Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Bus  (Read 110085 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:44:07 PM »
So its time I fully matured and grew up.

My part time truck is a 2001 LB7 CCLB Dmax LT with 37s, a 12 inch Full Throttle Suspension lift, Weld Cheyenne Evo wheels, Longhorn Fab traction bars, side dumped straight exhaust and PPEI tuned and a few other mods.  Its a long story, which I will gladly relay, but the bottom line is I can't really use it for its intended purpose with a loading height for the tailgate at around 50 inches.  The plan is to neuter it and replace the 37s with 35s and the 12 inch lift with a 6 inch lift.

Here it is with the drop hitch for reference,  IIRC that is an 18 inch drop hitch...and a picture next to the LML dually for size

So, first for a little background.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: The Bus
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:26:32 PM »
Gigantor!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 10:31:02 PM »
I bought a 2001 K2500HD LT Victory Red and Graphite leather new in April of 2001.  I got the 6.0 gas because I was scared of the first gen Dmax.  Kept it and drove it for 11 years.  One day during a hurrican evacuation it hit me.  There was no gasoline and people were on the side of the road throwing rocks at each other while rednecks with their diesels were rolling up to the pump and getting fuel.  That's when it hit me.  I needed a diesel with an auxiliary tank.

Now my beautiful baby girls had grown up in that truck from babies and loved that truck because with a 6 inch lift and 34s they could see out of the truck in their car seats and see over most of the other cars.  When I mentioned selling it they cried.  So as I searched for trucks I ran across many diesels but decided between a 2003 7.3L Ford and an exact replica of my gas Chevy.  The girls voted for the Chevy.  It was the same year, same LT model, same color combo.  The only difference was the diesel engine and a long box bed.  It was in WA state and I discussed over the phone with the dealer who seemed reputable and because it had only 125K on it I assumed it was a safe bet that it was in great shape.  My gasser only had 130K on it after 11 years so I was pumped about getting the same truck with potential for many more miles.

So I wire the money and they agree to deliver the truck to the house.

This picture is the day I sold the gasser.  My little one was balling hysterically

They arrive with the truck and the first thing that I notice is that it looks MUCH bigger in person than it did in the pictures.  Apparently the long bed masks the true size.  It dwarfed my gasser short box with a 6 inch lift and 34s.

It was in great..no phenomenal shape.  The interior looked unused and the body was perfect as was the paint.  The tires were brand new Toyo OC MTs and I was pumped.

The very next morning I went to start it and .....spinning but no start......

And thus began the crash course in modern diesels.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »
So I was a bit panicked and depressed by a purchase that was not working.  I decided that I didn't know enough about diesels to really asess the situation so I thought I'd find a diesel shop to give it a thorough going through to help me understand if the issue was minor or if there were any other issues present. 

My intent was that if there was an issue, I'd send it back and squash the deal.

So the mechanic I chose went through it and pronouced the issue to be filter head losing prime and a weak CP3.  He also pulled a P0700 code which he said was no big deal because lifted trucks often through that code. (remember that little tidbit for later in the story)

I worked a deal with the dealer to split the cost of the repairs and went ahead and had the mechanic throw the ADII165 on it and a Banks Big Head turbo wastegate.  All was well in the world and since the split of the expense with the dealer came with a settlement agreement which meant they were washing their hands.

So....3 months later I connect it to a 10,000 pound trailer for the first time and about 150 miles away from home......I learn what limp mode is.

Apparently that "nothing to worry about" P0700 code was a clue to the previously limped transmission.  At this point I really begin to reseach and learn about modern diesels.  I settle on a shop 140 miles to the East in Sulphur LA, Calvin's which is also home base to Kory Willis of PPEI tuning.

I drop the truck off and $6000 later I have a bullet proof built tranny capable of holding well over 850HP at the wheels and EFI Live tuning with DSP 5 switch.

Suddenly I love my truck again.... despite the fact that Kory tells me that balance rates are not bad, but at some point in the future I'll be needing injectors.....

A year later, I'm back for all new Bosch injectors, all new injector lines, cups pulled and resealed...and another $6000 bill

So now I'm nearly $40k into a truck that's worth 18-20K.  Real smart financial move but I got a great education on diesels,right?

It gets better.  We decide on buying a trailer...a fifth wheel.  Well, that makes using the LB7 impossible without lowering it and doing a bunch of other work since the fifth wheel we want is really more than the truck is rated for.  Thus I become the proud owner of a new LML dually...and decide to keep the LB7

So 3 years into this truck and it runs great looks great and I put a total of 7,000 miles on it.

We bought a weekend/hide site and all the driving back and forth is putting too many miles on the LML.  Thus I want to be able to use the LB7 and drive it more often without looking for parking garages with 8ft clearance....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:03:12 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »
You've probably got one of the nicest '01 LB7s in the country Charles... Will still look awesome dropped a bit too. The first gen front ends are still my favorite to this day.

My uncle has an 02, exactly like my LBZ in color and trim, but long box, with less than 75k miles on it. I told him don't you ever trade that in... Just call me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:50:53 AM »
So here is the game plan.

Zone 6 inch lift
Used set of stock rear leaf springs of a 2010 (the currents are Deaver 10 inch springs)
All new front end joints and bushings
All new steering linkage
New AC Delco upper control arms (the FTS lift has the tubular with those fancy joints)
35 inch rubber (still debating but likely Toyo)
New exhaust...a real exhaust with a muffler that goes out the back

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »
Oh and it got its name from the girls because it was a big, loud, smelly and bouncy as the school bus they rode to a field trip....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:03:14 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 12:07:19 PM »
Was your daughter crying because you were selling her truck?

Oh and zone lift??? Has lowered torsion bar s which will reduce ground clearance in the high center mode. BDS and some others make good kits tucked up as well. Cognito, Fabtech, Superlift...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 10:18:32 PM »
Yep, Don.  She was cyring because she was attached the the "Big Red Truck",  that too has passed and now she wants to drive "the Bus" when she turns 16.

Yeah my other truck had a traditional dropped T bars.  I'm not spending another $1200 to tuck the bars up.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 05:10:22 PM »
Lift ordered from DMax Store today.  Leaf springs came in from LKQ today so I will pick them up Monday.

Next weekend I plan to start on the rear first which will put the truck at a better angle when I go to start playing with the front.  The good thing is that I had previously installed a lift on the 2001 gasser so prior lessons learned should be helpful.  I may have to find and weld some bumpstops or get some hydro bumps to install once the 12 inch lift is off.  I hope I can net the cost out to zero by selling the 12 inch lift and springs and tires.

OldKooT

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:40:55 AM »
Looks like you have a plan of attack. I am looking forward to watching it's execution.

Removing that much lift can be done without drive shaft modifications?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 08:37:19 AM »
I probably need to back up and show some history of what I have done to it, although not much.

I did replace the 2 section drive shaft with a very large one piece aluminium shaft from the DMax store.  It solved all my vibration problems at take off.  It needs no further modification and has successfully been run on stock height up to 12 inch lifted trucks.

The front is factory, which makes it only good to put in fwd below about 10mph because of the extreme angles.  Lowering that will be much better

You can see here the two compared.  Also had to change the rear yoke to accommodate the larger Ujoint.  Note the snap on 2x6 used to drive the new seal.  Pull the shafts out a bit to try to measure rotational torque so I could torque the pinion nut down to close to the same amount instead of re-setting the entire rear end.  It has worked so far without issue.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:43:14 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »
and the final result.  Best $700 I ever spent.

OldKooT

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »
I have one of those snap-on 2x6's also. Almost a requirement for a Dodge, it's used to adjust door hinges and injector pump timing and all sorts of stuff.

That 10mph thing with the front DS would be a real headache in my world. I bet your looking forward to a lower more "usable" truck.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Bus
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »
Yep. Sure am. Picked these up at LKQ today. Off. 2008 with 68000 miles.

This place is massive. 10 racks high full of parts.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:09:21 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 04:33:13 PM »
Looks good so far.

You can get the brackets to get your TB up in the frame. There are some that are universal and some made for other kits. Just a few $$ but sure helps. They just require you move the TB mount back a few inches.

I can't move mine back with the titan tank. I was lucky and got a cognito kit for the old price and I have the upper arms.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »
Those weld wheels are absolutely terrible.  You should let me take those off your hands.   It's just me trying to save you from embarrassment.  Buy some bmf's or something better.

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
I think I know what dealer you speak of..... being @ a WA state based dealership myself I happen to deal with them every so often :-X. Excited to see the transformation nonetheless!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
I bet I know the dealer too... they buy trucks, lift them, jack up the price... that one? :)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
I can say it. Northwest Motorsport. Tools

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »
They do tons of volume... 4 lots now... Schmucks

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 02:34:36 AM »
Yup. Those tools. Exactly who I was thinking of :)
Ryan

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 07:24:17 AM »
Those weld wheels are absolutely terrible.  You should let me take those off your hands.   It's just me trying to save you from embarrassment.  Buy some bmf's or something better.

Keep your fingers crossed that the back space is all wrong for the new kit....

The new lift kit I ordered from the DMax Store is going to be delivered today!

I think it may rain this weekend so it looks like I may try to get the rear done before my daughters BDay party on Sunday

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 07:43:34 AM »
 Good luck Tex

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 08:01:30 AM »
If I was closer, and didn't have to decorate the house, and paint my 45, and do office work, I would help ya in a heart beat. I've become fairly efficient at sitting in a chair with a cold one. :P
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »
I've become fairly efficient at sitting in a chair with a cold one. :P

Its a tough job, but someone has to do it....

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 11:55:37 AM »
"Tell 'em the Bone sent ya"... I'm so sick of those commercials. every time i hear one i want to call them up and blast them. your truck alone could fill pages of BBB complaints on those guys, let alone the multiple other victims I have encountered out here.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

OldKooT

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 01:11:09 PM »
Completely unrelated to the present discussion. But I had a dream last night that TRN posted a request for the best polishing compound to buff his drive-shaft. Musta been that old Hamms I drank.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »
everybody say hi to norm, he shows up every blue moon from out in left field.  he normally drops off a doozie as he is travelin thru............;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
Completely unrelated to the present discussion. But I had a dream last night that TRN posted a request for the best polishing compound to buff his drive-shaft. Musta been that old Hamms I drank.
Me and you need to get together. Hamms was post wheeling beverage of choice, Olympia post hunting, Rainier during fishing. (less projectiles and vehicles involved.) Not sure how it started, but we never mixed things up. Don't know too many others out there that will even choose to drink Hamms. How do you feel about Yuengling?

oh, and i like the build thread RN.  8) I've got some flaming bags of dog byproducts w/ NW MS on it for ya.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 07:09:14 PM »
Loving the DOT!!  Nicely done. I'm. Big fan of yuengling BTW

NMS bags of poo. Love it

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 07:19:47 PM »
I have been compared to the hamms bear
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 08:01:09 PM »
Haha.... tool was the word..  there a lot of right ways to be a reputable dealer. its also difficult to sell a lot of vehicles and not have any problems.  You have to know that its coming and be ready, ready to make it right and stand behind your product and your name 100%, that will set you apart from the sleazy dealers and keep your customers coming back.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 09:09:41 PM »
Hamms... My first beer may have been a hamms out of my grampas garage fridge!!

NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »
Guess what time it is?!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2015, 10:42:11 PM »
Figured you'd have that knocked out this evening already. What's the hold up anyhow? :o

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2015, 11:13:09 PM »
What's the hold up? he just got snockered up on something that came in a blue box!!

Hamms huh. My gramps drank those as well. I asked him why he didn't drink something a little more classy, like coors or bud, and he said without hesitation "I don't get paid a mechanic's salary, I live on social security".

I miss that old man.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »
Well there was a mixup and delay with the freight carrier. But I have been slacking for the last hour celebrating my birthday with the family. No drinking yet. Packed and making the two hour drive to the hide to begin surgery in the morning. After a drink before bed  Did score some Duluth Trading schwag. 

Flannel shirt jack and a lined firehose vest. Red neck heaven

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2015, 11:24:11 PM »
I'd sport that shirt, proudly.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2015, 11:24:32 PM »
Nice, how is that fire hose material? Been wanting a pair of pants to try out.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2015, 11:29:12 PM »
I have the pants. Tough as hell and stiff. No chaps needed for hunting

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »
heres a couple of review for you shawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIV8qhsmqDs

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 12:05:26 AM »
Thanks Nate! Think I'll pull the trigger on a pair....

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 12:19:36 AM »
I have several items from Duluth Trading and will buy over and over. The firehouse last a very long time. I have bibs and fleece line firehouse pants. Long tail thirst and two chamois shirts. I wear them all the time. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2015, 01:01:02 AM »
Only thing I would add is that the pants are cut like Wranglers and not Levis

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2015, 01:15:48 AM »

Only thing I would add is that the pants are cut like Wranglers and not Levis

There's a term to describe that fit lol

NRA Life Member

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2015, 02:52:01 AM »
Got a nice lined flannel shirt for my birthday too ;) not Duluth though, Costco :thumb
Ryan

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »
Well there was a mixup and delay with the freight carrier. But I have been slacking for the last hour celebrating my birthday with the family. No drinking yet. Packed and making the two hour drive to the hide to begin surgery in the morning. After a drink before bed  Did score some Duluth Trading schwag. 

Flannel shirt jack and a lined firehose vest. Red neck heaven

Bro,
I'm all over those free swingin' shirt...Dropped enough hints, hope I score one for the Christmas!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2015, 10:12:30 AM »
DD-GO here (Decent DOT Goin' on)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »
Ok. Bringing it back around.

Gave it a bath before taking it under the knife. Last time this tall.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal