Hello Guest

Author Topic: Don's 2024 Ram 3500  (Read 105637 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Don's 2024 Ram 3500
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2024, 02:09:47 PM »
Zinc plated and powdered, do it right
If I do all that, I'll have to do it after the trip. No time between when it arrives and when I shove off for any lengthy anything. Slap a coat of paint on it and bolt it on. Just as easily, I coat it myself, but the larger and more involved processes will have to wait.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2024, 07:01:17 PM »
Are you in a bad enough to climate to justify zinc plating?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2024, 09:24:37 AM »
Are you in a bad enough to climate to justify zinc plating?
Well, we do have salt on the roads in the winter, and a friend zinc coats the custom trailers he builds, so, maybe??

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2024, 11:06:17 AM »
Zinc plated and powdered, do it right
If I do all that, I'll have to do it after the trip. No time between when it arrives and when I shove off for any lengthy anything. Slap a coat of paint on it and bolt it on. Just as easily, I coat it myself, but the larger and more involved processes will have to wait.
Never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it over.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2024, 12:23:27 PM »
Well, the bumper coating poll is about split. If I had the option of powder coating up there I believe most people would have gone with that.

It should get here somewhere early the third week in June, so I can take a hard look at it then to see if I have any time to get it powder coated, but I sincerely doubt it.

The epoxy paint is a pretty good alternative, as I have had great results in the past doing that to bumpers.

I selected and ordered a 13,500 X-Bull winch yesterday. It shipped the same day from Kali, so it should be here in time for the bumper install.

I went with a well-known less expensive winch because first of all there are really just very few winch manufacturers. I think the people who build the HF winch I have on my Jeep also make this and about a hundred other brands of winch. I did not go with a premium winch because I will probably never use it.

The purpose of this winch is obviously, self recovery. Since I do not plan to get in any crazy off-road places, I likely will not need it for that. But I will probably have to pull a fallen tree off the trail once or twice, so for that reason, I think I need one.

The OX has a straight-line pull of 13,500 pounds and will winch around 2 FPM at that load. The duty cycle is not great, 60 sec on/10 min off at max line pull, but pulling a tree where it is not straining it should be able to run a long time without overheating. It has 85 feet of 3/8" synthetic rope and a cool hause head that integrates a hook as one neat package.

Other than that I will toss a couple of auxiliary lights in the bumper, then call all that good.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2024, 12:27:15 PM »
Poll results:

How should I coat the new bumper

Paint it Epoxy gloss black                                              2 (33.3%)
Paint it the same color as the truck and use a hardener   1 (16.7%)
Rino-line the thing                                                        1 (16.7%)
Professional urethane spray coating                               2 (33.3%)
Leave it bare steel and top coat in clear                         0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 12:28:07 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2024, 12:34:43 PM »
I like the idea of a coated bumper, need a good base though. Epoxy primer?

Heard good things abou tthe X Bull winches, but I agree I think only a few companies make em and they are branded from there.

I got a HF on the Sub, works great so far. I got a Vevor for the trailer, but may save that for another use since it has the syn cable, steel is fine for the trailer.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2024, 07:05:29 PM »
I like the idea of a coated bumper, need a good base though. Epoxy primer?

Heard good things abou tthe X Bull winches, but I agree I think only a few companies make em and they are branded from there.

I got a HF on the Sub, works great so far. I got a Vevor for the trailer, but may save that for another use since it has the syn cable, steel is fine for the trailer.
Like you, I seem to have extra winches sitting around. I have a 10K Superwinch which has been collecting dust for nearly 10 years. I was thinking of mounting it in the dump trailer to allow me to winch stuff up on it, but then I thought I'd buy another utility trailer and bolt the winch onto that...

It's there if I need it, I guess.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 30, 2024, 07:57:32 PM »
Funny, I have like 3 of the little 2500# units, served me, 1-2 still new.

I have a superwinch (syn) 4500# I was going to put in a Samurai build and an off brand 5k here too. That is probably going in the sons Sonoma (3k truck) with syn line I have laying around.

The HF 12k just pulled the Sub back onto the flatbed with no issues but we had to rewind the line. I have kept a small solar panel on both the Sub and the trailer and neither battery has let me down yet.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2024, 03:12:51 PM »

I have a superwinch (syn) 4500# I was going to put in a Samurai build and an off brand 5k here too. That is probably going in the sons Sonoma (3k truck) with syn line I have laying around.

The HF 12k just pulled the Sub back onto the flatbed with no issues but we had to rewind the line. I have kept a small solar panel on both the Sub and the trailer and neither battery has let me down yet.
It was my 12k HF that got me out of this.

If you look in the back you can see the pumpkin hole. I was on the frame rails and going down.
Once o got here I could breath again as it was on a bit more form ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2024, 07:26:57 PM »

It was my 12k HF that got me out of this.

If you look in the back you can see the pumpkin hole. I was on the frame rails and going down.
Once o got here I could breath again as it was on a bit more form ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good report! From what I have played with, that Badlands winch is very good for the $$$$

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2024, 09:50:57 PM »
How about a vote to put it back stockā€¦..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal