Hello Guest

Author Topic: Welder pics, Setup and advice with welding.  (Read 9339 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Welder pics, Setup and advice with welding.
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2017, 10:51:20 PM »
Well, I bow to the one with more weldin' knowledge. But I have welded with a mig going downhill for a pass or two, like on a roll bar tube that is disappearing behind a "B" pillar.

I was only trained and tested with stick, never with mig. I just learned that on my own.

I'll pick up a welder for the farm sooner or later, and I'll probably go with a gas powered stick machine
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2017, 11:36:51 PM »
Not saying it isn't possible, probably not advisable though. For awhile I was welding home made dies cut from 1/2" plate for a 250 ton press with a little 125 Lincoln mig. I never broke any of the dies, however that little mig would over heat occasionally when welding. I think it has a 25% duty cycle or something useless like that.....

Edit: got curious & looked it up, I stand corrected. It was a 20% duty cycle.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:38:42 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2017, 07:59:28 AM »
My general rule of thumb for stick vs. mig.  If you intend to do sheet metal work, say anything less then 3/16" I would advise the mig welder.  If you are doing fabrication work where you are either using clean steel or can easily clean your work up well before fitting parts mig will be more advantageous.

For repair work, and thicker steel (1/2"+) I would recommend stick.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2017, 08:04:15 AM »
As far as welding a vertical down.  I do it on occasion.  You have to have the welder set-up right and be able to control your puddle well enough to get the penetration though.  You will not be able to get as deep of penetration as you could with vertical up but it is still possible to do.  You are really actually working against gravity with vertical down.  Gravity is pushing the puddle down.  You need to keep it up, above where you are welding to get penetration.  If you need to move faster then you would like to keep in front of the puddle, or if you are in the puddle there will be no penetration in the weld.  You might be fooled because it will probably look pretty but won't be strong.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »
If you weld a vertical down with a mig, turn your gun so the nozzle is facing up. Gas is heavier than air so the gas coming out the end of the mig will be forced up & then settle back down. This should keep your puddle surrounded by the gas. It also allows you to control the puddle some on its decent.

Online Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
My general rule of thumb for stick vs. mig.  If you intend to do sheet metal work, say anything less then 3/16" I would advise the mig welder.  If you are doing fabrication work where you are either using clean steel or can easily clean your work up well before fitting parts mig will be more advantageous.

For repair work, and thicker steel (1/2"+) I would recommend stick.

Anyone else have thoughts? I can pick up a good tombstone Lincoln stick welder for pretty cheap on the local classified adds like $200 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2017, 02:01:29 PM »
What’s the duty cycle on that stick welder?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
I have had good luck welding down. I found I could control the puddle better. Much depends on the rod, AC vs DC (DC!!!) as well as the technic.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2017, 06:48:09 PM »
I have had good luck welding down. I found I could control the puddle better. Much depends on the rod, AC vs DC (DC!!!) as well as the technic.

JR, many dead welding instructors just rolled over in their graves.......

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »
Heat rises. Jus sayin

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2017, 11:52:31 PM »
What’s the duty cycle on that stick welder?
I’ll post the add for you to read. I have never researched it

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:04:37 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2017, 12:06:18 AM »

Well, they are dead,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »

Well, they are dead,,,,,,,,,,,,,
:tongue:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »
Welder
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=46145151http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=46145151

lincoln welder
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=50047720http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=50047720

Millermatic 140 MiG Welder
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=50087577http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=50087577

Both stick welders show duty cycle of 20%

So how that plays out is that you can run that welder at full tilt for 2 mins & then you need to wait 8 mins before you start welding again.

Here is essentially that unit brand new, find a 10% off coupon to Lowe’s etc.....

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electric-240-Volt-Stick-Welder/1115275?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-Welding-_-1115275:Lincoln_Electric&CAWELAID=&kpid=1115275&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=220&k_clickID=1f13a2e0-c4e3-1368-fbd0-000002fae39a&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7d2dz-CL1wIVDweGCh2Q3As6EAQYASABEgI5RvD_BwE

Then the bottom is a miller mig unit, as stated I’ve welded with smaller. If it were me I would try to find a Hobart 187 mig. Keep your eye out, they are really good machines for the price point. I welded up a buddies tube chassis 4x4 buggy with one entirely & we abused it afterward with no issues.

The other option is to find a good old large used stick welder. Keep your eye open for shop & farm sales & always look at duty cycle. I’d rather have something in neighborhood of 60-100% duty cycle. And for the record normally you can run past the 20% for a bit but at some point you will smoke the internals doing so. Same goes for mig welders, even the high end units can have their circuit boards get fried etc which is costly to get repaired.

Just my 2 cents....

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »
Welder
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=46145151http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=46145151

lincoln welder
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=50047720http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=50047720

Millermatic 140 MiG Welder
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=50087577http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=50087577

Both stick welders show duty cycle of 20%

So how that plays out is that you can run that welder at full tilt for 2 mins & then you need to wait 8 mins before you start welding again.

Here is essentially that unit brand new, find a 10% off coupon to Lowe’s etc.....

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electric-240-Volt-Stick-Welder/1115275?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-Welding-_-1115275:Lincoln_Electric&CAWELAID=&kpid=1115275&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=220&k_clickID=1f13a2e0-c4e3-1368-fbd0-000002fae39a&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7d2dz-CL1wIVDweGCh2Q3As6EAQYASABEgI5RvD_BwE

Then the bottom is a miller mig unit, as stated I’ve welded with smaller. If it were me I would try to find a Hobart 187 mig. Keep your eye out, they are really good machines for the price point. I welded up a buddies tube chassis 4x4 buggy with one entirely & we abused it afterward with no issues.

The other option is to find a good old large used stick welder. Keep your eye open for shop & farm sales & always look at duty cycle. I’d rather have something in neighborhood of 60-100% duty cycle. And for the record normally you can run past the 20% for a bit but at some point you will smoke the internals doing so. Same goes for mig welders, even the high end units can have their circuit boards get fried etc which is costly to get repaired.

Just my 2 cents....

Knowledge gained :)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
20% is at full tilt. Rarely do you run them maxed out for more than a few minutes.

Those are solid units and have been around for a long time. The one I was used to was a old Lincoln gas unit on a ranch we had on a pallet.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
20% is at full tilt. Rarely do you run them maxed out for more than a few minutes.

Those are solid units and have been around for a long time. The one I was used to was a old Lincoln gas unit on a ranch we had on a pallet.

Gas units are normally 100% duty cycle.....

I had a miller bobcat & according to pipeline guys they aren’t what a Lincoln is but it was 100% duty cycle too.

The reality is maybe running a rod to rod & half then drink coffee & chew the fat is ok for most. Myself, I would get pissed & it would be a bit of a chit show. I’m an impatient sob when I want something done & many can attest to that fact.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:38:22 AM by stlaser »

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »
I've been thinking lately I'd like to update my generator from a little 3500 watt unit to a bigger one, more like 10KW is what I'm after. Coincidentally enough I've been wanting a stick welder that can do DC. Does anyone here have any experience with something like a Miller Bobcat 250? Looking to hear some thoughts on it both used as welder and as a generator. Always seemed to me it might be a nice mix, as it would see semi-regular use for welding, and therefore should be maintained (ie. less neglected) better than something that's only a generator and can sit for many months at a time without being turned on.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
I've been thinking lately I'd like to update my generator from a little 3500 watt unit to a bigger one, more like 10KW is what I'm after. Coincidentally enough I've been wanting a stick welder that can do DC. Does anyone here have any experience with something like a Miller Bobcat 250? Looking to hear some thoughts on it both used as welder and as a generator. Always seemed to me it might be a nice mix, as it would see semi-regular use for welding, and therefore should be maintained (ie. less neglected) better than something that's only a generator and can sit for many months at a time without being turned on.

This is what I had for backup power on the farm. I rarely used the welder although it worked fine. Biggest issue was keeping fresh fuel in it. It always was very reliable & started right up. I had even considered converting it over to propane as I had the parts for it. Biggest issue is moving it around, trailer might be handy but everyone can drag that away so I just used skidloader or tractor front end loader to set in back of truck.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2017, 02:56:34 PM »

This is what I had for backup power on the farm. I rarely used the welder although it worked fine. Biggest issue was keeping fresh fuel in it. It always was very reliable & started right up. I had even considered converting it over to propane as I had the parts for it. Biggest issue is moving it around, trailer might be handy but everyone can drag that away so I just used skidloader or tractor front end loader to set in back of truck.

Right on good to know. I thought about building a little 5x8 trailer if I had such a welder/generator. Might even think about getting the diesel version, though it does add some heft to the price.

