TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

back up equipment preperations

(1/5) > >>

Nate:
so I am sure that a lot of you have a deep freeze and have it stocked pretty good.  do any of you have contingency plans incase it happens to die on yah?  if so what are they?

I have a small fridge in the kitchen that gets condiments and a day or 2 of food or the leftovers, I have an upright fridge/freezer in the laundry room that big stuff gets put into (like a rubbed pork butt that needs to rest a day or 2) a couple things of coffee creamer and the ice maker and water spout get used on it as well, not much use for the freezer because its a bit too small.  and I have a big upright deep freeze that has all the frozen meats, breads, fruits, etc.  if one of those were to poop on me then I have a small chest freezer out in the storage shed as an oh crap emergency.

TexasRedNeck:
I have a big SxS in the house and a small SxS in the garage.  I'm more concerned with power loss, especially at the weekend place. Am undecided on back up power. Either propane or diesel. No natural gas where I am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

husker77c:
If you have any extra space in the freezers you can freeze bottles of water to fill up the rest of the space. That will hold the temp longer if the power goes out and stores you more fresh water.  Only buys you time though if the power goes out.   Quick and dirty is a generator. Run it just long enough to keep your stuff frozen and or cold. 

I researched solar panels and a battery bank for a freezer back when I actually lived in a house and had a freezer.  It is doable but to have 100% redundancy was pricey.  But if you have 6 months worth of meat in a big freezer how much is it worth to us to be able to keep it if the power goes out?

If the freezer actually breaks well then start cooking or drying.  When I get back into a house and can grow my garden again I'm planning on building a solar dehydrator so I don't rely on the freezer show much.  If you have canning supplies you could can most of what you keep in the freezer.

None of those suggestions would be very fun to do under the pressure of knowing you only have a few hour time window before you start spoiling. 

TexasRedNeck:
True. My issue at hand is that I'm only at my place every weekend or every other weekend so I need automated power back up. Working on it. Diesel has more power per unit than propane but propane never goes bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rasimmo:
This reminds me that I need another freezer. Mine get full of beef and pork in the winter when we butcher. I always run out of space.

RN
In your case I would go propane over diesel for sure. The diesel standbys we have at work are always giving us problems. They don't like to just sit. We do run them once a week, but usually have to work on them every week too. The natural gas standbys we have just crank and run for half an hour every week with very few issues. Keep a couple extra sets of plugs, a few oil filters, and a rebuild kit for the metering valve/carb/whatever you want to call it just in case and you're good to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version