TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Drawer system for overlanding

(1/14) > >>

Flyin6:
I continue to refine the capability of my Jeep Gladiator (JT)

Last year we did two big trips in the thing to five different locations and a dozen states.

It was the first time we used the thing to both travel in and live out of. The system we used was to mount a frig in the back seat, then stack things in plastic tubs. It was a workable system but akward at best. You would have to essentially, download the back end of the truck to get to sleeping bags in one packer, a stove in another, and camp tools in yet another.

It worked, but that was the last time I planned to do it that way. This time I will build two large multi-level and compartment drawers. I will mount the Lithium atop the flat deck and give myself a slide out kitchen setup. I will keep clothing and sleeping gear in the back seat area and everything else in those drawers or in one or two bins which will be atop the new platform.

I am creating a 13" deep drawer with a frame constructed of 3/4" plywood.

I will pay close attention to weight, so I will be "Ghosting" a lot of the panels and using thinner materials where I can. I will lose the weight of the bins but pick up the weight from the drawer system.

So here we go, starting with some ACX 3/4" pine plywood.

Flyin6:
I still have this assembly table that I built my overland camper on. I sanded the top to give myself a good flat surface to assemble the frame of the drawer system.

Flyin6:
I squared up every cut with a wallboard square I trust. Using my Makita track saw, everything came out dead on!

Flyin6:
These five pieces are all there is to the bottom of the monocoque construction.

Flyin6:
The end pieces are 6" wide and the longitudinal pieces are 4"

I will attach them end to end in a butt-joint connection using Kreg screws and glue.

Each connection gets two screws, which will yield a strong connection with the glue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version