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »
Needs some metal advise

I need/want to build a new rack to hold all of my air hoses and extension cords in our job trailer.   The current one is junk

What I would like to do is.    Take these U-Bolts bend them around some tube maybe 45 degrees and than add some tabs to screw the set up to the wall

Not sure how to order tube from my local company.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2018, 09:53:28 PM »
I usually reference metalsdeopt for material sizes.  I find I can generally find steel about 25% less then there listed prices.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »
I usually reference metalsdeopt for material sizes.  I find I can generally find steel about 25% less then there listed prices.

Also see if there is a Metal Supermarket near you Dave, they normally beat metalsdepot for me on pricing & no shipping no costs.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »
Dave, another easy idea. Go to HD, buy unistrut or that angle iron with holes already in it (they use it for garage door opener mounts) & buy some nuts to fit ubolts. Drill holes in unistrut for one side of ubolt then push it thru & nut on top & bottom. Fasten unistrut to wall, same idea with angle with holes in it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:03:46 PM by stlaser »

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2018, 10:20:47 PM »
Dave, another easy idea. Go to HD, buy unistrut or that angle iron with holes already in it (they use it for garage door opener mounts) & buy some nuts to fit ubolts. Drill holes in unistrut for one side of ubolt then push it thru & nut on top & bottom. Fasten unistrut to wall, same idea with angle with holes in it.
That’s not a bad idea.   Only downside I see is it’s nuts n bolts vs me playing with the welder that’s been in my garage for six months.

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2018, 10:21:18 PM »
I have seen some metal adds on the local classified add.  I’ll stop in 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2018, 10:37:43 PM »
That’s not a bad idea.   Only downside I see is it’s nuts n bolts vs me playing with the welder that’s been in my garage for six months.

I like strength & if that welder has been sitting for six months the nuts might be stronger than your welding abilities? Maybe not too but just a thought..... :tongue:

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »

Found.  I’ll make a stop in

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2018, 11:39:57 PM »
You planning on building another Eiffel tower or something? 1/4x6" would do it. :pokeDave
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2018, 01:28:48 AM »
Don't forget you need to hold it all down too. I used E tract when I was building a trailer, there is so much for it. Even HF has some of it now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
Welder pics, Setup and advice with welding.
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2018, 01:29:57 AM »
1x1 square tube cut at about a 30* angle and welded to that horizontal piece to reuse what you already have.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:32:21 AM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2018, 01:41:00 AM »
Back on the e tract, they have more than I thought for it now. Hooks, hangers and of course strapping. Plus you can move them around as needed.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
You planning on building another Eiffel tower or something? 1/4x6" would do it. :pokeDave
That’s just the store.  I didn’t look at what they had on the add

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2018, 10:38:21 AM »
I secured my Etrack to each wall stud
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
I agree with Nate, that e track is great in an enclosed trailer.

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2018, 03:23:52 PM »
Did some looking for you wealthy guys E track attachments Holley molley.  $19 bucks for one shovel holder?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »
Did some looking for you wealthy guys E track attachments Holley molley.  $19 bucks for one shovel holder?

Dave, I won't tell you then what that aluminum enclosed trailer cost me......... :popcorn:

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2018, 05:26:24 PM »
I know what they cost.  Didn’t buy one on purpose, the weight steal vs alum isn’t that much to justify almost double the cost,  is was $7800 for 28 feet of trailer and 5k axles. The same in alum was $12000     

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »
you are correct dave, E-track is not cheap (8 10' @ $40 pieces = $320 + 8 2' pieces @ $8 = $64 total = $384) (and not counting the self tapping screws that went 2 each into each metal stud).  I did spend a little up front to do this, but I was gonna be damned if I was gonna half arse it the first time.  the only thing I would like to do yet is run 2 full length strips right down the middle, but the tricky part is finding each Steel cross member to screw into.  I "WILL NOT" screw into just the wood on either the floor or the walls, they are/will all be screwed into the steel and the floor ones will be caulked over so as to ensure "NOT WATER LEAKAGE" will ever occure to promote wood rot.

keep in mind though that I bought a "Wells Cargo" and do plan to keep this one (unlike my other 2 that I was forced to sell).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:02:46 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2018, 07:03:07 PM »
I know what they cost.  Didn’t buy one on purpose, the weight steal vs alum isn’t that much to justify almost double the cost,  is was $7800 for 28 feet of trailer and 5k axles. The same in alum was $12000     

Check out the Exiss version

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2018, 11:43:22 PM »
I had one built by a guy in Las Vegas. Was just $4500 for a 20ft, with many extras. They build and add the extras on a separate sheet to save on taxes.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal