Hello Guest

Author Topic: Something old, something new, both are blue!  (Read 1149 times)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Something old, something new, both are blue!
« on: October 06, 2022, 02:06:31 AM »
This past weekend wife and I had the opportunity to spend the weekend in Honolulu for a marriage retreat, if you ever get the opportunity HIGHLY recommend!

While we were down town we took the opportunity to walk around one of the malls, even though its called International Market place. In the marketplace they happen to have a showroom  :grin:

Said showroom is nothing more than an expensive rent for the company, where tire kickers of all walks come in and oogle at the merchandise. Like we had before we also joined the oogling, not thinking much of it but just look. So she looked while I had a conversation with the rep at the desk. After looking she comes over and tells me she likes the super expensive one, because who doesn't!

So we leave and go have lunch and do a lot of math. In the math we realize it actually makes sense to let go of the Tacoma and move into something else.
We go back to the showroom talk a tiny bit more and take one of their Model Ys for an hour long drive.

So, Tesla has several Ys on the island. Black performance and red long range. We borrowed a Y performance as its what we were interested in as they are cheaper for some reason. Drove out to Koko head and back, stopped back in the showroom to drop off the keycard and ask a few more questions.

We went home did some more math, thinking, talking, pondering.

You see, wife and I are in an interesting situation, where for the foreseeable future our electricity is included in our rent. What does this mean, we instantly save 200-300$ a month in gas savings buy owning the Model Y vs the Tacoma.  Then, insurance. Any guesses? You probably guessed it is substantially higher than our old Tacoma. NOPE!!! It is 9$ a month more so $54 over a six month period. Most certainly acceptable go without a six pack one week or some such to offset, done deal.  Ok, so why does it make sense?

Cost of Tacoma is right at $840 a month with gas, payment, and oil change ever six months averaged out. Cost of a Model Y with 20-30k down, varies depending on length of course but it is as low as 678 or as high as around 1100 on a 48month loan. So this is where it really began to make sense. After the first year of ownership we will be well ahead compared to owning the Tacoma, one big reason is we will need to replace tires soon on Taco. Sure the Y will need tires too, but not for a few years cost savings is how we see that, even if it is a delayed expense.

So why a Tesla and not a camry, ultimately it comes down to "free" fuel. The Y will be powered by our rent, where as the Camry or whatever else will be powered by our magnificent dinos. Why a Tesla and not a new 2500 GMC Sierra (we looked heavily)? We have our old tractor that will do all truck duties without question, our 1974 W200 Power Wagon with an oil burner 6BT in it!

Instead of buying one of the Model Ys on island, we looked at their website and it showed we could order one and it would arrive within the next 8 weeks. Seems like a long time, BUT to get what you want, color, options, whosits and whatsits, we chose to order. We wanted blue, not black so both rigs would be blue. Silly? Sure, but when you stand together in your decision why settle for instant gratification! Thus we ordered a Blue Model Y with a white interior and the factory installed hitch so we can carry our bikes when we so choose :)

Now, a couple comments on Tesla as a "dealer." Wow, it is like nothing else buying from them. The showroom hosts WILL NOT contact you if you don't want. If you give an email, they simply send a "Hi, thanks for stopping in" and never reach back out. It is so YOU can contact them. No snake oil phone calls "Are you ready to buy, we just got the greatest great in," bs line that 99% of dealers operate with. Then the ordering, which is weird to say alone, but it is simply like ordering a computer.

When you order, you can order on your phone through the app or you can order on a computer through their website, you can also order in the showroom with a rep if you so chose. It is simple in all three places, and the same. You select your model S 3 X Y, then you select battery/motor (performance, long range, plaid), then color. Pay your 250$ deposit and wait for email to ask you to begin your delivery process, your Tesla is now ordered.

So this is where it kind of gets interesting. When we ordered it said delivery would be Oct-Nov. Two days later, we have a delivery date of Oct 16-30. I offered our Tacoma as trade, waiting for a response on that. They were close from the get go of what we will probably get by selling it to Terrance on the street, but we'll see, as it is listed. So far it seems like it is following suite with what Don and Duane's delivery experience was. Due to my location I KNOW it has a 7-8 day trip from Texas, boats just don't move that fast.

So why did we buy a Model Y instead of a Model 3? Wife hates cars :lol: The Model Y is as close to car as we can get (more like a small mini-van). So when it arrives we will have it, our Dodge, and we also have a 1999 4runner. Should be a happy medium of vehicles I think. Old and Smoky in the blue Dodge, New and fast in the blue Y.

If you made it through all of this, thanks I hope you learned something :)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Something old, something new, both are blue!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 11:25:06 AM »
 :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 12:46:58 PM »
Solid logic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 07:47:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing, T

Couple of things I learned.

First, you can skip on the Tesla glass roof fabric cover. Just tint it with the ceramic tint. I went with 50% on the roof panel, I think. Without doing that your head will get hot from the glass.

Other than that, I just received my moveable dash monitor apparatus which I will install shortly. I picked up that plus a glare-free screen cover. I want to say I was around $200 for both.

Other than a specific charge cable adapter dog-bone, you won't need anything.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 08:42:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing, T

First, you can skip on the Tesla glass roof fabric cover. Just tint it with the ceramic tint. I went with 50% on the roof panel, I think. Without doing that your head will get hot from the glass.

Other than that, I just received my moveable dash monitor apparatus which I will install shortly. I picked up that plus a glare-free screen cover. I want to say I was around $200 for both.

Movable dash monitor thing? Share some more info! Does it allow the screen to pivot, cause that would be magnificent!

We’re gonna have it ceramic tinted and the ceramic paint coating done as well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 12:17:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing, T

Movable dash monitor thing? Share some more info! Does it allow the screen to pivot, cause that would be magnificent!

Yes, 30 degrees side to side and 15 degrees up and down...And mounts screen 1" lower so you see more over the top of it

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 09:22:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing, T

Yes, 30 degrees side to side and 15 degrees up and down...And mounts screen 1" lower so you see more over the top of it
Hmm, will need to look into this! I like the idea for sure!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 12:54:28 AM »
Just an intersting note, if you order one there is no real communication until a vin is assigned. With that, our original delivery date was oct 16-30. Oct 10th hit and they adjusted it to oct 31-nov 28. Today hit, and they adjusted it to Oct 23-nov 4. We do not yet have a VIN, so I only know the dates change cause I check it in the app.

I believe once Vin is assigned we will know if they are going to bring it to the house or we have to go pick it up. We will also get insurance quoted to the Vin at that time and finalize financing.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 08:04:21 PM »
Once you get a VIN, delivery is close at hand.

I first thought Tesla assigned the VIN, then started to build your car, but not so (I think) I now believe they build your car and subject to everything coming out OK in the final checks, that VIN becomes acceptable and assigned to that order number.
That's my theory, and I may certainly be wrong, but my vin was assigned, then the car shipped within days. No way the car could have rolled through the factory that quick.
BTW, Loving mine. I banged up a wheel and had to order another one. Cost me $423 to the door for a refurbished one.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 08:32:42 PM »
Don, since you don’t pay as you go how often do you have to send in the road use tax? And just how do they figure it if you travel between states.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 09:01:32 AM »
Don, since you don’t pay as you go how often do you have to send in the road use tax? And just how do they figure it if you travel between states.
Bob, in Kentucky we pay a value tax. Will be around $500-$600 for the T-car. Other than that no one taxes anything, no one cares. When the guberment figures out EV's don't pay gas tax to repair roads, they will come up with something which will spoil their agenda and selling point which seems to be "Buy an electric car cause it's free." Now you can't have reality spoiling their nice selling points, now can we. My bet is ICE vehicles will shoulder the burden for years and years into the future, because, at this point, who can afford an EV???

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 03:37:58 AM »
So we took delivery of our Model Y Performance today. The actual pickup of the Y was less than stellar. We sat around for over an hour before Lil Blue showed up at the service center for us to pick up. All in all, we were at the service center for just under two hours.

Another downside, prices on items in the physical store are different than what they are on the website, annoying.

Tesla is weird in that they make updates as vehicles come off the line. I have seen some 2022s with out the radar sensors that our 2023 has. Like wise, 2022s from September that came with the rear cargo cover, and ours did not. Unsure about a few other recent changes like new cameras and what have you.

Overall, we are still very satisfied with our coal burning purchase!

Made me up a 6awg extension cord to get power to the charger.

We are taking it in for tint tomorrow. And still need to find a shop for ceramic coating.

So we officially have a coal burner and a coal roller

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 02:06:14 PM »
Sharp looking ride Turner.

Hope you don't get the urge to aquire a Jeep in the next week. :)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »

I heard that!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 03:18:31 PM »

Thanks Ken, we like it!

As far as a jeep, Not something ever considered by her or I. Owned one once LONG ago, that was enough for me.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 05:35:04 PM »
Congrats Turner! 

I went for a ride in my buddy’s X Plaid and I think I got brain damage from the acceleration.

Mind boggling. Literally.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2022, 08:25:56 PM »
Congrats Turner! 

I went for a ride in my buddy’s X Plaid and I think I got brain damage from the acceleration.

Mind boggling. Literally.

Thanks Charles.

Plaid is a whole different level! Ours being the performance is PLENTY! Looking forward to about three years from now when we can trade it for a tri motor cyber truck.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 08:53:27 PM by wyorunner »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2022, 09:05:52 PM »
Sharp ride Turner

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2022, 10:40:08 AM »
Another fallen soldier I see, stepped towards the dark side to be lost for a few weeks at least

Got in an argument with my teen the other night.  Him telling me about all the “ aftermarket “ things you can do to a Tesla.  I asked him which one added HP or torque or mileage to the battery? He opens tesla website and starts showing me the model plaid and such.  I laughed because I have failed to teach him the meaning of “aftermarket” I guess.

His sperm supplier dads brother has a tesla and that’s all we have heard about is the fk tesla this and that. I asked him if it tows their motorcycle? Their boat? How it does to move the push mower to the small engine repair… he said they sold the bike and boat, and now pays to have the lawn mowed.   I’m sure the topic will come up again

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2022, 02:08:20 PM »
Another fallen soldier I see, stepped towards the dark side to be lost for a few weeks at least

Got in an argument with my teen the other night.  Him telling me about all the “ aftermarket “ things you can do to a Tesla.  I asked him which one added HP or torque or mileage to the battery? He opens tesla website and starts showing me the model plaid and such.  I laughed because I have failed to teach him the meaning of “aftermarket” I guess.

His sperm supplier dads brother has a tesla and that’s all we have heard about is the fk tesla this and that. I asked him if it tows their motorcycle? Their boat? How it does to move the push mower to the small engine repair… he said they sold the bike and boat, and now pays to have the lawn mowed.   I’m sure the topic will come up again

I think this is a common occurrence for Tesla owners, get rid of things to accommodate the vehicle. Where as, we bought it because Wyoming is a huge coal producer and I like to support the power company

Oh and it is actually a smart decision for us considering the cost to fuel the thing and insurance being basically the same price as the TacoMa.

We also had the hitch installed on ours so for the off chance the dodge is down (like right now, ffs) we can tow a little trailer to haul things. Or more importantly carry a bike rack to other places to ride bikes than just around the house. Ford Island has a four mile loop that is enjoyable.

I don’t care who tells you what, at current these things are not capable of long distance towing, to and from town for a load of dirt or something, sure. Tow capacity is 3500lbs on the model Y. Surprisingly it is a 2” receiver in there as well!

As far as aftermarket power, zip, zero, zilch, nada! Ultimately they don’t need it, other than to fill a modifiers need to modify.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2022, 09:07:36 PM »

Lol, use what you’ve got!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2022, 09:52:34 PM »
That a boy!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2022, 10:34:49 AM »
Cool!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2022, 12:11:54 PM »
So what’s the status on the Cummins? Head getting shipped out for an overhaul and some upgrades?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2022, 01:09:37 PM »
So what’s the status on the Cummins? Head getting shipped out for an overhaul and some upgrades?
All things point to the front seal on the IP having gave up on life. Dropped it off at the only fuel injection shop in Hawaii, thankfully they are Bosch certified. Hopefully they are able to put a new seal in tomorrow and then I’ll put the pump back in and see if the crank case fills up. If it does, then off comes the lift pump and injectors.

Sam at the injection shop (owner and older guy) said if it’s not missing or running rough the injectors are fine. Which it did run fine, just filled the oil pan with diesel. When I drained it before pulling the pump to start diagnosing, got between 20-25qts. Filled a 16qt pan and then was quickly working on filling a second 16qt pan. And a plethora made it onto my cardboard driveway protectors

So we’ll see!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal