Hello Guest

Author Topic: BigDaves_2023 3500HD DRW  (Read 9664 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: BigDaves_2023 3500HD DRW
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2022, 11:05:34 PM »
It rolls up nice and snug, doesn’t block my hole window, doesn’t rest against the cab like them stupid tri fold deals

Not sturdy enough to walk on like I could on my fiberglass hard cover. But again this rolls up so I don’t need to walk on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2022, 07:56:06 AM »
My bak flip folder didn’t rest against the cab.  It had some struts to hold it in place

Nice work there Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2022, 08:01:28 AM »
My bak flip folder didn’t rest against the cab.  It had some struts to hold it in place

Nice work there Dave

I few months back I polished a red cumins and his bed cover rested firmly against the cab with his struts on. I assumed they all had that issue. 

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2022, 10:43:51 AM »
Super clean/nice. I recently looked at this cover...considered it should I remove the topper from my truck.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2022, 11:32:18 AM »
Super clean/nice. I recently looked at this cover...considered it should I remove the topper from my truck.
I wish it was a little more over the bed caps.  It doesn’t utilize enough of the carrying capacity I think. 
But it seemed to not flip n flop on the highway like some of the soft covers that roll up

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2022, 11:47:19 AM »
Don, if you never use the space provided by the topper and never plan to then change to the cover of your choice. Just remember you will be the guy with the blue tarp flapping in the wind first time you need to haul something that needs to be contained and is higher than the cover that is rolled up out of the way.
Dave, nice looking addition to the truck. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2022, 05:32:14 PM »
Don, if you never use the space provided by the topper and never plan to then change to the cover of your choice. Just remember you will be the guy with the blue tarp flapping in the wind first time you need to haul something that needs to be contained and is higher than the cover that is rolled up out of the way.
Dave, nice looking addition to the truck. 
Only on rare occasions do I use the added dry space...

I like the one Dave installed if it's like the one I looked like

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2022, 11:12:51 PM »
It’s sure not much to look at as far as pictures but. A buddy from a forum not to be mentioned cut these out for me as it’s his business, made a trip to see him and hang out a few hours

We are twinners so to speak color and year and model minus my hips.

Anyway he cut out PPF film for the dreadful door seals that every person with shoes drags their feet on.  Getting in and out will soon enough take the paint right off so these cover that area.  No silly stainless to catch stuff behind just good old clear protection.

You can barley see it on the doors but in a hour or so it should be good to go!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2022, 11:38:02 AM »
That' a good idea, and looks good too

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2022, 02:44:35 PM »
Had my first need to boggy moment in the truck and I’ll tell ya what. A smooth acceleration to full throttle is much faster then the ever foot to the floor right now method.

So that being said I have ordered banks Idash data monster, the pedal monster, the ram air intake system and soon to come the banks exhaust when offered for a DRW truck.

https://bankspower.com/products/cold-air-intake-42266-2020-2021-chevy-gmc-2500-3500-6-6l-duramax-l5p

https://bankspower.com/products/throttle-controller-64311-pedalmonster-throttle-sensitivity-booster-for-use-existing-idash-or-derringer-for-many-cadillac-chevy-gmc-chrysler-dodge-ram-ford-jeep-lincoln-mazda

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2022, 11:22:35 AM »
Had my first need to boggy moment in the truck and I’ll tell ya what. A smooth acceleration to full throttle is much faster then the ever foot to the floor right now method.

So that being said I have ordered banks Idash data monster, the pedal monster, the ram air intake system and soon to come the banks exhaust when offered for a DRW truck.

https://bankspower.com/products/cold-air-intake-42266-2020-2021-chevy-gmc-2500-3500-6-6l-duramax-l5p

https://bankspower.com/products/throttle-controller-64311-pedalmonster-throttle-sensitivity-booster-for-use-existing-idash-or-derringer-for-many-cadillac-chevy-gmc-chrysler-dodge-ram-ford-jeep-lincoln-mazda

I added the pedal commander to my D-max. It for sure makes the truck boogie!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2022, 12:10:24 PM »
I had it on my 17 and was happy with it

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2022, 02:54:59 PM »
New b&w base came today so I mounted it up fancy like!

From top of plate to bed rail 3” from bottom of trailer plate to trailer is 11”. Should give me 8” of clearance between the two immovable objects to avoid bed contact and selling yet another truck
Next up trailer hook up

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2022, 08:11:56 PM »
As per Don, @tate has picked up some new brands to offer and maybe he will chime in here but these upper control arms looks awesome!!

https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/accessory/16063/icon%2Daccessories%2D20%2Dup%2Dgm%2D2500hd%2D3500%2D0%2D2%2Dstage%2D3%2Dsuspension%2Dsystem/

If they work with stock wheels on a dually I might be game to check it out.   I’d love to get this truck a little taller upfront with some larger tires that fit my flavor more then stock Michelins tires

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2022, 04:10:28 PM »
They DO fit OEM wheels;-) shot you an email.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2022, 06:08:42 PM »
Did some wire stuff today from boostauto

The all on headlights, the reverse lights and mirror lights.
Simple enough to follow their YouTube videos

Then I set about wrapping the grill sections

This is a buddies and I really liked it wrapped in black so I’m copying his

My fingers are bloody from pushing the vinyl around so I stopped.

Did the dumb wood grain trim inside the cab also

Much better until I get the grill finished and the passenger area in the back finished.

Next thing should be some reverse bulbs to a higher quality LED bulb. The gm LED package didn’t replace the reverse bulb, or the license plate to LED so I’ll fix that also

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2022, 08:51:28 PM »
Dave, did you ceramic coat anything on this truck? Seems like that flavor of product would be your area of expertise.

We have done the glass and interior of the Model Y so far. Have the stuff to do the wheels and the rest of the body, just haven’t done it yet.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2022, 09:44:42 PM »
Dave, did you ceramic coat anything on this truck? Seems like that flavor of product would be your area of expertise.

We have done the glass and interior of the Model Y so far. Have the stuff to do the wheels and the rest of the body, just haven’t done it yet.
Yes, I used a less permanent coating from Meguiars

I wanted to be able to have some hydrophobic properties but still be able to polish and wax which is my preferred method of clean.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-paint-coating-pro-grade-protection-durability-thats-easy-use

All the glass is ceramic tinted, the hood and fenders and PPF coated with Xpel

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2022, 01:50:49 AM »

I wanted to be able to have some hydrophobic properties but still be able to polish and wax which is my preferred method of clean.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-paint-coating-pro-grade-protection-durability-thats-easy-use

I need to get some of that ppf on this object attracting blue car, seems to be a quality product.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2022, 07:34:34 AM »

I need to get some of that ppf on this object attracting blue car, seems to be a quality product.
It has been really nice on the truck for sure. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2022, 06:20:14 PM »
I PPF everything. It’s the best thing since sliced bread!

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2022, 06:21:27 PM »
Dave you really need a solid onboard air system like I did on my dually. Which I understand recently received a major HP upgrade BTW

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2022, 07:02:08 PM »
I PPF everything. It’s the best thing since sliced bread!

Whole vehicle or just the front facing sections?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2022, 08:39:20 PM »
Mostly I do the bumper , lights, mirrors, and a partial on the hood.

On the wife’s I did full front. Full hood, full fenders, front bumper lights and mirrors

In my sissy truck I did another special piece on the C pillar to protect against the buckles on my brief case/bag hitting the truck when I threw it in the back seat. Also did the rear bumper since it was painted.

Full body wraps are a waste unless you were like the guy in the shop that was having his entire Cadillac ESV-V wrapped. It was gloss black but he had a matte wrap out on it that made it matte black. It was sick!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2022, 09:52:08 PM »
I’d say with PPF it is worth every penny you can afford.  Iv had only two vehicles with it but I’m a believer now.  I dropped a large flat head tip down on my door jam Sunday. It didn’t chip, scratch, nick or anything to the PPF.  If it was paint the screwdriver would have chipped the paint.
I love I can close my hood no matter how dirty the hood is. The ppf protects it !!

On board air huh? I can honestly say that as of my last trip I wasn’t even going to do airbags in this. It pulls so flipping smooth and steady, just like you said, it rides great!

Other then air bags Charles what else would I use the air for?  Iv thought about retro fitting a compressor for air horns and then a air blower under the driver seat. I have found my Peterbilt floors look so much better when I blow my boots off before I get in. I think an air hose under my seat for that would be bitchen lol

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2022, 10:58:01 AM »
Milton coupler near the rear receiver. Air tools.  I carried an air over hydraulic bottle jack and an impact. When the family is sitting on the side of the road, those will make getting back on the road much easier.  Also, inflating flat tires, blowing up floats at the lake, and being a hero in the RV park when someone else breaks…

You’ll never regret it.  5 gal tank fed by two 440C vi air will run everything you could ever want.

Air horns are a must for the morons that pull in front of you when you are towing heavy….

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »
Milton coupler near the rear receiver. Air tools.  I carried an air over hydraulic bottle jack and an impact. When the family is sitting on the side of the road, those will make getting back on the road much easier.  Also, inflating flat tires, blowing up floats at the lake, and being a hero in the RV park when someone else breaks…

You’ll never regret it.  5 gal tank fed by two 440C vi air will run everything you could ever want.

Air horns are a must for the morons that pull in front of you when you are towing heavy….

I think the tank I have sitting on the shelf is three gallon for the two viaair pumps we have on the dodge. But yea I agree with on board air for all the things. We had it on our 4runner years ago, such a wonderful add to a rig.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2022, 04:25:34 PM »
I guess my air tool logic stopped with the air compressor I have in the Rv.  Fire up the built in generator and plug the compressor.
Iv changed a tire with it and them triangle block deals. Plenty of dirt bike tires

Where did you have a five gallon tank mounted at Charles?

Is sure wish I had the funds at the time you were cutting your truck out. It was sure set up nice

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2022, 07:56:37 PM »
The LMLs are antiques compared to the new ones. So much quieter.

I had a 5 gallon tank mounted inboard of the frame under the driver, and the compressors were mounted in the hollow area in the front of the dually fenders

I think my build thread had all that info and detail

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2022, 11:54:05 AM »
Got around to replacing the reverse lights and the license plate lights to LED like I paid for from GM. Some silly reason the LED light package and the high country trucks that I have seen have LED white lights in some spots but not all spots, the reverse and plate lights were not included in that group, the forward turn signals also were not included in that.

Limited-time deal: SEALIGHT 194 LED Bulbs 6000K White, 168 2825 T10 W5W 3030 Bright LED Chips, Dome Light, Map Light, Door Light, Courtesy Light, License Plate Light, Pack of 10 https://a.co/d/36h5rK5

SEALIGHT 921 LED Bulbs, 912 921 LED Bulb Reverse Light T15 Backup Light LED 2600Lumens 6000K Xenon White W16W 906 904 902 Super Bright Light, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/7TctWWW

They don’t seem to put out an extreme amount of light but nearly 1/4 the price of diode dynamics or other high end they work and to be honest the back up camera really eliminates the need for bright lights

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2022, 08:41:17 AM »
Had a few min this morning so I replaced my bow tie. 
No noticeable power gain or torque but it looks better to me lol

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2022, 12:52:37 PM »

MPG's??
;-)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2022, 01:20:07 PM »

Dave, is it supposed to still be a bow tie?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2022, 10:38:08 PM »

MPG's??
;-)
No noticeable fuel economy increase while on my 2.8 mile drive to the shop, I’ll test freeway mpg this weekend while out visiting family to be sure.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2022, 10:38:44 PM »

Dave, is it supposed to still be a bow tie?
No I’m pretty sure it’s still supposed to be a bow tie just more of a Black tie afar.   

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2023, 05:59:24 PM »
Got a box of truck goodies and cleanin things today

Cb radio stuff is next

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2023, 11:23:47 PM »
Washed the last three weeks of winter off the truck with assistance from the twins (so scary for me) keeping a watchful eye so they don’t drop a wash mit or some obscure mud speck I missed while rinsing off.

Used my new Adams garden hose foam cannon

https://adamspolishes.com/products/adam-s-new-standard-foam-gun-32oz

Found some water spots on the rear fenders with some light scratches from I assume washing. Even using two wash buckets, fresh wash mitt only used on my truck you still manage to pick up particles that scratch.  That’s why paint maintenance is key.

You can see them in the overhead garage light reflection.

It still beads water really well after decontamination and washing. Happy with the products so far.

I have another trip to Idaho to get some CB stuff installed, tuned and calibrated in the DRW. Going to mount up some dash cameras as well.

When I get back from there I’ll polish, not compound but polish the paint and re seal.

Looks good still

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2023, 09:00:32 AM »
Looks good.

Wish you lived close to me. I’d keep you busy on that black Yukon

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2023, 09:34:28 AM »
Looks good.

Wish you lived close to me. I’d keep you busy on that black Yukon

That black beauty would be great if it was your only task every day. 
To just wake up wash n wax   
It sure looks good!

I guess gm is doing that black chrome package on the HD this next change.  It will look good on them all.

Did talk the wife out of a new vehicle to our fleet. I don’t have to worry about that now

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2023, 10:55:24 AM »
The North sky blue on your truck is my favorite GM color. Darker than the Hydro-blue on my jeep and lighter than Ford's "Anti-matter blue.

My fav blue of all time is a toss-up between the B-5 Mopar blue and Lemans blue used in 66-67 on Vettes.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2023, 11:09:00 AM »
See now I really like the bright Atlas blue ford has a lot.

The gm 1500’s have a brighter blue option as well that I like.

I came to the options I wouldn’t do black ever again, I hate silver, I like white but they have always been white. I love red and mom hates it. So blue it was

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2023, 11:33:26 AM »
See now I really like the bright Atlas blue ford has a lot.

The gm 1500’s have a brighter blue option as well that I like.

I came to the options I wouldn’t do black ever again, I hate silver, I like white but they have always been white. I love red and mom hates it. So blue it was

There is an Atlas-blue Tremor sitting in the driveway across from my house. Pretty truck!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2023, 06:43:04 PM »
Got back into the dash of the truck today to mount my vantrue camera the wife got me for Christmas

Vantrue N4 3 Channel 4K Dash Cam, 4K+1080P Front and Rear, 1440P+1440P Front and Inside, 1440P+1440P+1080P Three Way Triple Car Camera, IR Night Vision, 24hr Parking Mode, Capacitor, Support 256GB Max https://a.co/d/hiWUYUg

Fairly straight forward install.
Had to order a hardwire power kit and SD card as they box doesn’t come with it.

Started at the rear camera by pullin the door seals and fishing wire over he headliner down the driver side up to the rear view mirror. I coiled the excess up and tucked it above the driver head.

Then attached it to the camera

I tried mounting it higher behind the mirror but it blocks the rotation of the mirror so lower it went.  The camera has a view screen of the front, cab, and rear views so I figured I should leave it visible.
Then to power the camera system I ran the power wire down the passenger side pillar to the passenger side fuse box.

After that I went for the UsB plugs that came this week.  The usb distribution block didn’t work so I went another direction

I picked up two of these

[Upgraded Version] Quick Charge... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LKRDG2T?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Popped two holes with the hole saw and ran the wires to the same location as the camera to hook up later for constant power.

I’ll hook this up after I get the CB radio buttoned up.  Still waiting on rightchannelradios.com to get me the correct antenna mount for the hood and I’ll start on that mess.  I want to mount my head unit under the seat, the controls are on the mic so I’ll hang the handle below the start ignition button if the wires allow.  The 3’ antenna will be on the driver side of the hood close to the windshield.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2023, 06:48:07 PM »
The unit that the cb shop said would fit doesn’t fit real well with out rubbing on paint and I can’t be having any of that

There is four bends in the bracket and it appears the third bend is at the wrong angle for driver side. Passenger side the slope would match the fender line but it then leans the antenna forward not vertical or even aft.  So I’m in contact with them and their vender to get it sorted out.
If they can’t sort it out I’ll be going with one of these.

ZROADZ Ditch Hood Hinge LED Mounting Bracket - Compatible w/ 2019-2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 - to Mount (2) 3 Inch LED Pod Lights - Mild Steel Gloss Black Finish - Bolt-On Installation - PN #Z362181 https://a.co/d/8UtiCZj

These are stout design and would give a good location for the antenna but not ideal to have it moving on the hood for cable routing and such.  I’ll give it a try and or modify if need be

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2023, 09:24:53 PM »
Why don’t you just drill a hole in the fender?  That’s what the did in the old days.  Or get a window mount that pinches between the glass and the channel. :)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2023, 09:52:28 PM »
I didn’t spend 80k on a truck to drill a hole in it is why. Simply don’t believe in it. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2023, 11:13:49 PM »
You’d get better reception and transmission if you have it in the middle of the roof as the metal surface acts as the ground plane.

And if you put a hole there it wouldn’t be so noticeable.   Or get a magnetic mount.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2023, 11:33:40 PM »
You’d get better reception and transmission if you have it in the middle of the roof as the metal surface acts as the ground plane.

And if you put a hole there it wouldn’t be so noticeable.   Or get a magnetic mount.

Definitely not going on the roof. I have a bracket that will mount on my bed cover but that’s last resort

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2023, 10:35:08 AM »

Definitely not going on the roof. I have a bracket that will mount on my bed cover but that’s last resort

Double tap on the roof.
Not that noticeable, and enhanced performance. Seems worthy of consideration....

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2023, 02:13:09 PM »
I’ll post a few more photos when I get home and in my garage but I’m here to tell ya. The CB radio tuning stuff can be as basic or simple for some plug n play junk but in [USER=643346]@flyinhawaiian968[/USER] style he doesn’t do it that way at all!!

Each part for the RF was cleaned and inspected, then each part was added and tuned for maximum function via the brass screw at the top of antenna.
We started by tuning each antenna

[ATTACH=full]1112771[/ATTACH]
Had to drill the mount holes a little larger, then a ground screw hole as well.

Pulled each RF cable through the firewall using GM’s designed grommets, attached to the antenna and chased around in the cab. Chris made short work of all things. After a test drive Down the road we were able to talk to each other via the shop radio. Both of us seemed pleased with the results.

Then chris wouldn’t let me leave before he did at least one of the grill bars in a good n clean non wrinkle

That completes the grill now!

Then turned direction to hard wiring the USB plugs, driving cameras, and constant power to the CB radio.

The antennas have a bit of forward cant but I’m very happy with the function and the look. Using the antenna Quick connects I can pop them off real fast.

Time for bed, then head home tomorrow before it starts raining here. Can’t be havin dirty trucks!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal