Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ridgid Tools  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Ridgid Tools
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:41:34 PM »
So this is a comment on Ridgid Tools of which I own none....weird right? Actually I think I own a Ridgid template for door hinges, but that's not really a tool as much as its an extruded plastic gauge.

Anyhoo.....I bought a DeWalt Cordless Impact Wrench (not impact Driver...an impact for lug nuts etc.). I wanted the 20V but the 18V was on sale and I'm not running a NASCAR crew so figured the 18v would be fine (and it is). But I only had the one battery that came with it. Then I misplaced the charger (don't ask.... :facepalm:). So over the weekend I went to HD to another battery and charger so I could always have one charged up. To buy a battery and charger they wanted $170....hmmm.....I don't think so. I looked around and sure enough...18v Impact Driver for $99....oh and it came with 2 batteries, charger and a bag. Done. (If you're following along here you obviously see how this thread is ALL about Ridgid right?  :rolleyes:).

Anyway....just as I'm set to go to checkout a HD guy comes up and asks me if I am all set. I tell him what I am getting, and kind of laughingly say I'd rather spend $99 on the driver, 2 batteries, charger and bag than $170 on a battery and charger.  He laughs and agrees. He then tells me he only buys Ridgid because they have a lifetime warranty which also includes the batteries. He said he has never had to buy a battery because when they go he just ships them back to Ridgid and they replace them. I had no idea their warranty covered everything....forever.

I'm a fan of DeWalt and Milwaukee stuff but this has me re-thinking things for future purchases. I just figured I would pass that on. And of course....last night I found the charger I misplaced. But now I can always have 2 batteries in chargers if I need to.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:32:35 PM by Wilbur »

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Rigid Tools
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »
Sorry Wibur, but i have to point out that they wanted to be different and as such, it is spelled 'Ridgid'...  :rolleyes:
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:04:39 PM »
I know that they are made in ohio, and I truly look at them as HD version as kobalt is to lowes...............?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:45:40 PM »
Yup -

HD -- Ridgid, Husky
bLowes -- Kobalt
Ryan

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
I know that they are made in ohio, and I truly look at them as HD version as kobalt is to lowes...............?

I have a big 1/2" corded drill that has lifetime warranty & zero issues after hard use 13 years later. I also have a smaller 1/2" corded drill no issues. Then I just used the sawzall corded that I cut every small lug off of a set of 37" bloggers. One sawzall & 3 sets of leather gloves because every two lugs the gloves were so hot I rotated them. Literally the rubber hand guard was sliding off if the sawzall. Anyhow that's my real world experience with that brand. I'm hard on tools like Don is hard on things that fly.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
Sorry Wibur, but i have to point out that they wanted to be different and as such, it is spelled 'Ridgid'...  :rolleyes:

Yep....you're right of course. My bad!

They are sold at Home Depot but also sold lots of other places as well, so it's not a brand produced only for HD (like Ozark Trail camping stuff for WalMart)

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:22:17 PM »
I'm hard on tools like Don is hard on things that fly.....
Or drive...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:39:50 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgid Tools
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
I'm replacing all my dewalt stuff with Ridgid as things break or need replacing.

My NiCad batteries on my 18v Dewalt XRP set are finally giving up the ghost, so I was left with a problem.... replace w/ old tech, buy new Lithium Ion and a converter (expensive), buy new Dewalt tools, w/ Lithium Ion, or do something radical. I chose the latter, and bought the Ridgid 5 piece set. So far I love em, more than my old Dewalts. And the LSA and free battery replacement on the Ridgid stuff is a big deal to me. Heck, if I had that on my dewalts I'd still be using em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 03:52:12 PM »
I've been told by a few guys that you have to register the tools/batts to receive the warranty. Not sure if you need to keep receipts or not (if you do, photo copy them..HD receipts fade quickly!)
Been using ridgid since they first came out, but never registered anything. Most of the original batts are toast, so I've been upgrading to lithiums as needed. Tools are great btw. Also the jigsaw is very well built.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 08:54:23 PM »
Yes you do have to register everything. Easy to do online with receipt and serial number off the tool/battery/charger etc

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 09:05:39 PM »
So do they do they up grade on batteries or is that on the purchaser of the product? I would think a forever warranty would include the upgrade when the old style ran out

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 09:25:21 PM »
I think they do Bob but it's a good question. I dunno...

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 08:19:37 AM »
I have many Ridgid tools. I prefer them and Dewalt. What is the deciding factor for me is how it feels. I need to be able to handle it all day and grab for it without looking. It also needs to have few or no safety switches. In the trades the tool must be able to run with only one hand. For example, circular saws need to be operated with one hand in awkward positions. Some homeowner tools require two hands to engage the tool which will not work when used daily for years.
I bought my first Ridgid 24 V kit back in 05. I have literally used the kit at least five days a week since then. Some days they never shut off. I have had them so hot they have caught on fire in my hand.
The warranties must be filed when the tool is purchased. I have an account and keep a computer file with them and a paper file with me in the truck. I have had the 24V batteries replaced eight times now. I use to have to take them to a service center and now they handle that in the tool rental departments. Tools are tested there but sent off for repair or replacement. I have had the hammer drill rebuilt five times. I have framed many many homes with the circular saw. I always have an electric backup in the truck but prefer the battery saw for maneuverability and weight. My kit includes the sawzall, circular saw, flashlight, hammer drill, battery charger, and two batteries all in a bag.
The bad side is they no longer make 24V stuff, because customers complained about the weight, so this last year my drill was replaced with the “ upgraded” 18 volt. It is a disappointment and not as tough as the dewalt 20V which is really an 18V. It just spikes to 20v at startup then runs at 18v. But, when they replace the tool, since they go from 24v to 18v, they also give you two batteries and a charger with it. So now i have their 20 and 18 volt stuff based on the first 05 purchase. When the 24 v batteries get replaced they come in packaging from Ryobi.
I am picky with my tools and take care of them. But they work hard and i never leave them at home. I have had Ridgid lose my warranty information before. They are always trying to make it difficult to get them fixed or replaced and it takes about six weeks in total. But, they always end up doing the exchange or replacement or repair. I plan to see how long this will keep going.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 10:43:37 AM »
Ryobi packaging huh? Interesting.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »
Repairing battery packs is not that hard. When I get a break I’ll do A write up. Little li cells and a soldier gun and you are back in business and you can increase the amp hour capacity too

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 04:58:26 PM »
I do not know if they outsource the batteries to Ryobi or what. But, every new battery i get from them comes in a box marked Ryobi. I had a Home Depot tool guy and repair guy say that Ryobi bought Ridgid or is in some kind of a partnership. Not sure if that was accurate. If you look at the displays Ryobi has the most shelf space near the entry to the tool aisle in all the Home Depots around here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal