TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Moving the wall around and new floors

<< < (2/10) > >>

Flyin6:
Well, this is all quite interesting, and unexpected. I guess in my mind I had you moving to the hills outside Reno and tossing a WP Grenade in the Cali house at departure. So, plans are to split living in either location?

The engineering behind this "Mod" is fascinating. You tend to do things the right way and build strong, this is no exception.

Was the moving of that wall a need or a want? You said it was driving you crazy...

So, JR, did you go crazy?  ;-)

JR:
I just hate the wall, closes the house in. Plans are still to move up the Ridge, but keeping this house up is good juju.

That shearwall is 24 inch, basically an OSB 3 1/2 x 24 inch with steel inserts. 24in can replace 8ft, plus it gets strapped to an existing 4ft of new construction wall from the addition.

JR:
Not breaking any records here, but headway made.

Rods cement in with 6.5in above the floor. 4 tubes of epoxy, 24in the concrete, 6in for flooring.

Roof structure is another story. This house is based off a moduler with iffy rafters at best. Saving grace is the simpson is up against a wall vs being free standing.

JR:
My idea on the rafter is to fill that wedge void and fill the lower 5/8 gap as best I can. There are 2 of those rafters and I believe a 2x10 behind that. Glued and screwed of couse.

Then the simpson wall will be glued and timber screwed to that. Then use the included metal ties for the vertical wall along with a few simpson lags included tying that area into a big "T". Basically it creates a 5ft shear wall at that point. Foundation runs the the whole length of that wall to the front of the house.

For a little context here, I rebuilt the entire roof around 2006. It was sagging bad so I propped it up from inside, then rebuilt any rafter that was broken (3/8 sheet with 1x2s as built. I sistered 1/2 ply inside the rafters then used simpson hangers to screw to the main centerboard (two 24 inch plywood sheets) that were 90% no functional then.

Then I used 7/16 foiled OSB, 1 inch of rigid foam and another layer of OSB. Back then 30lb felt was the ticked and I used 40 year GAF shingles. So good for my lifetime I hope.

JR:
^^^^^^ Was a long hot summer as I did that is my spare time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version