Hello Guest

Author Topic: New to me Chaparral 1800 SCL  (Read 8139 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
New to me Chaparral 1800 SCL
« on: August 13, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
Finally decided to get a real boat. Was not going to drop $25k on a new boat so I started looking on CL via "searchtempest". Wanted something in the 18-20ft area with an open bow for fishing and the extra room. Wanted a V6 but V8 would do, the 3ltr 4cyl was underpowered by all reports. I wanted something clean looking and NO PROJECTS! I found a list of 8 or so in the 2k-8k area, 8k was pushing it. Went by a couple local boat stores and went real shopping on Sat.

This 1993 Chaparral 1800 SCL had all I was looking for. Price was a little more than NADA but for the hours (just 116) and all the little extras I paid $4300. Came with about every little thing you need, plus ski ropes and ski's. Anchor, paddles, PFD, cover and a full tank of fuel. It has a few little dings and scratches, but it is 25 years old. Picked it up from guy who got a bigger boat in Stockton. Pulled it down to Bass Pro shop in Manteca, then home. Pulls great, can hardly feel it. No brakes but it weighs just 2500 with trailer and my 6in drop hitch was perfect for it.

It runs smooth as silk and will get my trail tomorrow at Berryessa. Have to rewire the trailer today, but that is the worst of it. Wife and daughter are busy, so it will be the boys and I with a a friend of theirs. Berryessa is a large lake between Napa and where I live and has great fishing (crappie, bass, trout, cats, salmon and trout) with lots of open water for a new pull toy.

The kids and I love getting out but haven't used the TH in years now. I keep pushing it but they do not like the work before and after its use, so it will go.

With 2 lakes less than an hour from here, several more another hour out.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: New to me Chaparral 1800 SCL
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »
nice
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »
I want to bury one in my back yard, turn the motor area into a bbq and fill rest of inside with water like a hot tub. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 11:06:12 PM »
 :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:01:04 AM »
What engine does it have JR?         edit: found it on your other post...4.3L

Looks like a nice sized cruiser.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:53:37 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:49:16 AM »
Well, first day on the water was fun. Began with turning it over, then click-click. Just a dirty terminal thank goodness. Used a little starter fluid to get it going, guess the choke isn't really working. Just needed it for the first cold start.

Much of the electrical need tinkering, speedo and trim gauge are in op. Trim has a mind of its own. Tach wasn't working at first, but was good after it warmed up some and the rest of the day. Topped off the fuel with just 5gal of 87. Was told gas was from jan and I added some marine stabilizer. 5 hours on the water, maybe 2 hours running and the gauge said "E" so I need to address that. The 4.3 should be good for several days of mild use with a 30+gal tank.

After a little digging it looks like it has the 3.0 prop vs the 4.3. Prop on it is just 13.25x17. Should be a 14.5x19 and also explains the plowing and the RPMs would go well over 5k if I let them.

Lower skeg is about 1/2 its normal size, so a fix there is called for. So prop and trim switch are being sourced. Oh, the cassette deck works!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 03:51:03 AM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
B-reak
O-ut
A-nother
T-housand

looks like a fun first day
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 01:06:15 PM »
Looks like fun!  :cool:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »
really jealous of the access you have to your motor. Looks great Bob, enjoy.
easy speedo fix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQowaxPiwi8

Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »
B-reak
O-ut
A-nother
T-housand

Oh the truth to that...
Nice looking day for sure.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 04:19:30 PM »
B-reak
O-ut
A-nother
T-housand

Oh the truth to that...
Nice looking day for sure.

It would if I paid someone to do all the work. About 200 will cover all this, kids are ready to go out again.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »
Very nice JR.  I may have some things for you if I can scrounge them up.

There is a flush adapter that has a hose connection and two big square rubber "ears that go on both sides of the drive unit to connect the waer hose and flush.

The other is a pump that goes on gear lube and lets you pump gear lube into the lower unit.

Also, buy a spare water pump impeller and keep it handy,

If you don't already have a top sider oil evacuator it makes changing the oil a snap. (works well on cars too)

Check the bilge blower to make sure it works.

Have fun!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 07:56:34 PM »
Thanks TRN. Already checked all the safety stuff, all works fine.

Can't do the impellor on this, its in the lower. I have done others on the water so a spare was nice.

Looking into the oil evac, they are pricey.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 08:01:43 PM »
Oh no. Can’t do it on the water. Have to split the lower. It’s not that hard but it WILL need to be done. Might as well get one

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
$50 at northern tool and you can always find a coupon

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_390306_390306?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpZXFvqLw3AIV3LbACh3zMAJdEAQYASABEgKDIfD_BwE

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 08:16:42 PM »
I wish I would have had that topsider when hh6 has that little Lexus.....

OldKooT

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »
Nice boat JR. We recently sold our Crownline...hoping to down size to just one river Jet boat.

OldKooT

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »
Yah I am with TRN....unless it's been recently done I'd go through the lower carefully. Especially that water pump.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 11:29:43 PM »
I will probably do the pump this winter. It is not hard but in the water would be a chore. Remember, it just has 118hrs on it now. https://youtu.be/IX9A-_zNobQ

Just added the topsider to my cart, that is a good price and I should have a coupon or 2 somewhere.

Oil changes are next, skeg repair, prop and the trim switch (works on auto now while the prop cavitates!)

Has VDO gauges and need to figure out the speedo yet.

After yesterdays use I pulled the drain on the transom and very little came out, pretty clear too. That was good news but it was a little looser than I liked.

Got a few giggles here: https://youtu.be/DHTOm4MDSu4 and I have helped recover some in a previous life,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 05:33:55 PM »

Darn you JR, I started looking too. Found a nice aluminum bay boat, just need to figure out how to pay for it.
 Tate if you know of anyone looking for a nice older glass19ft cuddy with Volvo 151set up, mine just might be for sale soon.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 07:56:41 PM »
Volvo, isn't that a ford? 19ft cuddy would be great for inclimate climate days.

How big is the alum and what size motor you looking at?

Doing prop research on mine now, might do a 4 blade for a little more pull. Looking at the turning points that have diff fin sets that claim the best pull and same top end. Heck just going up from a 13.25 prop to 14 is a lot, then add 2* of pitch!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:02:35 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »

JR, my Volvo is a 4 cyl. Volvo car motor with a 290 Volvo Penta outdrive behind it. The boat is 1989 model Sun Runner. Spends most of its life in a warm garage since fish and wildlife screwed up the fishing, and I don't have get up and go enough to fight the ramp traffic.
The metal boat is 21 ft Thunder Jet off shore with a 200 outboard and a 10 trolling motor. Hard top with Alaskan bulkhead instead of drop curtain and 8.6 wide. hopefully if we get it I can put it on the trailer at the ramp without holding up too many people.

Good luck with the prop search, tough at best. SS about as large a diameter as you can get in there and work with pitch for max rpm at max throttle. Lots of charts out there, have to find a prop shop that will work with you. I have I think a 13x17 on my glass boat and it will creep past rpm max, but good out of the hole and water sports.  Also have a 14x21 takes  longer  time to get on step but does get a few more mph. You Merc set up is most likely different and I do not have much experience with them.
                                                                  edit for prop sizes
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:05:01 AM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 01:22:54 AM »
Sounds like a nice boat and a 10hp to boot. I have a 9.9 outside (new) that I may keep I got for the raft I have. Would make a nice troller but I don't want to drill the boat up. Even a elec troller needs a funky mount out front.

I found a few charts for the prop, watched videos and reviews. The 13 1/4 x 17 gets the boat moving and it planes nice, but it is a bare to get up and revs fast. From what I am reading the 3s are an all around good prop, but a 4 blade will get you up faster, giving up top end. SS is the best, but really out of my price range and still have to find the right size. Charts say a 14.5 x 19 3 blade, go down about an inch for 4 blades.

My motor is the 4.3 with the carter 4bbl, but can't figure if its the 190 or 205 HP. The FI motors are 220hp. I like the 4 blade 14 x 19 with the dual geometry props and will likely try that.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 12:16:06 PM »
JR, another thing to check is to be sure the lower unit is in lowest trim position while starting off with a skier or lots of weight inside the boat. My boat needs to have the trim clear down when starting then moving it up while running gives more speed. All about boat angle, in fact I added trim tabs which really helped when boat is full of people and crab or shrimp gear.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 02:59:48 PM »
That's another issue I am addressing. The trim switch is bad, and has a mind of its own and changes tilt with bounce. It will trim it down and I need to use the store switch to get it up. Goes up/down fine otherwise.

Once I get the right prop I may add a fin to the outdrive if it doesn't get up on step better. Still thinking 14.5x19 (3b) $100 or 14x19 (4b) $140.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 05:32:48 PM »
Those fins do help with lift but watch the mounting area for cracks as there is a lot of pressure put on places that are not built for it. As for the trim, if the outdrive is up at all it really affects the lift needed to get out of the water. If you and Tate are running the same gear and boat he might be able to help with the prop choice.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 06:19:19 PM »
I have a 4 blade, trim ALL the way down to get started when I've got 4+adults, def cuts top end a little, but I'm in rougher saltwater too.

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 10:21:08 PM »
JR, stick a coffee can in next to the helm, throw in a couple 20's every time out. I used to keep a bunch of ones and fives in the truck for ramp fees and did keep a slush fund for boat costs too. Sure helps when parts are needed. Now I just pay to keep the propane tank full to keep the garage nice and warm so the boat doesn't complain too much.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 02:27:53 AM »
Berryessa has a free use ramp! Who would have thought in Cali! That is also the closest lake and big with good fishing. Main running cost is fuel for now. I topped it off when I went out and its on empty now. Think I used less than 20 but still have to fuel it up.

I went over more videos and calcs and picked a prop. I was kinda hoping to get a solas, as they are the cheapest and I have the hub already. Ended up getting a Turning Point 4 blade 14x19. That is up 3/4 from my current and 2 more degrees pitch and the 4th blade. I may give up a little top end but should gain mid range and get a better hole shot from it. Was only 130 shipped and I have a spare now and a solas hub if I play more.

Looking at the skeg now. I can get a SS slip over for under 100, or a weld on for 40, then the welding which I would guess for another 100.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 12:59:17 AM »
Looks like the hour meter is not working, still has 116 hours after a day of use. Don't think it is far off though. Going to do a comp check, tune and oil change soon.

Looking for this 25 year old wiring assm for a quicksilver throttle. Also found a bunch of tools under the back seat, a little bonus.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 05:03:18 AM »
Do you need the assembly or just the trim switch?

Check Mouser for the switch if you don’t mind sorting through a million different switches. Helps to know the type, e.g., spdt, momentary on, on/off/on configuration as they have a search filter. 

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 02:34:04 PM »
SPDT, momentary on/off/on. Posted on Iboats and starting to get some replies.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
Jr.... Tate... words of motivation.

No matter how frustrating your boat may at times become...I find keeping a cordless drill with a hole saw in the chuck reduces a boats likely hood of being problematic.

It also helps us the owners evaluate concerns rationally.... "should I saw...or not"

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 03:09:10 PM »
Jr.... Tate... words of motivation.

No matter how frustrating your boat may at times become...I find keeping a cordless drill with a hole saw in the chuck reduces a boats likely hood of being problematic.

It also helps us the owners evaluate concerns rationally.... "should I saw...or not, and how far from shore can I swim"

FIFY  :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »
Surely you must have a boat or 2 in that barn?

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »
Yah Jr...... hence my advice LoL

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »
Cordless, sawzall, insurance policy. Check.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »
Cordless, sawzall, insurance policy. Check.

They are full of foam, holes only make it wet inside, not sink it.

Ordered a weld on skeg and a switch I have to wire in, but should work. Even wife said she wants to go out in it and hasn't really got on me either.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2018, 05:12:20 PM »
So the new prop came in and already got it on. Switch too but that will be for another post since I have to make it fit and wire it.

Doesn't look much bigger, (isn't really) but it is 3/4 larger dia. (13.25 to 14in). Would have been a 14.5 if keeping 3 blades.

Big diff are the extra blade and it has 2 profiles for holeshots and maneuvering. Also has vents drilled at the base of each blade supposed to help with exhaust cavitation on the low end while not affecting the the top end.

Also I went to a 19 pitch, up from the 17 on the original prop. Now I have a spare too which is always good, but having a 14.5x19 spare would be nice.

Sure, SS would be nice, but 3-4 times the price and all you get is a thinner blade with less slippage and cavatation.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2018, 06:37:09 PM »

JR, a good spare is good to have regardless. Maybe not as good as the damaged one you need to replace out on a trip, but still will get you by for the weekend or whatever.
 I hope you didn't over do it, being 3/4" larger and 4 blades and 2" more pitch. You might not get to the high end rpm with it and getting up on plane with many people might be a challenge. Then again it might just be the perfect set up, get it out on the water and check it out. Bolting on a fin isn't the best choice but they sure provide a quicker get up on plane if needed. I put a set of auto adjusting trim tabs on mine years ago, and they really helped.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »
Used a bunch of calcs and I am still right in the middle for size/pitch.

Fin is the last option. From what I read the prop is the key.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2018, 08:38:33 PM »
Sounds like all is good then, enjoy.....

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2018, 09:09:24 PM »
Two best days in life with a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it lol

My boss keeps talking about wanting a boat and I keep tellin his to save his $

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2018, 09:10:53 PM »
Two best days in life with a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it lol

My boss keeps talking about wanting a boat and I keep tellin his to save his $

I own a Jeep, I won’t be buying another money pit......

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2018, 09:17:59 PM »
Oh boy, well I put a deposit down a boat last week. My wife loves the water but gets cold way to easy so trying a closed cabin this time. Hope this one fits the bill as enough is enough. Now need to sell the two I have and hope for the best. No pic cause I don't have it yet, hope it isn't the big hole you guys talk about all the time. Just want to cruise around and maybe fish a bit and keep the wife happy, so don't rub it in too much ok. I will post a photo or two once I get it home.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2018, 09:19:24 PM »
Oh boy, well I put a deposit down a boat last week. My wife loves the water but gets cold way to easy so trying a closed cabin this time. Hope this one fits the bill as enough is enough. Now need to sell the two I have and hope for the best. No pic cause I don't have it yet, hope it isn't the big hole you guys talk about all the time. Just want to cruise around and maybe fish a bit and keep the wife happy, so don't rub it in too much ok. I will post a photo or two once I get it home.

Yeah, so let me get this straight. You have a Jeep right? And now 3 boats?  :popcorn:

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2018, 09:30:53 PM »
WELL, yes...Only use the jeep for hunting, river sled only used for short time in winter, bay boat hasn't been in the water for a couple years or more. And the newest one isn't home yet.... Yes guilty but......

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »
WELL, yes...Only use the jeep for hunting, river sled only used for short time in winter, bay boat hasn't been in the water for a couple years or more. And the newest one isn't home yet.... Yes guilty but......

Sell the boats and we’ll build those Jeep axles!  :tongue:

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2018, 09:35:38 PM »
Man, you talk about a money pit. I will leave the jeep stock, at least for now.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2018, 09:42:26 PM »
Man, you talk about a money pit. I will leave the jeep stock, at least for now.

Yeah, but I only have 1!  :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal