Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Silverado Duramax C-Max build thread part 4  (Read 172632 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: LML Silverado Duramax C-Max build thread part 4
« Reply #700 on: September 27, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
Waiting for light update!  As requested before.  Long range dark road photo, twenty feet back from garage door or wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those projector lights didn't put out enough light to be detectable, and they are gone. New ones just installed, but not adjusted...hang with me...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 27, 2017, 09:50:06 PM »
Early fitment test. It's just like OEM. Man I like how factory stuff fits. THose Chinese projector lamps did not fit nearly as well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 27, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »
The wiring harness is pretty busy. I hid parts out from direct contact with the slipstream and places where splashing water might migrate from. THen I secured the harness best as I could to metal that isn't moving

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 27, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »
Both headlamp units installed

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 27, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »
While the grill was off, I went after that water holding tank and part time flood light replacing it with a larger unit

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 27, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »
THose went in quick enough

Then I turned on the headlights and this is what it looked like:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 27, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »
Yep, there's that superior quality for ya. Definitely worth all the extra money. Retrofit high quality headlights...

I am honestly so fed up with all this crap that has taken over our lives. It doesn't matter how much money you spend on something, It is likely to be made in China or by someone who doesn't give a crap and this is what we are rewarded with.

So, yea, I'm a bit PO'd.

I tore the darned thing out and when I was fussing with the bulb it made a crack sound like you get when starting an arc when welding and lit up. I replaced it, tested it again and it was out once again.

SO I tore it out and just repositioned the bulb a bit by twisting it, and checked every connection everywhere. When I turned the headlights on, it fired up

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 27, 2017, 10:05:25 PM »
I think I figured out that the DRL's running at a reduced voltage is what has played havoc on my LED and KID's over the years, so tonight I pulled the fuses. No more safety sam junk.

Ever notice how this safety stuff actually makes us less safe? My DRL's which go unnoticed sitting in a mammoth truck cause the headlights to burn out. Then I have to drive with one headlight through battalions of deer, opossum, raccoons, sasquatch, and heroin addicts out stealing catalytic converters.

Here are the tow fuses you need to pull. #28 and #30

I think removing them is a felony in commifornia so be careful!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 27, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »
So are too many lights mounted on the truck.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:22:58 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 27, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »
I went for a test drive and holy crap, the lights were all over the place. Need adjustment bad. And there is some very strange "U" shaped shadow pointing off toward the ten o'clock position. This system throws out a lot of light, but not very much of it where I need it. It looks like another expensive goose chase but I'll hold my judgement until after I adjust them tomorrow.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 27, 2017, 10:08:44 PM »
So are to many lights mounted on the truck.
No

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 27, 2017, 10:13:22 PM »
as much as I hate the light bar look, given your desire to drive down the back roads and light everyting up I would look a a rigid curved 50 inch lightbar
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 27, 2017, 10:16:59 PM »
as much as I hate the light bar look, given your desire to drive down the back roads and light everyting up I would look a a rigid curved 50 inch lightbar
I have plenty of light Tex, when the stuff works.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 27, 2017, 11:55:18 PM »
Waiting for light update!  As requested before.  Long range dark road photo, twenty feet back from garage door or wall

Those projector lights didn't put out enough light to be detectable, and they are gone. New ones just installed, but not adjusted...hang with me...
I know the other set are gone.  I still want photos of the set you are making. 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 28, 2017, 12:00:11 AM »
So finished reading. Your scattered light is a product of the incorrect light bulb in the open housing.  If you use high quality projectors with the "eye lid" that opens and shuts with your high low beam function. You will simply smooth out the "hot spots or flare" and allow the beam to shine smoothly.  Let me see if I can find some internet examples 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 28, 2017, 12:06:43 AM »

The quality projector lens acts like a led flashlight. Where it focus the light evenly vs the hot spots

When high beam is used that solid cut off line is removed allowing for a full amount of light.   I have and will continue to preach the right light in correct housing will offer the best light.   But a quality HID kit is the better option than cheap Chinese junk. As you have found

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 28, 2017, 07:21:29 AM »
Dave,
would you list the kits and supplier to achieve the result that you are showing Big D.   

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 28, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »

The quality projector lens acts like a led flashlight. Where it focus the light evenly vs the hot spots

When high beam is used that solid cut off line is removed allowing for a full amount of light.   I have and will continue to preach the right light in correct housing will offer the best light.   But a quality HID kit is the better option than cheap Chinese junk. As you have found

FWIW, my Morimoto kit is installed in a factory projector housing. This could be part of his problem.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 28, 2017, 08:30:28 AM »

Ashley had this on his Chevy & he routinely drove 90 mph in deer infested back roads of Texas. That light bar was pretty impressive I must say....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 28, 2017, 09:58:50 AM »
So finished reading. Your scattered light is a product of the incorrect light bulb in the open housing.  If you use high quality projectors with the "eye lid" that opens and shuts with your high low beam function. You will simply smooth out the "hot spots or flare" and allow the beam to shine smoothly.  Let me see if I can find some internet examples 

I installed the recommended Retrofit HID Morimoto kit. That should have been fine I would think
I ordered new housings which I thought were OEM, however checking the Amazon order, they are ArtZone OEM quality Chinaman units:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UW09QJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The low beam H11 bulbs have three tabs which do not precisely match up to the openings in the bulb socket (Quality issue??) And I do not get a positive stop when turning the bulb to "seat it"

That may explain why I have a line of light going off in a strange direction, I don't know.

I do have the reflector like pattern and not the crisp break in light pattern of the shown projector housing

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 28, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »
The other forum has extensive threads about the pros and cons of Hid in reflector based housing and the errors with them. 

As for the housings you bought.  Unless they were purchased at GM they are usually not GM.  You will pay your youngest child for factory lights unless you sucker someone into giving you theres for what they think are better lights. 

Ultimately the best headlight options are when you take your lights apart, install a miramoto projector and the correct HID light bulb. Re assemble and install.  Retrofit source, Longshot lighting are the two bigger names I remember they will take your lights and build them for you but it is not cheap!   

The LED light bar has similar issues as the led bulbs.  Unless you buy the high end lights you are getting cheap components, poor quality electronics and subpar life. Baja designs makes some amazing light products and for dons application I think that might be the way to go.  Something that lights up the world when needed and he can use regular holigkn lights for neighborhood driving.   

Most of dons light should go off when on coming traffic is approaching anyway. So run a big roof light ( flat black your hood to reduce glare on your eyes) and call it a day

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 29, 2017, 07:28:02 AM »

I installed the recommended Retrofit HID Morimoto kit. That should have been fine I would think
I ordered new housings which I thought were OEM, however checking the Amazon order, they are ArtZone OEM quality Chinaman units:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UW09QJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The low beam H11 bulbs have three tabs which do not precisely match up to the openings in the bulb socket (Quality issue??) And I do not get a positive stop when turning the bulb to "seat it"

That may explain why I have a line of light going off in a strange direction, I don't know.

I do have the reflector like pattern and not the crisp break in light pattern of the shown projector housing

I just looked at the black housing you bought prior to the OEM set & they appear to be a projector style housing. I'd try the Morimoto kit on that housing, do just one side & do a side by side comparison to see if the light is more focused. I apologize if I led you down the wrong path & cost you money, but I still stand by the Morimoto brand.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 29, 2017, 08:55:26 AM »

I just looked at the black housing you bought prior to the OEM set & they appear to be a projector style housing. I'd try the Morimoto kit on that housing, do just one side & do a side by side comparison to see if the light is more focused. I apologize if I led you down the wrong path & cost you money, but I still stand by the Morimoto brand.
Hey, don't worry about it
You were only trying to help
As for the current situation, I adjusted these new housings down to their lowest position and I started to see a coordinated/useable pattern, although it has hot spots and washes out areas. I brought the light up in increments and have something which I think I can use. Now the high beam lights are actually visible and not just filling in the area of the broadcast light. I'll give it a night of way back roads driving tonight/tomorrow and see how it is working out. I'd like to just be done with this.

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 05, 2017, 06:42:03 AM »

Hey, don't worry about it
You were only trying to help
As for the current situation, I adjusted these new housings down to their lowest position and I started to see a coordinated/useable pattern, although it has hot spots and washes out areas. I brought the light up in increments and have something which I think I can use. Now the high beam lights are actually visible and not just filling in the area of the broadcast light. I'll give it a night of way back roads driving tonight/tomorrow and see how it is working out. I'd like to just be done with this.

Update?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 05, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »
Sure,

Strange as it may seem, they are working. I adjusted them all the way down then brought them up bit by bit. Yes, they do have some hot spots and a strange "Eyebrow" however they are illuminating a lot of the road, and unlike my use of the LED's not one opposing driver has flashed his lights at me yet. I note that I cannot see the faces of those drivers until they are right on top of me, so although not perfect, I have workable light.

And I really just want to be done with headlights for awhile.

The other thing is, the left headlight appears to be working so far. That is not saying how long it may last, but for now it has worked.

On another note the BFG tires are working out as well.

They do have a bit of a vibration, but considering they are 37" tall, I was not expecting a Z06 kind of ride. Cornering is still good and towing medium weight trailers which I have now done 4-5 times is normal.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 07, 2017, 10:30:33 PM »
So, I got some country back-roads driving with the new HIDs.

I have to say, they are more than adequate. They still have a couple hotspots, however the light is distributed more to the right away from drivers eyeballs. No one has flashed me yet and I can get along quite nicely on these 55W HIDs. I think I'll close the book on this mod for now.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 08, 2017, 12:28:06 AM »
 :likebutton:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 12, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
Hope you find an answer Don...

After months of fighting my HID lights and all the other junk I kept trying, I must say the smartest thing I did was go back to factory oem lights, oem assembly, and spend $600 or more on a Rigid 30" light bar that mounted directly to my front bumper.  It's been almost 5 years now, and I still have and use that light bar.  Never missed a beat... 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 12, 2017, 11:09:07 PM »
Hope you find an answer Don...

After months of fighting my HID lights and all the other junk I kept trying, I must say the smartest thing I did was go back to factory oem lights, oem assembly, and spend $600 or more on a Rigid 30" light bar that mounted directly to my front bumper.  It's been almost 5 years now, and I still have and use that light bar.  Never missed a beat... 
Hey Ash!

The HIDs are performing well, having recovered from that bumpy start. I contacted Retrofit and we decided to just monitor the thig. If it acts up down the road, they agreed to send me a new set.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 12, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »
OK, getting ready to step off into the next C-Max project

Getting all new tuning for the engine and for the transmission.

I'll be using Motorops, a Ontario based company. I was chatting with Cameron today and luckily he has about the same truck as I do.

I'll start off with the Autocal and 5 position LPS switch with a host of tunes along with the proper transmission recalibration.

The plan is to install a CP3 high pressure pump, then bolt on a compound turbo setup. Something like a S-475 or S-480 over the stocker. Idea here is to lower the EGTs and pick up a little bit of power.

Carmen did that to his truck and was putting 640HP to the ground and drove that for a year on the stock transmission! He replaced his converter with a triple disc billet unit and it was holding fine at over 700HP at the rear wheels. I am not sure if he has since then replaced the Allison with a built unit, but for what I want to do (No racing or horsing around) I'll run the stock trans for a time then upgrade the converter and call it a day.

Initially I'll go with the tuning and run that for a time. Next, I'll install the CP3 and drive that for awhile again, just to sort through any perspective issues, THen I'll go for the compound turbo setup and upgrade the tune on that. I'll finish with the trans converter probably next summer some time.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 12, 2017, 11:20:35 PM »
And that means I will have a H&S tuner available with fully deleted tunes. I'll put that sucker up for sale right after installing the Autocal tunes.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 13, 2017, 12:18:59 AM »
Another oil change...
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 13, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
Poor SQ D......... he must really dislike that old girl :tongue:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 13, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
Well YIKES!
Another oil change...
And I won't mention the green,dust covered, unmentionable...

Oh I guess I just did as well.
 :popcorn:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 13, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
Squirrel !!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: October 13, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 13, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 13, 2017, 05:00:56 PM »
Talking to MotorOps about what I need. Tried twice to order the parts today, but it seems syncing up my free moment and the guy up there was a bigger wall to climb than I had the boots for. Maybe Monday...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 16, 2017, 07:29:17 PM »
Had to change the oil in the D-Max again today. Went with the Mobil synthetic 5W-40 product and a Wix filter this time

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 16, 2017, 07:30:47 PM »
Then I took better notice of that S&B air filter. THe restriction gage thing showed it was clogged. THe motor has not gotten any air for months now!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 16, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
Yep, it's dirty all right!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 16, 2017, 07:32:28 PM »
But it was doing its job!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 16, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
I cleaned that all up with the purple stuff with some soak time then some mild pressure warm water rinse.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 16, 2017, 07:34:39 PM »
I gave it a spritz of the K&N MAF clogging solution and reinstalled it

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 16, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »
Its been what, five or six days since I had the grill out, so I thought I'd pull it again just for more practice!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 16, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
While I had it off, I thought, heck, since I just pulled this thing apart, well, why not install some new chinese spot lights to replace the worn out ones which are 10 months old!
With chinaman stuff, you need to keep your expectations low and you will still likely be disappointed!

Anyway since those HIDs were already rusting (Plastic housings???) I opted for some newer junk. THis iteration will feature these weird looking things which I saw and took the bait and hit the one button order on the amazon prime thievery site.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 16, 2017, 07:40:35 PM »
And unlike the expensive morimoto HIDs these pieces of junk fired right up!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 16, 2017, 07:42:09 PM »
At this early point, these lights have me fooled. They were heavier (Metal housings) and the mounts were very robust. THe plastic covers were pretty stout and lock in these slots in the sides. So far, so good!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 16, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »
One screw each side to pivot, and the smaller one to lock in the desired angle. Definite improvement here!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 16, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »
And the poser shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal