor supply yesterday wire brush included for $15
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:24:28 AM by stlaser »

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 13, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
Just got the hf 20 ton and thinking about the press.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 23, 2017, 05:54:38 PM »
Just got the hf 20 ton and thinking about the press.

Press brake is a must have add on IMO......

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 23, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »
So it's been awhile since I wrenched on this. A long while, other priorities have taken up much needed time this year. I personally like to wrench on jeeps and trucks in the fall, don't ask me why it's just how it seems to work out for me. Anyhow, I have a trip to MOAB coming up in a year from now and the next couple of upgrades are going to change this build drastically. So last week after consulting a certain knowledge base here on the board I pulled the trigger on this picture below. For now I'll let you all guess what is coming, it won't be hard to surmise I'm sure. Right after I pulled the trigger our dishwasher went out and its a crap spec home model so with that said now I have to go drop $700 or so on a good unit...... so good parts are on the back burner for a bit.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 23, 2017, 06:18:41 PM »
Oh and somewhere I got sidetracked and painted then hung this.....

sorry for not posting that sooner as this has been mounted for a few months now along with "real" read non ethanol 91 octane residing inside.

Right after mounting that I ordered a foot controlled hydraulic pump for my tube bender at around $1k from some jack holes in cali (read communist) and found it to be Don's fav (see Chinese junk) and then after 4 months of frustration and testing and wasting expensive specialty oil which I subsequently sprayed all over my shop & myself we come to the conclusion it was in fact Chinese crap. :rolleyes: Also included in this 4 month process I returned it with fedex damaging it "supposedly" (no pics or documentation conveniently) and then some more waiting and complaining to finally received a refund.  :popcorn: & drama......

So I now have another pump of American origin in my shop that I need to build a mount for and wire (then figure out how to wire the remote hand control) so that I can bend up the rear tire mount. Long story short there.......

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 23, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
Shawn
Let me sidetrack just a bit
What's you recommendation for the GJ of mine regarding tire size/rim?

I drove that thing to Lexington last night

It is awful!

Tires are hammering, feels like bad bearings. I'd say they are at least 30% but the pounding is bad.

The stock shocks belong on a coupe d'ville not a jeep IMO

So I was thinking of trying to sneak a 33" Goodyear on a 17" wheel with no lift ($$$ issue) then get a 3.5" lift later on

It has the stocker rubicon stuff now and has 4.10 gears

Opinions?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:00:57 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 23, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
I'd say you scooch the axles from Shawns trailer, put some 4.56's and 40's on it with a long travel coilover setup.
Shoot, that's likely what Shawn plans to do with them though.
I might be off on the gears and tires a bit, but hey it would fix the GJ also.

That's what I figure is on the trailer anyhoot.

Gas can holder looks good too btw.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 23, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »
Shawn
Let me sidetrack just a bit
What's you recommendation for the GJ of mine regarding tire size/rim?

I drove that thing to Lexington last night

It is awful!

Tires are hammering, feels like bad bearings. I'd say they are at least 30% but the pounding is bad.

The stock shocks belong on a coupe d'ville not a jeep IMO

So I was thinking of trying to sneak a 33" Goodyear on a 17" wheel with no lift ($$$ issue) then get a 3.5" lift later on

It has the stocker rubicon stuff now and has 4.10 gears

Opinions?

Won't fit the 33" tires with those stock wheels, it's why I went to the aftermarket 16" wheels on mine with about a 3" back space wheel versus the 7" on stock ones (I might be exaggerating there a bit at 7"). But my tire size is currently 285/75 was just shy of a 33" tire and I had no lift. I put the lift on later too. I would rub a little turning & hitting the front suspension hard but nothing I couldn't live with. So if you want to keep those wheels stick to a 32" tire or less or buy a set of spidertrax wheel spacers.

Edit I should just sell you my set of 5..... with about 80% on two and 95% on two others. Spare has around 80%

Edit x 2: when you say pounding do you mean the front end is hopping? Mine did that a little at 70 mph & above prior to installing the winch & winch mount plate. But it didn't hop near as bad as my rubicon 2 door tj used to. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:21:06 PM by stlaser »

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 23, 2017, 09:45:28 PM »
Was it SWAG?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 23, 2017, 09:49:28 PM »
Was it SWAG?

Was what?

Pump wasn't swag, nothing but a good experience from Swag....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:21:37 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 23, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »
I'd say you scooch the axles from Shawns trailer, put some 4.56's and 40's on it with a long travel coilover setup.
Shoot, that's likely what Shawn plans to do with them though.
I might be off on the gears and tires a bit, but hey it would fix the GJ also.

That's what I figure is on the trailer anyhoot.

Gas can holder looks good too btw.

I don't like coilovers, I think I've stated this before but they have a limited amount of cycles before needing rebuilt. Great for a race truck that needs more wrench time than a mid 70's Harley.

Now, take a coil spring. Other than falling or popping out of place occasionally it's pretty hard to kill it. I mean take one & throw it against a tree, let Don try to chew it in half with his grapple bucket (sorry backup is that currently functional? We'll assume it is for sake of arguement I guess  :tongue:). Aside from Kens GF H sitting on it I just think it's hard to beat as the tool of choice to use in an off road capacity. Again just my 2 cents.....

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 23, 2017, 11:17:08 PM »
My guess as to what's on the trailer: A brick, several pieces of lumber (short length sections), and what looks to be a tarp. Amiright?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 23, 2017, 11:23:17 PM »
My guess as to what's on the trailer: A brick, several pieces of lumber (short length sections), and what looks to be a tarp. Amiright?
:knucklehead:

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 23, 2017, 11:31:43 PM »
Motor

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 23, 2017, 11:44:34 PM »
Motor

Negative, other than using some oil this new motor is holding up.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 24, 2017, 08:45:13 AM »
In the trailer is that a pair of Dana 60's or is the other one a 14 bolt?

Was counting the bolts by the subtle indentations in the cover but that lower corner is a bit wrinkled, so not exactly sure...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 24, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »
Oh, forgot to mention, I was not, make that definitely not going to use the stock wheels. I don't like them either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal